yankees

DA Bears...

MrMarcello said:
Yankees are the equivalent of Manchester United in their respective sport...would you be happy if United lost the championship this season?

Do you really think that is an appropriate summary of United and NYY? I usually here ABUs saying this but I don't buy it. I would consider Chelsea to be more akin to the Yankees with their huge spending on a bunch of players with little regard to making a good team that works together effectively all of the time. The Yankees go for the best that money can buy, so does Abramovich. I see United as a club that is club that is financially successful with an excellent youth program and a keen sense of where it wants to go and how to do it. The Yankees do not have a very good farm system (minor leagues) to draw young players from, so they spend their money on whoever they can get. I would say that United are the best football club in the Premiership, but I would not say that the Yankees are the best club in baseball, as the Marlins showed yesterday.

In other words, Abramovich=Steinbrenner.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Do a little more research DaBears...you will find that many of the NYY key players have been groomed in their farm system and other prospects (like Mike Lowell) were traded to acquire veterans pitchers and hitters. This shows the Yanks have had deep farm systems.

Look at the list of homegrown talent that wear the Pinstripes as of Saturday...Jeter...Pettitte...Rivera...Posada...Johnson...Williams...Soriano...those are key players...they can spend, but have only made 3 large purchases to date: Mussina, Giambi, and Matsui...the other free agent pickups come at reduced or reasonable prices...even United have made 3 large pickups in recenty years...RVN, Veron, and Ferdinand...

That said, I do see major changes in the Yankees organization this winter...and I do think Steinbrenner will go out and buy some good players...Guerrero...Millwood...perhaps a run at Stewart to get a true leadoff man...and they will address the bullpen...now, if the NYY do go on a huge free agency shopping spree, then a comparison to Chelsea is understandable...but not at this current time.

I still consider the NYY organization as the club all MLB teams wish to emulate in terms of winning tradition and commitment. Now, you say that NYY are not the best club...do you feel United are not the best club in football when they fail to win the League or CL?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
MrMarcello said:
Yankees are the equivalent of Manchester United in their respective sport...would you be happy if United lost the championship this season?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Acutally you're the one with the bogus research. If we're going to compare teams then the Yankees would have to Liverpool and Man United would be the Cardinals. But comparing the two sports is completely idiotic so why even go there.

DA Bears...

MrMarcello said:
Do a little more research DaBears...you will find that many of the NYY key players have been groomed in their farm system and other prospects (like Mike Lowell) were traded to acquire veterans pitchers and hitters. This shows the Yanks have had deep farm systems.

Look at the list of homegrown talent that wear the Pinstripes as of Saturday...Jeter...Pettitte...Rivera...Posada...Johnson...Williams...Soriano...those are key players...they can spend, but have only made 3 large purchases to date: Mussina, Giambi, and Matsui...the other free agent pickups come at reduced or reasonable prices...even United have made 3 large pickups in recenty years...RVN, Veron, and Ferdinand...

That said, I do see major changes in the Yankees organization this winter...and I do think Steinbrenner will go out and buy some good players...Guerrero...Millwood...perhaps a run at Stewart to get a true leadoff man...and they will address the bullpen...now, if the NYY do go on a huge free agency shopping spree, then a comparison to Chelsea is understandable...but not at this current time.

I still consider the NYY organization as the club all MLB teams wish to emulate in terms of winning tradition and commitment. Now, you say that NYY are not the best club...do you feel United are not the best club in football when they fail to win the League or CL?

I would say that whoever wins the Premiership is probably the best club in the UK and whoever wins the Champions League is probably the best in Europe. While the system is obviously not foolproof, it is long enough to determine which club is the best. If you go by any other logic, you might have to say that Arsenal were the best English club last season (as Wenger did). The most talent does not mean the best team. The Yankees showed that (though they got awful close this time around, and certainly were the best team in the AL).

After all that talk of being the "best club" and whatnot, I personally don't care who is the best or whatever, I just want to see the clubs I support do the best they can to do what it takes and win with what talent, organization, tradition they have, whether it be United or the White Sox.

reddiebeach11

DA Bears... said:
I would say that whoever wins the Premiership is probably the best club in the UK and whoever wins the Champions League is probably the best in Europe. While the system is obviously not foolproof, it is long enough to determine which club is the best. If you go by any other logic, you might have to say that Arsenal were the best English club last season (as Wenger did). The most talent does not mean the best team. The Yankees showed that (though they got awful close this time around, and certainly were the best team in the AL).

