Wes Brown interview

Andersonson

Wes talking about his career. Its a great watch and very honest.

He comes across very likeable Wes, I've always liked him and he is a red through and through. I was a beast for us and very reliable.

How is he viewed in England? I still remember his debut in 1998 and thought we had gold here and in some ways we had. Brilliant youth prospect

El Zoido

Was brilliant in the 2007/08 season and capped it off by assisting Ronaldo in the CL final. Always had a lot of time for Wes, top professional but suffered a lot of injuries which delayed his momentum.

Alex123

Great interview. Very good player and would be one of the best players in the current team. Played over 350 times for united and was in PFA team of the year in 2001.

Borninthe80ts

I remember hearing/reading that Fergie and some others viewed him as being better than Rio when he was at his best. I’m not sure about that overall but there was a time when there levels were super close.

If not for injuries he should have got more England caps for me, even though the level at centre back was very high. Also did well at right back even after the injuries robbed him of some agility slightly.

Underrated by the general fan think.

SambaBoy

Quality player. Fergie said he was the best natural defender we had at the club.

However he was never really first choice CB due to injuries and being able to stay fit consistently. The one season he did was in 07/08 at RB, and he was fantastic.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Excellent defender accomplished at centre back or right back.Unfortunately injuries probably curtailed his career.As his best he was very good.Very quick with the instincts of a top defender.
Was he one of the lads who led the charge on the Arsenal dressing room? I heard he was.

Hughie77

I remember hearing/reading that Fergie and some others viewed him as being better than Rio when he was at his best. I’m not sure about that overall but there was a time when there levels were super close.

If not for injuries he should have got more England caps for me, even though the level at centre back was very high. Also did well at right back even after the injuries robbed him of some agility slightly.

Underrated by the general fan think.
Agree underated. 07/08 was his best season imo.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Love Wes. Him, O'Shea, Fletcher (i.e. the post 92 academy lot) were a class apart in terms of attitude and application.

Skills

Snitch
Never really trusted him at CB tbh. He was brilliant on the right for us in 07/08 though. Perfect cross to Ronaldo too in the final.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brilliant defender, can even remember him playing his European debut for us against Brondby in the Treble season, sure he had a hand in one of the goals too? Anyway, he was excellent at defending and just a bloody shame with all the injuries.

Love Wes. Him, O'Shea, Fletcher (i.e. the post 92 academy lot) were a class apart in terms of attitude and application.
Absolutely. Looking back, those lads would walk into the team now and did brilliantly for us.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Never really trusted him at CB tbh. He was brilliant on the right for us in 07/08 though. Perfect cross to Ronaldo too in the final.
Agree with this! Found his groove at RB. Great left footed ball in the final!

gantherbale

Excellent defender accomplished at centre back or right back.Unfortunately injuries probably curtailed his career.As Tutuapp 9Apps his best he was very good.Very quick with the instincts of a top defender.
Was he one of the lads who led the charge on the Arsenal dressing room? I heard he was.
injuries killed him he was a rising star with a promising future

Amir

Brilliant defender, can even remember him playing his European debut for us against Brondby in the Treble season, sure he had a hand in one of the goals too?
He had a whirlwind week back then... Starting in a 5:1 win against Wimbledon and then the 6:2 win at Brondby. He did have a part in the first goal, with a cross that the keeper dropped and Giggs scored from.

Woodzy

I remember he got a lot of stick when he was our first choice right-back for a while. I’m pretty sure we kept on winning shit anyway which says a lot about us as fans.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I know there's a lot of talk about him being brilliant in 07/08 as a right back. But when he was fit, he was collousus at CB. He was phenomenal against Barca at CB in both semis. Some of his tackles would put the fear of God in forwards. Probably wouldn't have got away with them now.

Had a rough spell in 01/02 and had a lot of injuries. Comes across as very laid back in interviews, loves United, him and O Shea come across very well. Miss players like them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Found a link about how he became bankrupt - terrible property deals and trying to live a lavish lifestyle. Probably could have guessed that.

To us little people it always seems utterly baffling that anyone earning multi millions can go bankrupt. Even if you just bought your big house and put the rest of the money in the bank, even inflation wouldn't reduce it that heavily in a lifetime.
But I suppose the point is we're not in that situation so can't relate.

DevilRed

Shocked that he actually got into so much financial trouble.

As a player, he was always injured. But when he actually played, he was just so talented and exceptional. Born to play as a defender in football.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I remember he got a lot of stick when he was our first choice right-back for a while. I’m pretty sure we kept on winning shit anyway which says a lot about us as fans.
Yup, first half of 07-08 he was seen as the weak link in that defense, since he was playing out of position in an unfamiliar role. In the second half of the season he really found his groove though and was a colossus for us in the run-in, capped off with that assist in the CL final.

Guapa

Great service to UTD and seems like a genuine bloke.Top red.

LInkash

Could have been a top top player of it wasn't for the injuries.

I don't think non United fans really ever think about him.

Pughnichi

A great watch and a seemingly nice guy. He was very engaging and honest about his career and opinions. Highly recommended

criticalanalysis

Was there a thing where we used to say 'you got Browned' or something when he would cut a player in half with his tackles or am I imagining things? :lol:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Found a link about how he became bankrupt - terrible property deals and trying to live a lavish lifestyle. Probably could have guessed that.

To us little people it always seems utterly baffling that anyone earning multi millions can go bankrupt. Even if you just bought your big house and put the rest of the money in the bank, even inflation wouldn't reduce it that heavily in a lifetime.
But I suppose the point is we're not in that situation so can't relate.
His divorce cost him half his cash.It is remarkable that so many players get bad financial advice though. Sure conmen and spivs will try and fleece them, but you'd think the clubs could steer them towards quality financial advisers.

GueRed

I remember the hype when he was a kid.

First time I saw him was when he was on that Sky One documentary in 1995 featuring the Lilleshall FA School of Excellence graduates, Michael Owen was also in his year

Prior to his senior debut Fergie kept mentioning him. Highly rated was our Wesley

Very good defender. Shame about those long term injuries but he still had a great career at United.