WSL Cup 23/24 | United v Everton - 7pm Thurs 9 Nov

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Ok, so we're not in the Women's Champions League group stage - but we are in the Continental Cup* group stage :smirk:

Our group contains Everton, City, Leicester and Birmingham Liverpool. We play each team once, top place goes through to the QF stage.

Some hints in the build-up that our backup keeper, Phallon Tullis-Joyce, will make her debut. Presumably there will be some other changes in the starting lineup too.

The match will be live on MUTV in the UK and Ireland. Not sure if it's on anywhere else.

*Named in honour of its sponsors.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

ZELEM IS NOT STARTING. OMG!!!!!! But our new keeper are.....

Demon Barber

Well this is weird, I'm trying to run MUTV on my PC and keep getting a DNS error. Anyone else having problems?
MUTV really annoys me - I cannot even navigate to a link on my phone.

Anyway, resting seven players seems like a sensible option and the starting lineup should still be enough to beat Everton - who I suspect will also field a weakened team.

Edit: I genuinely thought Middleton-Patel was out on loan.

madi5h

Battle who? haha, Riviere looking like an excellent signing

Demon Barber

Lovely goal - neat passing, excellent cross from Riviere, good header from Parris. 1-0

And soon after Rachel Williams makes it 2-0 from another Riviere cross.
Riviere is quality. Is Williams allowed to score when she does not come on until the 85th minute?

Demon Barber

Naalsund cross, Williams steps over it to leave Parris clear and that's 4-0
Naalsund cross, Williams steps over it to leave Parris clear and that's 4-0
I hate to see a man drinking alone.

Given that we have 7 first choice starters out, and a further 4 injured, this is a very good squad.

Edit: No idea how I quoted you twice.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Half the starting outfield have now been subbed, mostly giving some of the regulars a 20 minute run out.

Evie Rabjohn, the 18 year old we poached from Villa at the end of last season came on as one of the subs at the 60 minute mark.

Parris gets her hat trick after some nice play from Geyse and Toone.

Demon Barber

You had the field to yourself and the goal right in front of you :lol:
I did a Weghorst!

I don't like to be picky, but could you edit your OP to show that it is Liverpool rather than Birmingham who are in our group. Cheers.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Galton makes it 7-0 from a penalty area pad by Parris, but it's that magic moment from Geyse in the build-up that will stick in my memory. Brutal night for Everton, a very good night's work from United.

Ref adds 7 minutes - that's just cruel :lol:

Demon Barber

Le Tissier for me. Such a classy player and elegant on the ball...followed by Garcia. Used to be Russo until she scabbed us.
I fully understand Le Tissier and Garcia. I just like Galton's skill, power, energy and determination.

Anyway - excellent performance and win.

Demon Barber

And the analysis section on MUTV is replaced by the goals summary. Which is fair enough and it's a great way to start our group stage.
Thank you for your commitment and efforts. Quick question - do you ever get to see us play live?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I fully understand Le Tissier and Garcia. I just like Galton's skill, power, energy and determination.

Anyway - excellent performance and win.
Yeah she's great, not knocking her. She reminds me of Sigsworth our old No. 9 who I absolutely adored when she was here. Was gutted when she left but was plagued by injuries.

But yeah, great performance all round.

Demon Barber

Yeah she's great, not knocking her. She reminds me of Sigsworth our old No. 9 who I absolutely adored when she was here. Was gutted when she left but was plagued by injuries.

But yeah, great performance all round.
Never thought of making the comparison before, but I can see it now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Thank you for your commitment and efforts. Quick question - do you ever get to see us play live?
I've been a season ticket holder since our first season and always went to most of the home games and some of the aways

This season though, I've only been able to get to half the games at LSV and none of the aways. It's a shame though - I like watching them live and I like the crowd.

Demon Barber

I've been a season ticket holder since our first season and always went to most of the home games and some of the aways

This season though, I've only been able to get to half the games at LSV and none of the aways. It's a shame though - I like watching them live and I like the crowd.
Shame. LSV is mostly too awkward for me to get to and back from, as I am now living in the South West, especially evening KOs, so I prioritise Midlands and Southern aways.

Home game for me in a couple of weeks ... Bristol! Luxury!

Lightbringer

That BIG win (City only beat Everton 2-1) should guarantee we will win the group with a draw with City in the last game. Have to win vs LEI and LIV first though.

Demon Barber

That BIG win (City only beat Everton 2-1) should guarantee we will win the group with a draw with City in the last game. Have to win vs LEI and LIV first though.
You are assuming that City win all of their other games though ; )

Highlights (badly edited) of the 7 - 0 for those who did not see it.

Lightbringer

You are assuming that City win all of their other games though ; )
Yes, since they only have Leicester at home left before playing United. I would think they are a lock to win that :-)

Would love if they lost 6-0 though.

Lightbringer

True. I forgot that they had played two. Duh.
They played Everton when Everton still hade the chance to go through. Hopefully Liverpool and Leicester rotate against us since they know City or United will win the group anyways. So we have the luxury of going through even with a draw at City. And Leicester cant lose 10-0 vs City. Of course we can beat City but a draw could happen, so the tie-breaker is nice to have.