U18's v Blackburn

Bertie Wooster

Team:

Myles (GK), Kamason, Amass, Jackson, Nolan, Devaney, Mantato, Ibragimov, Musa, Curley, Biancheri.

Subs: Armer, Harrison (GK), Thwaites, Williams & Wheatley.

Very strong bench - presumably many of those will be starting for the U21's on Monday, but are there in reserve in case we need to guarantee a win today.

*Edited after seeing the post about the late team change.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How highly is Thwaites rated? Looks a tidy player from the little we've seen so far.

Bertie Wooster

I've edited the OP starting line up after seeing the above post about the late team change.

Shame a key player like McAllister is missing, but good to see Ibragimov again.

AltiUn

Blackburn hit the inside of the post :nervous:

AltiUn

Myles with the blunder of the season to give Blackburn the lead

saik

FFS . Our defense being a shambles again. Mainly the GK.

Bertie Wooster

Bloody hell, Myles (again)!

How comfortable is he with playing out from the back? Both he and Harrison are prone to mistakes with it, but whereas Harrison's looks more from over confidence and looks like he enjoys trying to do it, Myles always looks quite uncomfortable and not very confident with the ball at his feet for me?

saik

That's the one :)
Poor lad. I feel bad for him. Can't be good for his confidence to make so many mistakes.

On other hand, Musa is again not involved in the game at all and has broke down at least one good attack. Even at this level he appears to be half the player Wheatley is.

saik

Did everything but score there. Good pressing to win the ball by Musa but then hits it straight at the keeper.

saik

Mantato gets one back. Great footwork before finishing with his left.

lysglimt

Scout
Musa has to bury that
I don't want to be too negative towards Musa - but it's hard not to. I can't remember the last time we had an attacking player so completely unlikely to score a goal

Bertie Wooster

Really frustrating half of football - very wasteful in attack, squandering a lot of good positions. Very sloppy in defence, gifting goals away.

There's a win for the taking if we smarten up at both ends. And thankfully we've got a strong bench.

I did worry when we had a couple of draws after promoting some key players to the U21's, and with the City away game approaching and their games in hand to take into account, that the gap could become worryingly close if the players didn't start picking up some wins again. Hopefully we'll step it up in the 2nd half and get what's become quite an important victory.

saik

We're level right after the break. Mantato with the goal again.

saik

Free header for Ibragimov there. Should have really scored.

Gungerz

It's mental that Mantato is this good on the wing but also considered the #1 LB in the country for his age.

Prodigal7

It's mental that Mantato is this good on the wing but also considered the #1 LB in the country for his age.
I don’t think he’ll play as a left back if we’re bringing in the villa left back. He’ll compete for the right forward position and I think we should also develop him as a false 9 as he has all the attributes for it.

AltiUn

Shades of Ethan Laird about him, maybe he can be the new Bale

saik

Yeah, pleased for him.

He'll be an important player for the U18's next season if he's here - any further news about his contract situation?
I have no idea, was he linked with a move away? I'm pretty sure we will give him a pro contract if he hasn't signed one already.

Edit: also to add, I think Lacey needed another season at this level after pretty much missing huge chunk of this season with injury.

Bertie Wooster

Coolly done by Mantato for his fourth. Cleverly tripping over his own feet to fool the keeper. :)

Very dominant second half showing. I thought Blackburn looked just as there for the taking in the first half, really, we were just sloppy at both ends. But been much better this half.

Bertie Wooster

I have no idea, was he linked with a move away? I'm pretty sure we will give him a pro contract if he hasn't signed one already.

Edit: also to add, I think Lacey needed another season at this level after pretty much missing huge chunk of this season with injury.
There was a linked paper story on one of the threads that we face a 'fight' to keep him as other top clubs were sniffing around. Don't know how factual it was.