Which formation will suit and get the most out of United 23/24 squad?

LuckyScout78

After that the summer transfer window has closed. No more players will add. And with and without Antony and Sancho. Which football formation will suit and get the most out of this Manchester United 23/24 squad?

To find it out. I will take analyze and rate each positions. Which positions I think United is strongest and which positions United and Ten Hag shall drop.

Let us start with the defend :

I will stick with 4 at the back line. With Shaw and Malacia back. And Bissaka and Dalot as RB.

RB – CB – CB – LB shall be the defend

Midfield :

It’s here and in the attack I will make a change. To get the most out of the team and squad.

I will recommend a 3 men midfield which Ten Hag is familiar with.

A sitting and balance CDM in front of the back line with 2 inner runner cm player. 2 more offensive and creative box to box cm runner. Calling a LCM and RCM. Will look like this:

RCM – CDM – LCM

Attack :

With attack line I will make a change too. I will drop the wingers. And why? Because the inconsistent of the RW positions. Which most United fans share the same view.

So here I will go for 2 flat CF upfront and still keep nr.10 free role playmaker positions behind the 2 CF. A position where Bruno still play in the 4231 formation. It will be like this:

CAM + RCF – LCF

Whole line up XI. You can call it a diamond formation. A 4312 formation

RB – CB – CB – LB + RCM(8) – CDM (6) – LCM (8) + CAM(10) + RCF – LCF

And where do United players suit most?

The defend is the same. So I will just put players into midfield and attack positions:

Midfield:

RCM = Eriksen, McTom, Amrabat, Hannibal

CDM = Casemiro, Amrabat

LCM = Mount, DVB, Eriksen

Attack :

CAM = Bruno, Mount, Hannibal, Sancho

RCF = suit most for left foot CF = Højlund, Martial, Antony

LCF = Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho

Example of a potential XI line up :

Onana + Bissaka – Varane – Martinez – Shaw +

Amrabat/Eriksen – Casemiro – Mount + Bruno + Højlund – Rashford

Depend on the opponent teams. Like against top teams then I will prefer Amrabat defensive abilities over Eriksen offensive and creative abilities. Against top teams I will use Amrabat instead of Eriksen. Left side of Casemiro, the LCM. Mount has play there in the 2 first matches for United. And I will still keep Bruno as nr.10 free playmaker role.

And the level of the Rashford as left CF, who can drift out left wide side. Will make United stronger in my opinion than using a RW in Antony or Sancho.

And with 2 flat CF. I mean they are up front in the same line. Not one above the other like 2 CF is above the CAM/nr.10

Sum up. After mine analysis of United 23/24 current squad. To the goal. To have the best players on the pitch together. I think it will lead to and benefit the collective and team too. Reasons I will drop the wingers.

The 2 CF. With left and right foot and drift out wide and play LW and RW if it is right and the game lead to it. That is most effective to drift out wide

Like this :

Rashford in 4312 = CF + LW in one role. But LCF as main role. And we know in the attack. The CFs is free to roam where it is most right to receive the ball. But the starting position is of course LCF.

Højlund = CF + RW. Same as Rashford. He is left foot. So it will natural be for him. To drift out on the left side sometime.

Again. Personally I think and believe 4-3-1-2 formation will get the most and best out of United 23/24 squad. A formation I think and believe United and Ten Hag shall consider as a alternative formation to the 4231 or 433 formation Ten Hag has used in the 4 matches. Which both formations was playing with wingers and wide players.

And with the addition of Amrabat. A extra CM. Using 3 cm players will suit and gain United most.

Arlo

I still scratch my head as to why one manager after another we persist with 4231. Watching most teams just waltz through our midfield, you'd think we'd try something different, especially against stronger sides. I have no problem setting up as an underdog team would until the squad is strong enough to go toe to toe with the best sides.
4312 is a formation I've also thought about, with the only concern being whether our fullbacks have it in them to get up and down the pitch effectively enough for the whole game.

honirelandboy

At the moment I'd probably go with 4 - 3 - 1 -2 with Mount Amarabat Casemeiro in the three man midfield with Bruno as attacking midfielder and Rashford and Hojlund up front. Need a big upgrade on AWB and Dalot though. Could of working well Shaw.

Nickelodeon

Has to be some sort of 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield or 4-2-2-2 with inward AM roles. Not sure how the balance would work since our full backs, particularly Dalot, seem to be trained to support in midfield. With Mount and Amrabat added and Donny and Mctominay also staying, we have a lot of numbers in our midfield. If Pellestri isn’t magically an efficient RW option, then we have to tweak the shape.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
After that the summer transfer window has closed. No more players will add. And with and without Antony and Sancho. Which football formation will suit and get the most out of this Manchester United 23/24 squad?

To find it out. I will take analyze and rate each positions. Which positions I think United is strongest and which positions United and Ten Hag shall drop.

