US Men's National Team Discussion

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I know it's a bit subjective, and the last thing I want to do is jinx them, but don't you think this current Canada team has a different feel about them? In the Honduras game, I had no doubt they'd tie it up after going down a goal, whereas in the past it felt like they could play for another week without scoring an equalizer. The US on their home turf is a different prospect, obviously, but I'm looking forward to this game. As long as we don't let them score within twenty seconds again!
Absolutely, there is a different vibe, and we just saw it tonight. Canada were on the back foot for a good bit of the match, but they didn't let that faze them, and we came away with a decent point in the end. With that said, we absolutely need 3 points against El Salvador now. Here's hoping that they don't wilt under the pressure of high expectations against El Salvador.

Tactically, I'd say that both sides took almost the exact same approach except that Canada defended deeper than the U.S. However, both sides had one attacking who'd try to make something out of nothing (Pulisic, Davies), players swarming those #1 attacking options, and a highly aggressive, pressing game. Berhalter screwed up his subs, whilst Herdman made good ones. I wish we'd have been able to finish with Davies and Larin, but both need to be rested for El Salvador.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Berhalter is so devoid of attacking ideas and tactics. It's astonishing how rarely we score more than once, unless it's against small teams. He waited ages to make changes after Canada equalized.

FerociousCorgis

Berhalter is so devoid of attacking ideas and tactics. It's astonishing how rarely we score more than once, unless it's against small teams. He waited ages to make changes after Canada equalized.
I was equally pissed by the US reaction after they finally scored. No control, no poise, no plan. Immediately they let Canada do whatever the hell they wanted to do

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I was equally pissed by the US reaction after they finally scored. No control, no poise, no plan. Immediately they let Canada do whatever the hell they wanted to do
what we are seeing right now is the sins of Klinnsman/Arena coming due. There is an entire missing generation of players, aged 25- 29 that are missing right now. Brooks is the only guy in that age range who would be in a best XI. A combination of a talent draught and those two clowns sticking with their favorites doomed the generation that should be providing stability. Add to that a current coach who is way out of his depth and you get this trainwreck.

Flytan

I won't pretend to follow the US tean closely but I don't see us competing at a remotely consistent level until coaching gets better. When you want to improve as a nation you need coaching to be better than the talent, it's why at least at the start of the Klinsmann era we saw progress. Now we finally have players playing in big leagues consistently but our coaching is abysmal. Also probably doesn't help that most of the players don't ever play with each other.

Dan_F

From someone who doesn’t follow US football, it seems like the main problem is that the top athletes want to play other sports. I’m not sure there is a way around that.

Most of the top US players currently have some form of connection to Europe in their childhood, either born, lived or parents from there, which explains why they chose to play football.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Gedion Zelalem finally got back on a football pitch the other day. Hope has returned for America.

bosskeano

Brilliant game to attend in terms of atmosphere and the crowd....nashville really brought it to the game along with some fantastic food trucks and tailgating.

Shame the play on the pitch didn't match the crowd but it was honestly like watching United playing against Burnley. Canada sat in and tried to defend deep and catch the US on the counter with a few pacy players up top. US couldn't break them down a lot of that was due to just a lack of movement from the front three.

Playing 3 matches in 7 days with international travel really just isn't right for players to be 100% and able to provide quality football.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Brilliant game to attend in terms of atmosphere and the crowd....nashville really brought it to the game along with some fantastic food trucks and tailgating.

Shame the play on the pitch didn't match the crowd but it was honestly like watching United playing against Burnley. Canada sat in and tried to defend deep and catch the US on the counter with a few pacy players up top. US couldn't break them down a lot of that was due to just a lack of movement from the front three.

Playing 3 matches in 7 days with international travel really just isn't right for players to be 100% and able to provide quality football.
It is striking how similar Ole and GB are in their “coaching”. They both use rigid, possession based systems that provided very limited chances, minimal off ball movement, and heavily depend on individual moments of quality. They also both lock up when things go south and seem unable to make changes.

atmosphere came across as being really good on the TV, highlighted by the crash when Canada scored.

Were the boos at the end for the team/GB/both/other?

bosskeano

It is striking how similar Ole and GB are in their “coaching”. They both use rigid, possession based systems that provided very limited chances, minimal off ball movement, and heavily depend on individual moments of quality. They also both lock up when things go south and seem unable to make changes.

atmosphere came across as being really good on the TV, highlighted by the crash when Canada scored.

Were the boos at the end for the team/GB/both/other?
the boos were for canada and the ridiculous amount of time wasting and the fact taht they only had 3 minutes of stoppage time. GB was definitely included in that simply b/c he waited too long to make changes when they were glaringly obvious.

Atmosphere was top notch though minus the european signing except from the AO section on the lower tier of the stands.

