Worthington drops Evans

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Manchester United youngster Jonny Evans has been demoted to Northern Ireland's Under 21 squad.

The Belfast-born defender has been ever-present in the senior squad since making his debut against Spain in September last year.

He had been on loan at Belgian club Royal Antwerp at the time before helping Sunderland to promotion from the Championship.

But as Northern Ireland prepare for their must-win Euro 2008 qualifiers against Denmark and Spain the starlet has received disappointing news.

Disappointment

Evans missed the country's 1-1 draw in Sweden in October because of an ankle injury, and will now turn out for the Under 21s in November as boss Nigel Worthington sticks by his Stockholm stars.

The 19-year-old stopper will face Luxembourg and Moldova instead, as he looks to play his way back into Sir Alex Ferguson's plans for this season.

Evans featured in the Carling Cup exit against Coventry City at the end of September, but has failed to force his way into the senior set-up at Old Trafford since.

After doing nothing wrong last season, he's going through a bit of a rough patch now. All part of the learing experience and I'm sure he'll react the right way.

Cold_Boy

Will be very interesting to see if he makes it at United or not.

68-99-08

Higginbotham on the left too. Miller and Yorke in centre mid. Team full of Utd rejects.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Worthington is a fecking idiot, he obviously didnt watch any NI matches before taking over otherwise he would have realised that Evans was our best fecking defender and one of the most consistent players throughout the qualifiers!!

:mad:

M160RA

Hmmm, dont know of many players who cant make it for Northern Ireland but can make it at United
It's a ludicrous statement. Evans is 19, is being kept out of his club's first team by seasoned internationals, and is being dropped from his national team by a new manager. You've got to put things into perspective.

I think a loan move to Sunderland in January would benefit all three parties.

Alex

It's a ludicrous statement. Evans is 19, is being kept out of his club's first team by seasoned internationals, and is being dropped from his national team by a new manager. You've got to put things into perspective.

I think a loan move to Sunderland in January would benefit all three parties.
A sale for 5.5 mil would be far better imo

Alex

Without giving him a proper chance? No.

Everyone who's talented should be given a fair chance
Everyone is talented, just some more than others. I just dont see the Rio and Vidic partnership being broken up anytime in the near future, and you only play two a game.

PS18

far too early to be selling him. loan move in January to a premiership side would be perfect for him.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Looks as though he is behind Pique in the pecking order, so he has a tough job on his hands getting any games for us. In that regard I find it difficult to see how he could play international football without getting regular club football first.

P.S. 5.5 million is a fair chunk of change also.

RedPhil1957

Looks as though he is behind Pique in the pecking order, so he has a tough job on his hands getting any games for us. In that regard I find it difficult to see how he could play international football without getting regular club football first.

P.S. 5.5 million is a fair chunk of change also.

He got injured early in season so has not played many games of any sort this season, he is still very young especially for a defender

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
He got injured early in season so has not played many games of any sort this season, he is still very young especially for a defender

Which is why he has fallen down the pecking order and why his chances will now be limited from now on. A move might be the best for the lad, he deserves regular football.

PS18

he's only 19. it's not like he's been stagnating without regular football for any real length of time - if it wasn't for his early season injuries he might have got more of a chance with us by now.

we've got doubts over Brown (contract) and Silvestre (generally useless) for the future, Piqué i can't see sticking around unless he gets regular football either so the lad will get his chances. Jonny's one of the most promising academy products we've had come through in ages, i don't believe we're going to cash in on him yet. there'll be a few Premiership clubs interested in a loan in January, that would be best for all parties.

Suprah™

He's 19, and to be fair to him it was going to be very hard to break into the first XI with Rio/Vidic being so commanding this last/this year.

A loan move would be the best option right now for him

Cold_Boy

Hmmm, dont know of many players who cant make it for Northern Ireland but can make it at United
I only said it would interesting to see if he makes it here or not.He is still way to young to be considered a player who didnt make it for NI. And no way we should sell him this early even if it is 5.5 mil pounds.

Alex

I only said it would interesting to see if he makes it here or not.He is still way to young to be considered a player who didnt make it for NI. And no way we should sell him this early even if it is 5.5 mil pounds.
I know I was just being an ass, but it does hurt his future imo. I think playing in the national team would really help him develop some confidence and experience that WILL be needed to play for United.

Bammy

Should never have been dropped, it's a joke, especially when Sean Webb(Ross County) and Tony Capaldi(Crap, in defence at least) are in the squad.

He didn't play well in his last two games for NI against Iceland and Latvia, however there was still no need to drop hi.

EDIT-Just remembered, he was involved in a disciplinary issue during the Latvia/Iceland away trips so this may have something to do with it, still Worthington has to pick his best squad.

Danish Wizard

He played okay. It was a very difficult pitch to play at. Lots of water, and the game was almost postponed, due to the rain and the picth..
Northern Ireland played better than Denmark, and Evans did ok at the left back. Rommedahl never got past him, and he was very solid..