Youri on Saha,Utd...

red_acid

Djorkaeff on Saha
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

“Not a lot was said about Louis in France until he came over here to England. He was such a good signing at Fulham scoring some great goals. Now he’s going up a level at Manchester United. I can see him forming a great partnership with Van Nistelrooy but also taking on the frontman role on his own. He is going to be so much more in the public eye now and that is going to give him a better chance of getting his first international cap. Obviously he’s behind the likes of Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet. But at United he will be getting so many more chances to score he can really start to push himself forward on the international front. Ferguson has lost a defender with Rio Ferdinand and his ban so he goes straight out and buys a striker. That’s great management. It says ‘We are not holding back’. Chelsea have the squad with the most quality. They have more great players than Arsenal or Manchester United. But Arsenal and United are more of a team than Chelsea. Arsenal are probably the most pleasing to the eye to watch, but United are the sort of side who can grind out a result even when things are not going well. People thought that when Beckham and Veron went they would not be the same. But still they are there and they could be champions again.”

Youri Djorkaeff on strikers

“All Arsenal fans must pray every morning that Thierry has woken up fit and well. I do not know how many games he plays but it seems to be an awful lot in all competitions. I do not know how he keeps going given the pace at which he plays the game. But there is a huge reliance on him for Arsenal, just as there has been at Manchester United with Ruud van Nistelrooy. They have obviously got Saha to help him and take some of the goalscoring burden off his shoulders. Now Arsenal need to do the same. They need to go out and get another striker themselves now — otherwise they could be left behind.”

Djorkaeff on Bolton 2 Arsenal 2 last season

“I know Thierry was devastated. I saw him soon afterwards and told him ‘Hey, maybe you lost your title but we had to do it to help us survive.’ But we were laughing when I told him that on the same day I got a phone call from both Laurent Blanc and Fabien Barthez who were both celebrating, shouting ‘Come on, Youri!’”

:D