Vanrouge

Absolutely, there is a different vibe, and we just saw it tonight. Canada were on the back foot for a good bit of the match, but they didn't let that faze them, and we came away with a decent point in the end. With that said, we absolutely need 3 points against El Salvador now. Here's hoping that they don't wilt under the pressure of high expectations against El Salvador.

Tactically, I'd say that both sides took almost the exact same approach except that Canada defended deeper than the U.S. However, both sides had one attacking who'd try to make something out of nothing (Pulisic, Davies), players swarming those #1 attacking options, and a highly aggressive, pressing game. Berhalter screwed up his subs, whilst Herdman made good ones. I wish we'd have been able to finish with Davies and Larin, but both need to be rested for El Salvador.
I agree with all that (I hope Davies's knock was minor), but what also impressed me was the way Canada were able to switch tactics so effectively, transforming from a defensive shape set up to absorb pressure with occasional breaks from the front men to suddenly playing a fierce pressing game that seemed to catch the US team off balance. And yes, the subs were excellent. Buchanan was especially effective. Wednesday is crucial.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
the boos were for canada and the ridiculous amount of time wasting and the fact taht they only had 3 minutes of stoppage time. GB was definitely included in that simply b/c he waited too long to make changes when they were glaringly obvious.

Atmosphere was top notch though minus the european signing except from the AO section on the lower tier of the stands.
3 minutes or 30 I do t think it mattered. Only Canada looked like scoring. The lack of subs was shocking and he looked terrified on the sideline.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I agree with all that (I hope Davies's knock was minor), but what also impressed me was the way Canada were able to switch tactics so effectively, transforming from a defensive shape set up to absorb pressure with occasional breaks from the front men to suddenly playing a fierce pressing game that seemed to catch the US team off balance. And yes, the subs were excellent. Buchanan was especially effective. Wednesday is crucial.
Yeah, that was excellent match management from Herdman, honestly. Right now, all that's lacking in this Canada side is the execution. If Canada can finish off their chances and iron out their mistakes, they might become a major threat in CONCACAF.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Good opportunity for Canada as CONCACAF seems to be weak. Mexico is transitioning, (but still the team in the confederation), Costa Rica is falling off and the US is being Berhaltered into submission.

I thought Canada was ok last night but I was really impressed by Herdman. He ate GB’s lunch. Davies is transcendent and David/Larin are ok, but I was not really impressed. I don’t want this to come across as being bitter as Canada were the far better team last night.

Vanrouge

My only concern with Canada is whether they've already hit their ceiling. But yes, Herdman seems to have a head for tactics.

I'm not entirely convinced by Larin (that breakaway early in the match was so anticlimactic, as if he had no conviction whatsoever, but his instincts are decent, arriving with perfect timing to anticipate Davies's pass for the goal) and David did very little when he came on. But aside from Fonzie, I was most impressed by Buchanan last night. Another player who has caught my eye a lot of late, Eustáquio, I thought underperformed against the US, but I rate him pretty highly.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Berhalter is insane.
McKennie sent back to Italy. No problem with that, he broke COVID protocols and needs to have a long chat with himself. No, the insane part is that with Weah, Reyna, Dest, and McKennie all out and Pulisic recovering and not at 100% he makes one roster change. He calls up Jackson Yuell. Yes, the same Yuell who was so bad this summer he was stuck to the bench.

jfc, this window is a disaster.

FerociousCorgis

Berhalter prob happy mckennie gave him an excuse and something to distract the media from his shit show. Hilarious that same problems still there. Almost as of he only got this job because of his brother

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Berhalter prob happy mckennie gave him an excuse and something to distract the media from his shit show. Hilarious that same problems still there. Almost as of he only got this job because of his brother
Funny you say that as the exact same thought was going through my head earlier. Basically GB is going to use Weston as his spacegoat (:cool:) to deflect blame from his awful coaching job. Would this fly in any other country? US Soccer is run like a frat house and their relationship with MLS is choking the national team.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Didn't expect the 'Muricans to double draw vs Salvador and Canada. Mexico sports news only talk marvels of USA Golden Generation and MLS. I wonder what will happen to both things in long term.

Mexico won (with lots of luck) vs Jamaica and Costa Rica. Its damaging for your entertainment to see Tata's tactics but very good for combating your insomnia.

bosskeano

Funny you say that as the exact same thought was going through my head earlier. Basically GB is going to use Weston as his spacegoat (:cool:) to deflect blame from his awful coaching job. Would this fly in any other country? US Soccer is run like a frat house and their relationship with MLS is choking the national team.
it wouldn't if our press was more like the english press and they actually weren't fan boys like the cvnts we have in twellman, lalas and company.....all former players that are afraid to criticize or call out the program as they don't have a spine.

sometimes, whether a former player or not, you have to call people out when shit isn't going the way it should.

all that said....there are still 12 more matches left to play so no real reason to be freaking out especially with Jamaica losing their first two matches.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Didn't expect the 'Muricans to double draw vs Salvador and Canada. Mexico sports news only talk marvels of USA Golden Generation and MLS. I wonder what will happen to both things in long term.

