Violence and instability in Haiti as ongoing crisis deepens

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Seems the situation in Haiti is becoming increasingly worse.

Gripped by gang violence, a new cholera outbreak and widespread shortages of food, water and fuel, the crisis in Haiti has worsened in recent months. Many are calling for international intervention, even as the U.S. continues to deport Haitian migrants back to the island nation.

Haiti has been plagued for decades by natural disasters and political turmoil. Last year, President Jovenel Moise was assassinated and another deadly earthquake hit, throwing the country into chaos, and the crisis has only deepened in recent months. Gangs have overrun parts of the country kidnapping citizens and foreigners and putting up blockades to stop the flow of critical supplies like fresh water and food.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/violence-and-instability-in-haiti-as-ongoing-crisis-deepens

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Close to 60% of Haiti’s capital is dominated by gangs whose violence and sexual attacks have caused thousands to flee their homes, the U.N. humanitarian chief in the Caribbean nation said Thursday.
https://apnews.com/article/health-v...aiti-cholera-7afa870ae65e5db22d604ee58dccf472

Dominican president advocates for intervention:
https://www.ft.com/content/1247e1f4-5a20-48c0-a641-4044baecfe2a

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
A lot of those links are behind a paywall it seems.
This news of Haiti frustrates me a bit. I’ve never been and probably never will but all I read is bad news out of there.
After all the aid they got (and maybe they didn’t get more that was promised?) it just seems to be a never ending mess there.

At what point does it get fixed there? Is more money the answer? Or less corruption?
It’s sad really cos the ordinary Haitians don’t deserve this.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Haiti violence: Gangs free 4,000 inmates in mass jailbreak

Armed gangs have stormed the main prison in Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince, releasing many inmates. The vast majority of about 4,000 men held there have now escaped, a local journalist told BBC News. Among those detained were gang members charged in connection with the 2021 killing of President Jovenel Moïse.

Violence in Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, has worsened in recent years. Gangs aiming to oust PM Ariel Henry control 80% of Port-au-Prince.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68462851

RedDevilQuebecois

We have tried about anything there is out there for a long-term and stable solution for Haiti. But nothing ever works no matter what is being tried.

I really don't know what to hope anymore with that country.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
We have tried about anything there is out there for a long-term and stable solution for Haiti. But nothing ever works no matter what is being tried.

I really don't know what to hope anymore with that country.
They started with the left foot when they were shunned from the international community because they were slaves that got an independent country in America. Pioneers. The comparisons with the other half of the country doesn't help their case, though Dominican Republic stayed in Spain for longer, mixed and local rich people stayed after the independence.

Having fecking natural disasters here and there, corruption on the donations and examples like even having UN members having sexual child ring for a decade doesn't help either

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I know it’s rarely that simple, but you’d have to think if they had some powerful people with the right intentions they might have a chance.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I know it’s rarely that simple, but you’d have to think if they had some powerful people with the right intentions they might have a chance.
The problem is that they don't have power people and they don't have anyone that reach the meagre power that has good intentions. Even with good intentions you can get so much. Haiti has nothing

Look the deforestation. They don't even have decent land for agriculture

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Haiti spirals to collapse as gangs tighten grip - BBC News

Haiti is fast descending into anarchy.
Over the weekend, the violence in the capital Port-au-Prince ramped up once again. Heavily armed gangs attacked the National Palace and set part of the Interior Ministry on fire with petrol bombs.
It comes after a sustained attack on the international airport, which remains closed to all flights - including one carrying Prime Minister Ariel Henry.
He tried to fly back to Haiti from the United States last week, but his plane was refused permission to land. He was then turned away from the neighbouring Dominican Republic too.
Mr Henry is now stuck in Puerto Rico, unable to set foot in the nation he ostensibly leads.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I was thinking earlier Bukele might be the best man for Haiti right now, whatever you think about him.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It doesnt help that Haiti is a major route for drug cartels. And drug cartels just need a fractionbal budget to make a force better equiped than haithian authorities.

RedDevilQuebecois

It doesnt help that Haiti is a major route for drug cartels. And drug cartels just need a fractionbal budget to make a force better equiped than haithian authorities.
Whoever will send forces to help the authorities better be ready and equipped to fight the cartels in the same way that Iraqi insurgents had to be defeated in Fallujah. It is sad, but it is the harsh reality of how bad this mess is.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Whoever will send forces to help the authorities better be ready and equipped to fight the cartels in the same way that Iraqi insurgents had to be defeated in Fallujah. It is sad, but it is the harsh reality of how bad this mess is.
Really doubt help will arrive Haiti has little to offer in exchange, unless UN creates a mission of military + aid. And it's not that simple because the cartels members mingle with the population. Whoever sends help must be ready for human losses on their part.