g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Let this sink in - this is the referee that Liverpool complained non stop about and essentially got him off reffing them for years. Yeah, he's clearly anti-scouse.

Yet Anthony Taylor is seemingly given most of our big games and screws us every time.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Missed opportunity by Poch to call Tierney a twat at the end there. Biggest mistake of the evening and we sure had plenty to choose from.

90 + 5min

Yes, that should really have been a penalty on Nkunku. Can't really see why it wouldn't be.
3 penalties for Chelsea missed by referee. I have no idea how he managed to do that. I really don't. 3 refs and a VAR room full of people. Not only that, we all saw where those important decisions went.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Ref was largely fine tonight. We're shite, that's the main problem.

Lexicon Red Devil

Are we surprised that the post match reports totally ignore the 2 stonewall penalties Chelsea should have had at crucial points in the game? No wonder they get so many decisions going for them when the media is so biased.

It's barely even a proper sport anymore, any element of fairness in terms of the refereeing on the pitch and the financial aspect off it is completely gone. Never thought I'd see the day when I genuinely look forward to the cricket, rugby and tennis more than the football. Yes, there are incorrect decisions occasionally in those sports, but they at least try their best to get the calls right and not hide behind this 'clear and obvious' waffle.

arthurka

Thought first half on Gallagher was a stonewall as well. This was just idiotic, let's get the jolly grinning German a proper good send-off.

Oranges038

Liverpool will not have one penalty given against them for the rest of the season. Chelsea could have had 2 on another day, which if they were at the other end tonight, would almost definitely have been given.

ManUnitedCanuck

It's a dive though.
I agree it is a flop..and there was this whole thing that the refs would determine if the action of the offensive player was created from the defender or if they are embellishing too much.

Wouldnt this be the same for Jota. Sure his foot gets stepped on but it doesn’t prevent him from moving, he just decides to go down after feeling the contact? I recall something being said about refs seeing if action is warranted, but never seems to be the case, or they just pick and choose.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
So now all of a sudden refs know how much contact is enough to put a player running at speed down to the ground. I'll wait until the new gameweek when the excuse will be ''Well there was contact!''

Shinjch

It's as much a media problem now as it is a problem with the officials. The ineptitude of the officials is impacting on the results of far too many games, but the selective nature of how it is called in the media is every bit as infuriating. The collective media outrage when United got away with one against Wolves on the first day of the season helped set the tone and narrative for how officials treat the club going forward. I am yet to see the same sort of reaction for other such mistakes by officials when other teams are involved. Could well be my biases, but I can't help but think that if last night's game was United against Chelsea and Martinez got away with the ones that Van Dijk did then we would have a day of Talksport, Sky and press journalists talking about nothing but the ref deciding the game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol: :houllier:

Telegraph is run from Liverpool FC offices. There was a time in the summer I liked at their Twitter feed and it was like 20 out of the last 30 tweets all Liverpool stories and every single one was positive for them.

arthurka

:lol:

Not enough contact so now they know what makes a player fall down.
Putting the knee out into a running player and kicking your heel seems to be not enough by a bloke at a desk miles away.

The ref was shocking he should have given it and it would have stood all day long.
I hate this about VAR the most, take the responsibility away from the ref and put it on a black hole that can´t be touched.
Bullshit.

Jev

Have we gotten better angles since yesterday? From what I saw on the TV it would have been a very soft penalty. Or is it yet another case of because it was against Liverpool we’ve decided it was a penalty even though we’d be saying the opposite if it was against us?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I agree it is a flop..and there was this whole thing that the refs would determine if the action of the offensive player was created from the defender or if they are embellishing too much.

Wouldnt this be the same for Jota. Sure his foot gets stepped on but it doesn’t prevent him from moving, he just decides to go down after feeling the contact? I recall something being said about refs seeing if action is warranted, but never seems to be the case, or they just pick and choose.
Yep, the incident with Jota was very similar as our two penalty shouts. His legs also turned into spaghetti the very second he felt there was a slight contact.

If all three incidents were brushed off I wouldn't even be too critical of last night's reffing, but it's like when it was in favor of Liverpool he didn't hesitate even for a second to call it a penalty but our incidents didn't even warrant a proper VAR check (I know they probably did a quick check but the decision to not review it further took them about 5 seconds despite VAR checks usually being notoriously long).

I could definitely understand not getting the penalties from Gallagher & Nkunku incidents but cmon, at least make the rules same for everyone.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There is a two tier refereeing system and it’s corrupt as feck.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’m sorry but Paul tierney didn’t give Chelsea one last night for a worse foul and he gives that!!

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
I'm very confused as to what determines a penalty nowadays. More so than before VAR was introduced.

Fecking hell it's Tierney on VAR too. You can't make this shit up.

twitter thread suggester
I get why VAR didn’t overturn it. There was minimal contact. Never should have been given in the first place.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
PTierneyxXx69 with his 40£ HyperX gamer headset says it's a penalty :wenger:

Zed is not dead

Pathetic pen

The inconsistence is what kills you. Chelsea got two penalties denied for far bigger fouls

El Zoido

For the love of god Ten Hag, come out and lay in to these corrupt feckers. It’s ridiculous.