Other UK broadband and tv options

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
First off, this might be the wrong place for this so feel free to move / close.

At any rate, I’m moving with my family back to the Englands (excited to finally reap the rewards of the Brexit paradise first hand) in the next couple of weeks and trying to figure out the best broadband and tv providers to work with. Will obviously get a mobile as well, but figure on doing that in person when I land.

Any recommendations, keeping in mind I want to watch football (perhaps not a surprise that), f1, etc… and fast internet for my wildly nefarious internet dealings.

Happy to hear your thoughts on both who to go to and who to avoid. Thanks in advance!

Bosws87

First off, this might be the wrong place for this so feel free to move / close.

At any rate, I’m moving with my family back to the Englands (excited to finally reap the rewards of the Brexit paradise first hand) in the next couple of weeks and trying to figure out the best broadband and tv providers to work with. Will obviously get a mobile as well, but figure on doing that in person when I land.

Any recommendations, keeping in mind I want to watch football (perhaps not a surprise that), f1, etc… and fast internet for my wildly nefarious internet dealings.

Happy to hear your thoughts on both who to go to and who to avoid. Thanks in advance!
Virgin Media if you’re in a good area is one of the better providers and provides some decent speed options, I can get 1130mbps down as the best service.

Can’t help on the Tv front as I acquire it through other less expensive means.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Yeah Virgin media is the way to go.
I pay £85 a month, which comes with 1gb internet, 2 boxes, unlimited mobile sim and the usual house phone crap, but definitely a good deal

TV package is everything including BT Sports

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Check the area you will be living in first as to what is available, not everyone can get Virgin media.

Also if you will be living in a 5G coverage zone; I pay £20 per month for 3 Mobile 5G broadband and routinely get speeds between 500-700mb.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Everyone bangs on about Virgin... I have their best package and my internet speed is all over the place.

Fine for online switch gaming but struggle to get through a film on Netflix.

DavelinaJolie

Everyone bangs on about Virgin... I have their best package and my internet speed is all over the place.

Fine for online switch gaming but struggle to get through a film on Netflix.
I have a bunch of work colleagues and it seems they have downtime every month for maintenance or technical issues with Virgin.

As for OP: As said above it depends where you're moving to. Most cities will have Virgin, and some will have CityFibre (I'm eyeing this up as we're moving to a CityFibre enabled area in the next 6 months) which is fibre to the home but only through select providers (including Zen, Giganet and Vodafone). If you're in a smaller town or village you'll likely be looking at FTTC at best which is around 50-70 Mbps, for most FTTC the providers are pretty much all the same, except Talk talk, who are incompetent, useless asshats (just my personal experience).

There are some independent providers who offer unique solutions to places with really shitty broadband. We had Air Broadband for a while before the cabinet became fibre enabled, this worked by each home having a package having a small dish which communicates with a house that acts as a central access point that has a fast connection, and provided us with 30mbps. Downside of that was when the connection went down the engineer needs access to the home so if it's a second home (as was in our case) it could be several hours before service was installed.

Personally I've never had an issue with Sky or BT.

Your best bet is to bang the postcode into a site like uSwitch, and see what is available. They'll also show you any deals that are currently being offered.

Last edited:

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Much appreciated, folks! thanks this has helped... looks like virgin media makes the most sense given my circumstances