What’s your all time greatest starting XI and why?

DSG

Was thinking about this recently and had a hard time with a few of the slots. Ground rules are that you can’t field 3 attacking midfielders as your 3… you need balance. It would be a team that a manager would actually pick.

I chose 4-2-3-1.

Buffon
Lahm. Beckenbaur. Maldini. Roberto Carlos
Mattheus. Zidane
Messi. Maradona. Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldo

Notables left out: Pele, Cruyff, Dani Alves, Yashin, Platini, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Busquets

I think the hardest spot was striker… If you count Pele as a pure no. 9, then he’s obviously the choice, but almost everyone says he’s more a no.10 than a no.9. He was always paired with another striker. So it comes down to Pele, Cruyff and Maradona as your 10s, maybe Platini as well. I think Maradona at his peak was playing in an era where the tackling was brutal, in the toughest league to score, and well, it’s Maradona.

I think Ronaldo is the greatest striker ever, despite him somehow never measuring up to his hype. 3 straight WC finals. Probably inspired the most fear in his opponents. When all is said and done, maybe Haaland or Mbappe will rate ahead of him.

Zidane I feel was more of an 8 than a 10. You could argue that we’d need another holding MF there instead of box-to-box.

KeanoMagicHat

As good as your team is, even Ten Hag’s XI will beat your IX with two players down.

The-Mezzala

I can’t comment on Pele, Maradona , Best, Cruyff etc as never saw them play. But mine is probably:

Buffon

Cafu
Maldini
Ramos
Roberto Carlos

Pirlo
Busquets
Zidane

CR7
Ronaldo (R9)
Messi

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Was thinking about this recently and had a hard time with a few of the slots. Ground rules are that you can’t field 3 attacking midfielders as your 3… you need balance. It would be a team that a manager would actually pick.

I chose 4-2-3-1.

Buffon
Mattheus. Zidane
Ronaldo

Notables left out: Pele, Cruyff, Dani Alves, Yashin, Platini, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Busquets

I think the hardest spot was striker… If you count Pele as a pure no. 9, then he’s obviously the choice, but almost everyone says he’s more a no.10 than a no.9. He was always paired with another striker. So it comes down to Pele, Cruyff and Maradona as your 10s, maybe Platini as well. I think Maradona at his peak was playing in an era where the tackling was brutal, in the toughest league to score, and well, it’s Maradona.

I think Ronaldo is the greatest striker ever, despite him somehow never measuring up to his hype. 3 straight WC finals. Probably inspired the most fear in his opponents. When all is said and done, maybe Haaland or Mbappe will rate ahead of him.

Zidane I feel was more of an 8 than a 10. You could argue that we’d need another holding MF there instead of box-to-box.
If you can't put 3 attacking midfielders, maybe is better to not put Zidane in there, specially when you at least can put Di Stefano, Cryuff, Platini and even Charlton as more well rounded and in the same same or even better level, all of them with a better goalscoring ability without loosing the extra playmaker or Director from a deeper position. Pele it's not hard to put i t there, he goes easily for CR and you can use Messi as right false winger, Pele centrally and Diego as a left wingman. If he wasn't Diego, that is a waste to not use him centraly, he was the perfect winger with a great goal output, his crossing and last pass ability was ridiculous as a winger, he could make assists by throwing chilenas. Also he can change positiosn with Pele during a game, the same with Messi.

In such team maybe it's even is better to have Romario instead of R9 taht will constantly go deep to collect the ball, this will create overdose of Geniuses in the mid.
Yet I get choosing the Phenom, too tempting, thought it would be hard to make him stay put in a more advance position in his peak form. Romario would do that gladly to just not run a single time.
Also in a less "flair" team, you can even sit R9, put Pele there and add an all time DM to pair with Lothar.

Lahm as great as he was, looks a bit like falling short in comparison to Cafu, Fachetti, Zanetti, Alves, but it's just personal prefference. In the same way on the left flank for a more conservative approach Brehme, could be fantastic and offensivly I think MArcelo got to RC level. This leaving aside old Brazilian legends in both fullbacks roles that can easily be there too.

