VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Dan_F

He’s putting him off before the header though? He’s let go and moving away when the ball comes in to the point the ball goes between the two.
I think posters are getting blinded by the replay of Hojlund wrestling the keeper up until the header, 99 percent of it doesn’t apply here.
Maybe I’m wrong but it’s incredibly harsh imo
But he’s still in an offside position when the header happens. You can’t just move half a yard and the goalkeeper suddenly isn’t thinking about you.

cyberman

But he’s still in an offside position when the header happens. You can’t just move half a yard and the goalkeeper suddenly isn’t thinking about you.
He’s offside but he’s not in the keeper view of the ball not stopping him getting to it since it goes between the two?

Amir

I can list more wrong than right for us this season. It's about the same as when we didnt have it, only it slows down matches and means celebrations are muted.
United matches are hardly the only ones played in the world of footba..

Also, you can't list more DEFINITELY wrong than right.

Dan_F

He’s offside but he’s not in the keeper view of the ball not stopping him getting to it since it goes between the two?
We aint going to agree on it but that’s okay. That’s why I hate VAR. It’s subjective.

cyberman

We aint going to agree on it but that’s okay. That’s why I hate VAR. It’s subjective.
I think it’s far too close from the header to the goal for most of this to apply and that’s because of Hojlund blocking the keeper in a non offside position.
We’ll agree to disagree I suppose.

marktan

It's tedious, more than anything. Goal line technology is fine, but all these subjective video reviews are just.. tedious.

antk

I think it’s far too close from the header to the goal for most of this to apply and that’s because of Hojlund blocking the keeper in a non offside position.
The keeper has no way of knowing whether Hojlund will try and play the ball, thus directly impacting his decision making.

Amir

The City goal was universally considered a mistake that shouldn't happen. Are some of you arguing that all goals in a similar situation should stand this whole season because there's been a mistake one time?
Just United ones.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The City goal was universally considered a mistake that shouldn't happen. Are some of you arguing that all goals in a similar situation should stand this whole season because there's been a mistake one time?
Did the referees admit that it was a mistake? Or did they stand by their decision?

MDFC Manager

Well VAR should have directly overruled it then. What was the ref asked to look at separately? All that adds to the utter dubiousness

Dan_F

I always try to think how I’d feel if we’d concede that goal, and I reckon we’d all be fuming.

FortunaUtd

The keeper has no way of knowing whether Hojlund will try and play the ball, thus directly impacting his decision making.
That is not the point, I think. As long as Hojlund does not make a move to attempt to play the ball, he is not interfering with play. He was however interfering with the goalkeeper by standing on him and armwrestling him from an offside position right up to the header..

90 + 5min

We had a Man City goal being awarded for almost same thing. Against Fulham.

Funny thing is that todays referee is the same referee that was on VAR that game.

And people say we have same rules as other teams.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I mean, VAR obviously got that one right. I don't see how there's any debate really.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well VAR should have directly overruled it then. What was the ref asked to look at separately? All that adds to the utter dubiousness
Because it's still a subjective call, so the referee has to look at it. The fact that there was one blatantly obvious answer to that subjective call doesn't change that.

antk

That is not the point, I think. As long as Hojlund does not make a move to attempt to play the ball, he is not interfering with play. He was however interfering with the goalkeeper by standing on him and armwrestling him from an offside position right up to the header..
Pretty sure you can't be ruled offside for any action not happening at the exact time of the pass. Would love for a ref report after each game with the exact wording of critical decisions though.

Faetheshire86

He’s putting him off before the header though? He’s let go and moving away when the ball comes in to the point the ball goes between the two.
I think posters are getting blinded by the replay of Hojlund wrestling the keeper up until the header, 99 percent of it doesn’t apply here.
Maybe I’m wrong but it’s incredibly harsh imo
Yeah I agree. McCoist on commentary said he was blocking the keepers view, but he wasn't when the header was made. The other guy on commentary said it was the contact with the keeper. Which happened before the header.

If it's just for being in such close proximity to the ball then that's about the best explanation, but again, like so many other decisions, I will guarantee we will see one similar that gets given.

