United Hour Podcast - A Winter Warmer

slyadams

I didn't agree with the assertion that Ole gets a pass because he's had so many injuries. Surely you see a manager's innovation and ability to coach and be tactically astute when missing key players. We struggle against bottom half club when still fielding a team worth 10 times more than the opposition.

Last edited:

DVG7

I didn't agree with the assertion that Ole gets a pass because he's had no many injuries. Surely you see a manager's innovation and ability to coach and be tactically astute when missing key players. We struggle against bottom half club when still fielding a team worth 10 times more than the opposition.
Just to clarify, I don’t think he deserves a pass, the record speaks for itself. It’s more a case of wanting to at least experience what it’s like to have our best possible xi start 10 games in a row under Solskjaer, as there’s been some evidence that our best team can play attractive football and get results.I can’t remember a period in the last few years where we put the same team out for 4/5 games in a row. It may even have been during the OGS honeymoon phase. Our attack compares favourably with Liverpool’s, our defence is looking more solid now, and if we could just put out a consistent midfield of mctominay, Fred, pogba/Bruno then it’s a strong team that picks itself. Footballs a fickle sport, we could put our strongest 11 out 4 games in a row, win them all and then the narrative changes again, and all of a sudden the ole in camp has some old faces.

slyadams

Just to clarify, I don’t think he deserves a pass, the record speaks for itself. It’s more a case of wanting to at least experience what it’s like to have our best possible xi start 10 games in a row under Solskjaer, as there’s been some evidence that our best team can play attractive football and get results.I can’t remember a period in the last few years where we put the same team out for 4/5 games in a row. It may even have been during the OGS honeymoon phase. Our attack compares favourably with Liverpool’s, our defence is looking more solid now, and if we could just put out a consistent midfield of mctominay, Fred, pogba/Bruno then it’s a strong team that picks itself. Footballs a fickle sport, we could put our strongest 11 out 4 games in a row, win them all and then the narrative changes again, and all of a sudden the ole in camp has some old faces.
OK, I understand your point. I suppose the counter would be does that mean if he does get good results with his first choice 11, then next time he gets a couple of injuries we should expect regaulr losses against bottom half opposition? I could understand if he was winning ugly with a bunch of injuries. Or if we at least looked like we had a plan and a style of play that survived some injuries. Or even if we lost the occasional game. But we've lost a third of our games and mostly play apalling football.

My position is probably clouded that I was against Ole coming in at the start, which means that I view his current situation through the lens that, quite frankly, I don't think he's a good manager.

DVG7

OK, I understand your point. I suppose the counter would be does that mean if he does get good results with his first choice 11, then next time he gets a couple of injuries we should expect regaulr losses against bottom half opposition? I could understand if he was winning ugly with a bunch of injuries. Or if we at least looked like we had a plan and a style of play that survived some injuries. Or even if we lost the occasional game. But we've lost a third of our games and mostly play apalling football.

My position is probably clouded that I was against Ole coming in at the start, which means that I view his current situation through the lens that, quite frankly, I don't think he's a good manager.
Any manager would find the same issues with our current squad, the overall quality just isn’t there so when members of that first XI do get injured, the drop off in quality is massive.

if ole was sacked tomorrow I’d be ok with it, would be hard to argue with.

buckooo1978

If we had the choice tomorrow of a proven coach like Poch who improves his players and his team is greater than the sum of its parts

We had very sporadic improvement in one or two players under Ole but the team is certainly less than the sum of its parts. Fred's quotes tell you all you need to know about a lack of squad harmony.

It shouldn't really be a tough decision if Poch is available

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
If we had the choice tomorrow of a proven coach like Poch who improves his players and his team is greater than the sum of its parts

We had very sporadic improvement in one or two players under Ole but the team is certainly less than the sum of its parts. Fred's quotes tell you all you need to know about a lack of squad harmony.

Spot on

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I tend to agree that the winter break is really boring. But what, according to you guys, would be the best way to prevent player burnout? Except for eliminating cups ofcourse.
No replays, no 2 leg semi would help - although I realise that replays are often vital money spinners for smaller clubs

Ole does get some criticism as well as he could have rotated more, especially in some cup games where I felt he went stronger than needed

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

We didn't get to discuss the Fred quotes, but I personally think they have been blown out of all proportion with a lot 'lost in translation' - I don't see any disharmony in the squad at all, in fact completely the opposite

Don't agree either that only 1 or 2 improved under Ole - Fred, McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams are absolutely clear. There are others as.well but more debateable

Still I am a big Poch fan and his availability is the one thing which makes me waiver in my Ole support - despite the 'never won anything' tag

buckooo1978

We didn't get to discuss the Fred quotes, but I personally think they have been blown out of all proportion with a lot 'lost in translation' - I don't see any disharmony in the squad at all, in fact completely the opposite

Don't agree either that only 1 or 2 improved under Ole - Fred, McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams are absolutely clear. There are others as.well but more debateable

Still I am a big Poch fan and his availability is the one thing which makes me waiver in my Ole support - despite the 'never won anything' tag
lost in translation is a throwaway dismissive excuse really though

We've been sold the idea that behind the scenes Ole is reinstating 'the United way'. It's painting a picture that he is laying foundations and we are making progress behind the scenes in spite of the poor quality of football and results.

