Stewart Lee's comedy vehicle....

El B

Anyone see this last night?

Pretentious shite.

All a bit embarrassing really. No need for his endless unfunny rants

Aporkalypse

Totally disagree, nice to have some cynicism and bile on TV and Stewart Lee delivers it superbly.

This and Charlie Brooker's Screen/News Wipe are needed to counter the lowest-common-denominator flow of steaming turds that seem to make it to our screens these days.

El B

Charlie Brooker does it without coming across as an absolute twat though. Im a huge fan of his tv shows (|screen wipe especially) and writing, and Im all for a bit of cynicism but i just thought Stewart Lee seemed a bit forced.Maybe thats his schtick but i didnt buzz off it, and i haven't paid much attention to him previousy but It made me cringe really, kinda like an old guy pretending to be cool. He came across as a bad mixture of Bill Hicks and Charlie Brooker

2x G.N. Sweepstake Winner, Apprentice Winner 2013
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place.
Very unfunny. The bit when he was describing what a rapper was, I nearly fell asleep. Just kept repeating the same thing over and over and then perhaps added one unfunny description at a time. Boring. Shite.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
thought it was crap, half the program was spent saying Del Boy falling over and Trigger pulling a face. ok we get the point get on with it.

I used to like him when he did that Sunday morning show with Herring and the Curious Orange

Muckamore Red

Absolutely awful. As has been said, continually repeated himself time and time again. Awful.

Castolo

His stand-up is usually brilliant but Charlie Brooker has cornered the market on this anti-mainstream, grumpy, cynical vibe. Lee should turn his attention to something else.

Member 39557

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I think he's ok. He doesn't blow me away but some of it is quite funny. His episode about political correctness gone mad was quite funny when he was talking about the muslim woman at weight watchers.

He used to be funny years ago. he had a sketch show with another comedian (whose name escapes me) called fist of fun which was good when I was young but I wouldn't like to guess if it has dated well or not.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
The show is essentially his recent stand up show cut into pieces and interspersed with less than good "sketches". His delivery is a bit tired and quite hurried compared to his excellent 41st Best Stand Up Ever show and doesn't really work in this medium.
He obviously got a commission for it and couldn't say no.
I think he's one of the funniest men alive in a stand-up context.

Nearco

youth team player
He over eggs it sometimes but he`s on the money with his critique of British culture.

I wonder how many of his critics on here think Only Fools and Horses is funny.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
His act on that, only fools and horses clip being voted Britain's funniest moment, had me in stitches.

Haven't seen too much of him, but the stand-ups from him have been good.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
His bit on how 9/11 is actually the 9th of November is fecking funny

His main problem is that when he's on an unfunny riff, he sticks with it for too long...there are occasional nuggets of gold in there though

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
His act on that, only fools and horses clip being voted Britain's funniest moment, had me in stitches.

Haven't seen too much of him, but the stand-ups from him have been good.
Really? I thought that was painful to watch. I'd far rather he'd just stuck the clip of Del Boy on repeat for 15 minutes even though he's right and it isn't, in fact, close to the funniest thing ever on TV. Still miles better than that stream of vomit coming out of his mouth.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Just watched the first episode. Apart from thinking that these faux standup shows never work that well on TV, I thought it was excellent.

His dead pan delivery is probably an acquired taste but the content is always solid.

Oh and the rapper bit didn't work for me either.

Edit: Just watched episode 3. Hilarious, brilliant show. Coffee a nan:lol:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
anyone who enjoyed it(:nervous:), check out the red button interview with Armano Ianucci, brilliant stuff.

samabachan

Which comedy purveyors do you enjoy?
Bill Bailey, Daniel Kitson, Robin Williams, Ed Byrne and Dylan Moran can all be very funny. I'm sure there's more. Sean Lock, Eddie Izzard, even Jack Dee has his moments. I can't fecking stand Lee Evans though. Maybe that gives you an idea of what I like? Anyway. Oh and I also really like what I've seen of that really deadpan, frizzy haired mental comedian whose name I can't remember and that other mental American one who died of a drug overdose a couple of years ago (Mitch Hedberg?)

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Cheers.
Lee Evans is indeed a tool.
Perhaps you mean Ross Noble for the frizzy deadpan mentalist, another favourite of mine.
Not a fan of Ed Byrne or Jack Dee particularly. Sean Lock's 15 Storeys High was genius.
Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey are outstanding in Black Books imo.

samabachan

Cheers.
Lee Evans is indeed a tool.
Perhaps you mean Ross Noble for the frizzy deadpan mentalist, another favourite of mine.
Not a fan of Ed Byrne or Jack Dee particularly. Sean Lock's 15 Storeys High was genius.
Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey are outstanding in Black Books imo.
No, Noble's alright actually. Bit hit and miss for me but can be class. I'm talking about a man who practically defines monotone, he's a Yank and is just brilliant but unfortunately I have no idea of his name so can't link you to any of his work. Jack Dee I don't always like but i was absolutely pissing myself when I went to see him live so he gets a pass.

