VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Garnacho's Shoelaces

The joy has been sucked out of the game thanks to refs and the media. They'd rather people were outraged every week to keep them engaged in the endless debate about VAR. The actual quality of the football on offer across the league is actually pretty poor, so they need to generate interest somehow.

Bournemouth yesterday were diving all over the place and were genuinely painful to watch, yet we're supposed to feel like they were hard done by. United were poor, but Bournemouth deserved nothing for their lack of sportsmanship. The moment their left back grabbed Dalot's shirt and threw himself to the floor was hilariously bad and the ref still fell for it. There are no gentlemen left in the game these days, which makes it hard to actually root for anyone.
Just seen Lineker on MoTD saying the decision to overturn Bournemouth's late penalty was not "clear and obvious" for an intervention despite it being an objective decision for things such as ball position, offside, handball by goalscorer, etc. Therefore, clear and obvious error test does not apply.

The average football fan has no hope of understanding the rules when constant misinformation is pumped out by media outlets.

Golden Nugget

Aaaaand this is why it is easy to not give united pens
This is what I’ve been trying to say for a few seasons now, but it’s especially worse this season. I don’t believe in the conspiracy theories and think all refs have it in against us (some I think hate us, like Oliver).

Every decision that goes our way get scrutinized and criticized by the media. If they’re controversial, but against United, no one cares. It’ll take strong characters for the refs to ignore the noise, which I don’t think any of them are.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Genuinely hilarious seeing the meltdown from the ABU's over this. "tHe rEfS fAvOuR uNiTeD".

Despite the fact 3 penalites were given against United in the previous 2 matches one of which was well over the allotted injury time and drew Chelsea back level before they went on to win the game. :houllier:

(Could you imgaine the faux outrage in the media and Social Media if it had been the other way around)

RedRocket9908

Dermott believes there was a foul in the build-up to Bruno's first goal but it was too far back for VAR

On the penalty

On Bournemouths overturned penalty

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Genuinely hilarious seeing the meltdown from the ABU's over this. "tHe rEfS fAvOuR uNiTeD".

Despite the fact 3 penalites were given against United in the previous 2 matches one of which was well over the allotted injury time and drew Chelsea back level before they went on to win the game. :houllier:

(Could you imgaine the faux outrage in the media and Social Media if it had been the other way around)
Nah it was given in the 4/5th minute of 8 minutes of injury time

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The handball shouldn't have been a pen, and VAR was correct to turn the Bournmouth foul into a free kick.

Withnail

Dermott believes there was a foul in the build-up to Bruno's first goal but it was too far back for VAR

On the penalty

What is this... analyse all of the decisions to make it seem like United didn't deserve any of them?

Do they carry on like this about any other team?

RedDevil@84

What is this... analyse all of the decisions to make it seem like United didn't deserve any of them?

Do they carry on like this about any other team?
Why wouldn't they? It is not like ETH is gonna say something in next press conference or the club would ask Sky to pipe it down.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The handball shouldn't have been a pen, and VAR was correct to turn the Bournmouth foul into a free kick.
To be fair to the ref, you can see why he blew up for handball. It wasn’t one of those ones where a speculative cross hits an arm, the ball was heading straight to Rashford who was about to be clean through on goal. And when handball is that influential referees will naturally have a lower threshold for penalising them.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
To be fair to the ref, you can see why he blew up for handball. It wasn’t one of those ones where a speculative cross hits an arm, the ball was heading straight to Rashford who was about to be clean through on goal. And when handball is that influential referees will naturally have a lower threshold for penalising them.
Oh yeah, I thought it was handball at first glance (thought he made a bigger movement then he did). It's nowhere near the worst decision in the world or anything.

Mmm-Qatarian

On the penalty

Fecking Hell, there's bias and then there's that.

The fact that there's even any discussion about Bournemouth's "potential penalty" is laughable. It was a foul outside of the box; in which universe has that ever been a penalty??

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you ignore Gallagher’s wibbling they’re all reasonable observations. We don’t have to play the victim every weekend.
I think the point is why do we get this level of scrutiny?