In any case with all these alltime fantasy teams the main problem is how they will get alone, we've seen it with stack teams that it's not easy when Egos start to go to far. That is more of a problem than the usual people complaining abaout balnce, characteristics and such, the relantionship within players on a pitch it's way more important in this type of all time teams than anything and we don't have a clue of how they will interact.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

Have to have Pele in there I think as striker even if he’s not a pure 9. Would have a lot of the same players but Zidane wouldn’t be close for that CM role considering he played CAM and he’d be against so many other greats. I’d have Baresi CB and move Maldini to LB and maybe Xavi CM. Di Stefano or Cruyff as another CAM or Rijkaard as DM and let Matthaus roam free.

Buffon
Lahm - Baresi - Beckenbauer - Maldini
Matthaus - Xavi - Maradona
Messi - Pelé - C. Ronaldo

Pass and Move

I chose 4-2-3-1.

Buffon
Mattheus. Zidane
Ronaldo

Obviously a star-studded line-up, but I genuinely think Pep's peak Barca would win more often than not. At least the front 6. I don't think it matters who you put against them, they just suited the system so perfectly that only another team as well-drilled systematically would stand a chance to beat them on the regular.

Oranges038

Have to go with the team that won the biggest game ever and achieved one of the biggest sporting feats in the history of the game.

Kelleher
Gomez Quandah VVD Tsimikas
Endo
McConnell Clark
Elliott Danns Diaz

padr81

Supports
Man City
gk-Neuer
rb-Cafu
cb-Baresi
cb-Nesta
lb-Maldini
mc-Mattheus
mc-Busquets
rw-Messi
10-Maradona
lw-C. Ronaldo
st-Pele

Why cause I think it would win every game. Busquets is probably the questionable one but I'd personally have him there for ball retention.

DSG

If you can't put 3 attacking midfielders, maybe is better to not put Zidane in there, specially when you at least can put Di Stefano, Cryuff, Platini and even Charlton as more well rounded and in the same same or even better level, all of them with a better goalscoring ability without loosing the extra playmaker or Director from a deeper position. Pele it's not hard to put i t there, he goes easily for CR and you can use Messi as right false winger, Pele centrally and Diego as a left wingman. If he wasn't Diego, that is a waste to not use him centraly, he was the perfect winger with a great goal output, his crossing and last pass ability was ridiculous as a winger, he could make assists by throwing chilenas. Also he can change positiosn with Pele during a game, the same with Messi.

In such team maybe it's even is better to have Romario instead of R9 taht will constantly go deep to collect the ball, this will create overdose of Geniuses in the mid.
Yet I get choosing the Phenom, too tempting, thought it would be hard to make him stay put in a more advance position in his peak form. Romario would do that gladly to just not run a single time.
Also in a less "flair" team, you can even sit R9, put Pele there and add an all time DM to pair with Lothar.

Lahm as great as he was, looks a bit like falling short in comparison to Cafu, Fachetti, Zanetti, Alves, but it's just personal prefference. In the same way on the left flank for a more conservative approach Brehme, could be fantastic and offensivly I think MArcelo got to RC level. This leaving aside old Brazilian legends in both fullbacks roles that can easily be there too.

In any case with all these alltime fantasy teams the main problem is how they will get alone, we've seen it with stack teams that it's not easy when Egos start to go to far. That is more of a problem than the usual people complaining abaout balnce, characteristics and such, the relantionship within players on a pitch it's way more important in this type of all time teams than anything and we don't have a clue of how they will interact.
Really? My impression of Zidane watching him was that he was much more valuable defensively than DiStefano, Cruyff and Platini… Charlton I think you have a case. Better distributor than the others as well IMHO.

Not dropping CR. Messi is probably the greatest ever, but CR7 has a compelling argument as well. Pele never played in the best leagues, and when you really examine his WC wins, they aren’t as impressive as they would seem on the surface.

The Lahm pick is more I wouldn’t want Alves because he’s in jail, literally, although he’s probably the best ever. Marcelo is definitely a consideration, he’s one of my favorites.