After all that talk of being the "best club" and whatnot, I personally don't care who is the best or whatever, I just want to see the clubs I support do the best they can to do what it takes and win with what talent, organization, tradition they have, whether it be United or the White Sox.
exactlie :)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Raoul said:

Acutally you're the one with the bogus research. If we're going to compare teams then the Yankees would have to Liverpool and Man United would be the Cardinals. But comparing the two sports is completely idiotic so why even go there.
True about comparing sports, but we are not comparing sports...we are comparing franchises...and the reason I compared NYY to United is the current love or hate association with both clubs and the fact that each is the top revenue producer in their respective sport and each are the club by which all other clubs compare themselves too. It's not that difficult to see my analogy...but maybe it is for you. :confused:

FresnoBob

Raoul said:

Aside from the fact you are full of crap, Raoul, :angel: I find the ManUnited comparison more realistic. First, after the Yankees there is no second place when it comes to Series wins and appearances, so the St. Louis comparison is farcical, at best. Second--only the Yankees can claim the anti-fans comparible to the ABUs referenced frequently here at the Cafe. I support the Yanks, others seem to support the remaining 29 teams.

I had at least 8 folks at the office tell me they were cheering against the Yanks--although not a one could tell me the names of half the Marlins players (or their home park, for that matter). Funny, half of them were cheering for the Giants to beat Florida just a few weeks ago and most were backing the Cubs to go to the series as well. My brother called me shortly after Game 6 to ask "What about your Yanks?" I asked him how long he had supported the Marlins and he admitted "about 30 minutes."

Raoul

Admin
Staff

C'mon now Bob. I'm merely comparing league titles. The Yanks are first and the Cardinals second - same goes with Liverpool and Untied...though thats about where the comparisons end. Its kind of pointless comparing United's recent dominance to the Yankees since there's a huge discrepency in the amount of league titles that have been won by each side.

How bout them Marlins. :D

kennyj

Raoul said:
How bout them Marlins. :D
I think that it sucks. But they played the best for those six games and deserved to win. I know that you are not a big fan but congratulations anyway.

BTW, I agree 100% with Bob. The Cardinals? :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Kenny, I've made it a point to avoid Baseball since the last strike, but I eventually find myself getting sucked back in around pennant chase time and during the playoffs. I'm glad the Marlins won, but I think its rather bizarre that a team who has only been in existence 11 years has two world series to its credit while teams who have been around much longer have yet to make it. Its a strange thing, especially when you consider that the Marlins and Diamondbacks have won 3 of the last 7 World Series.

kennyj

That's what keeps me going Raoul. I can tell the Met fans that in 11 years, the Marlins have won as many titles as the Mets have won in 41 years. The Red Sox - fuhgetaboutit.

The good news was that there was NFL the day after so the focus was less. The bad news is that I'm a Jet fan so it was a lost weekend. I'll be there Sunday when they play the Giants.

Miami-VaTech should be a good one.

ellie brown

the east is red
Raoul said:
Kenny, I've made it a point to avoid Baseball since the last strike, but I eventually find myself getting sucked back in.
I reckon the recent strikes are the worst thing for that sport, often wonder why baseball isn't bigger in NZ, mind you, cricket is more than enough too keep people occupied over summer! :D :cool:

Sir A1ex

ellie brown said:
I reckon the recent strikes are the worst thing for that sport, often wonder why baseball isn't bigger in NZ, mind you, cricket is more than enough too keep people occupied over summer! :D :cool:
Yeah!

Cricket > Yank Rounders :D

DA Bears...

A1Dan said:
Yeah!

Cricket > Yank Rounders :D

After watching part of a game of cricket the other day (30 minutes worth) I fail to see how it is more exciting than baseball. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

Sir A1ex

DA Bears... said:
After watching part of a game of cricket the other day (30 minutes worth) I fail to see how it is more exciting than baseball. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.
Ah, you see, there in lies the problem - you only watched 30 minutes, which is pretty pointless. The strength of cricket is the way the match gradually develops over a long period. Very un-American, I know, but not much is all that likely to happen in 30 minutes... :D

DA Bears...

A1Dan said:
Ah, you see, there in lies the problem - you only watched 30 minutes, which is pretty pointless. The strength of cricket is the way the match gradually develops over a long period. Very un-American, I know, but not much is all that likely to happen in 30 minutes... :D

How long do the games last?!?!

DA Bears...

kennyj said:
They go on for days. It's the only sport that you can gain weight while playing.

Doesn't sound like much of a sport to me, though there are fat players in baseball. David "tubs" Wells is a good example. Part of the reason I'm glad the Marlins won the World Series is that they're a short ball team who runs fast and hustles for every play.

kennyj

DA Bears... said:
Doesn't sound like much of a sport to me
Its fans enjoy it and that's all that counts, same as baseball. I see people playing it sometimes in my neighborhood, but I don't know much about it.