Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
As a Bayern fan do you think Thiago would consider a move to Utd or is his heart set on Liverpool as we all suspect
Well, he's 29. I honestly don't think you can lure him with a project, that's set to come to fruition 2 or 3 years down the road. Being able to contest for the CL will be important to him.
Seen from that aspect, I think Liverpool certainly has the better arguments right now. The question is, will Liverpool pay up or not. I don't see us selling him for pittance. Well, actually i do, as 35m € are already an absurdly cheap fee for a player like him.
If Liverpool doesn't meet Bayern's expectations doors might swing open for others. But there hasn't been much noise about other offers, so far.
It seems like an interesting situation. He got probably tapped up by Klopp during the negotiations, and now after Thiago showed up at them with the conditions he was able to bargain for an extension, they might have started getting second thoughts.
It could leave Thiago in a loophole he certainly didn't want to be in. Let's see what happens, perhaps City will jump in.

Nick7

Oh I agree don't worry.

I was just highlighting why people might be reticent to sign him on anything that burns us like Hargreaves and Schweinsteiger did. Bayern know when to sell players.

I will say though, if I had the chance to sign Thiago I'd take it, he's one of my favourite players.
Ah yeah I get it. Just trying to point out the absurdity of it.

croadyman

Well, he's 29. I honestly don't think you can lure him with a project, that's set to come to fruition 2 or 3 years down the road. Being able to contest for the CL will be important to him.
Seen from that aspect, I think Liverpool certainly has the better arguments right now. The question is, will Liverpool pay up or not. I don't see us selling him for pittance. Well, actually i do, as 35m € are already an absurdly cheap fee for a player like him.
If Liverpool doesn't meet Bayern's expectations doors might swing open for others. But there hasn't been much noise about other offers, so far.
It seems like an interesting situation. He got probably tapped up by Klopp during the negotiations, and now after Thiago showed up at them with the conditions he was able to bargain for an extension, they might have started getting second thoughts.
It could leave Thiago in a loophole he certainly didn't want to be in. Let's see what happens, perhaps City will jump in.
You make a particularly good point about not being able to lure him with a project over 2 or 3 years.

Certainly suggests that only Liverpool & City are viable options in that case but thanks for the input anyway.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Thiago is not swapping Bayern Munich for United to come warm the bench. What is wrong with everyone seriously? He's not a bench player. If he comes to England it will be to play regularly. Probably at Liverpool or maybe even City or Chelsea.

He's not a DM and he's way too good to be a back up player for us. We haven't even been a regular CL club of late.

Transfers do crazy things to people on here.
No no no. We need quality depth that's the only way we can get to the top. So let's sign a world class player who is on high wages to compete with Bruno and Pogba.

RashyForPM

What on earth was he thinking in 2013,still an absolutely staggering decision to say the least
Worst managerial appointment and manager in our history. Even worse than the guy (Docherty) who got us relegated; I think he came about 3rd the year after he came back up.

RooneyLegend

Thiago is not swapping Bayern Munich for United to come warm the bench. What is wrong with everyone seriously? He's not a bench player. If he comes to England it will be to play regularly. Probably at Liverpool or maybe even City or Chelsea.

He's not a DM and he's way too good to be a back up player for us. We haven't even been a regular CL club of late.

Transfers do crazy things to people on here.
Standard of players to bench him don't really exist in today's game. Him coming here and being a squad player is madness. He's one of the best midfielders in the world.

sport2793

This post makes a lot of sense. The only thing I would consider is that I recently read an article saying there is no love lost between Thiago and Pep so for that reason there's no chance he goes to City.

Gordon S

Pretty much every time i watch him play he plays quite deep in their midfield. Kind of like a dlp. He doesn’t seem to shy away from a tackle and uses his body well. Quite sure he could play in a double pivot with one of Matic, Pogba or Fred. Or alone as a dlp. Really think we are missing that kind of metronome in our midfield. Would make it harder for a team like Southampton to break us down.

mav_9me

Looks like our name is used to put pressure on Liverpool.
Why are people paying any attention to this?

We know exactly the sorts of players we're looking at this summer, and know the positions we're most in need of. We also know that Ole submits a list of options for these position. Thiago isn't on any list, nor does he fit any criteria that Utd are now using for targeting options.

He's not young or up and coming, he has a poor injury record, no sell-on potential and doesn't play in a position we need fixing. Next.
Pretty obvious to me.

Scholsey2004

If only Liverpool had the money they could have gotten Werner and Thiago for reasonable prices
I'm not sure Werner would have made much sense for Liverpool. They currently play with two wide forwards and a false 9 of sorts. Difficult to imagine Werner in any of those three roles.

davidmichael

Why Barca aren’t all over this I do not know, they’re desperate for someone like Thiago alongside De Jong and have been desperate for someone like Thiago for years.

Rakitic, Vidal, Coutinho, Dembele, Semedo, Neto, Umtiti and Braithwaite are all basically for sale on top of selling Arthur and I’m sure they’d sell Griezmann if they got a decent offer so if they had any sense they’d be all in for Thiago who’d no doubt move back there in a heartbeat.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not sure Werner would have made much sense for Liverpool. They currently play with two wide forwards and a false 9 of sorts. Difficult to imagine Werner in any of those three roles.
Disagree. End of the day, they don't have good enough dept quality for Mane & Salah. Werner will also offer them different dimension, another plan if plan A doesn't work.