Mexico won (with lots of luck) vs Jamaica and Costa Rica. Its damaging for your entertainment to see Tata's tactics but very good for combating your insomnia.
Wanna trade coaches?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
it wouldn't if our press was more like the english press and they actually weren't fan boys like the cvnts we have in twellman, lalas and company.....all former players that are afraid to criticize or call out the program as they don't have a spine.

sometimes, whether a former player or not, you have to call people out when shit isn't going the way it should.

all that said....there are still 12 more matches left to play so no real reason to be freaking out especially with Jamaica losing their first two matches.
Absolutely. They fact that multiple people (especially Landon) have hinted they know what WM did, but the press is not even trying to get it out, falls exactly in line with what you are saying. US Soccer has vindictively pulled credentials in the past, so the press may be tip toeing around this on orders from US Soccer,

I am not really freaking out over not qualifying, there are too many games left to play as you say. What I am really concerned about is how inept GB seems to be at
1) setting up his team to play to its strengths
2) adjusting his tactics in game
3) changing his personnel in game
4) accepting any criticism.

His tactics would likely not work with the full team there. He seems to want to control the midfield and launch attacks from 2 8's playing in front of Adams. The US does not have a player who can do that, let alone 2. Reyna could do that (it is what he is doing for Dortmund this year), but then you are moving him further from goal which is just stupid. The US lacks 8's but is strong in wide players, so of course GB sets up the team to utilize 8's and keep the play narrow. It just makes no sense.

FerociousCorgis

yeah they had their little moment after arena failed but then went right back to it. They didnt even go that hard at the federation for not canning Arena right away. That was the most pathetic thing about it all for me. Greg is delusional as hell too. Ended his press conference by saying the team was undefeated. I wouldve walked down there and canned his ass after that stupid comment then and there. Shows just how delusional he is. Then to only bring in one player and that be just trash in Yuell is just the last straw

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Also, these comments from Pulisic are telling. Am I reading too much into it or is he firing shots at GB?

"We need new ideas at times. Today, I think we didn't test them enough, whether it was not being direct enough or — I'm not too sure. But it just felt like we couldn't break them down. They defended well, but we need some new solutions. It wasn't good enough... At times we couldn't go from side to side quick enough and make them run enough. Everything was a touch too slow today."

FerociousCorgis

Absolutely. They fact that multiple people (especially Landon) have hinted they know what WM did, but the press is not even trying to get it out, falls exactly in line with what you are saying. US Soccer has vindictively pulled credentials in the past, so the press may be tip toeing around this on orders from US Soccer,

I am not really freaking out over not qualifying, there are too many games left to play as you say. What I am really concerned about is how inept GB seems to be at

His tactics would likely not work with the full team there. He seems to want to control the midfield and launch attacks from 2 8's playing in front of Adams. The US does not have a player who can do that, let alone 2. Reyna could do that (it is what he is doing for Dortmund this year), but then you are moving him further from goal which is just stupid. The US lacks 8's but is strong in wide players, so of course GB sets up the team to utilize 8's and keep the play narrow. It just makes no sense.
They pulled the plug on Jurgen after two games and still werent able to qualify. So very much a trap on that line of thinking, even with the different format this time around. Your points 1-4 are pretty much spot on, and essentially show him as being a shit manager. Those are 4 pretty basic things youd look for in a coach. But unfortunately he was able to grind out wins against shit teams over the summer, so he will just fall back on those to keep his ass in power til it is too late. Pulisic's face after the game and during his comments showed he was done with dumbass berhalter. Dude has made Pulisic look like shit after he was almost able to singlehandedly drag Arena's dumbass to qualifying

bosskeano

this is partly where i would disagree in that you need Reyna playing in CM simply because he has some creativity with his passing and an eye for goal. While Weston has created some drama, the midfield trio of Reyna, Weston and Adams is the best we have right now and that is a really strong group. We have plenty of wingers especially now wiht the emergence of Aaronson.

we have good young technical players with pulisic, Aaronson, De La Fuente, Sargent but we have to get them the ball in slightly more advanced positions which also means i would adjust our pressing tactics to keep them a bit higher up the pitch.

