Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Really like him but can’t ignore his poor form.
I would agree and stay away if he was 28, but he is 25 and should enter the best phase of his career, considering he started early.

For a good fee, i would give him a 4 year contract. I think ETH can work with him. We still need someone more defensive though.

Mainoldo

I would agree and stay away if he was 28, but he is 25 and should enter the best phase of his career, considering he started early.

For a good fee, i would give him a 4 year contract. I think ETH can work with him. We still need someone more defensive though.
Well this is it. I see him as an alternative to De Jong. So would be a big move to get him instead (If De Jong is gettable that is).

But we would still need that combative player alongside him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well this is it. I see him as an alternative to De Jong. So would be a big move to get him instead (If De Jong is gettable that is).

But we would still need that combative player alongside him.
If we were bold we would sign him as De Jongs under study and sell McTominay

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is actually not that great defensively and tend to miss the runners. We will just get an degraded version of Pogba. Still think he would be best in a 3 man midfield role . Something like Fred, DM, Tielemans would be nice.

Not so sure in a 2 man midfield.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I like him and think under the right manager/system he could still be a top top player. However, he has undoubtedly had a poor season and my opinion on him has soured slightly from a year ago. If Ten Hag wanted him and we could get him at the right price id still be all for it, he's certainly the profile of technical midfielders we need.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Look at the volume of games and mins he has played compared to others his age. It is unbelievable. If anyone will burn out at a younger age, it will be him.

Between United, Wales, Wales U21 and GB Olympic Team, Giggs played 1039 matches retiring aged 40. Tielemans is 25 and has already played 471 matches for club, Belgium and Belgium U21. Rashford is six months younger and has only played 350 exactly in comparison.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Look at the volume of games and mins he has played compared to others his age. It is unbelievable. If anyone will burn out at a younger age, it will be him.

Between United, Wales, Wales U21 and GB Olympic Team, Giggs played 1039 matches retiring aged 40. Tielemans is 25 and has already played 471 matches for club, Belgium and Belgium U21. Rashford is six months younger and has only played 350 exactly in comparison.
This is a big worry of mine with him. Maybe six months ago there was a graph floating around the internet charting total career minutes played for all PL players by age and there was one line that was a serious outlier and it was Tielemans. Its not a normal trajectory whatsoever. The flip side is that his injury record is extremely good, which is part of the reason he has played so much. And the burnout might not happen for a couple more years. But I would definitely not want to bet on Tielemans at age 29-30.

Overall, I think he is a good player with some weaknesses who would still be useful for almost any club and a bargain at 25m. But I don't think he is going to be transformative.

Reyoji-Utd

Right profile, age, bad form for a season (thus low fees) but wrong time for us as we have our mind on De Jong. Like other poster said maybe if we sell one of other Midfielder then itd be great to have him. Hes the technical player that we always screaming for when our midfield cannot pass or get away from pressing.

Classical Mechanic

He is actually not that great defensively and tend to miss the runners. We will just get an degraded version of Pogba. Still think he would be best in a 3 man midfield role . Something like Fred, DM, Tielemans would be nice.

Not so sure in a 2 man midfield.
That's it. He's discount Pogba. He needs carrying and he just isn't good enough for that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He has been mainly average for Leicester this season with only occasional flashes of brilliance. His form coupled with his contact means we will be lucky to get 25-30 for him this Summer.
What happened to him actually? Burnt out? Losing motivation? Lack of fitness?

Has he always been this season lazy defensively?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he is happy to be a squad player here then id take him if he only costs 30 mil.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No thanks, better options out there, not had a good season for Leicester....would rather see Neves and Rice
What are the better options though?
- de Jong seems not interested in joining us
- Tchouameni is only choosing between Liverpool and Real
- Kamara is going to join Villa for free
- Rice is priced at 150m
- Neves is priced at 100m
- Bellingham is not available in the market

So it’s likely only Philips and Tielemans.

OleGunnar20

- Rice is priced at 150m

If our scouting department still can't look beyond options as obvious as these (no offence intended, its just the standard bunch talked about by casual football fans such as me and you) then we'll never get out of this mess.

