WFA Cup 23/24 QF | Brighton v United - 17:15 Sat 9 March

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Next match up and only one trophy left for us to chase. So can we do it? One step at a time of course.

We've got a good track record against Brighton, including a win against them in the WFA Cup last year and we beat them at the LSV last month. However last time we went to the Broadfield Stadium (which is actually in Crawley not Brighton :smirk: ) we drew 2-2 with them.

Match is live on FA Player in the UK and some other countries.

The other QFs this weekend:
Liverpool v Leicester
Everton v Chelsea
Spurs v Manchester City

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Main team news from the press conference is that Jayde Riviere is back in normal training and may be available for selection the weekend.

In other news Skinner ponders on the mysteries of rotation, squad depth and game management.

Demon Barber

Main team news from the press conference is that Jayde Riviere is back in normal training and may be available for selection the weekend.

In other news Skinner ponders on the mysteries of rotation, squad depth and game management.

There's something that annoys me about this Skinner twitter thing - he is basically saying that we have no depth, unlike Chelsea. Now, this may well be true, but to imply that Mannion and Evans are not up to it is poor management.

To look at it a different way, we have invested heavily in midfield. The attack is strong. I think that many of us here were saying we needed defensive cover. Loaning, say, Malard when we let Clinton go on loan ... surely a left sided defender was a priority?

His words annoyed me. I apologise.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Slightly off topic but I saw a stat today saying that Arsenal Womens team have a higher average attendance than 10 of the EPL mens teams. Amazing if true and good news.

Scanny

Slightly off topic but I saw a stat today saying that Arsenal Womens team have a higher average attendance than 10 of the EPL mens teams. Amazing if true and good news.
I bought their 5 guaranteed Emirates Stadium tickets for £50 bundle at the start of the season. Really good value for money and big crowds. You have to hand it to Arsenal for this. Excellent results for the women’s game on the whole. I hope other clubs follow their example.

Demon Barber

I bought their 5 guaranteed Emirates Stadium tickets for £50 bundle at the start of the season. Really good value for money and big crowds. You have to hand it to Arsenal for this. Excellent results for the women’s game on the whole. I hope other clubs follow their example.
I read that they are pushing to play all of their home games at The Emirates next season - and why not.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I read that they are pushing to play all of their home games at The Emirates next season - and why not.
Their Borehamwood stadium has a capacity of 4k. From that to 60k at the Emirates is a huge deal. This season they've played around half their matches there and the crowds are getting bigger - they've had two 60k sellouts in the past month. Their north London derby against Spurs had a bigger crowd last week than the Manchester derby on the same day! 5 years ago such an idea would have been unimaginable.

Arsenal have always been one of the pioneers in the women's game - they've done a great job of building those crowds.

Whether they're ready for a full league season there - including the midweek games against less glamorous clubs is anyone's guess. I guess it partly depends on how much it costs to run the Emirates full/half-full/quarter-fill and how easy it is to operate the stadium as a good 20000 seater say without killing the match atmosphere completely.

Scanny

I don’t even support Arsenal but I’ve really enjoyed attending these games with my Gooner friends.

Demon Barber

Their Borehamwood stadium has a capacity of 4k. From that to 60k at the Emirates is a huge deal. This season they've played around half their matches there and the crowds are getting bigger - they've had two 60k sellouts in the past month. Their north London derby against Spurs had a bigger crowd last week than the Manchester derby on the same day! 5 years ago such an idea would have been unimaginable.

Arsenal have always been one of the pioneers in the women's game - they've done a great job of building those crowds.

Whether they're ready for a full league season there - including the midweek games against less glamorous clubs is anyone's guess. I guess it partly depends on how much it costs to run the Emirates full/half-full/quarter-fill and how easy it is to operate the stadium as a good 20000 seater say without killing the match atmosphere completely.
Good post. I guess it is a calculated gamble but is worth exploring. Possibly six games would get over 50 000? The other five between 20 000 and 30 000. The club would easily make a healthy profit on that, given that they do not need the extra stewarding/police needed for men's games.

I get what you are saying about the atmosphere, but limiting the seats to one end and one side, say, for potentially lower attendances would counter that.

@Scanny - I have been to non-United games too, but not at the Emirates. It's just a good day out.

Eric_the_Red99

1-0 to United. Perfect cross by Zelem and a towering header at the back post from Turner. Bright start by United.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Great interplay between Malard, Toone and Parris who finishes it off to make it 2-0

Eric_the_Red99

Very positive start by United. This feel more like the United of last season, when we could completely smash teams outside the top 4

RedDevilQuebecois

How can you follow that match when out of the British market? I haven't seen streams anywhere and my broadcasters don't cover the WFA Cup.

edit: Oh, never mind. The FA Player works for me in Canada.

RedDevilQuebecois

Bad giveaway by the Brighton defender, but Naalsund should have done a lot better. It should have been 3-0.

RedDevilQuebecois

3-0!

Garcia will claim the last touch after Malard's shot went off the post and danced in front of the goal line.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Malard’s been really good today. Would be great if we could sign her permanently in the summer.

RedDevilQuebecois

Boom! Naalsund fires one through a crowd of Brighton players and makes it 4-0. Malard gets another assist.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Completely one sided game so far. It’s been a while since we’ve played like this.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
It’s also the best that Toone has played in a while. She’s linking up well with Malard.

Demon Barber

That was a refreshingly good performance. I thought we were totally in control in every department.

It does seem crazy that we have to wait until 08.20 on Tuesday for the draw. Does anybody know what the rules are for the semis? Neutral grounds or home advantage for two of the teams - assuming they are not over two legs?

StretfordEnd78

No new thread but I think Chelsea at home is decent. Make for a more palatable final once we progress.