Romario… what a player. I think I’m leaning more power and speed vs guile and technique, but either could be my 9.

DSG

Obviously a star-studded line-up, but I genuinely think Pep's peak Barca would win more often than not. At least the front 6. I don't think it matters who you put against them, they just suited the system so perfectly that only another team as well-drilled systematically would stand a chance to beat them on the regular.
Noted. Obviously not the exercise. I don’t agree, but the Pep Barca teams were maybe the best ever club side.

DSG

gk-Neuer
rb-Cafu
cb-Baresi
cb-Nesta
lb-Maldini
mc-Mattheus
mc-Busquets
rw-Messi
10-Maradona
lw-C. Ronaldo
st-Pele

Why cause I think it would win every game. Busquets is probably the questionable one but I'd personally have him there for ball retention.
Super solid. A lot of these guys were my 2nd choice

KeanoMagicHat

Really? My impression of Zidane watching him was that he was much more valuable defensively than DiStefano, Cruyff and Platini… Charlton I think you have a case. Better distributor than the others as well IMHO.

Not dropping CR. Messi is probably the greatest ever, but CR7 has a compelling argument as well. Pele never played in the best leagues, and when you really examine his WC wins, they aren’t as impressive as they would seem on the surface.

The Lahm pick is more I wouldn’t want Alves because he’s in jail, literally, although he’s probably the best ever. Marcelo is definitely a consideration, he’s one of my favorites.

Romario… what a player. I think I’m leaning more power and speed vs guile and technique, but either could be my 9.
Stick with your guns on Lahm, best right-back I've ever seen, better than Alves imo. Lahm played in 5 major tournaments and was team of the tournament in them all, which sums up his class. Could invert and play an extra midfielder, could play left-back, could play attacking with great crossing or ball contention. Consistently excellent.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Ceni
Cafu, Lugano, Dario Pereyra, Serginho
Cerezo, Josué, Mineiro
Pedro Rocha
Raí, Careca

Jund

Yashin.

LB - Marcelo. RB - Cafu.
CBs - Beckenbauer & Maldini.

DM - Matthaus..
CM - Paul Scholes.
AM - Zidane.

LW, RW, ST - Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Pele. They can figure out for themselves who plays where.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Casillas
Cafu - Baresi - Beckenbauer - Maldini
Matthaus
Ronaldinho - Pele
Best - Messi - Garrincha

These guys are all comfortable on the ball and I can see my 4-1-2-3 easily becoming a 4-0-6 when Cafu bombs forward with gay abandon. It's full of match winners with high football IQ and, should they face an equally elite side, Beckenbauer can go into midfield with Matthaus, leaving a back 3. Obviously difficult to leave Maradona, Cruyff, Van Basten et al out of the first 11, but that's what subs are for.

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool

Zizou wasn't a better distributor than any of those 4, in fact he was also a player more of instances than being the metronome of his team like the others could be and defensivly Zizou more involved than for instance Alfredo? nah, and let's not start with productivity regarding goals and stats in general. There is only one advantage from Zizou above those four: that he actually is more than probably that he would accept a more secondary role than any of those, that his more sparce style will also give the team an element of suprise and that it would suit better his less athletism and stamina to do such thing. So that makes it easier in a team with already a Pele, Maradona, Cryuff, Platini, Alfredo, Bobby and cia.

That is a wild view on Pele, that I do not agree at all. And I'll leave it there

I do not believe in a single BEST EVER in football, everyone on his period gain their place there and still is debateable, we should be fair with all of them and always remember that to any argument, there are two sides, nothing it's absolute regarding football with so much context to add around a single player carreer ina collective sport.

