Wolf Eikrem has diabetes

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He got this diagnosis in January, and is therefore learning to adapt himself to it. I do not know much about this disease, but I hope this will not give him to much of a handicap. (Rumor has it that Ronaldo, Smith and Ferguson visited him when it was discovered.)

Hope that he will get all the support he needs, both from the fans and the club.

Eikrem seems more and more similar to Scholes if you ask me (yes, I know that Scholes had asthma and not diabetes)....

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Type 1...

And I guess he still is promising. Hopefully he will manage to adapt.

HellsTeeth

He will take insulin jabs and be fine once he gets used to regulating his blood sugar levels

Cold_Boy

Can anyone tell me how much effect this will have on his football physically?

HellsTeeth

amit_onlymanutd said:
Can anyone tell me how much effect this will have on his football physically?
His body is unable to regulate his blood sugar levels, if they get to high they will cause damage to his veins, eyes nerves and organs, if it gets to low he will fall into a coma. When you eat your blood sugar rises and he will take insulin injections to keep the levels in safe limits because his body isnt producing any or enough insulin itself. Excercise will also reduce his blood sugar level so he will need to learn how much insulin he needs to take. Once he has that mastered he will be fine.

Gary Mabbutt was diabetic

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hope it works out for him and he still has a chance to play professional football

Cold_Boy

HellsTeeth said:
His body is unable to regulate his blood sugar levels, if they get to high they will cause damage to his veins, eyes nerves and organs, if it gets to low he will fall into a coma. When you eat your blood sugar rises and he will take insulin injections to keep the levels in safe limits because his body isnt producing any or enough insulin itself. Excercise will also reduce his blood sugar level so he will need to learn how much insulin he needs to take. Once he has that mastered he will be fine.

Gary Mabbutt was diabetic
Thanks for the info!
It sounds really hard to do that.Hope he can carry on playing.:annoyed:

HellsTeeth

amit_onlymanutd said:
Thanks for the info!
It sounds really hard to do that.Hope he can carry on playing.:annoyed:
Once he works out how much the excercise lowers his blood sugar he will know how much insulin to take and he will be normal, he will just have to monitor his sugar levels all the time

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
My mate has it and he says you have to do a lot more excersise than normal as you tend to gain weight a lot quicker. I shouldn't there will be any serious handicaps that will affect his game.

M160RA

He'll just need to be careful during games that his blood sugar doesn't drop too much or else he might pass out. Also, the physios will probably need to keep some insulin handy in case he ever needs it.
Hopefully he'll be able to adapt just as Scholesy learnt to cope with his asthma (although IIRC, that tends to get better with age).

julesee

KingEric7 said:
My mate has it and he says you have to do a lot more excersise than normal as you tend to gain weight a lot quicker. I shouldn't there will be any serious handicaps that will affect his game.
has to be said Eikrem is one youngster who doesnt seem to struggle with his weight!

Gary Mabbut was diabetic wasnt he? obviously not the end of his career at all