g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WC All Stars Chain Draft Round 1- Tuppet vs oneNil

Who will win based solely on WC performances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Welcome to the WC all stars chain draft.

Please note that players must be strictly judged on the basis of the performances against the WC they are listed against.

Team Tuppet

vs

Team oneniltothearsenal

crappycraperson

Scout
Team Tuppet Tactics

Tactics: 4-2-3-1
Fast tempo football with quick & direct counter attacking.

Our tactic would be basically utilizing the blistering pace & finishing of two golden boot winners of Eusebio & Lato up front for quick and fast counter attack. We have fantastic outball from deep in Scirea & Gerson and great final ball options in Skoglund & Zico. We would try to stay compact and defend deep while playing direct football with a fast tempo.

Why would we win -

1. Lato vs Marcelo - I've come around on Marcelo and now consider him as the best LB of our generation. But his world cup CV is nothing to be proud of. His performance in defeat against Germany was absolutely shambolic and along with David Luiz he was one of the main cultprit. Lato has left far more astute left backs for dead and his world cup pedigree is almost unmatched. This is probably the biggest mismatch of the game.

2. Rock solid defense - Chilavert in goals along with Schnellinger, Scirea, Ruggeri & Gerets shielded by Mauro Silva. This is a defense that has both world class players and great WC performances. It would be hard for any attack to breach it.

3. Passing & creativity - In Zico, Gerson, Skoglund & Scirea we have so many fantastic passer & creative players that it would be nearly impossible to stop my attack from getting great opportunities to score. Long balls from Scirea & Gerson would come really handy for quick counter attacks.

4. Goals - 2 world cup golden boot winners up front in Lato & Eusebio. Both extremely fast & direct players and with service behind them I don't see how they won't score here.

Player profiles -
Starting from back Chilavert as the best GK of 1998 world cup was a formidable presence who managed three cleansheets in normal time out of four games (and conceded the one goal in a 3-1 win in the other). An accomplished sweeper-keeper, his distribution was excellent and a powerful attacking outlet.

Gaetano Scirea & Oscar Ruggeri would form the cohesive center back partnership in front of Chilavert. Two of the most accomplished defenders of all time, both had very good world cups in 1978 & 1990 respectively. They finished 4th place & 2nd place while also being the leader of a mean defense conceding a total of 7 goals in 11 games.

Karl Heinz Schnellinger is my left back. He is well known for being one of best defensive full back of all time and had great performance in 1962 world cup getting selected in all star team. He would be more conservative allowing Scirea to move forward with ball as well as giving Skoglund freedom of the entire wing. On the right side is Eric Gerets from 1986 world cup, where he lead the Belgian team to their best ever world cup finish of 4th place. He would be more attacking allowing Lato to cut in from the right wing.

Gerson 1970 would be the brain of my team as he was for the greatest international team of all time in Brazil-70. I really hope Gerson gets his dues here, too often he is brushed aside as a lightweight midfielder in the draft who require too much defensive support, but here he is playing in similar formation to what he played in 1970 world cup, winning silver ball behind Pele and MoM in world cup final. He is to me the best midfielder in the draft along with along with the likes of Matthaus, Didi & Falcao. He'll be playing as deep lying midfielder running the play from deep and utilizing the golden left foot of his to pick passed for Eusebio & Lato to run into. And yes he would be performing defensive duties like he did in WC-70 where he played in two man midfield carrying an uber attacking lineup.

Mauro Silva 1994 would be partnering him in a defensive midfielder role. He was absolutely rock solid in 94 world cup and was crucial in their world cup win. He would be mostly tasked with winning the ball and breaking up the play.

Skoglund 1958 was the best left winger of the tournament. Often rated as one of the best Swedish player of all time he really hit the peak in 58 world cup. His 1 goal & 3 assists were crucial leading Sweden to the final. Skoglund was an entertaining flair player, but he combined that dribbling and pace with a love for inch perfect crosses and passes. Gunnar Gren himself considered Nacka to be the greatest Swedish talent of the time. "Us three weren't the greatest Swedes in Italy, that was Nacka Skoglund. The people were mesmerized by his way to play and live. Nobody will ever be greater than Nacka was". He was such a creative entertainer and gifted dribbler that it is said the opponents at times were left behind with their jaws dropped from what they had just seen. Here he would take the provider role on the left wing side to balance more direct and goal scoring Lato on the other side.

Lato is arguably the best right winger in the draft along with Garrincha. His feat of scoring 7 goals with an underdog Polish team is fantastic. He is golden boot winner in 1974 world cup and is given full license to play in his preferred style of cutting in from right side.

