Top 10 Support/Second-Strikers of All-Time

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cantona, Baggio, Bergkamp, Totti, Del Piero.

Messi was more of wing forward/playmaker/goalscorer rather than a second striker for me, Maradona is more of AM type, and I've never watched Pele played. Maybe Cruyff? but he is more of total football type of player in free attack role?

DVG7

I always considered a second striker as someone who could play the 9 and 10 positions consistently at a 9/10 level. Basically, expert level finisher who can also dictate a game with creativity.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Cantona, Baggio, Bergkamp, Totti, Del Piero.

Messi was more of wing forward/playmaker/goalscorer rather than a second striker for me, Maradona is more of AM type, and I've never watched Pele played. Maybe Cruyff? but he is more of total football type of player in free attack role?
Cruyff was the one that made the false 9 famous.

Indnyc

No love for Rooney? Definitely fits the bill and truly up there with this work rate

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Puskas. Without any doubt in my mind. I don't count Pele as he is much more then 2nd striker.

More on my podcast with bepo, Wednesday, 12:00 am, coming on pay per view

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Italy had a great run of producing this sort of forward with Mancini-Zola-Baggio-Del Piero-Totti. Despite that they often seemed to have lots of difficulty integrating them into the national team.
Aye. It's that tension between rigid, defence-first tactics and enabling creative attacking play. Most Italian managers were clearly on one end of that spectrum. There's no real reason why they could not have accommodated Rivera and Mazzola in the same team - even as central attacking players they were very different in style and could potentially have complemented each other quite well. Same with some of the superstar attackers who sat on the bench twiddling their thumbs in the 1990s.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Aye. It's that tension between rigid, defence-first tactics and enabling creative attacking play. Most Italian managers were clearly on one end of that spectrum. There's no real reason why they could not have accommodated Rivera and Mazzola in the same team - even as central attacking players they were very different in style and could potentially have complemented each other quite well. Same with some of the superstar attackers who sat on the bench twiddling their thumbs in the 1990s.
Was wondering the same about Totti and Del Piero yesterday and if I could fit them together in the same team in the current draft.

Eventually decided not to as I couldn't be arsed to research how they did together in the early 2000's.

Enigma_87

You know who
To elaborate further on these names, probably Vialli and Signori will fall in the same SS category?

Vialli used to play as a striker and second striker, whilst Signori was more of a wide forward/playing off a target man, yet they could play as a #9 ala Villa.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To elaborate further on these names, probably Vialli and Signori will fall in the same SS category?

Vialli used to play as a striker and second striker, whilst Signori was more of a wide forward/playing off a target man, yet they could play as a #9 ala Villa.
Yeah. Digressing a little because both were all-rounders in that regard, but both were criminally under-used at international level. Italy struggled to break teams down right through the 1990s, grinding out narrow wins in 1990, failing to qualify in 1992 because they draw half their games, relying on individual brilliance from Baggio in 1994, and missing countless chances to fall at the group stages in 1996. Vialli was dropped for most of 1990 and didn't play again after 1992, despite playing so well for Juventus in the mid-1990s. Signori only really featured in 1994 and was sorely missed at the other tournaments - especially at Euro '96 when he came off the back of 24 goals in 31 games in Serie A. Sacchi's rigidity didn't really help.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Was wondering the same about Totti and Del Piero yesterday and if I could fit them together in the same team in the current draft.

Eventually decided not to as I couldn't be arsed to research how they did together in the early 2000's.
Definitely. In a diamond or 3412 with Totti in his 2000 Roma position at 10 with Del Piero as a second striker with probably Vieri as the 9. That would have been a great front three

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This category is about as confusing as the CM one.

'Pure #10' has become completely bastardised over the last half-decade, too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Definitely. In a diamond or 3412 with Totti in his 2000 Roma position at 10 with Del Piero as a second striker with probably Vieri as the 9. That would have been a great front three
That's almost how they were set up at Euro 2000, and would have been if not for Vieri's injury and Del Piero's patchy fitness after his knee surgery.