Will we ever win a trophy under Ole?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Will he last long enough for us to have a shot at the Carabao cup?

el3mel

Joking aside I'm really doubtful about it. I think he'll win nothing here but he bought some very good players that might win things under the next manager.

But who knows, football is crazy and very dynamic. Things in it change faster than you believe. Let's just wait and see.

While I'm not convinced with him that much, and most people know that, I don't think talking about him sacked after every loss is meaningful or useful anymore. He's staying for now. Let's revisit his position as our manager comes the end of the season.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If the Club keep pumping up hundreds of millions every window on players, he might win us something.

Ace of Spades

No one can predict that, and no one can guarantee anything. A cup competition is always possible for any manager, the league is more difficult.

Manchie

At most top 4 trophy , it's also becoming a distant wish already

PoTMS

If we throw enough money at it we will. This season is an anomaly though and I wouldn't rule out about 6 or 7 teams, though Liverpool are obvious favourites.
It fecking sucks that 6 or 7 teams could win the league this season and it definitely won't be us.

Ainu

I could see him winning a domestic cup, we definitely have the players for it. Nothing beyond that though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He can get next 3,5 or 10 years but all what we can win with him is a league cup.

Asger

Not if Shaw and AWB keeps to be his fullbacks.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
To win at least a mild trophy you need just a bit of consistency, not to mention football's coherence is getting slapped by the crisis.

Still it's a possibility, because this possibility existed with LvG and Jose.

soapythecat

The club could continue to throw huge amounts of cash at Ole but neither he, or his coaching (?) staff, are going to do anything with the players they have. We won’t win jack with Ole in charge.
we won’t even make EL place this season.

matt23

Depends who we're playing in the final. Munich? No problem. Palace on the other hand..

Wilt

Way things are going ....Championship trophy next season maybe

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What do you think we will win? One of the smaller cups?
At first maybe. I’d say he will win the league If we give him the time to get the squad how he wants it. We are still carrying one or 2.
There is clear improvements made by individual players - Rashford, martial, Greenwood, Fred, McTominay, Awb. We need to temper our instant expectations and give it time

PoTMS

At first maybe. I’d say he will win the league If we give him the time to get the squad how he wants it. We are still carrying one or 2.
There is clear improvements made by individual players - Rashford, martial, Greenwood, Fred, McTominay, Awb. We need to temper our instant expectations and give it time
That's where you and I disagree. I respect him for getting rid of the extra fat in the squad but giving him more money would be a big mistake imo and lead to more deadwood for the next manager to clear. All the players he's brought in besides Bruno have been underwhelming.

Valuedrug

I'm curious as to what gives you that kind of confidence in him. Do you mind elaborating? Like what specific elements that goes into a title winning side do you currently see large improvements in during his time here? And given the trajectory of our rivals for the league title, when do you think we would win it?

An alternative explanation for the improvements in the players you mention could just be natural development of young players, and the fact that Ole isn't Jose Mourinho. Greenwood is a generational talent, so giving Ole credit here seems a bit of a stretch to me, and Fred, Rashford and Martial were all misused or to some extent almost abused by Mourinho during his spell at United. Who is to say that Oles tutelage have had any real, independent effect on them? And when it comes to McTominay and AWB, I just don't know that they have really improved all that much.

I would be more inclined to agree with his ability to develop players, if we had some examples of older players that he had found a new use for, or otherwise clearly impacted. Like if he had successfully turned around Pogba, Rojo, Lindelof or perhaps found a great use for Mata, or something along those lines. Focusing so much on young players, who were most likely suffering under his predecessor, seems a bit biased to me, but I would be interested to hear your take on it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That's where you and I disagree. I respect him for getting rid of the extra fat in the squad but giving him more money would be a big mistake imo and lead to more deadwood for the next manager to clear. All the players he's brought in besides Bruno have been underwhelming.
Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Telles, Van de Beek?

Robbie Boy

Doubtful to be honest. If he lasts the season then maybe a domestic cup with some luck.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The more pertinent question is will we ever play like a big team under Ole.

hubbuh

Joking aside I'm really doubtful about it. I think he'll win nothing here but he bought some very good players that might win things under the next manager.

But who knows, football is crazy and very dynamic. Things in it changes faster than you believe. Let's just wait and see.

While I'm not convinced with him that much, and most people know that, I don't think talking about him sacked after every loss is meaningful or useful anymore. He's staying for now. Let's revisit his position as our manager comes the end of the season.
Good post. He isn't the man for me, he's absolutely not able to get any kind of consistency.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Telles, Van de Beek?
Telles has played once, VdB hasn't played much more.

We paid 3 times as much as what should have paid for Maguire, and AwB is just a poor player that we shouldn't have got even in a free. Oh, and then is Dan James.