Very few players have made the impact that Zico made in 1982 world cup. It is not often a player from a team that does not reach even the semi-final can make a genuine claim for being the best player. It is testament to his genius that after 1982, Zico is considered one of the greatest players not to get his hands on the World Cup. Along with Johann Cruyff. He would the attacking fulcrum for my team, playing between the lines and picking up passes for Eusebio & Lato. Him breaking forward from midfield to score is one of the best goal scoring routes for my team.

Eusebio 1966 is considered one of the greatest performance in the world cup. He would spear head my attack using his pace & physicality to run behind the defense and get on the end of balls from Zico/Skoglund/Gerson. He is another golden boot winner in my team and his & lato's presence up front means that we should not be short of the goals.

crappycraperson

Scout
Team oneniltotheArsenal

433/424

GK - Ballestrero - best keeper of WC30

LB- Marcelo - Best LB of WC14

CB- Krol - Best CB of WC78

CB- Gamarra - Best CB of WC98

RB- Ramos - Best RB of WC10

CM- Falcao - Best CM WC82

CM-Beckenbauer - Best CM and 2nd Best overall WC66

CM/AM- Schiaffino - Best player WC50

RW- Hamrin - Best RW of WC58

LW- Czibor - Best LW Of WC54

CF - Leonidas - Best player WC38

Leonidas leads the line with his 7 goals in 4 matches from 1938. Hamrin had 4 goals and 3 assists in WC58 and Czibor contributes 3 goals from WC54.

Falcao, Beckenbauer and Schiaffino comprise the midfield, all top players of their respective World Cups.

The front four consists of dominant offensive from 38 to 58. Kurt Hamrin was remarkable in the 58 World Cup as Annah’s profile shows. Czibor was a constant threat and consummate team player for Hungary in 1954. Leonidas was considered the best player of the 1938 and the Brasil only lost in the SF to Italy when Leonidas was injured. Schiaffino was the dominant offensive force for Uruguay in 1950 organizing them to a victory. Anto’s profile below highlights his skill set.

The midfield needs no introduction.

Gamarra and Krol anchor the defensive line. Gamarra had an amazing WC98 not even committing a single foul and earning him 2nd place in the South American footballer of the year award. Sergio Ramos was the highest rated in WC2010 based on the official WC statistics. Ballestrero was the first World Cup winning keeper for Uruguay, a stalwart of his era.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Some quick bits on my more unknown players.

First thanks to @Annahnomoss

Kurt ''Il Uccellino" Hamrin

Position: Right Winger

The best right winger in 1958 World Cup with his 4 goals and 3 assists in comparison to Garrinchas 3 assists. With Rahn as a close second with his 6 high impact goals as he led Germany forward all the way until he was outperformed by Hamrin in the semi-final.

The man had to do the impossible task of replacing Julinho at Fiorentina. Nobody expected that he'd end up surpassing the Brazilian in terms of stature and adulation.

From '57 and forward he was constantly among the top scorers in the league - from out wide. He was considered one of the best right wingers in football between 1957-63 and was nominated for the Ballon every year in that time period(except 69) and voted 4th in '58. Also included in the FIFA XI in 1957 and 1967.

Kurt Hamrin, who was known in Italy as ‘l’uccellino’ - the little bird - for his height and the way his buzzing pace, agility had him looking like he soared like a little bird down the wing. He was one of Serie A’s greatest players of the 1950s and 60s. He was also one of the finest footballers Sweden has ever produced.

"His technical ability was always on show, illustrating his agile movement and speed on the wing before dribbling inside to unleash an inch-perfect shot in to the top corner."

1958:

Mexico vs Sweden 3-0 - Gets pulled down in the penalty area which leads to a penalty that Liedholm converts.

Sweden vs Hungary 2-1 - Hamrin scores both goals.

Sweden vs Wales 0-0

Sweden vs Soviet 2-0 - Hamrin scores first goal and has a great game in general.

Sweden vs West Germany 3-1 - Hamrin gets Juskowiak sent off, Hamrin assists the 2-1 goal and finishes the game with his 3-1 goal.

Sweden vs Brazil 4-2 - Kept rather quiet by Nilton Santos.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Thanks to @antohan

SCHIAFFINO – Il Regista del Diavolo (the Devil's Regista)

“God has reserved the distribution of two or three small things which cannot be attained or countered by all the gold in the hands of the powerful ones: genius, beauty, happiness". When Gautier wrote these words in 1856 he could not know Juan Alberto Schiaffino, he could not know that this definition would fit perfectly. In the years of Liedholm the number ten is divided between the shoulders of the Baron and those, more slender and graceful, of "Pepe" Schiaffino.

