Joe Coll

narnar

Needs Help
Glazers signing cheap players with similar names to keep muppets happy?

Ferando Torrez anyone?

lysglimt

Scout
Glazers signing cheap players with similar names to keep muppets happy?

Ferando Torrez anyone?
We have also signed Liam Jacob - 6ft3 Australian keeper from Liverpool apparently. So now we have 3 goalkeepers who can all play for the U18's

Force of Nature

The day he was sign, a few months back, I happened to hear him on the afternoon show (I was just channel surfing honest) and he came across as a really nice and humble kid, he mention too that he was a lifelong United fan, may have played a part in picking us over the other clubs mention in the article.

SecondFig

Apparently he's left the club due to a lack of playing time (from Indepedent.ie);

Ireland prospect Coll quits Old Trafford

IRELAND U-17 international goalkeeper Joe Coll has quit Manchester United.

Coll, tipped by many to follow in the footsteps of fellow Donegal men Packie Bonner and Shay Given and become Ireland No 1, made the decision because he was not getting enough games.

United beat off a string of other clubs to sign Coll, who comes from Glenea in west Donegal, two years ago when he was just 16.

Coll, who still had a full year to go on his contract, said last night that he left the club on good terms.

"I asked to be released because I simply did not feel I was getting enough football. Manchester United are a big club and they have a lot of goalkeepers fighting for places.

"I asked if I was going to get more football and they said they couldn't guarantee me anything. I just decided there and then that I needed to move on if I am to develop my career.

"I have learned so much in the past two years and I couldn't say a bad word about the people at the club. I just thought I owed it to myself to try and fulfil the potential I think I have."

Coll hasn't found another club yet but he is hopeful of making the big breakthrough.

"I have nothing concrete but I'm sure I will be speaking to a number of people," he said.

- Stephen Maguire

Name Changed

weso26
He is very highly thought of within the Ireland youth system. Hopefully he finds a new club soon and carves a decent career for himself.

Member 39557

Interesting. At his age, I find it odd that he's not happy to be competing for places which surely would help him strive to improve? Hope it works out well for him, but in my opinion, he's a bit young to be getting on his bike for more football.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Interesting. At his age, I find it odd that he's not happy to be competing for places which surely would help him strive to improve? Hope it works out well for him, but in my opinion, he's a bit young to be getting on his bike for more football.
I don't know because I don't follow youth teams and reserves that much but I think he might've meant not getting time in any of these, not necessarily first team action.

PS18

Don't really blame him for moving, he was getting overlooked last season in favour of younger keepers (Sutherland, Gollini, O'Hara) and probably played more for the U16s than he did for the 18s. Need more games than he was getting if you want to develop and if - as he says - the coaches couldn't promise him those games, makes sense to move on.

Member 39557

I don't know because I don't follow youth teams and reserves that much but I think he might've meant not getting time in any of these, not necessarily first team action.
I wasn't referring to first team. I meant fighting for his place in whichever team he was being overlooked for. As I say, I wash the lad well, I just think he might have been better served to strive for improvement and compete for his place.

Heffo

I wasn't referring to first team. I meant fighting for his place in whichever team he was being overlooked for. As I say, I wash the lad well, I just think he might have been better served to strive for improvement and compete for his place.
Well as PS18 said he was already behind two younger goalkeepers at u-18 level last. Moving up to reserves next season could mean competing for playing time with whoever is our third 'keeper (either Amos or Johnstone I'd imagine) and even Lindegaard if De Gea has the number 1 position locked down and he needs some game time. Add to that we have three 'keepers in the u-18s next season some of them could be looking at some games for the reserves.

It's not like he would be competing for first team football by staying, he would be competing just to get a game in the reserves so I think it's understandable for him to want to leave.

Brophs

The One and Only
Does anyone know where he ended up? Last I heard he was on trial at Hearts, which can't be a happy place right now.