Oscars 2012

kps88

No Tinker Tailor in best picture? No Albert Brooks for Drive? :(

Also why are only two songs nominated for best song?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids as a Supporting Actress Nomination is a joke... she was the worst thing about that film by a distance.

Also, this is the first time in a long time that I haven't seen any of the films nominated for best picture...

Easy V

Brilliant to see Gary Oldman finally being nominated. That's been a long time coming.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids as a Supporting Actress Nomination is a joke... she was the worst thing about that film by a distance.

Also, this is the first time in a long time that I haven't seen any of the films nominated for best picture...
I thought she was funny. Kind of like a female Alan from The Hangover. Bridesmaids made me laugh quite a lot actually. Also, her being nominated is quite inspirational to me. If you can get an oscar nom for pretending to shit in a sink then anything is possible!

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I thought she was funny. Kind of like a female Alan from The Hangover. Bridesmaids made me laugh quite a lot actually. Also, her being nominated is quite inspirational to me. If you can get an oscar nom for pretending to shit in a sink then anything is possible!
I thought she was just a stereotypical gratuitous fat girl... it was nothing new or overly funny... and there were for my tasteToo many shit/fart jokes.

If that gets you an oscar nomination, then surely Seth Rogan should have multiple nominations by now... and Zach Galifianakis.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I thought she was just a stereotypical gratuitous fat girl... it was nothing new or overly funny... and there were for my tasteToo many shit/fart jokes.

If that gets you an oscar nomination, then surely Seth Rogan should have multiple nominations by now... and Zach Galifianakis.
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Perhaps there weren't too many other candidates. Looking at the other nominees there is two from the same film and one woman who was in a film called Albert Nobbs, whatever the hell that is.

Edit: I've looked it up and it seems to be Mrs Doubtfire but the other way round. And it's not a comedy.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Perhaps there weren't too many other candidates. Looking at the other nominees there is two from the same film and one woman who was in a film called Albert Nobbs, whatever the hell that is.

Edit: I've looked it up and it seems to be Mrs Doubtfire but the other way round. And it's not a comedy.
Not heard or seen it either... and from that description, I don't plan on doing! At least the lead actress field is strong... though Charlize Theron can count herself unlucky for her performance in Young Adult.

Wait. What? The fat bird from Bridesmaids has a nom?!?
Unbelievably... yes.

King_Eric

A Seperation will probably have that award all but sewn up. I would have had The Skin I Live In among the nominations but I guess it wasn't submitted for the same reasons a film like Oldboy was never submitted.
Yes, most film critics predict that it will be A Seperation, without a doubt. Haven't seen any of the other nominees, but Bullhead really is a great film. Probably the best Belgian film I've ever seen. A great dark, raw drama and a superb lead by Matthias Schoenaerts.

I'm glad they finally showed some balls here in Belgium by sending this film instead of yet another social/poverty/drama Dardennes-film like they usually do.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Yes, most film critics predict that it will be A Seperation, without a doubt. Haven't seen any of the other nominees, but Bullhead really is a great film. Probably the best Belgian film I've ever seen. A great dark, raw drama and a superb lead by Matthias Schoenaerts.

I'm glad they finally showed some balls here in Belgium by sending this film instead of yet another social/poverty/drama Dardennes-film like they usually do.
How does it compare to Man Bites Dog?

King_Eric

How does it compare to Man Bites Dog?
Haven't seen that one yet. Is it Belgian?

Edit: Nevermind, it has another title here (C'est arrivé pres de chez vous).
It's quite different actually. This film is more a personal drama and also not as shocking or brutal as well. Well, it is shocking and disturbing, but in another way. It's not really violent. It's also not a charge against society in any way, unlike Man Bites Dog is.

Both are some of my favorite Belgian movies ever, but Belgian cinema isn't that great to be honest. They have some good book adaptations, but other than that it's pretty meager.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Haven't seen that one yet. Is it Belgian?

Edit: Nevermind, it has another title here (C'est arrivé pres de chez vous).
It's quite different actually. This film is more a personal drama and also not as shocking or brutal as well. Well, it is shocking and disturbing, but in another way. It's not really violent. It's also not a charge against society in any way, unlike Man Bites Dog is.

Both are some of my favorite Belgian movies ever, but Belgian cinema isn't that great to be honest. They have some good book adaptations, but other than that it's pretty meager.
It does sound like the thing that usually ticks my boxes. I'll look into it.

King_Eric

It does sound like the thing that usually ticks my boxes. I'll look into it.
Most remarkable is that this is the director's debut as well.

And Schoenaerts had to gain 30kg of muscles in a very short time for his role. He really carries this movie. Seldom seen such an impressive acting performance.

Some more info here (starting around 10:35)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The Tree of Life suuuuuuuuuucked. Such an god dawn awful movie. The equivalent of some blob in a museum with music coming out of it.

Doesn't seem like critics agree with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Doesn't get good reviews.

Midnight In Paris. Owen Wilson and Woody Allen! Count me Iiiaaaoooouut.

War Horse? Story sounds like a 10 year old girl wrote a tough guy movie.

Moneyball. Will probably see it. In probably 3-10 years. No rush there.

Will see Hugo, The Descendants and The Help. Not sure about The Artist. Sounds very boring. Typical Oscar nominee picture that you have no excitement over. Might be good but doesn't look it.

Snow

Most remarkable is that this is the director's debut as well.

And Schoenaerts had to gain 30kg of muscles in a very short time for his role. He really carries this movie. Seldom seen such an impressive acting performance.
Yup. Steroids do that for you.

Snow

Michelle Williams was smart. She played a famous person and didn't go full retard. That's a 90% chance of Oscar win there.

Snow

Wouldn't put it past him. But he really did train and eat enormous amounts for months.
Sure, he probably did lots of hard work. But that amount of muscle can't be achieved in such a short time. Someone professional correct me if I'm wrong here.
Not a bad thing. Not like he's competing in anything. If used right by someone who is trained to handle it, it can do wonders.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
The Tree of Life suuuuuuuuuucked. Such an god dawn awful movie. The equivalent of some blob in a museum with music coming out of it.

Doesn't seem like critics agree with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Doesn't get good reviews.

Midnight In Paris. Owen Wilson and Woody Allen! Count me Iiiaaaoooouut.

War Horse? Story sounds like a 10 year old girl wrote a tough guy movie.

Moneyball. Will probably see it. In probably 3-10 years. No rush there.

Will see Hugo, The Descendants and The Help. Not sure about The Artist. Sounds very boring. Typical Oscar nominee picture that you have no excitement over. Might be good but doesn't look it.
I don't want to appear cynical but it says Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close deals a bit with 9/11 which might have played a part in it landing a nomination.

The Tree of Life should be a sure shot for best cinematography though, Lubezki is one the best in the business. The Artist is pretty light-hearted and quite accessible, don't let the silent factor scare you away.

Snow

The Tree of Life was pretty much just cinematography. Reminded me of The New World and those two movies sit firmly together as the two movies I dislike the most.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
The Tree of Life was pretty much just cinematography. Reminded me of The New World and those two movies sit firmly together as the two movies I dislike the most.
I think both of those films could have been a lot better with some decent editing, especially The New World which was almost ruined by terrible editing. I guess it's his style but I think it often hurts the films and makes them feel a bit disjointed.

No Drive? not anywhere?? booooooooh
Best Achievement in Sound Editing