U19s: United vs. Leverkusen

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Excellent won.

Rowley turned into a monster in the last moments of the game. Willock was good. Wilson is another class.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
So I asked for Harrop to come on and he came on within a few minutes, I asked for 2 more goals and they came.

Now I'd like the first team to win at least 4-0 later and I'd like to win the euromillions with the ticket I'm about to play.

jb8521

Commentator kept talking about Wilson not being able to change his pace meaning he should slow down to compose himself but not much need when he can do everything at top speed

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So I asked for Harrop to come on and he came on within a few minutes, I asked for 2 more goals and they came.

Now I'd like the first team to win at least 4-0 later and I'd like to win the euromillions with the ticket I'm about to play.

Get your lazy arse off the floor and go ask something in the matchday thread for today.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Missed the match but returned just in time to catch goals. Wilson is absolute class. btw, What was Scholes doing in there? I thought he was taking time off and hasn't returned with any kind of role yet?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
That was fecking brilliant.

Some general thoughts on the match: Neither side can't defend for toffee. Pearson looked class, especially in the first half. Most intelligent player on the pitch along with Wagener for Leverkusen.

I thought Grimshaw was good when played as a CM. Rowley did great towards the end, and in reality he were the only one of our defenders who didn't cock up in a horrifying way during the match.

Pereira looks to have the talent but needs to impose it on the game more. He could run things at this level if he manages to make himself available and collect the ball more often. Great technically and floats past players.

And Wilson, well. It was almost like he kicked up a gear when McNair went off. His pace and power is unreal, and his movement is good as well. Could've got one or two more but in the end won us the match on his own.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Wilson's just awesome. But we almost paid a heavy price for playing our best defender in midfield. As well as Grimshaw did I don't quite see how he's more needed beside the defensively solid Rothwell and Pearson than in that dodgy back four. Rothwell, Pearson and Pereira centrally with Weir to the right of 'em, McNair or Iouannou at right back and Grimshaw at the heart of defense would surely have made us more solid, as well as given us more attacking width. All's well that ends well, I guess.

datura

Wilson's just awesome. But we almost paid a heavy price for playing our best defender in midfield. As well as Grimshaw did I don't quite see how he's more needed beside the defensively solid Rothwell and Pearson than in that dodgy back four. Rothwell, Pearson and Pereira centrally with Weir to the right of 'em, McNair or Iouannou at right back and Grimshaw at the heart of defense would surely have made us more solid, as well as given us more attacking width. All's well that ends well, I guess.
This side were pretty poor defensively last season so no real surprise that we looked vulnerable. It's a shame that Love is too old, Evans looks to be having a decent season so far for the U18s so he's an option at RB.

SirFergie

That was fecking brilliant.

Some general thoughts on the match: Neither side can't defend for toffee. Pearson looked class, especially in the first half. Most intelligent player on the pitch along with Wagener for Leverkusen.

I thought Grimshaw was good when played as a CM. Rowley did great towards the end, and in reality he were the only one of our defenders who didn't cock up in a horrifying way during the match.

Pereira looks to have the talent but needs to impose it on the game more. He could run things at this level if he manages to make himself available and collect the ball more often. Great technically and floats past players.

And Wilson, well. It was almost like he kicked up a gear when McNair went off. His pace and power is unreal, and his movement is good as well. Could've got one or two more but in the end won us the match on his own.
This. We looked far more solid with 10 men to be honest.

Good to see Scholesy about. Hope he stays in a more permanent role afterwards.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
UEFA Youth League, Group A
Salford City Stadium, 4pm BST

MANCHESTER UNITED 4
(Wilson 4,89pen Pearson 10, A.Pereira 71)
BAYER LEVERKUSEN 3
(Brasnic 28,29 Wagener 61)

17/09/2013 16:53, Report by Adam Marshall
1 of 2 Next
U19: Utd 4 Leverkusen 3

United's first foray into the UEFA Youth League proved an entertaining affair as Nicky Butt's side overcame Bayer Leverkusen 4-3.
Despite the sending off of Paddy McNair, the home side earned three points through a late James Wilson penalty with Paul Scholes helping his former team-mate Butt out in his role of assisting with the Under-19 coaching on a match-by-match basis.