Yet I must admit that I'm not that fond of seeing CR7 as a player of the calibre and talent of others mentioned usually as Goats, my view, leaving his Goat carreer and success aside. Yet if already I would always have doubts on every fantasy all time of how those fellas are willing to interact with each other, I'm almost completely sure that if CR starts to shoot from everywhere on every ocasion he will clash like hell with Lothar, Pele, Cryuff, Diego and Alfredo if any of them are in the same team.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Ceni
Cafu, Lugano, Dario Pereyra, Serginho
Cerezo, Josué, Mineiro
Pedro Rocha
Raí, Careca
Roma
Marzolini Samuel Simon Ibarra
Serna
Veron Riquelme
Maradona
Cannigia Batistuta

PD: I was cheating a bit because some are not that identified with the club like Veron, it could have been even more of a "cheat" if I used Ruggeri. but still pretty cool, I was very disrepectful with Dinousars like Varallo, Angelillo and Rojas, or newer lads like Tevez and Schelotto. But this team would be fun (not for Serna for sure)

PD2: I love Toninho and Careca, so underapreciated and sometimes forgoten. BTW Kaka deserves to be there

davisjw

I was going to be cheeky and put one of Fergie's crazy starting 11s when he had players playing in random positions and still found a way to win. Which then got me thinking about his final XI:

Lindegaard
Valencia-Jones-Evans-Buttner
Cleverly-Carrick-Anderson-Kagawa
Hernandez-van Persie

1. A reminder of what we were left with when he retired, a big reason why we're where we are today
  2. It's incredibly sad that for all the world-class talent Fergie fielded, this is what his final team was

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Roma
Marzolini Samuel Simon Ibarra
Serna
Veron Riquelme
Maradona
Cannigia Batistuta

PD: I was cheating a bit because some are not that identified with the club like Veron, it could have been even more of a "cheat" if I used Ruggeri. but still pretty cool, I was very disrepectful with Dinousars like Varallo, Angelillo and Rojas, or newer lads like Tevez and Schelotto. But this team would be fun (not for Serna for sure)

PD2: I love Toninho and Careca, so underapreciated and sometimes forgoten. BTW Kaka deserves to be there
Kaká is nowhere near this team, he did nothing special around here. He wouldn't make the top 10 AMs of our history.

You can argue that Gerson should be there, but think he wasn't as memorable, although a much better player than anyone in my midfield three.

Dannn411

Schmeichel
Cafu, Rio, Beckenbauer, Lahm
Xavi, Busquets, ZIdane
Iniesta
Messi, Ronaldo De Lima
4-3-1-2

First Sub: Matthaus

Good luck getting the ball off this team.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Schmeichel

Cafu — Beckenbaur — Maldini — R.Carlos

Rijkaard

Matthaus — Cryuff

Maradona — — — L.Ronaldo — — — Messi​

NoPace

I can’t comment on Pele, Maradona , Best, Cruyff etc as never saw them play. But mine is probably:

Buffon

Cafu
Maldini
Ramos
Roberto Carlos

Pirlo
Busquets
Zidane

CR7
Ronaldo (R9)
Messi
Similar idea for me, might be 2-3 years younger than you with the Cafu and Maldini mentions:

Cristiano---Suarez-------Messi
------------Xavi-Modric--------------
----------------Rodri--------------------
Cole-Van Dijk-Ramos-Alves
----------------Neuer-------------------

Feels bizarre to pick Rodri over a player I much prefer in Busquets, but I like the extra physicality against teams bunkering and looking for set pieces.

Had no real idea who to pick as a #9. Need someone who will give Cristiano space but also work with Messi. Feels like Pele would fit in there, Maldini in Van Dijk's spot and a better attacking LB than Cole and a better defender than Alves.

Modric vs Iniesta is too tight to call, but I went with Modric for a little extra flexibility since I've gone a bit away from tiki-taka.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
The ones I've extensively seen (i.e. not counting great players who I've rarely seen due to playing in other leagues)

Assuming all are in their prime and top physical shape

Van Der Sar

Dani Alves Ferdinand Vidic Maldini

Scholes Keane
Zidane

Messi R9 Cristiano Ronaldo

If we're worried about the opposition

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Buffon
Alves Nesta Baresi Maldini
Zidane Busquets Maradonna
Messi Pele Cristiano

brontelicious

Have to go with the team that won the biggest game ever and achieved one of the biggest sporting feats in the history of the game.

Kelleher
Gomez Quandah VVD Tsimikas
Endo
McConnell Clark
Elliott Danns Diaz

Sure, the opposition was younger...