God had given him a gift, a privilege: that of genius. Gianni Brera, still considered the greatest Italian football expert, thought as much:

Gianni Brera said:

There has never been a regista of greater value. Schiaffino seemed to have flashlights in his feet. He illuminated and invented the game with the simplicity that is typical of the great. He had an innate sense of geometry, he found the right position and pass almost by instinct.

Those who had the good fortune of seeing him play remember him, decades later and without a shadow of the slightest doubt, as the best player they have seen. Most of these refer to the final of the European Cup in 1958 as the game that settled it: Di Stefano, Puskas and Schiaffino were all on show and Milan lost 3-2 against Real Madrid, but it was Schiaffino, now thirty-four, who stole the show. Differently from the previous two, he had also won a World Cup, in memorable circumstances. After that game the Brazilian coach had only one thing to say: "Schiaffino was the unexpected that silenced all our ambition". From that day, Uruguayans had called him “el Dios del Futbol” (the God of Football).

Eduardo Galeano said:

He plays as if he were watching the field from the highest point in the stadium
Cesare Maldini said:

He had a radar for brains
Arrigo Sacchi said:

When I first saw Schiaffino I was 10... I was struck not only by his greatness when in possession of the ball, but also about how he had the property, the capacity, of being everywhere. He seemed to possess the gift of ubiquity
Schiaffino was a universal midfielder, he could do everything and read ahead the development of the game. He didn’t chase the ball, the ball ran towards him. Which brings us to another characteristic: he was silent, inscrutable but possessed an immense confidence in his own abilities, which often made him a bit stubborn and lippy. He was once suspended for five games after signalling at a ref with his hands that he was on the take, in front of the entire stadium.

He was also the only player known to talk back at captain Varela. The competitive tension between those two was the stuff of legend. One synthesised defensive play, the other synthesised attacking play, so it often resulted in orders/directives being barked in either direction. In 1950, during the final against Brazil and with the game still at 0:0, Varela demanded Schiaffino stopped fannying around the frontline testing defenders and made a more disciplined defensive effort by picking up a certain Brazilian player. “When you can pass the ball to me like I pass the ball to you I’ll take orders on my positioning”, he replied. Then against England in 1954, after Schiaffino moaned about poor service from the centrebacks Varela barked back “Take a woman” (basically, have a shag and chill the feck out).

Of course, there was nothing other than immense respect between the two, with Obdulio having overseen the formation and coming of age of the Death Squad. Schiaffino’s older brother, Raúl (NT and Peñarol forward) brought him to the club aged 16, and he tore up the reserves. As Raúl insisted he should be promoted, Varela argued the opposite: “they are very promising, but like a good wine we must let them come of age. Juan is ahead of the others, with the seniors he will be behind... and then they will be gone, and he will be alone. Let him stay with that frontline that’s forming around him and bring them all up when they are ready”. The outcome: he got his first cap aged 18, before even playing for Peñarol’s first team, but when he finally got promoted he no longer was a talented skinny little kid. He was boss, and went on to win five national titles and score 88 goals in 227 games.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
LEONIDAS da Silva

From Placar magazine:
"The Europeans were ecstatic. "Straight hair, dark skin like a grain of roasted coffee, he takes a horizontal position, his legs outstretched like an arrow in the air. In this stricken position he executes a series of scissors with his legs, taking advantage of a center and striking the ball with his back to the bow.When he makes a goal, he thinks he's dreaming, he rubs his eyes, Leonidas and black magic! " The French journalist had just watched the decision of the third place of the World Cup of 1938 and wrote his text to be published in the Paris Match magazine. Like him, all of Europe had discovered Leonidas da Silva.

Leonidas, the inventor of the bicycle. When Brazil returned from France, there was one more label to identify Leonidas da Silva, the French nicknamed the Black Diamond.

He was trained by Hungarian coach Doris Kruchener, who, according to Leonidas, "taught us that it is easier to make the ball run than to run behind the ball." the best phase of his career that would culminate in his excellent campaign at the 1938 World Cup - the first time Brazil sent a decent selection to participate in a World Cup.

They were difficult games on French lawns. In the deut, a hard 4x4 tie against the Poles in the normal time and 6x5 in the extension. The Brazilian goals? Leonidas, of course. It took a break-tie two days later. Despite the pains in the thigh, which bothered him a lot, Leondias returned to make another goal in the win of 2x1.