Let us start with the defend :

I will stick with 4 at the back line. With Shaw and Malacia back. And Bissaka and Dalot as RB.

RB – CB – CB – LB shall be the defend

Midfield :

It’s here and in the attack I will make a change. To get the most out of the team and squad.

I will recommend a 3 men midfield which Ten Hag is familiar with.

A sitting and balance CDM in front of the back line with 2 inner runner cm player. 2 more offensive and creative box to box cm runner. Calling a LCM and RCM. Will look like this:

RCM – CDM – LCM

Attack :

With attack line I will make a change too. I will drop the wingers. And why? Because the inconsistent of the RW positions. Which most United fans share the same view.

So here I will go for 2 flat CF upfront and still keep nr.10 free role playmaker positions behind the 2 CF. A position where Bruno still play in the 4231 formation. It will be like this:

CAM + RCF – LCF

Whole line up XI. You can call it a diamond formation. A 4312 formation

RB – CB – CB – LB + RCM(8) – CDM (6) – LCM (8) + CAM(10) + RCF – LCF

And where do United players suit most?

The defend is the same. So I will just put players into midfield and attack positions:

Midfield:

RCM = Eriksen, McTom, Amrabat, Hannibal

CDM = Casemiro, Amrabat

LCM = Mount, DVB, Eriksen

Attack :

CAM = Bruno, Mount, Hannibal, Sancho

RCF = suit most for left foot CF = Højlund, Martial, Antony

LCF = Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho

Example of a potential XI line up :

Onana + Bissaka – Varane – Martinez – Shaw +

Amrabat/Eriksen – Casemiro – Mount + Bruno + Højlund – Rashford

Depend on the opponent teams. Like against top teams then I will prefer Amrabat defensive abilities over Eriksen offensive and creative abilities. Against top teams I will use Amrabat instead of Eriksen. Left side of Casemiro, the LCM. Mount has play there in the 2 first matches for United. And I will still keep Bruno as nr.10 free playmaker role.

And the level of the Rashford as left CF, who can drift out left wide side. Will make United stronger in my opinion than using a RW in Antony or Sancho.

And with 2 flat CF. I mean they are up front in the same line. Not one above the other like 2 CF is above the CAM/nr.10

Sum up. After mine analysis of United 23/24 current squad. To the goal. To have the best players on the pitch together. I think it will lead to and benefit the collective and team too. Reasons I will drop the wingers.

The 2 CF. With left and right foot and drift out wide and play LW and RW if it is right and the game lead to it. That is most effective to drift out wide

Like this :

Rashford in 4312 = CF + LW in one role. But LCF as main role. And we know in the attack. The CFs is free to roam where it is most right to receive the ball. But the starting position is of course LCF.

Højlund = CF + RW. Same as Rashford. He is left foot. So it will natural be for him. To drift out on the left side sometime.

Again. Personally I think and believe 4-3-1-2 formation will get the most and best out of United 23/24 squad. A formation I think and believe United and Ten Hag shall consider as a alternative formation to the 4231 or 433 formation Ten Hag has used in the 4 matches. Which both formations was playing with wingers and wide players.

And with the addition of Amrabat. A extra CM. Using 3 cm players will suit and gain United most.
Just gets sillier. You must proof read these a dozen times to make them so bad.

joedirt87

Didn’t we briefly play a bit of a wide 4-3-1-2 under Ole with Rashford to the left and Lukaku to the right.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
--------------------------------------Onana-----------------------------
Wan-Bissaka-----Varane--------Martinez---------Shaw
---------------------------------Casemiro-----------------------------
----------------Mount--------------------------Amrabat-------------
---------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------
-------------Hojlund---------------------Rashford------------------

garelo

If Ancelotti was our manager he would change the formation to suit our best players, even if it means abandoning his favorite formation/tactic. I remember him telling a story that he was an avid 4-4-2 until he moved to Juve and had to make do with Zidane ("you simply can't waste a talent like that!") Knowning our problem in RW position, Ancelotti would scrap 4-2-3-1 and pile up our midfield instead in narrow formation where he can play our best strength that is our midfielders.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Diamond midfield with Rashford and Rasmus uptop
It is polar opposite of what EtH is trying to implement and there is no way we are using this as our default formation, not as long as Erik is our manager.

I happen to agree with him. But more importantly - we have not been buying the players to play diamond midfield with two CFs

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sorry, not into discussion

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am getting more convinced 4222 may work.

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Amrabat
Bruno Mount
Hojlund Rashford
Adding more numbers n middle of park is necessary. Casemiro and Amrabat must start together, with Mainoo also coming in during suitable time of the season.

As for our lacking of width in this formation, Rashford will naturally move to left at times to suit his games, with the help of overlapping runs from Shaw.

