WSL 23/24 | Bristol v United - 12:30 on Sun 26 Nov

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
These days, Bristol are a rarity - a WSL1 team without a men's PL club behind them, they're in the Championship. They're very much a yo-yo team in teams of the league, but the fact they're in WSL1 at all is a sign of a good structure, a decent academy and good recruitment (including good relationships for loan deals from clubs like United)

Bristol are currently sitting at the bottom of the WSL table - level on points on 4 points with West Ham. Their only win this season was against West Ham, so they'll be fighting for every point.

Match is live on BBC red button and the BBC website.
Live in some countries on FAPlayer.

Demon Barber

These days, Bristol are a rarity - a WSL1 team without a men's PL club behind them, they're in the Championship. They're very much a yo-yo team in teams of the league, but the fact they're in WSL1 at all is a sign of a good structure, a decent academy and good recruitment (including good relationships for loan deals from clubs like United)

Bristol are currently sitting at the bottom of the WSL table - level on points on 4 points with West Ham. Their only win this season was against West Ham, so they'll be fighting for every point.

Match is live on BBC red button and the BBC website.
Live in some countries on FAPlayer.
Fair play to Bristol City Women. I do hope they manage to stay up, but it is a big ask.

I'll be there on Sunday, behind the goal in what is their main stand (South) for their men's games. United have sold out their allocation.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Fair play to Bristol City Women. I do hope they manage to stay up, but it is a big ask.

I'll be there on Sunday, behind the goal in what is their main stand (South) for their men's games. United have sold out their allocation.
Do their Men and Women always play in same stadium or did they move it for our match ?

Demon Barber

Do their Men and Women always play in same stadium or did they move it for our match ?
They usually play at Stoke Gifford that has a 2000 capacity. This one is at Ashton Gate. Makes sense.

Edit: Just had an email from Bristol City saying that this will be their record crowd, beating the 12008 who attended their match against Arsenal in October.

Last edited:

AmarilloMike

They usually play at Stoke Gifford that has a 2000 capacity. This one is at Ashton Gate. Makes sense.

Edit: Just had an email from Bristol City saying that this will be their record crowd, beating the 12008 who attended their match against Arsenal in October.
Awesome! Only here to see United etc etc.... Let's give them a show!

Joking aside, it is wonderful to see higher and higher attendances, just goes to show that the interest is there and the game will continue to grow. I really hope Bristol City can find a way to survive this season, as it is so important that a non-Premier League club is in the WSL.

Reactions: Rood

Demon Barber

Awesome! Only here to see United etc etc.... Let's give them a show!

Joking aside, it is wonderful to see higher and higher attendances, just goes to show that the interest is there and the game will continue to grow. I really hope Bristol City can find a way to survive this season, as it is so important that a non-Premier League club is in the WSL.
I agree. Games played at the main stadiums attract larger crowds. Whether that would happen week in week out is another matter. I expect the attendance today to be around the 13000 mark - not bad considering the BBC are covering it live

For perspective, Bristol City (men) played Boro at Ashton Gate yesterday - attendance around 20000.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I agree. Games played at the main stadiums attract larger crowds. Whether that would happen week in week out is another matter. I expect the attendance today to be around the 13000 mark - not bad considering the BBC are covering it live

For perspective, Bristol City (men) played Boro at Ashton Gate yesterday - attendance around 20000.
The women have been playing at Ashton Gate this season - getting 4k plus. They had 12k there to watch them play against Arsenal.

It's great to see them getting those kinds of numbers and a sign of the commitment that the club and the fans have put into it. I hope they'll survive, but I'm also hoping we're not part of their survival story :smirk:

Just for comparison - when Bristol went to West Ham, the attendance was 791.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
0-0 at 25 minutes. A lot of stoppages.

We've had the ball in their half for most of the game so far. Bristol defending deep and their keeper is having a good half but we need to do better. So far out best chances seem to be coming from Zelem setpieces and Rivière crosses.

Hinata and Geyse having some decent moments, but the attacking play just not quite there.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Underhit backs from Le Tissier nearly players Mary Earps into trouble, but she's able to kick it into touch. Always the danger in a match like this - the odd occasion Bristol do go forward we're slow to react and slow to take advantage of any space.

Eric_the_Red99

This has a last minute Williams/Garcia winner after a frustrating 90 written all over it…

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
This commentary team on the BBC is insufferable to listen to. The less I hear Fara Williams’ voice, the happier I am.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United win 0-2

Did enough to win. Needed a stroke of luck to get the first goal but the better team overall.

Bristol playing as predicted - solid team but a tough fight ahead to stay up. I hope they do. The club and their fans (14k of them today) deserve it.

StretfordEnd78

Good win. Le Tissier looking a little short on confidence right now but a clean sheet is welcome.
Feel we could have / should have scored 3+ with the level of dominance.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Le Tissier is playing too much football and it's starting to affect her game - we have lack of rotation options though

Glad to see Toone get a couple of assists as she's taken a lot of criticism lately

Demon Barber

Okay, so .. firstly 14138 attendance. United section sang throughout - including a rendition of "You've only come to see United."

Riviere, Blundell, Zelem and Toone were outstanding throughout, but Galton is something else. Geyse is a beast - she quite often receives the ball, loses it, but then wins it back. She muscled Bristol players off the ball constantly.

Skinner did well tactically, unless it was just a fluke. In my mind it was let them attack at the start of the second half and hit them on the break. It worked.

The first half was frustrating. Every attack seemed to result in a 20yd foul. We made nothing of them. A 2 - 0 defeat flattered them a bit.