Brazil was in the semifinal, against Italy, but Leonidas could not as his injury worsened. Without its feared top scorer, the Brazilian Team lost to Italy. In the third place match of the Cup. In that decision, Leonidas returned to the team and helped achieve with two goals, the victory of 4 x 2 over Sweden. The Italians were crowned twice world champion, but France was dazzled by the World Cup opponents, the great Diamond Nego, the 1938 World Cup’s greatest player."

At the 1938 World Cup he scored a bicycle kick goal but it was disallowed by the ref who had never seen it before.

Of him, it was said by Jerry Wienstein, "He was as fast as a greyhound, as agile as a cat, and seemed not to be made of flesh and bones at all, but entirely of rubber. He was tireless in pursuit of the ball, fearless, and constantly on the move. He never conceded defeat. He shot from any angle and any position, and compensated for his small height with exceptionally supple, unbelievable contortions, and impossible acrobatics."

Leonidas was simply amazing. He was our stick of dynamite. Each time he touched the ball there was an electric current of enthusiasm through our crowd.

The shot, strong and unexpected, left everyone in Strasbourg’s little stadium open mouthed.People were stunned. Europe’s sports press, who thought they had already seen everything on the football pitch reacted with fright, confusion and shouts of “bravo, bravo”.

Leonidas 1938 World Cup statistics

5 June 1938

Poland

6–5 a.e.t.

(4–4) (3–1)

18'
93'
104'

120 min.

QF

12 June 1938

Czechoslovakia

1–1 a.e.t.

(1–1) (1–0)

30'

120 min.

Czechoslovakia

2–1 (0–1)

57'

90 min.

16 June 1938

Italy

1–2 (0–0)

Did not play

Injured

19 June 1938

Sweden

4–2 (1–2)

63'
74'

90 min.

idmanager

One team is clearly winning the defense battle while one is winning the midfield battle.

The attacks will decide my vote.

I don't know anything about Leonidas but that Czibor-Hamrin partnership is awesome even though not flashy in the draft world. One of the best moves in the drafting process that getting them back to back.

Marcelo and Ramos at this point don't inspire too much confidence though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can see the scepticism with Marcelo but Ramos was pretty good in 2010, didn't do much wrong.

idmanager

Can see the scepticism with Marcelo but Ramos was pretty good in 2010, didn't do much wrong.
To be fair, you didn't need to be an amazing defender in that system.
Not doing glaring mistakes would take care of the rest.

Might be the bias outside the WC context speaking but Ramos was never a convincing RB in my eyes.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
To be fair, you didn't need to be an amazing defender in that system.
Not doing glaring mistakes would take care of the rest.

Might be the bias outside the WC context speaking but Ramos was never a convincing RB in my eyes.
I've never really been convinced about him either but i thought he was good in that WC, system or no system he didn't disappoint .

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't know anything about Leonidas but that Czibor-Hamrin partnership is awesome even though not flashy in the draft world. One of the best moves in the drafting process that getting them back to back.
He wasn't tall but he'll probably score a trademark overhead kick from those crosses (here's a google's doodle dedicated to his 100th birthday)

harms

Staff
Edging towards Tuppet, although both teams are brilliant. Falcao - Beckenbauer :drool: And Krol - Gamarra is not that far off Scirea - Ruggeri, but those fullbacks are really underwhelming (Ramos isn't bad, but Marcelo?!)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
No issues with Ramos, very tidy and solid in 2010. Don't see much between the central defensive partnerships, but Marcelo is a big concern against Lato. Onenil's midfield is sensational though, albeit again Tuppet is top notch there as well.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I really really like onenil's front 6. . Beckenbauer and Falcao is possibly the best double pivot ever. He is very unlucky to meet Tuppet's team, which is solid and has no obvious flaws.

Onenil's formation is not the best fit for his opponent in my opinion and I would have tried something brave maybe? Leave Marcelo out because everyone will see him as a weakness against Lato anyway. Maybe man-marking in defense with a 3-3-3-1 formation. Krol and Ramos are great fits for LCB/RCB roles respectively and Beckenbauer could have dropped back into defence to help out against Eusebio occasionally. This is not possible now because you don't want to leave the midfield exposed, but with Gilberto Silva as additional midfielder to harass Zico and hold the position when Beckenbauer drops back or surges forward, you could have had midfield domination and a better defensive shape without giving up any offensive prowess.

Onenil needed a worse opponent in the first round, because with a few reinforcements his team would have been great against anyone in the final.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Think Tuppet's front 3 is a bit off. Don't really buy Eusebio and Lato together esp with Zico already there. Lots of overlaps and team will suffer from lack of a proper striker to lead the line. I have made my feelings before on Eusebio. Awesome player but grossly misused in drafts, imo. Right wing or deep dropping right sided striker in a 2 striker combo is how I see him.