We need to be identifying the next Kante, Fofana, Mane, Salah etc, as we no longer have the luxury or the pull to simply cherry pick this year's RVP, Rooney or Rio.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

He seems to have lost his motivation this season & apparently the same thing happened when he was at Monaco !!
That being said, his form for Belgium has dropped off as well.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If our scouting department still can't look beyond options as obvious as these (no offence intended, its just the standard bunch talked about by casual football fans such as me and you) then we'll never get out of this mess.

We need to be identifying the next Kante, Fofana, Mane, Salah etc, as we no longer have the luxury or the pull to simply cherry pick this year's RVP, Rooney or Rio.
Only if it is that easy to identify the next best thing.....

I mean, we have been trying many times in the past 8 years, and we end up with the followings:

- Fellaini
- Schneiderlin
- Shaw
- Rojo
- Mkhitaryan
- Martial
- Depay
- Darmian
- Blind
- Bailly
- Fred
- Dalot
- Lindelof
- AWB
- James
- VDB
- Diallo
- Pellistri
- Telles

onemanarmy

He's played an insane amount of games in last couple of years. Think it finally caught up with him. He'll be fine with a bit of rest.

tomaldinho1

£25m would be great for him - he’s better than any current CM we have. Are there better players out there? Yes but how many are interested in EL football and a relatively unknown manager (as promising as we think ETH is)?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
- Rice is priced at 150m

IF Neves goes, I don't see it being anywhere near the £100m. Good player and all that.

Nick.

I have spoken online to people who say no to him but afaik he has experience playing in a double pivot and is better than McTominay so we should really think about this imo. We have a budget and need to be smart with how we use it.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
IF Neves goes, I don't see it being anywhere near the £100m. Good player and all that.
Its going to be another Sancho situation isn't it? Won't be anywhere near the asking price of 100m, but won't be anywhere near 50m either. Probably somewhere in between, I'd say 70-80m

OleGunnar20

Only if it is that easy to identify the next best thing.....

I mean, we have been trying many times in the past 8 years, and we end up with the followings:

- Fellaini
- Schneiderlin
- Shaw
- Rojo
- Mkhitaryan
- Martial
- Depay
- Darmian
- Blind
- Bailly
- Fred
- Dalot
- Lindelof
- AWB
- James
- VDB
- Diallo
- Pellistri
- Telles
For sure, but we're a shambles. Properly well run clubs with functioning scouting departments can do this kind of thing with a much higher rate of success (It's always going to be 60-70% at the best of times, I'd say).

I'm thinking of the likes of Leicester, Dortmund, RB, Lille historically. Even looking at the job Crystal Palace have done this year to rebuild their decrepit squad. It's perfectly possible if you have the right people in charge. Hopefully this improves markedly under ETH.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Its going to be another Sancho situation isn't it? Won't be anywhere near the asking price of 100m, but won't be anywhere near 50m either. Probably somewhere in between, I'd say 70-80m
You think he's worth investing that kind of cash for one player.

Out of Neves and Tielemans, I think Neves got the more defensive qualities and looks like he can play in a high press game. Maybe he would offer some balance to Bruno's attributes.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Thinks he is a better player than he is - has been really quite poor this season.
Tbf Leicester have been ravaged with injuries most of the season. He's a very good player and a snip for anyone who gets him for 25-30m.

EtH

At this point options seem limited. While not exciting I would take a punt on him at £20mish now that we have a proper coach.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm torn with this lad

On one hand I think he'd be a player who flatters to deceive but on the other our midfield is so bad he'd still improve us

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't rate him that much, being from Belgium doesn't help.(a strange niche of mine i know guys like kdb and Hazzard are/were Quality)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’d love to see him at Arsenal. Him and Xhaka plodding about in central midfield would be funny

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Didn’t the same thing happen in his last season at Monaco? His form basically nosedived in his final season there.

Is it form, or is he just fair-weather.

Nero

His a literal plodder. The way he stomps around the pitch looking out of breath after 5 minutes.

Idxomer

Didn’t the same thing happen in his last season at Monaco? His form basically nosedived in his final season there.

Is it form, or is he just fair-weather.
I don't think he ever played well for Monaco, he was labeled a flop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.