Robinson should be the left back permanently which solves that side of the pitch and allows Dest to play on the right where he is more comfortable. Honestly the main issue with this team in my eyes is the two CB positions as Brooks is way too slow and Miles, while young and athletic, is very inexperienced.

bosskeano

Also, these comments from Pulisic are telling. Am I reading too much into it or is he firing shots at GB?

"We need new ideas at times. Today, I think we didn't test them enough, whether it was not being direct enough or — I'm not too sure. But it just felt like we couldn't break them down. They defended well, but we need some new solutions. It wasn't good enough... At times we couldn't go from side to side quick enough and make them run enough. Everything was a touch too slow today."
see that to me is more about the players especially when it comes down to the comment about playing more quickly....i'm sure they were on playing with tempo and moving the ball quickly in practice. That is a responsibility of the players to recognize that when they are playing and make adjustments on the pitch. The manager can only change certain variables during a match to alter the outcome but he can't make them play more quickly when a team is sitting in a low block and you KNOW that is an absolute must against that type of parking the bus.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
this is partly where i would disagree in that you need Reyna playing in CM simply because he has some creativity with his passing and an eye for goal. While Weston has created some drama, the midfield trio of Reyna, Weston and Adams is the best we have right now and that is a really strong group. We have plenty of wingers especially now wiht the emergence of Aaronson.

we have good young technical players with pulisic, Aaronson, De La Fuente, Sargent but we have to get them the ball in slightly more advanced positions which also means i would adjust our pressing tactics to keep them a bit higher up the pitch.

Robinson should be the left back permanently which solves that side of the pitch and allows Dest to play on the right where he is more comfortable. Honestly the main issue with this team in my eyes is the two CB positions as Brooks is way too slow and Miles, while young and athletic, is very inexperienced.
I don't think Reyna should be on the wing, he should be central but much higher up the pitch as a 10. As an 8 in Berhalter's system he would almost never get in sight of goal or would be out of position if he was. The guys on the Allocation Disorder podcast did a great job of breaking down the issues inherent this this and your second point. Essentially the system Berhalter set out required the 2 8's to receive the ball and immediately turn and launch the attack. Acosta can't do that, and while Llegett is somewhat more capable he did not do that. This is what led to the slow, side to side recycling of the ball. The CB's would play it to them and they would immediately, without turning, send it back. It was obvious within 30 min that the tactics were not working and there was not attempt to change them. Beyond that, those tactics were never going to work with that personnel, especially once Weston was out. The only guys in the pool who can play this way are Reyna and Mussah. The fact they are both teenagers is a shocking indictment of US Soccer.

The US has now been dominated in the MF in 2 games by teams playing 2 polar opposite tactics. In my mind this Honduras game needs to be a make it or get lost game for Berhalter. Anything short of a win should result in his termination.

Edit: Just realized that reads as there were issues with your second post. Actually meant that your second post was spot on and they went into depth as to why I think you nailed it.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Holden and Twellman have said their fair share of criticisms of USSF.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Gonna guess WM was out clubbing or something? Sneaking ladies into his room?

bosskeano

Holden and Twellman have said their fair share of criticisms of USSF.
Not in the manner in which they should given the platform they've have each match day especially Holden. Landon, Lalas and Twellman are puppets for the the national team and rarely criticize performances or the manager or hell even the player pool selections.

I mean seriously how does a guy like Zardes still exist within the national team structure? or a guy like Roldan? Acosta and Llegett wouldn't start for half of other teams in CONCACAF.

Questions need to be asked about player selection by GB and what they are doing to enhance the direction of the squad and player pool.

Why wasn't Pepi involved in any of these matches?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
When the German NT collectively and comprehensively embarrassed themselves at the WC 2018 as a culmination of Löw clearly doing a terrible job for years, the German FA basically diverted all blame to Özil's and Gündogan's having taken a photo with the Turkish president, so yeah, disgusting and cowardly scapegoating to evade accountability happens in other countries, too

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

A monumental dumbass.
I hope she was worth it. If I was a teammate I would be livid. Forget letting the team down on the game, he brought an unknown person into the bubble. Could you imagine if she had COVID and just a few more players got infected? Steffens was already out with a positive test. After the shit he pulled in Italy he is going to have a long road back to be trusted by anyone. I applaud GB (:nervous:) for sending him home.

forevrared

Rumor has it McKennie slept with a teammate’s sister. Only teammate’s sibling he follows on Instagram is Pulisic’s sister, supposedly.

If, and I know this is a big if, that was the case, it kinda looks better. She’s more or less in the bubble - you know she’s already been around her brother.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Rumor has it McKennie slept with a teammate’s sister. Only teammate’s sibling he follows on Instagram is Pulisic’s sister, supposedly.

If, and I know this is a big if, that was the case, it kinda looks better. She’s more or less in the bubble - you know she’s already been around her brother.
thats fake and made up by Twitter trolls