Diver

....and nobody likes a diver.
Watch Diver Shoots His Load In The General
No, Noble's alright actually. Bit hit and miss for me but can be class. I'm talking about a man who practically defines monotone, he's a Yank and is just brilliant but unfortunately I have no idea of his name so can't link you to any of his work. Jack Dee I don't always like but i was absolutely pissing myself when I went to see him live so he gets a pass.

Steven Wright?

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I've only recently given Stewart Lee a chance and I've ended up watching every episode of this on youtube. I'm surprised with the reception he's got in this thread because I think it's incredibly worthwhile comedy. The episode on toilet books where he dissected the literary works of Chris Moyles was inspired.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
This week's episode was outstanding.

I think you are all crazy.

Eriku

The bit about the funniest thing on television ever, topped off with his playful Newton closer were some of the funniest bits I've ever seen... EVER.

The man's a genius, and those who think the repetition is solely repetition have no appreciation of linguistic nuances at all :P

Really? I thought that was painful to watch. I'd far rather he'd just stuck the clip of Del Boy on repeat for 15 minutes even though he's right and it isn't, in fact, close to the funniest thing ever on TV. Still miles better than that stream of vomit coming out of his mouth.
Nutjob.

I'm more vehement than usual in this assertion... that's because Chris Morris is the script editor (I think? he holds some title in the credits) of this series of the Comedy Vehicle... And Morris is Mr Midas... with the humble exception of the IT Crowd, which still was way more hilarious due to his inclusion than without it.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
This week's episode was outstanding.

I think you are all crazy.
The thing about him is he's not really a belly laugh comedian, like a Peter Kay figure. I suppose that's why he doesn't really have a broad appeal. However I think he's just about the wittiest stand up I've ever seen; he's obviously very bright. I especially enjoy the way he laughs at how jokes are constructed and the standard format of stand-up, almost as if he's above making actual "jokes". "If you prefer a milder comedian" is his most recent stand up dvd and I can't recommend it highly enough.

decorativeed

I think he's great... but, although I'm also a big fan of Armando Iannucci, the faux interview bits in the new series are crap. They are a way of getting extra bits of Lee's stand-up material into the show but in a different (inferior) form. His recent DVD "If You Prefer a Milder Comedian" is brilliant.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think he's great... but, although I'm also a big fan of Armando Iannucci, the faux interview bits in the new series are crap. They are a way of getting extra bits of Lee's stand-up material into the show but in a different (inferior) form. His recent DVD "If You Prefer a Milder Comedian" is brilliant.
I disagree.

It looks as if it is being used as too push the stand-up persona into more and more of a corner. You get the feeling one of the all over the venue rants is on its way and that it will come around episode 5.

It's weird, instead of just throwing them in as extras or indeed just having them there it seems like it is trying to set a narrative for the series as well. I liked the way he left the one in the first episode to go help with his grandad's little problem to try and tie the stand-up persona to the stories.

Meh, I know what I mean in my own head, they work for me it's another nice dimension.

Anyone hear that He, Richard Herring and Go-Faster Stripe purchased the Fist Of Fun episodes ? A tour is supposed to support it HUZZAH !!

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
If you prefer a milder comedian was on comedy central the other night. Yer man in the audience was class "you're two stamps short of a coffee" :lol:

If you don't like Stewart Lee you probably find those young Russell comics funny.

decorativeed

Anyone hear that He, Richard Herring and Go-Faster Stripe purchased the Fist Of Fun episodes ? A tour is supposed to support it HUZZAH !!
That's great news. Hopefully the same will have happened for "This Mornig With Richard Not Judy". Watching them for free on Lee's website is great, but the quality is not, maybe a DVD release of those series will be on the cards?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
He's brilliant.

I've already seen 50% of the material for this series after catching the Vegetable Stew tour last year but it's still funny. I love the Ianucci interludes (nice to see the so and so's let himself go barrage in the last episode) and much prefer the single skit at the end rather than the format layed out in series one which for me, didn't flow as well.

I can understand that he won't be to everyones taste at all (I use to hate him myself until I saw the Stand UP Comedian dvd) but the way he deconstructs comedy makes 90% of other comedians acts seem rather mundane.

"Paddy McGuiness is coming.....to the Corn Exchange....with his joke".

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
That's great news. Hopefully the same will have happened for "This Mornig With Richard Not Judy". Watching them for free on Lee's website is great, but the quality is not, maybe a DVD release of those series will be on the cards?
I found the interview (it was a guardian one I think available on the Press section of this seasons comedy vehicle on his website)

It was a one off show rather than a tour that was being mooted. But it'll all be filmed and sold on again, anything that keeps those two on the road is fine with me.

They are filming extras for the DVD's and they should be released either late this year or early next year.

Eriku

The entire episode had me in stitches.

"He is a funny librarian... it's just that you'd have to have seen a lot of other librarians to appreciate what he's doing".

The best meta-comedy around. Then again, not many people dabble in that particular field... but yeah... Stew makes me want to be a comedian.

decorativeed

I've still got the Russell Brand's Wedding song in my head from a few weeks back. This week's had some of his best new stuff on it. The IRA/Al Qaeda bit in particular.