If anything, I think they need Werner more than Thiago. Thiago is an upgrade for them but he's already 29 and has injury risk, don't think it's a good idea to waste their small budget on 29 midfielder when they already have Henderson, Wijnaldum on their 30s while Milner on mid 30s. Beside, they spent 50m on Keita, they should have try to improve & develop him after spent that much of money.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Haven't Liverpool based journals already rules this out?
Haven't read it. But so far the news about Liverpool interested in him is stronger than United interested in him, Bayern could use our name to get Liverpool increase their price. Feels like our name pops out of nowhere.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Last time we signed a 29 year old world class centre mid from Bayern everyone got excited & it ended in disaster. I see the same here if we go for him.

Bayern never let players go unless they think they are finished at the top level. I wouldn’t touch him, especially with his injury issues.

He’s going for relatively cheap & is a Barca boy, why isn’t Pep going for him? There must be a reason as they are losing David Silva this window too.

Honestly I think we should leave him to Liverpool. This reeks of the Woodward “marquee” signings period from 14-17, barely any of them worked out.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't believe for a second we're in for him, it simply don't add up even a bit. That's not me saying we shouldn't be, just that I don't think there's anything in the links to us. All Bayern/media driven.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Last time we signed a 29 year old world class centre mid from Bayern everyone got excited & it ended in disaster. I see the same here if we go for him.

Bayern never let players go unless they think they are finished at the top level. I wouldn’t touch him, especially with his injury issues.

He’s going for relatively cheap & is a Barca boy, why isn’t Pep going for him? There must be a reason as they are losing David Silva this window too.

Honestly I think we should leave him to Liverpool. This reeks of the Woodward “marquee” signings period from 14-17, barely any of them worked out.
Bayern don’t want to let him go! It’s not even remotely similar.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't believe for a second we're in for him, it simply don't add up even a bit. That's not me saying we shouldn't be, just that I don't think there's anything in the links to us. All Bayern/media driven.
Not at all. They want to keep him.

Siorac

He was 31.

Mainoldo

We don’t need him to start. Grab him as a squad player. With 5 subs next season and hopefully a champions league. He’d be perfect.

Pep's Suit

Is any team actually interested in him? Wouldn't surprise me to see him join Inter in the end.

Grande

Worst managerial appointment and manager in our history. Even worse than the guy (Docherty) who got us relegated; I think he came about 3rd the year after he came back up.
Tommy Doc didn't get us relegated. It was a botched renovation process like this one, with Wilf McGuinnes (Giggs?), Frank O'Farrell (Moyes) and a spent Busby (LVG/Mou?) leaving Docherty a mess of unconfident, unmotivated, untalented and unready players. If anything, Tommy Doc was slightly like Ole in that he brought in a blend of positovity, patience and planning, and got everyone in on it. The season after the relegation was one of the most exciting and optimistic seasons between Sir Matt and sir Alex, with players like Macari, Buchan, Daly, Morgan providing grit flair and speed, ,McIlroy and Coppell breaking through - United averaged 47 000 people pr game, the highest in Division Two AND Division One!

The season after promotion we did brilliantly for a newly promoted team, 3rd and an FA Cup final, and the we came sixth but pipped Liverpool for the Treble by winning the FA cup. Had it not been for Tommy's unquenchable thirst for real love, who knows where it might have gone? Sadly all this is completely OT.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel like comparisons to Sanchez and Schweinsteiger are lazy. Thiago is very much at the top of his game and a brilliant midfielder. We are looking to clear out Lingard, Dalot, Jones, Smalling, Sanchez and maybe even more. If we brought in just Sancho and say one defender, is it really a valid argument to say Thiago's introduction would cause a problem to our wage bill? Sanchez alone would cater for Sancho + a new deal for Pogba. Then you have all the other deadwood on top.

Of course, he would be a prospect on higher wages than say, Donny VdB or Grealish, but he's a player of a much higher profile, and one who would suit us in a lot of ways. Not to forget the transfer fee is a v. good price for him.

MadMike

Is any team actually interested in him? Wouldn't surprise me to see him join Inter in the end.
Yeah that could well be a possibility
It would surprise me. Inter don't have an infinite salary budget and they recently signed Christian Eriksen for the playmaking position. They will likely focus on other areas of the pitch come summer, they already have a fairly aging squad especially in the wing and cb positions.

croadyman

I feel like comparisons to Sanchez and Schweinsteiger are lazy. Thiago is very much at the top of his game and a brilliant midfielder. We are looking to clear out Lingard, Dalot, Jones, Smalling, Sanchez and maybe even more. If we brought in just Sancho and say one defender, is it really a valid argument to say Thiago's introduction would cause a problem to our wage bill? Sanchez alone would cater for Sancho + a new deal for Pogba. Then you have all the other deadwood on top.

Of course, he would be a prospect on higher wages than say, Donny VdB or Grealish, but he's a player of a much higher profile, and one who would suit us in a lot of ways. Not to forget the transfer fee is a v. good price for him.
Yeah he wouldn't be on anywhere near the same astronomical wages as Sanchez,also he wants to leave rather than Bayern letting him go like they did with Schweinsteiger.

I also don't buy into this concern about him moving to the premier league at 29 and is still a class player despite the injuries.

Having said that my gut feeling is he wants someone who is competing for things right now and see him joining Liverpool in the end.

Would be very surprised if Ole changed his transfer strategy to accomodate him but stranger things have happened.

Alemar

Considering Matic is actually somewhat older, Thiago could make some sense in the end of the day. At the very least it gives us an optionality and depth which we now lack.

Mainoldo

Considering Matic is actually somewhat older, Thiago could make some sense in the end of the day. At the very least it gives us an optionality and depth which we now lack.
Thiago isn’t a DM though. He’ll play the Pogba role.

croadyman

We're crying out for a midfielder like him.
Yeah that is why him joining you is a real possibility if you are prepared to meet his wage demands.

Personally think we would pay him what he wants but certain he wants to join the finished article not a 2/3 year project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.