Utd Draft - SF: Sjor vs Michaelf7

With players at their career (not Utd) peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Sjor

Michaelf7

Sjor Tactics

Teddy gets back in the team alongside new additions in Bobby Charlton and Paul Scholes!
The only time i really saw Stam struggle was against a false 9, he didnt have a striker to fight and he wasnt sure what to do so decided to drop Owen who had a really tough time against Stam for Teddy who will drop quite a bit and act as a glue for the whole team. Teddy is also perfect as his footballing IQ is through the roof, had brilliant technique and combined fantastically well with other teammates and thats exactly what i need in a team where all midfielders love to play pass and go and where a lot of goal threat will come from the actual midfield.
Sir Bobby as the crown jewel of the team in probably best possible role for him, Scholesy will be his younger version - lots of graft, running, goals and ability for the ball...lose a bit in control of the game but dont need it here and Keano on the right to help out with Best when he goes inside. Matic holding behind those three, great defensive wise and strong physically so a good match for Edwards when he goes on his runs.
Law has a bit of a free role in the team, can drop deep, can make runs behind, will roam both inside and out....another one that can combine fantastically well with others + there is that proven partnership with Bobby :drool:

Michaelf7 Tactics

My team will play a 4-3-3 formation with George Best having the freedom to either cut inside or stay out wide on the left hand side with Matthews playing as a more traditional winger on the right hand side. Looking at Sjor's squad, an advantage that I should have regardless of the team that they select is in wide area's particularly on my offensive left hand side with George Best going up against presumably Gary Neville (although there is an outside chance that Antonio Valencia is used instead). I will now provide information on some of the less known players in my team.

Gary Bailey - For eight consecutive seasons at Manchester United (78/79-85/86) Bailey made at least 30 appearances for Manchester United keeping 161 clean sheets in 375 appearances. He also won 2 England caps which given the English GK's available in this era including Shilton and Clemence is impressive as is his being included consistently as an overage player in the England under 21's side (Source). He picked up a major injury which largely ended his career in Europe at the 1986 World Cup when he was only 27 (which is young for a GK). Even when United conceded a lot of goals he still played well such as in a 6-0 loss to Ipswich where he was at fault for none of the goals and saved 3 penalties (Source) or a 5-3 loss to West Brom where he was man of the match (Source). In 2012 Peter Schmeichel included Bailey in a list of his 5 favourite GK's of all time to watch (when changed to best he swapped him out for one of Peter Shilton, Sepp Maier, Neville Southall, Dino Zoff and Manuel Neuer) (Source).

Noel Cantwell - Noel Cantwell was an Irish LB who after signing for Manchester United in 1960 spent 7 years at the club winning 2 league titles and an FA Cup. When playing at West Ham prior to signing for Manchester United he was one of the three mentors that Bobby Moore had (Source). When referring to Cantwell Bobby Charlton stated that "...sometimes the quality of his playing ability was overlooked, but he was a defender of considerable class, strong on the left side and with a very nice touch" (Source). In a 2005 obituary, journalist Brian Glanville described Cantwell as follows:

Essentially a left-back, though versatile enough in the years after he had moved, in season 1960-61, to represent Ireland at centre-forward, Cantwell was a strong header of the ball, an excellent positional player and, those were the days before the four-man defence and the overlapping full back, always eager to move upfield and have a crack at goal. He scored 16 League goals for West Ham, and another 19 for Manchester United.
Source

Johnny Giles - Johnny Giles was an Irish midfielder who was a key part of the great Leeds team of the late 1960's and early 1970's and was chosen by the Republic of Ireland as it's golden player of the previous 50 years at the UEFA jubilee awards in 2004 (over the likes of Roy Keane, Paul McGrath, Denis Irwin and Liam Brady). Giles was included in the PFA 1st division team of the year in 1973/74 (the first season in which the PFA chose such teams). Giles formed a great partnership with Billy Bremner at Leeds with Giles being more of a creator and Bremner more of a ball winner but both were capable of doing the other task. Chris Kamara described Giles as follows:

“Not only was [John Giles] strong but he could see a pass that was in another world – the vision – and he would land it on a sixpence for the players in front of him.

“And Billy was his little combative midfield player alongside him but Johnny had that vision and passing ability that was something else. He could see in the dark.

“He was my all-time favourite domestic player but I would have to say Pele was my favourite player.
Source

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Mike seems to have a big gap between midfield and his front three. Someone more offensive would have been better suited to his midfield than Edwards.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Mike seems to have a big gap between midfield and his front three. Someone more offensive would have been better suited to his midfield than Edwards.
Disagree. Both Best and Matthews start / can start super deep and are not your typical 4-3-3 front three.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Like Mike's and Sjor's teams both a lot but that horrendously small graphic of Mike isnt doing him any favours

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Giles is alright as the most attacking player in a three. He lacked physicality in midfield and Edwards gives him exactly that.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Giles is alright as the most attacking player in a three. He lacked physicality in midfield and Edwards gives him exactly that.
DId he get forward that much? From memory it wasn't that much but of course he was in a 442.