United Academy graduates playing in the PL 23/24

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Players who came through the United academy seeing minutes in the PL this season. Many more in the championship and below. Has any other English team got a record as good?

Chong - Luton
Harrison - Forest
Henderson - Palace
Johnstone - Palace
McNeil - Everton
Garner - Everton
Keane - Everton
Welbeck - Brighton
Brownhill - Burnley
Garnacho - United
Mainoo - United
Hannibal - United
Heaton - United
McTominay - United
Rashford - United
Evans - United
Pereira - Fulham

Last edited:

cj_sparky

Rothwell - Bournemouth
Keane - Everton
Mengi - Luton
Elanga- Forest
Norwood - Sheffield United

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Mengi - Luton
Rothwell - Bournemouth*
Keane - Everton
Norwood - Sheff Utd*

*technically not graduates as I don't think they ever played for our first team.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
I know we like to be proud of our academy products but that's a relegation squad right there
And there's still probably not one club in the PL who could form a better squad out of their ex-academy players.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Best I could do with dippers. Jack Harrison is a big reach because he left them for us at 7. Same with Gordon who left them at 10.

Kelleher
Arnold - Gomez - Robinson - Williams
Wilson - Jones - Elliott
Sterling - Solanke - Harrison/Gordon​

dcrompton

And there's still probably not one club in the PL who could form a better squad out of their ex-academy players.
Chelsea would arguably have a better squad had they keppt their academy players (can't think of a keeper)

James
Lamptey
Livramento
Aina
Chalobah
Guehi
Tomori
Colwill
Ake
Maatsen
Hall
Gallagher
Mount
Gilmour
Rice
Olise
Hudson-Odoi
Musiala
Solanke
Broja
Nketiah

golden_blunder

Staff
Chelsea would arguably have a better squad had they keppt their academy players (can't think of a keeper)

James
Lamptey
Livramento
Aina
Chalobah
Guehi
Tomori
Colwill
Ake
Maatsen
Hall
Gallagher
Mount
Gilmour
Rice
Olise
Hudson-Odoi
Musiala
Solanke
Broja
Nketiah
Yes that’s impressive but read the thread title. Then you can cut done if these out

The Original

Players who came through the United academy seeing minutes in the PL this season. Many more in the championship and below. Has any other English team got a record as good?

Chong - Luton
Harrison - Forest
Henderson - Palace
Johnstone - Palace
McNeil - Everton
Garner - Everton
Keane - Everton
Welbeck - Brighton
Brownhill - Burnley
Garnacho - United
Mainoo - United
Hannibal - United
Heaton - United
McTominay - United
Rashford - United
Evans - United
Pereira - Fulham

If anything, this list seems to highlight some of what is wrong with United at the moment. When we have so many of them and the only other clubs who have them are relegation types it tells you something.

golden_blunder

Staff
If anything, this list seems to highlight some of what is wrong with United at the moment. When we have so many of them and the only other clubs who have them are relegation types it tells you something.
Where are Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle and spurs former academy players playing?

The Original

Where are Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle and spurs former academy players playing?
The vast majority of ex-Premier League academy players probably end up in the Championship or below that. Haven't looked at any of those teams specifically but I'm sure none of them have more than 3 academy players in their first team.

Edit:

Should make it clear this is not a criticism of our academy. It is a criticism of our first team recruitment.

golden_blunder

Staff
The vast majority of ex-Premier League academy players probably end up in the Championship or below that. Haven't looked at any of those teams specifically but I'm sure none of them have more than 3 academy players in their first team.
That’s my point. You say relegation fodder but it’s still premier league compared to those at lower levels

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
James Garner getting MoM for Everton while McTominay hides from the ball will always annoy me.

top1whoisman

Scout

James
Lamptey
Livramento
Aina
Chalobah
Guehi
Tomori
Colwill
Ake
Maatsen
Hall
Gallagher
Mount
Gilmour
Rice
Olise
Hudson-Odoi
Musiala
Solanke
Broja
Nketiah
If we’re also allowed to add our ex-academy players playing abroad our squad obviously becomes better too. Pogba, Greenwood, Januzaj, Gomes, Kovář, Lawrence, Varela, Gollini, King, Ramazani, Zieler…

So which PL clubs can form a squad out of theirs that isn’t relegation level?

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Edit:

Should make it clear this is not a criticism of our academy. It is a criticism of our first team recruitment.
With everyone fit and on form, it's probably only Rashford who starts from the Academy - obviously several others in the squad and many getting minutes due to injuries but to me that's a positive

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
List shows that we are relatively good at working out which Academy players are worth keeping

Always worry when we let an Academy player go that they go on to big things elsewhere but there are very few over the years

PeteReDevil

iPete
We wouldn't want them playing for our direct rivals, would we?