Tom Cleverley: Watford Interim Head Coach 2024

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Keano marching over there right now demanding a role on the coaching staff

Tyrion

Could at least spell his name right in the title.
When I tried to find out his age, I googled his name and instead up came a picture of James Cleverly, the home secretary. :lol:

They've had 26 managers since 2000 according to Wikipedia. Half their total and they were founded in 1903 so as many as the previous 97 years. Javi Garcia, their longest serving manager under the current owner, who's owned them for 12 years, got just 66 games and was sacked in September. I'm actually amazed.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They've tried almost every other obtainable manager in world football the past few years. Running out of options now so might as well give him a go.

Coincidentally I was reading an unrelated article about player wages in different divisions earlier. If true, and I don't know if it is, he's supposedly one of their's and the Championship's top earners on £50k a week. Let him earn earn his crust.

Edit: FFS, didn't realise that was an old article and that his contract expired last summer! Now retired as a player and he has been coaching the U18s since.

Last edited:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I didn't even know he had moved into management. I assumed he was still playing somewhere, and now feel old.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When I tried to find out his age, I googled his name and instead up came a picture of James Cleverly, the home secretary. :lol:

They've had 26 managers since 2000 according to Wikipedia. Half their total and they were founded in 1903 so as many as the previous 97 years. Javi Garcia, their longest serving manager under the current owner, who's owned them for 12 years, got just 66 games and was sacked in September. I'm actually amazed.
Best way to make money quickly

Red00012

My only memory of Watford is been at Vicarage Road getting thonked 4-1 Donny scoring and Ole getting the sack after

jeepers

Hope he's a better coach than he was a player. Wish him all the best.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I always liked Cleverley. It was sad to see him get so much abuse from United fans back in the day. I hope he does well.

By the way, we win the 11/12 league if he stays fit.

el3mel

I can't be that old for God's sake. No way he has already become a manager ?!

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Nice interview from him here: Watford's Tom Cleverley 'has more ambition as coach than player' - BBC Sport

“There is a lot of unfinished business from my playing career,” he explains in an interview with BBC Sport. “That drives me forward with my coaching. It motivates me every day.

“I didn’t achieve anything in the Champions League with Manchester United. The title we lost to City. I came to Watford when they were in the Premier League. I retired as a player with them in the Championship. None of it sits right.

“I left a few out there as a player. I probably lacked ambition. But as a coach I am very ambitious.”
When he got the Watford Under-18s job, former boss Sir Alex Ferguson was soon in touch.
“He gave me a couple of great pieces of advice about on-field coaching, but the main thing I take away from him is man-management,” said Cleverley. “Football is not just about 11 players. You need harmony from a full squad. He was a genius at doing that.”

Ole'sattheWheel

I saw him in the cinema in Altrincham in about 2012. Can’t remember the film that was on but I think it was the first celeb I’d ever seen out and about. So that memory sticks with me vividly despite being objectively uninteresting

Precaution

I saw him in the cinema in Altrincham in about 2012. Can’t remember the film that was on but I think it was the first celeb I’d ever seen out and about. So that memory sticks with me vividly despite being objectively uninteresting
I saw him and Ashley Young in a club in Watford called Destiny/Oceana (think it swapped names by then) went upto them as ol' Ashley was bopping his head by the DJ stage and said hey, looked at me and was like "who the fk are you" kinda look when I asked for an autograph, Tom didn't give much of a crap either, fun night.