Right side though, maybe Bruno and Mount and interchange at times on the right. Dalot may replace AWB when we need more attacking runs down the right side.

Bwuk

I agree about ditching the wingers.

I wouldn't be against a diamond. We've got an abundance of players who can play in either the dual #8s or the #10.

Jeffthered

--------------------------------------Onana-----------------------------
Wan-Bissaka-----Varane--------Martinez---------Shaw
---------------------------------Casemiro-----------------------------
----------------Mount--------------------------Amrabat-------------
---------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------
-------------Hojlund---------------------Rashford------------------
I think this probaby our strongest XI, although I personally prefer Dalot to AWB. Mount, Bruno, Rashford and Garnacho need to be flexible in how they are set up. We haven't an attacking wide player on the right, so we need to address that, possibly play a full/wing back who can play a bit (Dalot), and get him to push forward, and ask you're two holding players to compensate.

Oranges038

Diamond seems like the obvious choice. But you can end up lacking width and get bogged down trying to go through the middle.

You could in attack, push one or both fullbacks high and wide and have Casemiro or Amrabat drop in to make it a 3, or end up playing 2-3-1-4 or 3-2-1-4 in attack. The problem is the lack of recovery pace at the back, for this reason alone I'd keep AWB dropped back, push Shaw/Reguilon up wide left and Mount out to the right. Rashford can still rotate and operate slighly off the left.

Onana
Awb Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Mount Amrabat
Bruno
Hojlund Rashford​

In attack
Onana
Awb Varane Martinez
Casemiro Amrabat
Bruno
Mount Hojlund Rashford Shaw

Ole'sgunnarwin

Ten Hag will never consistently play a diamond because he never has before and when you play one, you're full backs become the main threat and they're bleeding brutal going forward. Like the post above says, it's all FIFA talk. He'll play the same way as he has done.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Diamond without question for me. Case, Amrabat, Eriksen and Bruno midfield would be great to watch

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
So you want us to change formation and system mid season as the player's aren't performing well enough in the current system and think if we completely change what we have been working on, that's the smarter option?

I feel like some people genuinely think Ten Hag say's OK you are RW today, it's not. They have to learn how to act, look and run in each part of the transition, I've been lucky enough to be at a training session with a mate at a much lower level and they go into so much detail, it's not "I need more tracking back from you", it's a case of recognizing overloads from the opposition, where to run to combat specific other formations to get space for other players, recognizing phases of play and knowing your team mates and what they need, it's so much more difficult than "play diamond and we win"

philippexyz

I see a lot of 4-4-2 diamond suggestions here with Casemiro, Amrabat, Mount and Bruno as midfielders with Rashford and Hojlund as (wider)strikers and I mostly like the idea.

I think an ordinary 4-2-3-1 with Casemiro and Amrabat in the double pivot could also work with Bruno in his natural #10 role. When Mainoo gets healthy, we'll also see how/where he fits and how talented he truly is for the PL level.

Right wing is the issue, but maybe Pellistri and Amad(when he returns from injury) can positively surprise us. Could even try Mount or Garnacho there. I don't know if(when) Antony is ever returning and I have no idea what will happen with Sancho(presumably he's finished at United...).

My worries are the center backs this season(their fitness issues), particularly Varane and possibly Martinez. We'll maybe be forced to play Maguire a lot and that is an absolute disaster.
Also, I don't consider Martial as a professional footballer anymore - he's done, so Hojlund has no back up. I've read in some media that it's risky for him to play two games per week due to potential back stress fracture that could emerge(or whatever) - he needs "load management" as they would say in the NBA. So, we will have to play sometimes without a striker, again and force Rashford there where he doesn't feel comfortable...

Velvet Revolver

It is polar opposite of what EtH is trying to implement and there is no way we are using this as our default formation, not as long as Erik is our manager.

I happen to agree with him. But more importantly - we have not been buying the players to play diamond midfield with two CFs
I think we have the right players for this

Case

Mount/Eriksen Amrabat/Eriksen

Bruno.

Rasmus Rashford.

The players in the formation are quite fluid. Amrabat can drop deeper and mount can go into wings with Rashford and turn it into 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 also. The playing style that ETH Is implementing needs smart/intelligent wide players and we dont have exactly that. Especially now with Sancho and Antony out this seems like the best time to play this style.

sparx99

The eye test and known strengths/weaknesses of our squad screams this. Our manager however seems to not even countenance it. What do we know?
Our full backs are the weak link though. They aren’t good enough going forward to be the on their own out wide. With TAA and Robertson it can work but not with Malacia/Reguilon and Dalot/AWB.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I think we have the right players for this

Case

Mount/Eriksen Amrabat/Eriksen

Bruno.

Rasmus Rashford.

