United withdraw from Milk Cup

Joemo

whistling in the wind
The competition's organisers says that they have been left "shocked and disappointed" by the club's move.

A United statement said that they had taken the decision after assessing the club's "pre-season training needs".

"We had invested considerable time and money on the technical aspect of our visual presentation for the draw itself so that needs to be revamped. We are also in the process of finalising another team to replace United."

"This will come as a huge blow to the legends of United supporters in the province who back the club over the week of our event. We had written confirmation from them that they would be competing and the fact they have gone back on their word is extremely disappointing."

United's statement
"After a thorough assessment of the pre-season training needs of the first team and a detailed assessment of the medical impact of that plan on the reserves, Manchester United has decided not to enter a team in the Dale Farm Milk Cup."
What's going on here? @khoazany @jb8521

Sid234

Looks like many of reserves are going on tour.. atleast that's the only plausible explanation I can get out of that statement.

I thiught the U-18's went to the Milk Cup?

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Anyone understand what does that statement really mean?
I read it as they've looked at the training plan of the first team and they will need plenty of reserve players to fill in/train with? So maybe there's a load of youth players/reserves coming on tour?

khoazany

I read it as they've looked at the training plan of the first team and they will need plenty of reserve players to fill in/train with? So maybe there's a load of youth players/reserves coming on tour?
Perhaps they are going to seperate 2 teams - U21s and U19s on pre-season again for UEFA Youth League preparation.That will leave not many left for the Milk Cup squad especially if there's a decent number of U21s going to first team tour.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
Manchester United have withdrawn from this year's Milk Cup youth football event and the club's defender Paddy McNair has also pulled out of Tuesday's scheduled competition draw.

The competition's organisers says that they have been left "shocked and disappointed" by the club's move.

A United statement said that they had taken the decision after assessing the club's "pre-season training needs".

McNair's absence has led to the postponement of Tuesday's draw.

"We know Paddy was keenly anticipating his role with us on Tuesday but permission for his participation was cancelled," said Milk Cup tournament chairman Victor Leonard.

"We had invested considerable time and money on the technical aspect of our visual presentation for the draw itself so that needs to be revamped.

"We are also in the process of finalising another team to replace United.

"Thankfully, we are always over-subscribed in all sections of the event but it is a matter of ensuring a replacement and putting the necessary wheels in motion to compete at short notice with the event just two months away."

The Old Trafford outfit have been supporters of the international youth tournament for 25 years with former boss Sir Alex Ferguson an active advocate of the Northern Ireland event.

In a brief statement United said: "After a thorough assessment of the pre-season training needs of the first team and a detailed assessment of the medical impact of that plan on the reserves, Manchester United has decided not to enter a team in the Dale Farm Milk Cup."

The competition's six-time Premier champions have a massive following in Northern Ireland and tournament chairman Leonard said the club's decision had come as a "shock".

"This will come as a huge blow to the legends of United supporters in the province who back the club over the week of our event," added Leonard.

"We had written confirmation from them that they would be competing and the fact they have gone back on their word is extremely disappointing."

The competition will take place in North West venues from 26-31 July.
"McNair's absence has led to the postponement of Tuesday's draw."

Wait, so Paddy's injury let to man utd withdrawing :confused:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Paddy is on the bench today, so why can't just go, which is basically home to do the draw. That seems a bit petty by us.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Ah that is disappointing. Its a huge money spinner up on the North coast and United are always the biggest draw. I will be extra disappointed if this was down to the manager. Uniteds kids in the Milk Cup has been a tradition for decades.

khoazany

No that's simply mean we pulled him out so they can't carry on with the programme plan.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Well this is disappointing. There better be a lot of youth players on the senior tour.

I think it is poor showing from us pulling out so late and why are we stopping McNair from doing the draw?

jeff_goldblum

I imagine this is part of LVG wanting to have his own schedule for pre-season training. It implies that he wants the reserves to be around the senior squad, which sounds promising. A shame for the competition and all the Reds over there though.

|Neo|x

It does seem a bit disrespectful to pull out of the tournament so late, especially considering we've been competing in the competition as long as I can remember.

bleedred

I am actually very disappointed, I have been living here for the past three years and get to see the likes of young talent coming through.

We have a huge pull in here and last year even the under-13's game United played in had a pretty good crowd.

bleedred

Dont see why/how this is a big deal, we clearly have other plans.
Because it has been a tradition for 25 years. Manchester United is one of the premier teams to appear in this competition and that is a major pull for many youth teams from all over the world.

Also, If we have other plans, it shouldnt take this late to cancel.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Because it has been a tradition for 25 years. Manchester United is one of the premier teams to appear in this competition and that is a major pull for many youth teams from all over the world.

Also, If we have other plans, it shouldnt take this late to cancel.
I think being committed to a tournament for 25 years is amazing and it surely excuses an absent year, as for it being a tradition, well winning used to be a tradition, we had a manager for 20+ years who was like god etc, all that has changed now,the club is trying to get back to competing with the top dogs - after 2 trophy less seasons, it is only natural that we expect such changes to occur, perhaps this is the first step to revatilasing our youth setup, seeing as Pogba is the last player from our academy to blossom into something close to a World Class player...atleast well above average, since the class of 92 (it only took about 2 decades,wonder when the next one might turn up), even legends of the club(including members of that very class) have opted out of sending their kids to our academy, instead sending them to rival academies, which leads me to believe there is a problem.

If withdrawing our youth players from the competition is part of a plan to improve the club, then I'm in support, if its also the wish of the manager then I'm also in support, the revenue generated by United for the organisers of the tournament should definitely not be our priority.

The last minute cancellation is definitely rude and uncalled for, but this is United we're talking about, a club that is all about its image, i dont think any decisions were made without considering the consequences and i believe its in the club's best interest.

khoazany

I think being committed to a tournament for 25 years is amazing and it surely excuses an absent year, as for it being a tradition, well winning used to be a tradition, we had a manager for 20+ years who was like god etc, all that has changed now,the club is trying to get back to competing with the top dogs - after 2 trophy less seasons, it is only natural that we expect such changes to occur, perhaps this is the first step to revatilasing our youth setup, seeing as Pogba is the last player from our academy to blossom into something close to a World Class player...atleast well above average, since the class of 92 (it only took about 2 decades,wonder when the next one might turn up), even legends of the club(including members of that very class) have opted out of sending their kids to our academy, instead sending them to rival academies, which leads me to believe there is a problem.

If withdrawing our youth players from the competition is part of a plan to improve the club, then I'm in support, if its also the wish of the manager then I'm also in support, the revenue generated by United for the organisers of the tournament should definitely not be our priority.

The last minute cancellation is definitely rude and uncalled for, but this is United we're talking about, a club that is all about its image, i dont think any decisions were made without considering the consequences and i believe its in the club's best interest.
They did not opt out sending their kids to our academy.Their kids prefer City's way of training (no evidence that we even go for them).People need to stop making these funny assumption that our academy is shit because Phil Neville's kid is at Man City.

Agree with the rest.The level of competition at this tournament has been regressed over the last few years.We won it too comfortably.

Last edited:

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
LVG isn't a fan of the tours. Expect big delegation of u18/21 players on tour whilst senior squad players perhaps stay at home or play games in the UK/Europe.

Last edited:

bdecuc

Shame for the Milk Cup but as has been said above its likely the level of competition was seen as being not quite right. I don't think you can criticise the club if that's the reason.