Wine Draft: SF - Gio vs Michael

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
GIO:

MICHAEL:

GIO TACTICS:

IL GRANDE INTER BLUEPRINT

The team follows the tactical blueprint laid out by Helenio Herrera's Grande Inter side of the 1960s which won 3 Serie A titles, the European Cup twice in '64 and '65 and were runners-up in '67, as well as 2 intercontinental cups.

The same shape and counter-attacking catenaccio is in play here.

The all-conquering Juventus and Italy trio of the late 1970s and early 1980s adopt the same roles as during their greatest achievements. Dino Zoff (Sarti) is a formidable presence in goals with Geatano Scirea (Picchi) acting as libero ahead, with his trusted lieutenant Claudio Gentile (Guarneri) to his left. The defence is bolstered by no less than Lillian Thuram (Burgnich) who rounds off the back 3 unit as a hybrid full-back / centre-back. Ahead the rock Marcel Desailly (Bedin) shields the defence, and to his left Paulo Maldini (Facchetti) needs no introduction.

Taking command from the centre is Luis Suarez who takes on the same role as he did for Herrera's side. He is supported to his left by new addition Andres Iniesta (Corso) whose silky smooth work in central and inside-left areas provides both defensive solidity and sheer craft in possession. On the right is Bruno Conti (Jair) assuming a similar role to his Italy '82 heroics, bringing flank graft and sharp counter-attacking interplay in central areas.

In attack the productive national team partnership of Alessandro Del Piero (Mazzola) and Christian Vieri (Peiro) is renewed - the smooth, technical quality of ADP well-complimented by the raw physicality and directness of Vieri. Both were well versed in playing and excelling in counter-attacking football.

Tactical points for the game:
  • Couple of changes from the previous game with Maldini remaining as part of the defensive effort but moving into a wider flank role to exploit his physicality. Thuram comes into the defence to duel with Eusebio, ably supported by Scirea behind him.
  • The sheer work rate from the entire team ensures we can play an effective counter-attacking game. Every player was known for their energy and defensive discipline. In Desailly we have arguably the most effective pure defensive midfielder of all time and his physicality and ball-winning should help keep tabs on Platini.
  • Herrera argues his Grande Inter wasn't just defensive and, particularly when Suarez and Corso were available, was very progressive. At their peak in 64/65, they trounced Liverpool 3-0, Rangers 3-1 and Dinamo Bucharest 6-0, and scored 16 goals more than anyone else in Serie A. The plan here is for Suarez to dictate the game with the rock-solid platform behind him and the complementary and progressive options alongside in Iniesta and Conti. The addition of Iniesta in particular provides balance on and off the ball and increases the smoothness of the transitions towards Michael's box. We will be looking to double up in wider areas using the flexible positioning of Iniesta and Conti in the inside and outside pockets of space.

MICHAEL TACTICS:

My team will play a 4-4-2 midfield diamond formation similar to the magic square formation used by Platini's France in the 1980's. Sandro Mazzola's position as the deeper lying of the front 2 on the right hand side is similar to his position at inside right in Helenio Herrera's Inter Milan where in 3 seasons from 64/65 through 66/67, he scored 21 goals in 43 games, 22 goals in 37 games and 22 goals in 42 games finishing as top goalscorer in the 1964/65 Serie A season. I will now provide details on some of the less well known players in my team before outlining some of the strengths/advantages that I think I have in this match up.

Jose Angel Iribar has 49 caps for Spain and has the Athletic Bilbao record for number of appearances. In Italy he was referred to as Zoff's twin not only because they looked similar but also because of his leadership and goalkeeping ability. Iker Casillas thought in 2010 that Iribar was one of the 10 greatest goalkeepers ever describing his abilities as follows:

He was a big presence in goal and had that ability to intimidate opponents. But it wasn't all about his size, which is useless on its own. He combined his physicality with terrific positioning.
Source

Giacomo Bulgarelli was a central midfielder described by Fabio Capello as Italy's greatest ever midfielder who won 29 caps during the 1960's and won 1 Serie A and 2 Coppa Italia's during an almost 1 club man career (he played 2 games for Hartford Bicentennials in the USA at the end of his career). On Bulgarelli's death in 2009, Fabio Capello described Bulgarelli as follows:

in my opinion he was the best midfielder Italy has had. He knew how to be on the pitch, recover balls, score goals, he was a leader on and off the pitch.
Source

Sergio Campana who was a teammate of Bulgarelli's at Bologna and the President of the Italian Footballers Association between 1968 and 2011 described Bulgarelli as follows:

As a player he was a great champion, he was complete, technically very strong, on the pitch he made himself respected, he had the skills of Rivera and Mazzola combined
Source

Strengths/Advantages

• My defence and my two most defensive midfielders (Makelele and Tardelli) are very strong and will be difficult to score against.
  • In addition to Mazzola mentioned above I have two massive goal threats in Platini and Eusebio. Michel Platini won the Ballon d'Or for 3 consecutive years (83 to 85) finishing as Serie A top goalscorer in each of those years as well as at the 1984 Euro's. Eusebio won the 1965 Ballon d'Or as well as being the top goalscorer at the 1966 World Cup. For 5 consecutive seasons between 1963/64 and 1967/68 he scored at greater than a goal a game in all competitions for Benfica (46 in 28, 48 in 36, 37 in 30, 42 in 33, and 50 in 35) finishing as the top goalscorer in the European Cup in 3 of those 5 seasons.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
iniesta in this team :lol:
actually like it but big chance he would get frustrated by his teammates