Love onenil's team bar Marcelo. Clear weak link esp against multiple right wing specialists in Eusebio and Lato.

Despite personal preferences, I think Tuppet's has the edge here. His wingers will have more joy whilst he admirably counters Onenil's strenghts.

Leaning towards Tuppet. Will wait before voting. Too close.

Tuppet

Best of luck @oneniltothearsenal

Think Tuppet's front 3 is a bit off. Don't really buy Eusebio and Lato together esp with Zico already there. Lots of overlaps and team will suffer from lack of a proper striker to lead the line. I have made my feelings before on Eusebio. Awesome player but grossly misused in drafts, imo. Right wing or deep dropping right sided striker in a 2 striker combo is how I see him.

Love onenil's team bar Marcelo. Clear weak link esp against multiple right wing specialists in Eusebio and Lato.

Despite personal preferences, I think Tuppet's has the edge here. His wingers will have more joy whilst he admirably counters Onenil's strenghts.

Leaning towards Tuppet. Will wait before voting. Too close.
I don't think I'll change your mind on it but to me Eusebio should always be played as a center forward in modern formations, I think the same about young Pele or Puskas who also used to play with other forwards. Its an issue with older formation where attack used to have 5 players and you'll have another striker with the likes of Eusebio, but with the focus on defense and midfield increasing over time, most of those players have retreated backwards as the tactics have evolved. The extreme version of that is the no striker or false 9 formations. But Eusebio like Puskas or R9 is likely going to be the biggest goal threat a team is going to have and thus should be played the furthrest forward in my opinion. Brazilian Ronaldo is actually a very similar player to him and I've never seen anybody having an issue with him playing as lone forward.

Tuppet

Thanks @Annahnomoss for this fantastic profile on Nacka Skgolund -

Lennart ''Nacka" Skoglund
Position:
Left winger(Secondary position: Inside left)
Height: 1.70m
Weight: 68 kg
Achievements:
World Cup Silver: 1958
World Cup Bronze: 1950
Serie A: 1952-53, 1953-54
Swedish Cup: 1950
World Cup 1958 XI: Best left winger of the tournament

Career Statistics
Team--------Matches-------Goals-------
Club------------449----------.100--------
Sweden--------11------------1---------

Peak Statistics - 1950-59
Team--------Matches-------Goals-------Goals per game
Club------------241-----------55-------- 0.23
Sweden--------11------------1----------.0.09
Total-----------252-----------56---------0.22

In the 1958 World Cup he was named in the team of the tournament as the best left winger which came as no surprise as he with his 1 goal and 3 assists was more productive than Garrincha himself who had 3 assists.

Most countries had some player whos talent was overpowered by something outside of the pitch turning them from legends to myths. The likes of Ronaldinho, Duncan Edwards and in Swedens case - Nacka Skoglund.

To this day, when the Swedes celebrate christmas, on christmas eve fans and admirers gather at his statue in Nackas corner - a play of word on when he scored directly on a corner. Even fans from other countries have been known to participate.

Gren himself considered Nacka to be the greatest Swedish talent of the time. "Us three weren't the greatest Swedes in Italy, that was Nacka Skoglund. The people were mesmerized by his way to play and live. Nobody will ever be greater than Nacka was, I still remember when his Inter beat us with 3-2 and he scored two on his own".

He was such a creative entertainer and gifted dribbler that it is said the opponents at times were left behind with their jaws dropped from what they had just seen.

Style of play
He was beyond a world class dribbler, he was an artist, who entertained the entire audience with his tricks and plays. His crossing was pin point accurate and he was the heart of so many of the plays for Inter and Sweden. Many times outshining Hamrin in terms of pure skill and in the 1958 World Cup he was included in the all star XI as the tournaments best left winger. He was extremely explosive and could accelerate past most players and had great pace as well.

Superbly talented, he was described as a "soloist", a player who played to the gallery and had an array of tricks allied to a fierce shot. He did little to help out his team-mates on the field, but he was no mere show pony and helped Inter to two league titles during a playing career that catapulted him to international stardom.

Even the Brazilians were in awe of his dribbling and Ronnie Hellström said "He did stuff that nobody else could. I used to stand in goal while he'd take shots and ball after ball went in. And his passes, he'd set the teammates free on goal over and over through out the match."

He was a complete classic winger who would consistently beat his full back through out the game and set up his team mates as well as known for his great off the ball runs when cutting inside to score or find space behind the defensive line.