The Fred quotes totally undermine this, the fact he's even broke ranks to do so undermine Ole. Players having different objectives doesnt point to unity of idea or a plan. Rather it suggests Ole has little control about what's going on.

I think the quotes are focused largely on midfield and the more creative part of our team. Those impressive counter attacking wins aside we've looked really blunt in most games and we were restricted to long range, low percentage, low xg chances against Wolves - Ole of course still considers these as 'chances'

It will be interesting to see how Ole deals with Fred.... we really can't afford to drop him but Ole won't be happy.

on improving players...I'm not sure you can give Ole credit for Greenwood and Williams - what we've seen is their natural ability as they've broken through - there's no base evidence to show they've improved - the other 3 you are right.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
lost in translation is a throwaway dismissive excuse really though

We've been sold the idea that behind the scenes Ole is reinstating 'the United way'. It's painting a picture that he is laying foundations and we are making progress behind the scenes in spite of the poor quality of football and results.

The Fred quotes totally undermine this, the fact he's even broke ranks to do so undermine Ole. Players having different objectives doesnt point to unity of idea or a plan. Rather it suggests Ole has little control about what's going on.

I think the quotes are focused largely on midfield and the more creative part of our team. Those impressive counter attacking wins aside we've looked really blunt in most games and we were restricted to long range, low percentage, low xg chances against Wolves - Ole of course still considers these as 'chances'

It will be interesting to see how Ole deals with Fred.... we really can't afford to drop him but Ole won't be happy.

on improving players...I'm not sure you can give Ole credit for Greenwood and Williams - what we've seen is their natural ability as they've broken through - there's no base evidence to show they've improved - the other 3 you are right.
Nothing will happen to Fred because its just media making up shite as usual, even when things are in English they twist everything so I don't trust them at all to give an honest translation - did you see these comments from someone who actually understands the interview?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/men-fred-identifies-manchester-uniteds-biggest-problem-this-season.453254/post-25278670

Last edited:

VanGaalyTime

Great pod boys!

I agreed with most of the points made even if I'm slightly more pessimistic about the current season, particularly given our remaining fixtures. Throughout the season I've been bouncing around between the extreme Ole out side and the extreme Ole in side, and I think that's most just because I loved him as a player (a calculation I'm sure the owners made in the hiring process). I think I have to stick with an Ole out position now though. As you mentioned on the Pod, we're just not improving enough week to week tactically. We're seemingly making the same mistakes match after match -

- Not getting enough players in the box during a break - leaving Martial or Greenwood competing against 6 or 7 defenders alone
- Isolating AWB in attacking positions so that he inevitably loses the ball when two or three players converge on him (few intelligent runs from the right wing)
- Conceding almost a goal a game from set pieces - against Burnley some basic movement by Chris fecking Wood confused the feck out of Maguire for 0-1. Against Liverpool we had Brandon Williams trying to block a moving tank in Van Dijk for 1-0.
- Not having any attacking threat from our own set pieces. We must be the only team in the league still doing the curl the ball to the front post and hope for a touch routine circa 2003-2004. No wonder Maguire looks so meek this season (although he's missed one or two sitters).
- Continually playing Andreas as if he's going to contribute to the team. The guy can cross, that's his best (only?)attribute. If we played him on the right wing, I'd be fine with it, but at 10 or 8 we might as well be playing a man down.
etc, etc.

It's also now getting to the point in the season where you see just how poor some of the teams are at planning throughout the year. United have been unlucky with injuries but some strange decisions at the boardroom level, and within the coaching team, have left us pretty short this year. While I'm optimistic about a lot still at United - Brandon Williams, AWB & Mason Greenwood have been exceptional in desperate times, Scott Mctominay before his injury was becoming a leader in midfield, and Rashford is becoming a 30-40 goal a season player - there's still too much going wrong.

As you guys alluded to in the pod, we knew we were lacking a striker from August onwards - were we not scouting leagues throughout the globe ready for a January purchase? If so, is Ighalo REALLY the best available? This season is clearly a write-off, particularly in the league, but if I was attending Old Trafford every week I'd feel far more insulted about the board's actions and their lack of commitment. Hopefully Bruno works out, because it seems as if we're pinning our hopes on him immediately for the rest of the season at least.

Looking forward to the next pod! Hopefully to go over how Ighalo scored the winner from the bench at Stamford Bridge!

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Ye a Scottish gremlin no less :wenger:
They are the most notorious :D

Excellent episode again guys. Agree on the point about Ole rarely having the chance to field a full 11 with all the key players fit. Think Bruno will end up being a great signing and I'm confident heading into Monday's game. I blame the fact the last game I attended we won 4-0 and has given me much (maybe misplaced) optimism :lol:

I also agree the Winter break is boring. And regarding the cups, why not just structure how it is up here in Scotland? The League Cup competition is done and dusted by December, meaning in the new year there is only the Scottish Cup and League domestically. I think having the League Cup final by the end of November / start of December would solve a lot of problems.

Vault Dweller

Guys in the next pod, maybe ask everyone the question I have just posed in a thread:

Who was your United hero growing up / when you started following the team? What made you pick that player?

Interested to hear fellow fans views.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Guys in the next pod, maybe ask everyone the question I have just posed in a thread:

Who was your United hero growing up / when you started following the team? What made you pick that player?

Interested to hear fellow fans views.
Will try to remember for the next one