Mmm-Qatarian

If you ignore Gallagher’s wibbling they’re all reasonable observations. We don’t have to play the victim every weekend.
Sorry but the last one is not even slightly reasonable. Making out that Bournemouth might feel hard done by because they didn't get a penalty for a foul outside the box is ridiculous.

Literally the only reason anyone is talking about that non-incident is because it's United.

90 + 5min

On the penalty

Putting out some narrative for future games. Why am I not surprised.

Nothing about dropped points because of 3 penalties against Chelsea and Liverpool that were all nonsens and diving from their players. Nothing about this season bad decisions against us that we have been served game after game.

Doracle

Is that including the presenter trying to argue that it’s a penalty because Kambwala “clothes-lined” the attacker after the initial trip?

To me, the handball is a penalty. It’s not high enough to be “shoulder” and he obviously moves his arm towards the ball. Unfortunate, as it’s an instinctive movement, but a definite penalty.

I’m still not entirely convinced the Kambwala one is even a foul. If he doesn’t trip him, which I can’t see that he does, then the reality is that the attacker just runs into him. What’s he supposed to do - make himself disappear?

Dr. T

The sky Ref Watch really is all kinds of pathetic. I didn't see any ref watch after the Chelsea game and two powder puff penalties? Kambwala fouled Solanke in the buildup to our first goal, that's a talking point?

I don't really get all the hullabaloo about our penalty either, the player had some time to react after the deflection and he instinctively moved his arm towards the ball, with Rashford behind him.

The sky narrative is just ridiculous at this stage, didn't they call it the softest penalty of the season. As for Redknapp, how stupid is this guy - "I think it's harsh, but it is a penalty". So why the feck is it harsh?! :D:houllier:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Because we are Manchester United. Which, for the last 10 years, has meant all of the downsides of being the biggest club in the country with none of the upsides!
Right. But it’s not just a little bit unfair with a consequence that our rival fans can banter us with it. Let’s forget the argument of whether it has had an effect on the decisions referees make and talk about the principle - you can see how it can have an effect on the referee’s decision making process. Any decision, however innocuous in United’s favour can and will earn them a special mention on Sky Sports. If you want to keep your head down and have an easy life as a referee it’s really fecking clear what bias you need to have when refereeing United matches.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Right. But it’s not just a little bit unfair with a consequence that our rival fans can banter us with it. Let’s forget the argument of whether it has had an effect on the decisions referees make and talk about the principle - you can see how it can have an effect on the referee’s decision making process. Any decision, however innocuous in United’s favour can and will earn them a special mention on Sky Sports. If you want to keep your head down and have an easy life as a referee it’s really fecking clear what bias you need to have when refereeing United matches.
Decisions for and against United will get scrutinised more than decisions for and against small clubs. That’s why small clubs get fecked over the most. Try being a Wolves fan this season.

But let’s not forget that the likes of Liverpool have also had some terrible decisions go against them. For all the moaning of us United fans this season we haven’t seen a goal ruled out for offside which VAR proved was actually onside. Or a penalty denied that was quite as obvious as Doku kicking McAllister in the chest. And this a club that redcafe conspiracy theorists are convinced has the officials bending over backwards for them because Klopp is such a moan. Go figure.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Decisions for and against United will get scrutinised more than decisions for and against small clubs. That’s why small clubs get fecked over the most. Try being a Wolves fan this season.

But let’s not forget that the likes of Liverpool have also had some terrible decisions go against them. For all the moaning of us United fans this season we haven’t seen a goal ruled out for offside which VAR proved was actually onside. Or a penalty denied that was quite as obvious as Doku kicking McAllister in the chest. And this a club that redcafe conspiracy theorists are convinced has the officials bending over backwards for them because Klopp is such a moan. Go figure.
I’d argue that Højlund being hauled down with zero attempt at playing the ball was more of a penalty than the Mac Alister one where Doku attempted to play the ball and Mac Alister hurled himself into. I’d also argue that Garnacho being in possession of the ball in the box and the defender holding two hands around his waist and pulling him backwards with zero chance of ever getting the ball is also more obvious.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I’d argue that Højlund being hauled down with zero attempt at playing the ball was more of a penalty than the Mac Alister one where Doku attempted to play the ball and Mac Alister hurled himself into. I’d also argue that Garnacho being in possession of the ball in the box and the defender holding two hands around his waist and pulling him backwards with zero chance of ever getting the ball is also more obvious.
Were either of those examples you mention referred to VAR?

