WSL Cup 23/24 | Liverpool v United - 7pm on Wed 22 Nov

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
After the letdown of the derby, we've got to quickly come back fighting against that other lot.

Liverpool are a better team this season than they have been over the past couple of years - in fact they're currently level with us on points in the League and beat Arsenal in the opening match.

But this is the WSL Cup, it's a chance for a trophy and we need a win to keep us in the hunt to qualify for a QF place. Liverpool are currently on zero points in the WSL Cup group after losing (narrowly) to City and Leicester.

Match is live on MUTV and free to view (in most countries) on the FAPlayer.

Demon Barber

After the letdown of the derby, we've got to quickly come back fighting against that other lot.

Liverpool are a better team this season than they have been over the past couple of years - in fact they're currently level with us on points in the League and beat Arsenal in the opening match.

But this is the WSL Cup, it's a chance for a trophy and we need a win to keep us in the hunt to qualify for a QF place. Liverpool are currently on zero points in the WSL Cup group after losing (narrowly) to City and Leicester.

Match is live on MUTV and free to view (in most countries) on the FAPlayer.
Phallon

Riviere
Rabjohn
Evans
Blundell

Ladd (C)
Miyazawa
Malard

Garcia
Williams
Parris

But what do I know?!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
What's the format here? Top 2 qualify from the group?
The winners of the 5 groups qualify for the QF stage along with the 2 best runners up by PPG and Chelsea, who have automatically qualified by being in the UWCL group stage.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Still 0-1 at 90 minutes, 6 minutes added.

Malard's had a couple of decent chances for us but not quite getting there. Liverpool have had more opportunities in the last ten minutes, so far we're keeping them out.

Glorio

I've not watched her too many times but Miyazawa has underwhelmed a bit when I've seen her, given her world cup performances

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I've not watched her too many times but Miyazawa has underwhelmed a bit when I've seen her, given her world cup performances
I don't think she's being used correctly in this team.

RedDevilQuebecois

FT. United with the one-goal win, but there is a lot of work to be done in order to be more dominant and more lethal on the attack.

I really wonder if she ever clicked with the team or vice-versa. At the same time, you have to wonder if Skinner plays her correctly.

Lightbringer

Good by Skinner, although I would have 2 additional subs on stoppage time just to waste time :D

Eric_the_Red99

I missed the first half, but that second half was pretty awful from us. Very sloppy passing everywhere on the pitch. Liverpool really should have made their dominance count. A win’s a win though I guess.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think she's coming from a team that she knows well and her passing game relies on always knowing what ball your teammate wants and where they'll be to receive it. Even in this game there were a couple of good through balls from her that on another day could have been assists.

I'm hoping it'll get easier for her as she plays.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Leicester held City to a 2-2 draw. Penalties ongoing in that game, but at least a point dropped by City is good for us.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So the last group game Vs City is the vital one - a chance for revenge

Lightbringer

But Leicester can still win the group if they beat us, so it will be a tough game that one as well. We draw them 0-0 in the league. As long as we dont lose to Leicester a draw will be enough to win the group vs City-

Demon Barber

I don't know for sure, but I think its goal difference?
Given the madness of how women's tournaments are structured, I think it goes down to hairstyles.

Anyway, a good win. The City result is good for us also.

Edit: and a second clean sheet for Phallon

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
So the last group game Vs City is the vital one - a chance for revenge
Not necessarily. If we beat Leicester in 90 minutes, then even if we lose to City we'd still very likely qualify as one of the best runner-ups.

On the other hand, we could potentially knock City out of the competition by beating them, so let's fecking go for it!! :keano:

Demon Barber

Can somebody, anybody, please explain to me in very simple terms, how this convoluted competition works?

Firstly, this is a mini league. So why have penalties for a draw? Secondly, City lost tonight on penalties but the league table have given them a point. Leicester won, and have only been given one point.

It. Makes. No. Sense.

Lightbringer

Can somebody, anybody, please explain to me in very simple terms, how this convoluted competition works?

Firstly, this is a mini league. So why have penalties for a draw? Secondly, City lost tonight on penalties but the league table have given them a point. Leicester won, and have only been given one point.

It. Makes. No. Sense.
Penalty wins gives 2 points right? I am sure of that. Durham used to beat us on penalties every season they got 2 points.

And they have penalties to avoid extra time, but of course they would just call it a draw but perhaps they think its exciting with spot kicks!

Look up the rules online if you manage to find a proper website, which could be TROUBLE :D

Demon Barber

Penalty wins gives 2 points right? I am sure of that. Durham used to beat us on penalties every season they got 2 points.

And they have penalties to avoid extra time, but of course they would just call it a draw but perhaps they think its exciting with spot kicks!

Look up the rules online if you manage to find a proper website, which could be TROUBLE :D
According to the table ...

City: P3. W2. D1. Pts 7
Leicester P2 W1 D1 pts 4

It's madness.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
According to the table ...

City: P3. W2. D1. Pts 7
Leicester P2 W1 D1 pts 4

It's madness.
Looks like an error to me. Leicester should be on 5 points, not 4.

As @Lightbringer said, you get a point for a draw in 90 minutes, then an extra point if you win the following penalty shoot-out.

We could've avoided all this madness if we just beat PSG, but alas...

Demon Barber

Looks like an error to me. Leicester should be on 5 points, not 4.

As @Lightbringer said, you get a point for a draw in 90 minutes, then an extra point if you win the following penalty shoot-out.

We could've avoided all this madness if we just beat PSG, but alas...
Yes, possibly an error. Even the BBC are confused.

Edit: also on the BBC tables, Southampton have won 1 and drawn 1 and have 5 points. So they have got it wrong.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It is all very confusing but we should really take this competition seriously since the Women never won a trophy

RedRocket9908

Why is the format of this competition so wierd, 5 team groups just means extra games and really isnt needed so they should use the same format as the mens league cup.