The players in the formation are quite fluid. Amrabat can drop deeper and mount can go into wings with Rashford and turn it into 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 also. The playing style that ETH Is implementing needs smart/intelligent wide players and we dont have exactly that. Especially now with Sancho and Antony out this seems like the best time to play this style.
May be. I think you have a good point that we may see diamond used in some games and in some phases of game, but I think for many games against top teams we will want to use Amrabat and Casemiro together, which doesn't work in diamond.

I may be wrong, of course, but that seems to be what Erik is shooting for to improve our away form against top EPL teams

OrcaFat

But this is not really a full description of it.

It’s 4141 because it’s:
- GK
- a fairly conventional looking back 4,
- a no6,
- two wingers and two high no8s,
- a CF.

But the no6 will often be joined by one of the CBs stepping out and/or one of the FBs tucking in so then it becomes 3241 or 2341! When the defenders move into midfield, the winger has to drop deep which gives 2431 or 3331. And when the oppos have the ball in the middle third, we’ll revert to a 433 or 451.

People wonder why this formation doesn’t run smoothly overnight. We have the players to do it but they need to learn how to play it.

sammyhol

After a couple of months of attempting to make it work, are we now all in agreement that 4141 is an awful fit for this squad?

can’t think of a single player who it suits… and a whole host of players who look awful in it (Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro, etc, etc…)

sammyhol

Still amazed at how little this 4141 system is getting discussed on the forum.

for me it is the single biggest factor in how terrible we have been this season.

and it’s pretty obvious that ETH is so reluctant to change it back to the 4231 that served us well last year because it would make his main outfield signing in the summer completely redundant.

Red Rash

As much as formations and tactics are important I think the effort, energy and physicality of the players is the biggest issue right now. It doesn't matter how we line up but if the players continue to put in this level of performance it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Bwuk

Would be tempted to give 352 a go. Our wingers are shite anyway.

Onana
Lindelof - Varane - Maguire
Dalot - Mainoo - Casemiro - Regulion
Eriksen
Hojlund - Rashford​

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Onana

AWB
Varane
Maguire
Reguilon

Antony
Casemiro
Amrabat
Mount

Hojlund
Rashford

feck it. Just try 442.

rooneyberbatov

Would be tempted to give 352 a go. Our wingers are shite anyway.

Onana
Lindelof - Varane - Maguire
Dalot - Mainoo - Casemiro - Regulion
Eriksen
Hojlund - Rashford​
I’ve wanted to see 3-5-2 for a while now, perhaps it can work with AWB and Shaw. Not sure I trust Dalot or Regulion.

sammyhol

Why is everyone (including ETH) so keen to just sack off the formation that served us pretty well last season…

Onana
AWB varane lindelof Reguilon
Casemiro Amrabat
Antony bruno rashford
Hojlund

with Eriksen interchangeable for either Cas or Amrabat against weaker sides where we will have more off the ball.

and Shaw and Martinez coming back in for Lindelof and reguilon when fit.

i know it seems a subtitle change, but the double pivot gives us much more midfield stability, and none of the CM options have the legs to do it alone as a single pivot

the wide forwards get more into the inside channels where they are effective, with the width coming more from the overlapping full backs

and Bruno gets his free role to roam and create with less defensive responsibility.

like I said though, the only reason I think ETH is reluctant to do it is because it makes the Mount signing look like what we all knew it would be….. Pointless.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We need a midfield. You can't have a midfield of one player.

This is extremely obvious in much the same way it's obvious you can't play without a goalkeeper, and fixing it would make a very big difference... yet it looks like we're going to have to sack our manager just to fix it, which is quite amazing.

Lee565

Can we not just go with two wingers playing on the same side as their natural foot, sure antony is one footed but so was valencia.

Antony___rashford/hojlund___garnacho

or go with the current real.madrid set up with no striker but two wide strikers and an attacking midfielder.

Rashford__________garnacho
_mount/bruno/mctominay/diallo

sammyhol

Why is everyone (including ETH) so keen to just sack off the formation that served us pretty well last season…

Onana
AWB varane lindelof Reguilon
Casemiro Amrabat
Antony bruno rashford
Hojlund

with Eriksen interchangeable for either Cas or Amrabat against weaker sides where we will have more off the ball.

and Shaw and Martinez coming back in for Lindelof and reguilon when fit.

i know it seems a subtitle change, but the double pivot gives us much more midfield stability, and none of the CM options have the legs to do it alone as a single pivot

the wide forwards get more into the inside channels where they are effective, with the width coming more from the overlapping full backs

and Bruno gets his free role to roam and create with less defensive responsibility.

like I said though, the only reason I think ETH is reluctant to do it is because it makes the Mount signing look like what we all knew it would be….. Pointless.
Time for my regular bump of the formations thread.

Anyone who can watch that first 30 mins and tell me that 4231, with Bruno at 10, playing for counter attacks, and fullbacks providing the width isn’t our best system….

Well quite frankly they should be in a padded cell.