Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen manager - Bundesliga Dinner Plate Winner

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Won his first game 4-0 v Shalke

Didn't even know he was appointed until just now.
That’s mad, wins a match 4-0 and hasn’t even found out he’s been appointed until 6 hours afterwards

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
He has been a highly rated youth coach for some time I think, looking forward to see what he can do with Leverkusen and a squad that seem to have a lot of potential. The problem with the "better" teams in Germany though is that a title is impossible, and the european spots are really competetive.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
News to me too. Also surprised to find out he retired at 35, that's quite early for the type of player he was.
That's ancient, he started kicking a ball around the colosseum with Julius Caeser when he was a kid.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
News to me too. Also surprised to find out he retired at 35, that's quite early for the type of player he was.
This is true, but I also feel like he broke through to a high level very early for the type of player he was as well. Without googling, he must have been very young when he went to Scouseland, and he had been playing for Sociedad for a couple of seasons at that point. With exceptions of course most controlling midfielders tend to bloom in their mid-twenties.

So a lot of mileage in those feets despite the early retirement probably.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
35 is not early for any player to retire.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
After beating Schalke, who are easily the worst team in the league right now, his team have lost 0:3 against Porto and 1:5 against Frankfurt. I think the players are making it very hard for him, but considering the kind of fixtures coming up he'd better find something soon, because this is getting into desperate territories.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would suck for Leverkusen and the Bundesliga if Alonso is poached by a bigger team next season.

Redivy

Would suck for Leverkusen and the Bundesliga if Alonso is poached by a bigger team next season.
Honestly would be cool for one of these young managers to really try and build something at a club first before taking that first leap. Like Klopp did with Dortmund, and even Simeone at Atletico. But I guess you never know if that chances comes around a second time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think it's obvious we won't get too many years from him. I doubt he'd have extended this summer just to leave after that, though. Doesn't really sound like him. Not does it sound like him that he negotiates with Madrid at this moment in time.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I think it's obvious we won't get too many years from him. I doubt he'd have extended this summer just to leave after that, though. Doesn't really sound like him. Not does it sound like him that he negotiates with Madrid at this moment in time.
They need a Carlo replacement next summer, so better buckle up...

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
We need him damnit. Papa Perez is a fair negotiator.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
They already needed a Carlo replacement this summer (and also FBs and a striker) but it seems they can only concentrate on one thing at a time: the hunt for Mbappe. :wenger:
I hope Alonso stays a bit longer. He has Leverkusen playing nice football.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We need him damnit. Papa Perez is a fair negotiator.
I know and because of that I was so surprised he extended when he did. But extending and then leaving just doesn't seem in line with how he generally approaches his coaching career. After the news of the extension broke, there were even reports that he phoned Perez to explain it to him. And even in the scenario that he replaces Carlo, he wouldn't be negotiating that concretely with Madrid just 7 games into the season I think. So the timing of these reports now makes me think there's not much substance to it.

But of course, he definitely could be off to Madrid 2024. If so, Inhope he takes Wirtz with him so that I don't have to see him in a Bayern shirt :D Ideally, he'll do so with one season delay!

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think the press are going to derail Leverkusen season with all the constant talk about Xabis future.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Honestly would be cool for one of these young managers to really try and build something at a club first before taking that first leap. Like Klopp did with Dortmund, and even Simeone at Atletico. But I guess you never know if that chances comes around a second time.
Different types of clubs. See @stefan92's post.

mav_9me

I know and because of that I was so surprised he extended when he did. But extending and then leaving just doesn't seem in line with how he generally approaches his coaching career. After the news of the extension broke, there were even reports that he phoned Perez to explain it to him. And even in the scenario that he replaces Carlo, he wouldn't be negotiating that concretely with Madrid just 7 games into the season I think. So the timing of these reports now makes me think there's not much substance to it.

But of course, he definitely could be off to Madrid 2024. If so, Inhope he takes Wirtz with him so that I don't have to see him in a Bayern shirt :D Ideally, he'll do so with one season delay!
I don't want Wirtz to Real either but anywhere other than Bayern would be acceptable. Having said that Wirtz may not have a place in Madrids team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'll say it again.

Take the Madrid job when they come calling, if you do want to manage them eventually.

Best case scenario: you do a fantastic job and you entrench yourself in the elite manager tier.

Worst case scenario: you do an awful job, get laid off with a lot of money, and you can go back to a similar club to Dortmund/Atletico/Leverkusen and continue trying to build something.

You can stay at the smaller club and do everything right and be shafted by luck, and everyone will hold the results against you unless you are lucky to find a hiring discerning club manager.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's Leverkusen, they'll manage to do that on their own.
With Dortmund unable to locate their ass with back hands this season, Leverkusen and Leipzig are the hopes to keep Bayern honest.
I don't think Tuchel is good enough for the Bayern role and will always be found out in Europe. Maybe if Leipzig and Leverkusen can challenge us earlier maybe he can either sit up or get fired

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Becoming a Madrid coach after a few years gaining experience in Germany was always the plan for Alonso imho. His background and knowledge may have been amazing but to become a real coach you need that extra experience of working with a real squad and real targets..Alonso will replace Ancelotti in 2024 this is imminent..

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
fecking annoying that I can't even hate Xabi at Neverkusen.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What's his secret?
Implemented a pretty solid system and Leverkusen had an excellent transfer summer. Sometimes you don't need a special secret, this is just good work in plain sight.

tomaldinho1

Implemented a pretty solid system and Leverkusen had an excellent transfer summer. Sometimes you don't need a special secret, this is just good work in plain sight.
It will be fantastic if Bayern sign Kane and then don't win the league.