Television Warrior | TV Series | Based on writings of Bruce Lee | iMDB 8.4

Hoof the ball

Made by Justin Lin (Fast and the Furious) and Jonathan Tropper (Banshee)

Set during the Tong Wars in the late 1800s, Ah Sahm, a martial arts prodigy originating from China to San Francisco, ends up becoming a hatchet man for the most powerful tong in Chinatown.

Only two or three episodes, but so far so good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5743796/

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Banshee was ace, think I'll give this a whirl.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2 eps down and it's good. Like the martial arts choreography for
the boss fight in the 1st Ep

G-manc

I only started watching this on Friday.

I’m 2 episodes in so far and it’s pretty enjoyable. Great scenery and violent fight scenes - what’s not to like?

Andersons Dietician

I finished this a while ago and it’s pretty decent. @Sky1981 there is some but it’s not to the standard of a lili Simmons. Fight scenes are decent and there is some seriously brutal deaths and the set up for Something to happen in the second season is decent.

When I had finished watching this and people were pissing me off it did have me telling people to shut up or i’d Take them to “The White mountain”

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I watched one ep and I'm out. The fight scenes seemed sped up. Which was annoying.

freeurmind

weak willed
Yeah we tried this a while back but checked out after episode 1, it just seemed rushed, the story seemed all over the place. Did it get better after that?

evil_geko

First three episodes of Season 3 are out! Such a great and underrated series this. Also IMDB is 8.4 now, edit the title. ;)

cafecillos

Haven't started with season 3 yet, but just wanted to comment on how brilliantly they dealt with the language "switches" in-show. Basically when the Chinese are talking to each other the viewer hears them speaking perfect English (I assume most if not all the actors are native or at the very least extremely proficient English speakers), but when they are in the presence of or interact with characters from other countries the viewer hears them either in Chinese or in accented English. I thought this was quite clever.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
First three episodes of Season 3 are out! Such a great and underrated series this. Also IMDB is 8.4 now, edit the title. ;)
Great series. I've been waiting patiently for season 3 to drop. What's it been....almost 2 years since season 2 ended?

I'd like to wait until all episodes are out to binge it, but i doubt i'll have the discipline!

Glorio

Season 3 is out?! :eek:

Let's get into some scrapping! :drool: Where is it being shown?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Haven't started with season 3 yet, but just wanted to comment on how brilliantly they dealt with the language "switches" in-show. Basically when the Chinese are talking to each other the viewer hears them speaking perfect English (I assume most if not all the actors are native or at the very least extremely proficient English speakers), but when they are in the presence of or interact with characters from other countries the viewer hears them either in Chinese or in accented English. I thought this was quite clever.
Right! I actually forgot about that and thought that Wang Chao was deliberately underselling his English while talking to American ladies.

cafecillos

Definitely a much neater solution than the tired Russian accented English in Chernobyl for example, as much as I enjoyed that show too.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The new Hop Wei guy is so annoying. It's like they've taken an overenthusiastic fan of the series, gave him a suit and put him on set without any other preparation.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Definitely a much neater solution than the tired Russian accented English in Chernobyl for example, as much as I enjoyed that show too.
Feck the accented English --- the Cantonese spoken is horrible. First 5 mins into the series and I am not sure I can handle it -- I am not even a native Cantonese speaker.

Imagine Del Boy trying to speak French and you get the picture.

cafecillos

Feck the accented English --- the Cantonese spoken is horrible. First 5 mins into the series and I am not sure I can handle it -- I am not even a native Cantonese speaker.

Imagine Del Boy trying to speak French and you get the picture.
Didn't know that, as I don't know any Cantonese whatsoever. I'll take your word for it and assume most of the actors are English native speakers?

sglowrider

Didn't know that, as I don't know any Cantonese whatsoever. I'll take your word for it and assume most of the actors are English native speakers?
Most of us are bi- or tri-lingual. There are different languages/dialects within the Chinese language which can be almost different languages altogether.

There is even variance in Cantonese for example -- by region (within the province in China or HK) or even countries. Its quite complicated.

For example, I know infinitely more Spanish or French than I do Shanghainese. I can probably include Greek in that list -- and I am Chinese. I have been in a work environment in Shanghai where they were rattling off in Shanghainese -- and since I was chairing the meeting, I had to specifically tell them to speak English... basically for my sake. ;) Didnt want the bastards to speak behind my back. :nervous: :nervous:

cafecillos

Most of us are bi- or tri-lingual. There are different languages/dialects within the Chinese language which can be almost different languages altogether.

There is even variance in Cantonese for example -- by region (within the province in China or HK) or even countries. Its quite complicated.

For example, I know infinitely more Spanish or French than I do Shanghainese. I can probably include Greek in that list -- and I am Chinese. I have been in a work environment in Shanghai where they were rattling off in Shanghainese -- and since I was chairing the meeting, I had to specifically tell them to speak English... basically for my sake. ;) :nervous: Didnt want the bastards to speak behind my back.
Sounds like an absolute minefield :lol:

sglowrider

Been another enjoyable season, with the S03 finale airing on Friday.

Bit of an underrated series.
Yeap. The first few episodes of Season 1 were poor but it got better as it went along. The scary thing was the level of social and institutional racism then (and some say even now) towards the Chinese.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeap. The first few episodes of Season 1 were poor but it got better as it went along. The scary thing was the level of social and institutional racism then (and some say even now) towards the Chinese.
Yeah, i suppose "back in the day" racism was rife all over, i mean even in today's world it's there, so i can only imagine what it must've been like back then.

Looking forward to the finale later tonight :drool:

sglowrider

Yeah, i suppose "back in the day" racism was rife all over, i mean even in today's world it's there, so i can only imagine what it must've been like back then.

Looking forward to the finale later tonight :drool:
The fact that the tv series concept was stolen from Bruce Lee and given to a white dude in Kung Fu itself sums everything up

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Somehow completely missed this when it came out. Started watching it yesterday and I love it. Time to dust of my old Taekwondo suit and roundhouse random people in the streets.

sglowrider

Somehow completely missed this when it came out. Started watching it yesterday and I love it. Time to dust of my old Taekwondo suit and roundhouse random people in the streets.
The production and storylines get better as you go deeper into the series. Some of the characters are written after some real historical characters. But the racism that existed then and to a degree now is there. -- which is why China is such an easy target for both Republicans and Democrats now. The only thing they can agree on.

Glorio

Just finished S3 - one of my favourite shows. I don't take it too seriously, just go along for the ride. Let's scrap, and dice some onions or bulls or whoever :drool:

Great to see Ah Sahm and Mei Ling unite, even if it's obvious she would only go for that if she needed him, rather than the other way round

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Just finished S3 - one of my favourite shows. I don't take it too seriously, just go along for the ride. Let's scrap, and dice some onions or bulls or whoever :drool:

Great to see Ah Sahm and Mei Ling unite, even if it's obvious she would only go for that if she needed him, rather than the other way round
You want some sticky? :lol: