VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Anustart89

Lucky break for sure. But then again, refs have always been shit at calling these. Emi Martinez bitchslapped Elanga in the face last season and nothing happened.

The one time it's been called everyone was so surprised that we kept calling it a horrible call.

Danger5

I do not understand that decision. I know keepers get extra protection, but those 'fouls' against them come from fumbles and even then they get lucky.

This though, this was a goalkeeper completely cleaning out an opposition player who was making no reciprocal challenge on him. It's as clear a foul as you will ever, ever see.

The Hilton

That challenge happens multiple times every weekend in the PL, and I don't think I've seen a penalty given for it. So it would have been typical for us to be on the end of the opposite decision, somewhat relieved that consistency won out.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That has only ever been given once is history and that was ederson against arsenal last season. Itl never be given again
Which is why I wasn't surprised that this wasn't given. Usually isn't against goalkeepers. Dawson had already headed the ball so it didn't impact Wolves. We have definitely seen keepers straight up punch attackers and nothing given. Onana at least didn't do that but rather gave a forceful hug.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Keepers clattering attackers after the ball has gone has been given as a penalty once (Nketiah vs City last year) and pretty much never otherwise.

It doesn't make any sense at all, but those are very rarely pens.

acnumber9

The only thing playing in his favour is that the challenge happened after the Wolves player had already headed it.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
  • a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone on the team lists or a match official
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only thing playing in his favour is that the challenge happened after the Wolves player had already headed it.
And a keeper clattering a player who isn't even involved with the ball never gets given.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Keepers clattering attackers after the ball has gone has been given as a penalty once (Nketiah vs City last year) and pretty much never otherwise.

It doesn't make any sense at all, but those are very rarely pens.
This.

Thank feck we have a keeper who isnt afraid to go take the man+ball.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
  • a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone on the team lists or a match official
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object
I didn't see him do any of those things. Thanks for explaining why it's not a penalty.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
We didn't get a decision our way after the media's shitfit over Bruno/Rashford against City last season.

We won't get a decision all season now because of this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It probably should though. I’d be wanting a penalty for it and I was surprised they didn’t give it.
Just seems a fairly standard sort of collision that isn't ever given.
I'm sure we've fumed about similar in recent years we didn't get.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
you should try and see it then. I am sure there are clips online already.
He just jumps up to try to catch it, he's not jumping at or challenging anyone. Some guy just happened to get in the way, can't blame Onana for that...

DavidDeSchmikes

We didn't get a decision our way after the media's shitfit over Bruno/Rashford against City last season.

We won't get a decision all season now because of this.
a whole week to rant now, before the inevitable soft decision against Tottenham on Sunday

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He just jumps up to try to catch it, he's not jumping at or challenging anyone. Some guy just happened to get in the way, can't blame Onana for that...
It's a wwe chop. it is a challenge that is both reckless and careless

Thom Merrilin

If any other player does what Onana did it'd be a pen no question and possibly a red card for violent conduct. Keepers are so protected its unreal.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If any other player does what Onana did it'd be a pen no question and possibly a red card for violent conduct. Keepers are so protected its unreal.
Loads of time De Gea got flattened and we conceded as no foul would be given. Thankfully its the other way now. :keano:

Get In Scholesy

Never a penalty, both players have a right to go for that ball. The ball made contact with with the attacker first as well and went backwards. Now if Onana smashes into him before the player touches the ball, preventing him from getting a touch.. then yes absolutely penalty.

90 + 5min

People need to stop mentioning Onana incident. Penalty without question. It doesn’t get more penalty talking about it.

That should not take away that we should have been given penalty in first half for handball when ball was going towards goal. This need to be in the light. But knowing how football in England works everybody will be saying we were lucky. Just because we are Man Utd.

Thom Merrilin

Well yeah, but an outfield players job doesn't involve using their hands to try and catch crosses and keep goals out.
Okay good point. However, just translate the incident into what an outfielders job does involve. It'd be like a defender charging towards a contested loose ball, sliding in, not getting the ball and catching the man. That's a textbook foul and, depending on the aggression of the slide tackle, a yellow or red card.

RuudTom83

The new laws concerning time wasting and players staying down faking injuries…really worked well tonight.

Thought the games flowed a lot more and generally the players got back on their feet pretty quickly.

Also general respect towards the refs was good.

Parma Dewol

VAR simply being merciful. Would have been cruel to give Wolves yet another chance to miss.