Women's pro soccer league folds

FresnoBob

Apparently, womens' professional association football, in the form of the WUSA, has folded up shop and called it quits after three years, just before the womens' World Cup.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=277350&cc=5901&partnersite=espn

I guess it takes more than Olympic gold medals and previously winning the Girls' Cup for fans in the US to take the game of "soccer" seriously, considering the fact that it is, after all, a girl's game.

American males will, of course, be blamed for the demise of the league.

pigface

Supports
Atlanta United
Tis really a shame, not just because I was an employee, but it was a good day out. it seems a miss that they should fold up shop just before the World Cup. Attendance would have jumped back up after the Cup for next season.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Still can't figure out how professional woman's basketball is still around? Probably since the NBA funds it. WUSA had a much better product, and much more attractive ladies, than the WNBA. Well, what happens to the players of WUSA- Do they sign with other pro women's leagues or just committ to their National Teams?

FresnoBob

Mr. M:
The dominant teams in international ladies' football are the US, Norway, China, and Germany. This suggests that there isn't a significant womans' professional league in the other nations we normally equate with football excellence. I doubt there are many professional leagues for the ladies to join after the Diaspora from the WUSA.

pigface

Supports
Atlanta United
They (WUSA,) are hoping that investors will step up and provide some much needed money before the next season starts. With the WC starting this week, they thought they mught be able to grab some sympathy and land a few more investors after watching the tournament.