Edit: Someone might want to tell Hojlund not to stand there if those are going to get given

cyberman

But the keeper can see it and can get to it, he just can’t. That’s the two rules officials go by.
It looks offside as hell but I’m struggling to see what criteria this falls under. The ball is past the keeper before he can react.
It’s the closeness of it all that gets me. He isn’t superman, he can’t react that fast

Dan_F

No because the doubt is whether he is interfering with the keeper, not whether he’s in an offside position.

I can’t really believe people are mad about this. It’s the most obvious VAR decision we’ve had all year.

Sgreddevil

Nowadays we need to score more goals than usual because we can be quite certain VaR will rule out at least a goal a game.
I can't see what was wrong with the game. Every team did that to their goalkeepers. De Gea was at the receiving end of such goals very often. None of those were ruled out

antk

But the keeper can see it and can get to it, he just can’t. That’s the two rules officials go by.
It looks offside as hell but I’m struggling to see what criteria this falls under. The ball is past the keeper before he can react.
It’s the closeness of it all that gets me. He isn’t superman, he can’t react that fast
If my interpretation is correct the question is really simple: do Hojlund's position and behavior impact the play? Yes - Hojlund's being here definitely influences the keeper. Offside.

The offside offense happens before the ball crosses the line. The goal has never happened, so whether the keeper can save it is irrelevant.

jadaba

It's tedious, more than anything. Goal line technology is fine, but all these subjective video reviews are just.. tedious.
Exactly. All it has demonstrated is that an objectively illegal goal is incredibly rare. Practically all of its calls are still argued over, not just by the fans of the teams watching. I cannot off the top of my head think of any interventions it has made against Henry vs Ireland-esque goals, just 70-30 calls.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I really just don't like var. Some fair overturns, some harsh ones... but just the constant pause and half celebrations... yeah it's killed a lot. Huge shame. Watch a game back before football and you notice such a difference when a goal is scored

cyberman

I’m sorry but this is incredibly harsh. As soon as Evans heads the ball it’s the keeper pushing Hojlund and the striker moving out of the way. Literally everything before the header doesn’t mean a thing before this decision
https://dubz.co/mc/449f18

FortunaUtd

Pretty sure you can't be ruled offside for any action not happening at the exact time of the pass. Would love for a ref report after each game with the exact wording of critical decisions though.
That is a good point. Before the header, he was not in an offside position. That's actually true and my explanation does not fly..

90 + 5min

Wierd that this is same referee as it was for ManCity (sitting in VAR room).

Same referee, same kind of situation. Two different outcome. impressive.

Gordon S

I`ve been pro var all the time, but i am honestly on the fence. I can`t celebrate goals anymore, i am still waiting for the var room to find something in the build up to Brunos goal. You always have to wait.

antk

Wierd that this is same referee as it was for ManCity (sitting in VAR room).

Same referee, same kind of situation. Two different outcome. impressive.
All refs (humans) have made and will make mistakes. Two wrongs don't make a right?

cyberman

I’ll go one further, I think they’ve paused it just as the ball hits Evans head and not when he heads it down and across because he’s looking forward in the paused pic. His head should be titled to the left surely if he’s heading it that way.

Fitchett

Nowadays we need to score more goals than usual because we can be quite certain VaR will rule out at least a goal a game.
I can't see what was wrong with the game. Every team did that to their goalkeepers. De Gea was at the receiving end of such goals very often. None of those were ruled out
Yes, and they were invariably allowed, because De Gea was "weak". Hojlund didn't even touch the keeper there. Its the same as always, one rule for United, a different rule for everyone else.

Anustart89

Law 11. If you are in an offside position and you interfere with play (which he did by impeding the keeper), it's an offside offence.
I don't think anyone has any qualms with tonight's goal being ruled out really.

The annoyance is when it always seems like the referees find the rulebook when it's us on the end of it.

This was deemed as Nketiah not interfering with de Gea's line of vision, because this is normally how a goalkeeper stands as an attacker is taking a shot.

Edit: Seen that it's already been posted.