What would it take to make ETHs 3-2-5 successful?

Lentwood

We know EtH isn't going to change. This 3-2-5 system in the build-up is clearly how he wants to play long-term.

Now, many of us doubt this can ever be successful in the Premier League, with so many well-coached, super-fit, transition-based teams facing off against us week-in, week-out.

However, let's suspend our disbelief for a second and say its not working because of the profile of player we have...what do we need to make it work?

Let's assume we can make four major transfers across January and the Summer window.

Try and keep it realistic and focused on player profiles, rather than big lists of players who should leave and big lists of players to replace them.

For me, we need...

- At LEAST one CB with pace, power and aggression. I know Martinez is very popular, and he has many qualities, but the jury is out for me on him in this system because he's so slow. Let's assume EtH sticks with him, which seems highly-likely, then we absolutely 100% need "recovery pace" beside him.

- An athletic attacking RB. Our attacks are still heavily focused on the left flank. I actually feel for Antony because, again yesterday, he beat his defender several times but had no United player within 30 yards of him. He needs a full back overlapping or underlapping to make use of the space I believe he can create.

- An elite goalscorer. In time, this may be Hojlund, but he's not ready right now. Also, this elite goalscorer doesn't necessarily need to be the CF. It just needs to be someone like Salah for Liverpool, who bails them out when they turn in abject performance after abject performance. This season especially, they've been poor on so many occasions, only for him to bail them out with a piece of magic. We lack this wildcard effect.

- A beast of a CM. I would also have added "ball playing CM" but I think Mainoo is already good enough to be developed in this role. Therefore, for me, we need a monster in the shape of Rice, prime Essien, prime Kante, prime Casemiro etc...who can effectively cover 1.5 positions in that midfield space on their own. Currently we badly lack physicality in this area and at CB, which is why teams cut through us with ease once they force a turnover. Effectively you're asking the CBs and the CMs to perform miracles and cover far bigger spaces than their counterparts in middling teams - and that for me is the major reason we look so poor right now. The players we have in this positions are solid...but they're not physically capable of patrolling and controlling these huge spaces.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Agree with most of what you’ve said, but would you trust ETH / Utd to actually sign the players needed?

We finished 3rd last season and went into the season needing more than anything a PL proven striker… he signed Rasmus and Mount - both for extortionate amounts of money.

I don’t trust him with a rebuild of the likes you’re talking about.

United888

Agree with most of what you’ve said, but would you trust ETH / Utd to actually sign the players needed?

We finished 3rd last season and went into the season needing more than anything a PL proven striker… he signed Rasmus and Mount - both for extortionate amounts of money.

I don’t trust him with a rebuild of the likes you’re talking about.
We haven't got this structure and direction, hence why the transfer business has never gone well for us and mainly not because the manager's fault. The manager was forced to take full responsibility to do everything and the board got no clue how to help the manager.

Sporting Director needs to take responsibility in charged for the rebuild and how the money is spent. I don't know why the manager needs to take full 100% responsibility for this. The manager already has so much things to do in his hand. We are hiring multiple directors just to do feck all and refuse to take responsibility because they got no clue how to run football club and got no clue about the transfer market. This rebuild problem has been the problem for 10 years under the same board but different managers, the obvious ones to blame is the board first for not having a proper structure in place for the manager.

Structure is needed for the director to say NO we cannot spend this much to sign this player. NO we cannot have players with this much of wages to keep or sign this player. When they say NO, they also need to have the alternative players we can sign in the transfer market that suits to the direction where we are aiming for. Other clubs can do it except us.