United v Celtic

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
From your Middle-east correspondent in Doha.

Manchester United took on Glasgow Celtic at the Cliff this afternoon, with each teams Academy battling it out for junior honours.

There is also a scheduled reserve team fixture pencilled in for the return match in Glasgow. This is not an unusual practice as United have played junior friendlies many times before European Cup ties, notably Bayer Leverkusen, Olympiakos, Sporting Lisbon, Dynamo Kiev and Celtic.

United had all the usual suspects starting the game but elevated four youngsters from the u-16's to take their places on the bench. Ravel Morrison, who has recently played in England Schoolboys 6-0 drubbing of Northern Ireland, Sam Johnstone, who has just been called into the England Boys team to face Scotland. The two other faces were local lads Jesse Lingard and Larnell Cole.

In a relatively uneventful first half, both teams looked good on the ball without really creating many chances. Celtic looked a neat outfit so it was a good test for our lads.

Half-time 0-0

In the second half, Paul McGuinness brought on Ajose for Chris Curran, but instead of putting pressure on the visitor's defence, we conceded at the other end! Celtic took the lead on 53 minutes when a free kick from just outside the area managed to squirm past Conor Devlin at the near post. United did their best to force the game and Paul McGuinness then brough on Morrison and Lingard for their u-18 debut's. The Reds got a well deserved equaliser when Matty James, who has been outstanding all season, scored from the edge of the box. Two minutes later Cole replaced Josh King, and although we had a few chances top sneak at the end, a draw was probably a fair result.

Final Score: Manchester United 1 Glasgow Celtic 1

Team

1. Devlin.
2. Stewart
3. Gill
4. Strickland
5. Wootton
6. James
7. Curran
8. Norwood
9. King
10. Petrucci
11. Brady

12. Ajose (7) '51
13. Woods
14. Morrison (10) '62
15. Lingard (11) '70
16. Cole (9) '78
17. Johnstone

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
A pleasure as always, mate. How were Petrucci, Brady and King?

PS18

Good to see Morrison involved.

What time was kick-off? Didn't realise this was happening today, only live five minutes walk from the Cliff.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Good to see Morrison involved.

What time was kick-off? Didn't realise this was happening today, only live five minutes walk from the Cliff.
3.30pm

It was hastily arranged and I had clients to visit abroad so I got the details from one of my mates...thus I didn't see it either.

PS18

Will certainly do my best.

Just checking on the Sky EPG, they'll also be shown on Monday at 5pm and 8.30pm and Tuesday at 10.15am so I should definitely be able to catch one of those.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Thanks. Really appreciate the information. You do not happen to have the DoB on any of these youngsters? Is not Lingard very young (and extremely small?)?

PS18

Just watching the highlights now. Not really enough shown to add much in terms of a match report to what was in the opening post. The u16 lads all looked very at home - Morrison showed great technique on a volley from the edge of the box that was well saved and even tried to score from halfway late on, no lack of confidence there. Lingard was involved in our goal, James using him for a quick one-two before finishing excellently from the edge of the box with his left foot. He's showing no signs of a growth spurt but he looks to have great awareness, very clever with his movement. Larnell Cole went close with an effort late on, looked extremely composed on the ball, quite an elegant passer, always offering himself as an option.

Otherwise, the defence looked solid bar an early chance they gave up, the goal (as said) came from a freekick out on the left flank which everyone was expecting to see crossed in and Devlin was caught unawares by the Celtic lad shooting. Petrucci looked to be involved in everything going forward, Cameron Stewart was constantly bursting forward from right-back to good effect, Josh King seemed to lead the line well on his own too.