The Reds were quickly out of the blocks and raced into a two-goal lead inside the first 10 minutes. Oliver Schnitzler came out of his goal and failed to deal with Paddy McNair's through ball as it skipped off the greasy surface and Wilson pounced to convert a simple finish.

Moments later, Ben Pearson robbed Paterson CHato Nguendong and moved forward with menace, cutting inside to beat Schnitzler with the aid of a slight deflection. Only a smart save by Schnitzler at his near post thwarted Wilson as the hosts looked in complete control, only for Leverkusen to score twice inside a minute.

Chato Nguendong's cross allowed Benjamin Henrichs to fire against the woodwork and Marc Brasnic was first to the rebound to steer home. A slip by the otherwise impressive Nicholas Ioannou then granted Brasnic the opportunity to skip round Pierluigi Gollini to slip in the equaliser.

A breakaway raid should have given the lead to the Germans but Henrichs was unable to keep his shot down while, at the other end, Andreas Pereira forced a routine stop out of Schnitzler from a free-kick and Joe Rothwell fired over a glorious opening in first-half stoppage time from a James Weir cross.

The second half was a more sedate affair with few clear-cut chances until Pereira fizzed a drive off target after approach play by Rothwell. An injury to Pearson seemed to unsettle the Reds' rhythm as he played on before being substituted and Leverkusen led for the first time when Maximillian Wagener latched onto a stray pass in midfield and advanced to stroke the ball wide of Gollini.

To their credit, United hit back when Sam Byrne had a shot saved and Pereira was on hand to rifle in the rebound to make it 3-3. Both teams had chances, Henrichs seeing a header clawed away by Gollini, and Wilson speeding through only to shoot against Schnitzler's legs before a harsh second yellow card saw McNair sent off with quarter of an hour remaining.

Louis Rowley made a vital block to frustrate Francesco Gibaldi as the Reds withstood the inevitable late pressure and Wilson came up trumps with a minute remaining, using his pace to outstrip Marlon Frey and being sent crashing to the ground. Wilson dusted himself down to blast home the winner from 12 yards to seal a memorable triumph.

United: Gollini; Weir (Willock 69), McNair, Ioannou, Rowley; Pearson (Harrop 69), Grimshaw, Rothwell, A.Pereira (Evans 86); Byrne, Wilson. Subs not used: J.Pereira, Fletcher, Barber.

Brightonian

Craaaaap! Went on holiday and not only missed this but forgot that it was happening at all. Not used to having to remember this competition.

Sounds like it was a brilliant match, and that Wilson, Pearson and Pereira were all predictably good. Like Januzaj, first team success really only feels like a matter of time with each of those three.

I will be beholden forever to the person who links to highlights of this.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
This. We looked far more solid with 10 men to be honest.

Good to see Scholesy about. Hope he stays in a more permanent role afterwards.
This. Posted in the newbie section after the match saying that I hope the players realise just how lucky they are to have Scholes and Butt around to learn from. Who better to gain knowledge from on how to progress through the ranks at United.

lysglimt

Scout
Craaaaap! Went on holiday and not only missed this but forgot that it was happening at all. Not used to having to remember this competition.

Sounds like it was a brilliant match, and that Wilson, Pearson and Pereira were all predictably good. Like Januzaj, first team success really only feels like a matter of time with each of those three.

Serves you right for going on vacation when the rest of us work :)

jb8521

Goals here
http://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague...501/match=2012901/postmatch/report/index.html

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Cheers for the link, I really like this idea. Just a quick question though, how will the knockout stages work? Can the Youth team still be involved if the senior team doesn't make it?

jb8521

Yeah it will be whoever qualifies from the groups that go through but as far as I know it will be one legged in the knockout rounds rather than 2 legs like the seniors