Victor Gyökeres

didz

I personally see no good reason to sign him. We don't need another cf who will cost a fortune. Especially when they are not guaranteed quality and are mere potential
I think what makes him appeal to me is that I followed him last season where he seemed to have everything and he's then gone on to step up another level when faced with a bigger challenge at Sporting. No adaptation necessary, no teething problems at all. That seems like the right kind of character to go along with a great set of attributes. And outside of somebody who's already scoring consistently in the PL, or an Osimhen or someone, I think that makes him as close to a sure thing as you're likely to find in this market.

If it's no ball below the release clause then sure, move on. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sporting sell for a decent bit less and somebody to benefit from it big time. We spent big on Hojlund and maybe can't be splashing huge sums on the same position again, but the fact remains that this squad desperately needs another striker.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think what makes him appeal to me is that I followed him last season where he seemed to have everything and he's then gone on to step up another level when faced with a bigger challenge at Sporting. No adaptation necessary, no teething problems at all. That seems like the right kind of character to go along with a great set of attributes. And outside of somebody who's already scoring consistently in the PL, or an Osimhen or someone, I think that makes him as close to a sure thing as you're likely to find in this market.

If it's no ball below the release clause then sure, move on. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sporting sell for a decent bit less and somebody to benefit from it big time. We spent big on Hojlund and maybe can't be splashing huge sums on the same position again, but the fact remains that this squad desperately needs another striker.
there is no chance Sporting sell him for less than his buy out after a season. That rules him out completely in my view.

Besides we can find strikers in his age range and caliber at far cheaper prices.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We should stay clear this kind transfer, he's not worth the hassle unless he's R9 level only then should be ve paying 100m for any attacker.

MegadrivePerson

One of my mates is a Coventry fan and says he's the best striker they've ever had in his lifetime.

High praise from a man that's seen the likes of Dion Dublin and Noel Whelan play for them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Every semi decent player coming out of Portugal seems to be quoted at 100m. No thanks. Let them miss out on the more realistic 40m that they could have had

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
One of my mates is a Coventry fan and says he's the best striker they've ever had in his lifetime.

High praise from a man that's seen the likes of Dion Dublin and Noel Whelan play for them.
Off the top of my head:

Peter ndlovu
Kevin Gallagher
David Speedie
Mark Hatley
Cyril Regis
Micky Quinn (fat, round, worth a million pound)
Robbie Keane
Terry Gibson

TheRedHearted

Buying a striker for big money after one good season in the Portuguese league is probably the second daftest thing you can do in the realm of football transfers, just behind buying a striker for big money after one good season in the Bundesliga.
Darwin Nunez has entered the chat

aeh1991

If we are willing to offer the asking fee of 103m for Gyokeres, I'd rather sign Osimhen for whom Napoli want 112m. That being said, I don't believe we should currently make a big money transfer at all.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
He is very strong, shields the ball well, is fast, good header.
His main problem is his technique, he lacks a bit in that department, but he usually very direct with the ball anyway and his finishing is actually good, better than Darwin.

He reminds me a bit of Haaland.
The Portuguese league is easy mode for him, but I’m not complete sure he will make it big at the premier league.
But you have to take risks and he is one of the better strikers out there outside the big leagues.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wish we'd go after players who have strong Championship seasons while they're still in the championship.

In recent years you've had this bloke, Toney, Watkins, Bowen, Mitro and probably more who have scored/looked great in the Championship and then transfered that across to the PL.

Only person we've seemingly ever taken that punt on is Dan James, and we even made a profit on him

M16Red

Victor Gyokeres is highly likely to go to Brentford or West ham this year, if Cov don't come up. Good numbers this year, 25 mil.

My left fields are Che Adams or Duk from Aberdeen
May 2023, feel like we've missed the boat on this one and frankly sick of getting them late.

Morgan Whittaker looks really good.