Information
The rise of the legend

In 1950 he was the biggest star Sweden who had to play without any other big names. Yet he was one of the reasons that Sweden won the group ahead of Italy after a great performance from him in the 3-2 win against Italy.

For the last two games he got kicked out from the team and Sweden narrowly lost out to Uruguay as a result and finished third. Inter had seen enough of him and instantly signed him up, and there he played as a key part of a succesful Inter side winning the league in 53 and 54.

He was able to leave an indelible mark on the club. Superbly talented, he was described as a "soloist", a player who played to the gallery and had an array of tricks allied to a fierce shot. He did little to help out his team-mates on the field, but he was no mere show pony and helped Inter to two league titles during a playing career that catapulted him to international stardom.

Even the Brazilians were in awe of his dribbling and Ronnie Hellström said "He did stuff that nobody else could. I used to stand in goal while he'd take shots and ball after ball went in. And his passes, he'd set the teammates free on goal over and over through out the match."

In '58 he was 28 and in his peak as the worlds greatest players faced off in the World Cup. named the best left winger of the tournament.

But even before his arrival in Milan, there had been questions about his lifestyle, with the Italian press already well aware of his taste for alcohol. There was hope that becoming a professional in Italy, with its change in culture, would see his attitude improve - but his rise to stardom appeared to exacerbate the problem. He began keeping a bottle of Ballatine's whisky in his locker at the club to ensure he could drink during the day, and was constantly out on the town. Skoglund could sometimes lose control - in January 1952, he got into an argument with a taxi driver who later took him to court, complaining that he had vandalised his cab. In April 1952, he got engaged to a Miss Italy runner-up and they were married that August. She became pregnant with his first son soon afterwards, but even this did nothing to settle him down.

Alfredo Foni took charge of Inter in 1952 and, under his management, Skoglund enjoyed the greatest times of his career. Adopting a highly defensive approach, Inter won the Scudetto in both 1953 and 1954, with the Swede a key part of their attack.

However, Foni had serious concerns that Skoglund's drinking was out of control, and is said to have approached the club president, Carlo Masseroni, with his observations. A meeting was called with the player's father, at which Skoglund Snr, agreeing to address the problem, stood up and slapped his astonished son. Later that evening, Inter's masseuse spotted father and son out together, drunk in Milan's Piazza del Duomo.

Both Foni and Masseroni departed Inter at the end of the 1954-55 season after the defending champions had finished eighth, and the club was to endure a period of great instability. Inter changed managers seven times in Angelo Moratti's first three years as president and failed to produce any sort of challenge in Serie A or the Fairs Cup.

They were tough times for Skoglund, too: his wife was left critically ill in January 1956 after having a stillborn daughter although she recovered, giving birth to a second son the following year.

By 1958, Skoglund was also in serious financial difficulty despite his high earnings, but was thrown a lifeline. Sweden had controversially decided to allow the overseas players back into the fold for the World Cup on home soil; Inter, sensing the potential benefits of Skoglund's increased box-office appeal, had offered him a 10,000 kronor (£700) bonus if they won the tournament.

Skoglund lived up to all expectations as Sweden embarked on their finest-ever World Cup campaign. He excelled in the group stages as they saw off Mexico and Hungary before drawing 0-0 with Wales in a match in which he was denied by two goal-line clearances (and after which he was described in the Daily Express as "the idol of Stockholm and most arrogant, petulant performer ever spoilt by fan worship").

After a 2-0 victory over Soviet Union booked Sweden a place in the semi-finals against West Germany, Skoglund launched an astonishing attack on his coach in a column for the Dagens Nyheter newspaper. Referring to him only as "Raynor", he wrote dismissively of his training methods. "He went so far as to drive us into the woods for our running. Personally, I thought that was really unthinkable. One can easily twist a foot among the roots of the trees." Raynor kept faith with the malcontent and was rewarded: Skoglund slid home the equaliser from a tight angle in a 3-1 victory to take the hosts to the final.

Asked afterwards whether Skoglund's place had ever been under any threat, Raynor told the Daily Mirror: "I have given up trying to tell him what to do and how I want him to do it, but I can't leave him out. I need him in the team. He can hang around on the field and do what he likes so far as I'm concerned, for he has the incredible knack of suddenly getting the goal that counts."