SambaBoy

Schmeichel

D Alves
Ferdinand
Nesta
Marcelo

Keane
Iniesta
Modric

Messi.
R9
Henry

I've only went with players that I watched quite a bit. Tough one between Schmeichel, Neuer and Buffon but probably went with the United bias.

Alves is the best RB I've seen play the game - ahead of Cafu, Lahm, Maicon etc. There is a load of CB's I could have went with but Ferdinand is the best in PL history for me and Nesta the best I've seen elsewhere and I think they would be an unbeatable pairing.

Was either Marcelo or R Carlos at LB but I feel Marcelo is a more complete attacker, could dribble, pass and cross. I feel the CM pairing is quite complete, can't really see anyone getting the better of them 3. Was between Modric and Seedorf for the 3rd role, I enjoyed watching Seedorf more but you can't really argue against Modric.

R9 is the most talented player I've seen and without the injuries I think he would be considered the GOAT, even still he reached an world class level. Henry probably the best striker I've seen in the PL and Messi speaks for himself.

Bondi77

I would have to have seen every player of all time play to be able to participate.
Absolutely pointless otherwise.

AndySmith1990

Schmeichel
Irwin
Vidic
Bruce
GNeville

Giggs
Keane
Scholes
Beckham

Cantona
Ronaldo

I don't give a toss about non United players, I barely watch them

BIG DUNK

Tank
My favourite players from the 80s onwards, who I regard as the best. Buffon in goal. An impenetrable back line, marshalled by Franco Baresi, alongside Alessandro Nesta, the most complete centreback. Lilian Thuram and Paolo Maldini are the toughest defensive fullbacks. A midfield trio who would be formidable to play against: physically dominant, strong defensively, box to box workrate, creative and dangerous on direct vertical attacks, no side-way passing here! A triumvirate of technical skill, dribbling, playmaking, pace and goals in Lionel Messi, Diego Maradona and Ronaldo, O Fenômeno, not Cristiano! They are afforded positional freedom with the disciplined supporting cast behind them. Lining up in Carlo Ancelotti's Christmas tree formation:

G.Buffon

L.Thuram - - - - A.Nesta - - - - - F.Baresi - - - -- P.Maldini

L.Matthäus - - - F.Rijkaard - - - F.Redondo

L.Messi - - - - D.Maradona

Ronaldo

Bench: M.Neuer, J.Kohler, Cafu, Xavi.H, A.Iniesta, R.Gullit, M.van Basten​

Last edited:

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
----------------------------- Neuer ------------------------------
------------- Ramos -- van Dijk -- Maldini ------------
Cafu ------------------------------------------------- Marcelo
------------- Matthäus --- Xabi Alonso ----------------
------ Messi -------- Ronaldo ------- Ronaldo -------

My thoughts

GK
Neuer at his peak was as good a keeper as you can find and had the added + of being a sweeper keeper

CBs
Ramos can play RB and DM, Maldini can play LB and Matthäus can play Libero (playmaking sweeper CB). Alonso while not often a CB from the start of a game used to drop back as a quarter back and effectively became a Libero during the games. Matthäus has the added plus of being very capable of going forward and Ramos can step up as DM in his absence. Van Dijk simply has everything you want from a CB with his height, speed, toughness, leadership, tough to dribble and so on.

WBs
With the 5 above being able to switch positions at will Cafu and Marcelo will be awarded much freedom. Marcelo can help Ronaldo on the left while knowing Maldini got it at the back. Cafu can help Messi on the right knowing Ramos got it at the back. If need be both can slot in to a back 4 or 5.

ATTACK
Messi and Ronaldo complement each other. One is more of a playmaker, the other a winger (depending on his age) and later wing striker that cut in and make sure Ronaldo Lima is not alone. Not that he needs to much help, Ronaldo Lima can do it by himself but he also has the technical qualities to switch with Messi or Cristiano at will. Messi can also move back as CAM to allow a two forward system.

You could replace certain individuals above with better players but all in all I'm happy with the set up where having that many flexible players allows the team to switch formations freely and attack from every inch of the pitch.