And I don’t think any team with Harry Maguire in their lineup can take any moral high ground about handsy defenders in the box.

Withnail

And I don’t think any team with Harry Maguire in their lineup can take any moral high ground about handsy defenders in the box.
Both were reviewed by VAR as far as I recall. They stuck with the on-field decision... Clear and obvious blah blah blah

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Both were dismissed by VAR within seconds.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Both were reviewed by VAR as far as I recall. They stuck with the on-field decision... Clear and obvious blah blah blah
Listen, I cannot fecking stand VAR, so have no interest in defending such a godawful system. I’m just making the point that there’s a huge bias in the way football fans view and interpret these things. With Liverpool being the only club this season who have had VAR make a 100% objective mistake that cost them points (the incorrect offside call) All the rest is just football fans feeling hard done by. Which is something that will never go away.

Withnail

Listen, I cannot fecking stand VAR, so have no interest in defending such a godawful system. I’m just making the point that there’s a huge bias in the way football fans view and interpret these things. With Liverpool being the only club this season who have had VAR make a 100% objective mistake that cost them points (the incorrect offside call) All the rest is just football fans feeling hard done by. Which is something that will never go away.
Fair enough. Anyway my initial point was about the scrutiny which you've addressed via @Pexbo

Regardless of the rationalisation as to why it's happening, big club etc etc it just pisses me off that every slightly contentious decision that goes our way seems to be blown out of proportion, and when it's the other way round there's hardly a mention.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
It doesn't matter at the end, but what on earth was this decision for the pen from Chelsea?

VAR completely stopped working? It was the decision of winning a ball and if the VAR thinks it was a foul on Palmer, he needs to go to the monitor and check it.

This state of VAR in this league is incredible poor.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It doesn't matter at the end, but what on earth was this decision for the pen from Chelsea?

VAR completely stopped working? It was the decision of winning a ball and if the VAR thinks it was a foul on Palmer, he needs to go to the monitor and check it.

Why does the ref need to go to the monitor and check if VAR decides its a foul on Palmer?

Withnail

The defender stood on his foot.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Why does the ref need to go to the monitor and check if VAR decides its a foul on Palmer?
Since when the VAR is allowed to overturn the ref and decides if it was a foul or not, if the ref hasn't seen it? Thats excactly why the monitor is there and the ref has to have the last say?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Since when the VAR is allowed to overturn the ref and decides if it was a foul or not, if the ref hasn't seen it? Thats excactly why the monitor is there and the ref has to have the last say?
Plenty of times. The ref didnt give a foul and VAR did. They don’t always send the ref to the monitor

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Nicely put. It's never going to be seen as a success as it's set up to fail. Because fans are never satisfied and that's the tribal nature of the sport.

My biggest concern is we continue re-writing the rules of the game (as done for handball) to make VAR more likely to be a success. Reducing 'subjective' calls from the laws of the game to make them more black-and-white - but bearing little resemblance to the original purpose of the rule - would not be progress.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Nicely put. It's never going to be seen as a success as it's set up to fail. Because fans are never satisfied and that's the tribal nature of the sport.

My biggest concern is we continue re-writing the rules of the game (as done for handball) to make VAR more likely to be a success. Reducing 'subjective' calls from the laws of the game to make them more black-and-white - but bearing little resemblance to the original purpose of the rule - would not be progress.
Yeah, exactly. Even the way VAR has turned offside into a matter of inches goes against the original spirit of the law, which was really just intended to stop goal hanging. Not penalise strikers who have a fraction of a limb closer to the goal than the nearest defender.