The downfall and his myth status
Skoglund's problems were to grow significantly upon his return to Italy. He discovered that his wife had sued his financial adviser while the World Cup had been under way, and that - much to his surprise - a bar he owned in Via Paolo Sapri was heavily in the red. After joining his wife in criticising the financial adviser, he was also summoned to court for a defamation trial. In dire need of money, he released a record, "Vi kommer tillbaka", which reached No. 7 in Sweden. It was the first of six musical releases.

He spent the following season at Inter but, after making only 15 appearances, was allowed to join Sampdoria for 30 million lire (£17,250) in the summer of 1959. Warmly received by the fans, he was to spend three seasons in Genoa and was a regular in the team, but his personal problems were as bad as ever. Team-mate Francesco Morini discovered that Skoglund would keep a small bottle of whisky by the corner flag. When he took a corner, he would kneel down as though tying his shoelace and have a drink.

In July 1962, he was allowed to join Palermo, but his time there was disastrous from the outset. The club had no faith in his ability to remain sober and so enforced a strict curfew, while the player found himself bored and frustrated in the city. "I'm not enjoying it here in the negro village," he told Aftonbladet later in the year. The exact phrase he used - "negerbyn" - was, though still politically incorrect, often used at that time simply to imply a place that was quiet and remote in the sense of an African village. However, there is little doubt that he was referring to the largely dark-skinned Sicilian natives and that this was a highly unsavoury aspect to his character, for he added: "I might as well swim over to Africa and become friends with the real negroes."

He trained with Juventus in October that year with a view to a move, saying he would be "honoured to end my career with such a club", but failed to convince them. He continued at Palermo but appeared only six times over the course of the season. In July, after leaving the club, he was involved in a serious car accident. Driving to Florence, along with his two sons, his vehicle left the road and went down an escarpment. The family had to be rescued by passing motorists, and the children spent around three weeks in hospital.

In 1964, Skoglund returned to Hammarby, where he was still idolised, and there were signs of revival. Within minutes of his debut in May, he scored perhaps the most famous goal of his career, curling home direct from a corner in a 4-1 win over Karlstad. Hammarby cruised to promotion to the Allsvenskan that year and, in October, Skoglund made his return to the Sweden team, earning his 11th cap in a 3-3 friendly draw against Poland.

However, he was suffering badly with the effects of alcohol abuse. His marriage broke up and his children remained in Italy. There were reports that he was having to ask for handouts to pay for food and, while travelling around to promote his music, he was found drunk at the wheel and lost his driving licence. To help him out, the club's manager, the owner of a carpet shop, eventually offered him a job. For two months, the great Skoglund worked as a carpet salesman. In 1968, he retired after a spell with Karrtorps, a fourth tier side managed by his older brother, Georg.

His retirement was dismal. Living in a tiny apartment, he was unable to accept the help he needed to escape his addiction and took on a job shovelling snow. In 1972, he met a young girl with whom he fell in love and, seeking to give him a future, she secured him work in a bookshop. She battled to save him but, when she discovered he was drinking in secret, he was left alone again. His mother became his most regular companion.

He had attempted suicide in 1974, and the following year he tried again. This time, his attempt succeeded: he opened the gas valves in his apartment and succumbed despite an apparent late dash for the front door. "Success slowly killed him," his mother said.

Around 2,000 people attended his funeral in southern Stockholm. "Now you will go to heaven," the priest said. "There is probably a place for you to play up there too, Nacka."

Footage
Swedish Documentary about Grenoli and Nacka
(Compilation)
(Part 1 of 6)
(Compilation)

Sources

Tuppet

I mentioned this in OP but I hope that Gerson would get his due in the draft. In this particular pool he is final ready IMO and one of the best midfielder along with the likes of Matthaus, Didi, Falcao & Xavi. His defensive contribution is often questioned but he did win the silver ball playing in a 2 man midfield carrying a very attacking lineup, winning the MoM in final and clearly showing the brawn is not always better than brain.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Best of luck @oneniltothearsenal

I don't think I'll change your mind on it but to me Eusebio should always be played as a center forward in modern formations, I think the same about young Pele or Puskas who also used to play with other forwards. Its an issue with older formation where attack used to have 5 players and you'll have another striker with the likes of Eusebio, but with the focus on defense and midfield increasing over time, most of those players have retreated backwards as the tactics have evolved. The extreme version of that is the no striker or false 9 formations. But Eusebio like Puskas or R9 is likely going to be the biggest goal threat a team is going to have and thus should be played the furthrest forward in my opinion. Brazilian Ronaldo is actually a very similar player to him and I've never seen anybody having an issue with him playing as lone forward.
No you'd not.

Eusebio was awesome picking balls from the deep ans beating defenders with his pace and technique. I don't think he has ever played as a forward leading the line...happy to be corrected here. Esp with this setup, I feel you are losing all that made Eusebio unique.

