Welbeck out of U21s tournament

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Welbeck out of U21s tournament

DANNY Welbeck has withdrawn from the UEFA Under 21 European Championship because of a knee injury.

The striker played 87 minutes of the Reds' last game of the Premier League season against Hull, but will not join Stuart Pearce's squad for the tournament in Sweden.

Fraizer Campbell is United's only other representative in the England side, who play Finland on June 15 in their first group game.
Shame.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
feck! Fingers crossed it's not tendinitis again :nervous:

Edit: Hopefully it's just precautionary. Rest and gym work seems like a much better idea than a tough summer tournament considering what he went through last summer and his young physique. He didn't seem injured during the training sessions in Rome.

Justin

He injured his knee at the end of last year. Hopefully it's not serious.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Feck. Has he had tendonitis before?

Considering his height, build and the fact he's still growing (:eek:) he will be more prone than most to getting injured. Once he's stopped growing he should be a lot more robust.
Yeah, that's what kept him out all those months last summer/fall. Does it commonly develop into a chronic problem like it did with Hargreaves?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, that's what kept him out all those months last summer/fall. Does it commonly develop into a chronic problem like it did with Hargreaves?
It's by definition a chronic problem. You don't get tendonitis after a single bad challenge, it comes on gradually and takes a while to go away.

On the plus side, there's a wide range of severity and Hargreaves' tendonitis is probably as bad as it gets. Also in Danny's favour is that it can be down to something as subtle as the angle of pull on the tendon in question. In a tall young lad, this can sort itself out once they reach their final height (i.e. when all their bones/muscles/tendons are properly in proportion to each other)

lysglimt

Scout
It's by definition a chronic problem. You don't get tendonitis after a single bad challenge, it comes on gradually and takes a while to go away.

On the plus side, there's a wide range of severity and Hargreaves' tendonitis is probably as bad as it gets. Also in Danny's favour is that it can be down to something as subtle as the angle of pull on the tendon in question. In a tall young lad, this can sort itself out once they reach their final height (i.e. when all their bones/muscles/tendons are properly in proportion to each other)
Besides Wellbeck has been injuryfree for 6-7 months - if he had a serious problem that wouldn't have been the case. Hargreaves was rested every other game or so - Wellbeck has been available most of the time

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Just found this on another United site:

Your season has been disrupted with injuries so far. How’s your fitness?

"I started training recently and I feel OK. I injured my groin in the Carling Cup game against Middlesbrough… after that, I went away with England when I wasn’t fully fit, played the game and tore a groin muscle. It’s annoying because I missed nearly the whole of pre-season with tendonitis. I was dying to get back, then when I did I got the groin injury, so I’ve had to be really patient and now I’m ready to go."
There's no suggestion (unless one of you knows differently) that this has anything to do with tendonitis, so there's little point in speculating.

And so, after telling everyone to stop speculating, I'll completely ignore my own advice and provide an explanation of what tendonitis actually is:

What is tendonitis?

Sometimes the tendons become inflamed for a variety of reasons, and the action of pulling the muscle becomes irritating. If the normal smooth gliding motion of your tendon is impaired, the tendon will become inflamed and movement will become painful. This is called tendonitis, and literally means inflammation of the tendon.

What causes tendonitis?

The most common cause of tendonitis is overuse. Commonly, individuals begin an exercise program, or increase their level of exercise, and begin to experience symptoms of tendonitis. The tendon is unaccustomed to the new level of demand, and this overuse will cause an inflammation and tendonitis.

Another common cause of symptoms of tendonitis is due to age-related changes of the tendon. As people age, the tendons loose their elasticity and ability to glide as smoothly as they used to. With increasing age, individuals are more prone to developing symptoms of tendonitis. The cause of these age-related changes is not entirely understood, but may be due to changes in the blood vessels that supply nutrition to the tendons.

Sometimes, there is an anatomical cause for tendonitis. If the tendon does not have a smooth path to glide along, it will be more likely to become irritated and inflamed. In these unusual situations, surgical treatment may be necessary to realign the tendon.
All indications suggest that Welbeck has a knee injury, so that's likely all that it is. It's not a bad thing, either, because if he has suffered with tendonitis in the past, it means that he'll get to rest over the summer, and should hopefully be ready to start pre-season training.

The down side, of course, is that he would have benefited from taking part in such a prestigious tournament, but it's probably more important for him to continue to establish himself in the United squad, so we will have to hope that he will be fit for the start of next season.