Zlatan on Lindelof

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think Zlatan is right about the mentality part. Lindelof was probably a bit fragile mentally when he came here.

Mourinho probably didn't help either with constant talk of signing another defender after he already signed two. What will that do for your confidence as a defender?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Zlatan is like Mourinho. Always makes everything about himself :lol:
Nah I know what he meant. It's about how you deal with the pressure of being the "star" of the team and how you transfer that big club, win at all costs mentality to others.
Also Zlatan, as arrogant as he can be, is way more likeable than Jose. It's part of his persona.

El Presidente

Nothing like him. Zlatan’s arrogance is cool. Mourinho’s cringey and repulsive. Do you remember his “Respect, respect” rant? I felt embarassed for him. Zlatan would never put himself in such situation.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I miss Zlatan :(
Same. Never realized we had such a great personality on the pitch. Only if Mourinho had not stifled the entire team he would have smashed the goals left right and centre!

Suedesi

Same. Never realized we had such a great personality on the pitch. Only if Mourinho had not stifled the entire team he would have smashed the goals left right and centre!
He really came too late to us. If he came straight after Barcelona or Milan he would have been legendary here. After PSG he was physically in steep decline.

Irwin99

He really came too late to us. If he came straight after Barcelona or Milan he would have been legendary here. After PSG he was physically in steep decline.
Still think he would have gotten 35-40 goals if it hadn’t been for that injury. He was on 27 with quite a few games to spare. I know he could be a bit erratic but he just had that special charisma. I wonder how Jose’s time here would have panned out if Zlatan hadn’t had that injury (not saying it would have been better, we did finish 6th that year after all)

As for Lindelof, he’s come along way since that first pre season and the game against Huddersfield.

Moriarty

Zlatan was never in steep physical decline. They guy was built like Superman and was probably the fittest member of our squad.

ChaddyP

I think Zlatan is right about the mentality part. Lindelof was probably a bit fragile mentally when he came here.

Mourinho probably didn't help either with constant talk of signing another defender after he already signed two. What will that do for your confidence as a defender?
personally for me it would make me want to prove him wrong and work even harder to earn my spot

Suedesi

Zlatan was never in steep physical decline. They guy was built like Superman and was probably the fittest member of our squad.
He lost a yard of pace for sure. Compare his performances for Inter vs Milan and you can tell. He also speaks about it in his book, how at Milan he started to play smarter, to conserve energy, etc. Then add 4 years at PSG and you got Zlatan at Man Utd. Still a good player, but never the best Ibra.

Kapardin

Unlike Mourinho, he doesn't take himself seriously. Though he does consider himself to be the best, the whole "I'm God" thing is just a comic act for the cameras. He also doesn't belittle others to big himself up.

SATA

Anyone remembers the teaser he gave in a video when we went to the US for preseason? I always wonder what was that all about or it was just blatant advertising from the club

norm87cro

He's opinion is probably spot on. And Lindelof has improved aldo I personally still have my reservations. That being said, I can see Zlatan (in his prime) dominating somebody like Lindelof

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
He's opinion is probably spot on. And Lindelof has improved aldo I personally still have my reservations. That being said, I can see Zlatan (in his prime) dominating somebody like Lindelof
One of the best forwards of all time dominating a CB? YOU DON'T SAY.

(Sorry, I'm well on my way to drunk)

SoCross

Such a fantastic player and personality. Wish we'd got him earlier.

meamth

"Listen, you come here (to this club) is not to make friends..."

I shat my pants if I were Lindelof.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford

People are really reaching to blame Mourinho for Lindelof’s initial struggles. He showed more faith in him than most people here.

His poor form also came before Mourinho commented on the CB’s. He’s been our best defender all season.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
People are really reaching to blame Mourinho for Lindelof’s initial struggles. He showed more faith in him than most people here.

His poor form also came before Mourinho commented on the CB’s. He’s been our best defender all season.
I get that Lindelof settled down under Jose, right before he left but Jose also didn't really help by whining about our defence when in fact he bought 2 defenders already. No need for that type of reaction imo.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I get that Lindelof settled down under Jose, right before he left but Jose also didn't really help by whining about our defence when in fact he bought 2 defenders already. No need for that type of reaction imo.
We do need Centre Backs though and as much as Lindelof has impressed since there's not a soul alive who would have been relying on him to be the #1 choice heading into the season. I think you could make a better argument of it affecting Bailly and Jones rather then Lindelof who's noticeably improved since.

crossy1686

career ending
Racism in Sweden is quite obvious and Zlatan being from an immigrant family bore a lot of it growing up in Malmo. Much of his referring to himself a lot and this third person stuff is a front, it's a character he had to play to be successful and disassociate himself with the abuse he received growing up (it's the character I play that they hate, not me).

Anyway, you either love him or hate him. I disliked him immensely until he played for us but then again I'm not a Swede and hearing about him on a daily basis was unbearable.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I'm not sure he was fragile, I just think he was nice, a little different. Sounds more like he was treating everyone as mates rather than the other CBs as players who want to keep him out of the team. Also treating the club as somewhere who has his best interests at heart rather than a place that would discard him if his performances were not good enough.

izec

Lindelöf also played like that in the beginning, naive, a bit lost and a pussy. There was no bite in him, was strolling around and he was happy to just be here. Seems to have grown some balls over time, realising what it's about.

OldPop

Zlatan is right, Lindelof was too much kind boy when he came, both against opponents, teammates and the coach. Straight opposite to Zlatan when it comes to those qualities.

But Lindelof is wise, works hard and loyal, and above all he seems to learn very quickly. I think he listened to Zlatan's advice but also realized that it was exactly what he needed to succeed in the team.

Nucks

RT History Department
Yes he was. It's just natural. As you age, and at Zlatans age, you start losing your quickness, you don't lose your power, but you lose your quickness. It's just natural. It's sort of why you often see boxers/mma fighters who relied on a lot of power do well into their 40's, whereas guys who built off of their quickness, tend to fall off a cliff in their early 30's.

RC89

Zlatans finishing was shit, slows down our play. He was okay, but largley ineffective in a lot of games, even when he scored 27.

The fact he scored so many was a testament to the players around him given how average he was for us. There was a point during that season his shot to goal ratio was 17:1.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Zlatans finishing was shit, slows down our play. He was okay, but largley ineffective in a lot of games, even when he scored 27.

The fact he scored so many was a testament to the players around him given how average he was for us. There was a point during that season his shot to goal ratio was 17:1.
What a load of shite.

His attcking movement was on another level. To put all those chances down to hos teammates is ridiculous.

RC89

What a load of shite.

His attcking movement was on another level. To put all those chances down to hos teammates is ridiculous.
Sure it was mate. On another level :lol:

His finishing was shocking for an extended period during his decent scoring season. Wasn't a terrible player for us, was average and that's it. Average was better than how we were playing, that's all.

I realize you've been quoted a million times already, but here's one more:

I think Zlatan comparing Lindelöf's situation to his own and remarking on his mental development and how it's not a question of quality is the biggest compliment Lindelöf can achieve. For a Swedish footballer that's worth more than praise from, say, Messi or Ronaldo, he is that important in Swedish football.