Against Marcelo, I think you have an edge here, but hope you don't persist with Eusebio as a CF which he was not.

Tuppet

No you'd not.

Eusebio was awesome picking balls from the deep ans beating defenders with his pace and technique. I don't think he has ever played as a forward leading the line...happy to be corrected here. Esp with this setup, I feel you are losing all that made Eusebio unique.

Against Marcelo, I think you have an edge here, but hope you don't persist with Eusebio as a CF which he was not.
Being able to run from deep and beat defender with pace and technique is by no means mutually exclusive with playing as a forward. There are plenty of strikers who did that Henry, Ronaldo, Suarez, Aguero and many more. Staying up top waiting for balls to either hold it or head it is not the only way a striker operates. Eusebio has everything in his arsenal to lead the line great finishing, technique, pace & physicality. As for him never playing a line leading forward I've already mentioned its because of tactical differences from that time to now. Its like saying Di Stefano never played as an AM, Kocsis never played as a Center Forward, Nasazzi never played as a CB & from what I've read Leonidas was a second striker. These players might not look like playing these modern roles on formation sheets, but they were doing all the things that would make them perfect for these roles.

For me apart from Pele & Ronaldo I don't see any player who is able to play a fast center forward role in counter attacking formations as good as Euebio let alone better than him.

harms

Staff
The results are surprisingly one-sided so far

harms

Staff
Won't say Pirlo in 2006 was as good as the others mentioned.
Don't think that there's much between him and Gerson for example, or Didi. Only Matthäus is in another tier for me.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think Falcão is in the highest tier.

Really surprised by how one sided the result is, can’t see any way this would be a white-wash. I think onenils defence is fine and the midfield is outrageous.

Tuppet’s team is really balanced though, solid drafting. I have a similar opinion to Edgar on Eusebio though and hold the same view for Puskas who has been mentioned. Pele I think is a slightly different kettle of fish.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The results are surprisingly one-sided so far
Sadly, its about what I expected (I haven't even voted so I don't even know the score)

Falcão I feel gets a bit underrated in drafts.
Gerson was pretty good as a non-key player in 1970 but Falcão and Beckenbauer were on higher levels and are just much more complete players IMO.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Where in the world was G Scirea?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Not much stopping De Kaiser here either

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I really really like onenil's front 6. . Beckenbauer and Falcao is possibly the best double pivot ever. He is very unlucky to meet Tuppet's team, which is solid and has no obvious flaws.

Onenil's formation is not the best fit for his opponent in my opinion and I would have tried something brave maybe? Leave Marcelo out because everyone will see him as a weakness against Lato anyway. Maybe man-marking in defense with a 3-3-3-1 formation. Krol and Ramos are great fits for LCB/RCB roles respectively and Beckenbauer could have dropped back into defence to help out against Eusebio occasionally. This is not possible now because you don't want to leave the midfield exposed, but with Gilberto Silva as additional midfielder to harass Zico and hold the position when Beckenbauer drops back or surges forward, you could have had midfield domination and a better defensive shape without giving up any offensive prowess.

Onenil needed a worse opponent in the first round, because with a few reinforcements his team would have been great against anyone in the final.
Cheers for the comments and I hope you participate in drafts in the future. Its always good to get perspectives from new posters with knowledge.

On the tactics I absolutely agree but I didn't have the extra player for that. A slight miscalculation in drafting and my extra player was a CB Quinconces. My original plan was to have an extra CM/DM to shift to different tactics like that but I really wanted Gamarra, whose 1998 WC I rate as one of the top CB performances I have witnessed. I almost went with Krol as LB which would have been simple but I felt Quinconces would have been rated lower because he was a CB from 1934. Gamble either way I saw it.

And agree about the opponent. The one opponent I did not want to face in the first round was @Tuppet. I thought his team was the strongest after the initial drafting and I felt more comfortable going against literally any other side.

idmanager

Sadly, its about what I expected (I haven't even voted so I don't even know the score)

Gerson was pretty good as a non-key player in 1970 but Falcão and Beckenbauer were on higher levels and are just much more complete players IMO.
I dont think anyone would disagree you are winning the midfield battle here. Falcao and Kaiser is a great combination and has been a clear winner based on the comments I was reading at the start yesterday

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Falcao/Beckenbauer/Schiaffino is an immense midfield and the main reason I switched my vote to you (not that it was going to make any difference). It was basically the Marcelo pick that made me vote against you in the first place. Why did you go for him in a WC draft?