Pughnichi

VDS - just edges it for me. Schmeichel was mega, but memory recalls there being a drop off in that last season.

rb - can’t look beyond GaryN
cb - Rio the Rolls
cb - Stam the bully alongside him.
lb - can’t call it between Evra and Irwin

mc - Keane.
mc - Scholes (just) loved the Ince/Keane combo as well though

rf - Kanchelskis needs to be in my team
lf - Ronaldo pushing out to the left

fc - can’t not have Cantona
Sc - Ruud the box behemoth

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Of players I've seen. 343.

Schmeichel
Baresi-Van Dijk-Maldini
Rijkaard-Matthaus-Xavi
Maradona
Messi-Ronaldo-C.Ronaldo

Modric, Iniesta, Laudrup, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Nesta, Thuram, Buffon and Neuer all had good shouts.
If the formation used fullbacks, Roberto Carlos would have been in there.

Last edited:

Alpha 1

Gk: Schmeichel. The mainstay of Uniteds dominance in the 90s. Made countless saves and organised the backing. Also United bias.

RB: cafu. Incredibly balanced in attack and defence. I remember playing against Ac Milan in 2005. He was unbeatable.

LB: Cole. Very difficult to play against, ask Cristiano.

RCB: Stam. Collpsus at the back

LCB: Maldini. Goat of defenders

CM: Keane. Leader. Demanding. Much better on the ball than given credit for.

CM: Xavi. Keep the ball, pass the ball, create, win the ball.

AM: Maradona: Genius at work. Dribbling, creating and scoring.

RFD: Messi: GOAT in every attacking sense. Possibly the most talented to play the game.

LFD: Ronaldinho: Creative genius. Spectacular, a magician with the ball.

ST: R9. The best no 9 ever. Pace, explosiveness, power, dribbling ability, ball skills, finishing. He had it all.

Honourable mentions: Van Basten, Iniesta, Zidane, Cristiano, Henry.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Kaká is nowhere near this team, he did nothing special around here. He wouldn't make the top 10 AMs of our history.

You can argue that Gerson should be there, but think he wasn't as memorable, although a much better player than anyone in my midfield three.
Not in terms of what he did for Sao Paulo, in terms of having such a special player played for your team, that's why I've said I cheated with mine. Many of the ones I've chose aren't specially associated with us nore have the best times of their carreers. Gerson another gem of a player.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
My favourite players from the 80s onwards, who I regard as the best. Buffon in goal. An impenetrable back line, marshalled by Franco Baresi, alongside Alessandro Nesta, the most complete centreback. Lilian Thuram and Paolo Maldini are the toughest defensive fullbacks. A midfield trio who would be formidable to play against: physically dominant, strong defensively, box to box workrate, creative and dangerous on direct vertical attacks, no side-way passing here! A triumvirate of technical skill, dribbling, playmaking, pace and goals in Lionel Messi, Diego Maradona and Ronaldo, O Fenômeno, not Cristiano! They are afforded positional freedom with the disciplined supporting cast behind them. Lining up in Carlo Ancelotti's Christmas tree formation:

G.Buffon

L.Thuram - - - - A.Nesta - - - - - F.Baresi - - - -- P.Maldini

L.Matthäus - - - F.Rijkaard - - - F.Redondo

L.Messi - - - - D.Maradona

Ronaldo

Bench: M.Neuer, J.Kohler, Cafu, Xavi.H, A.Iniesta, R.Gullit, M.van Basten​
This is a great example of "just 3 real offensive players" and 7 "defensive ones" yet a full 11 of magicians.

GueRed

Heavily United bias of course

GK: Schmeichel
RB: Irwin
CB: Ferdinand
CB: Adams
LB: Maldini
CM: Robson
CM: Gascoigne
RM: Beckham
LM: Giggs
CF: Cantona
CF: Ronaldo

SUBS: Lahm, Desailly, Keane, Maradona, Batistuta

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Maldini? I remember him as a great leftback, but not a truly great centre back. Surely if you are going to pick any italian of that time it would be Baresi.