Jonny Evans to sign a new deal

Hellboy

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans will be handed a new five-year contract in January worth £50,000 a week.

The 20-year-old has made huge progress at Old Trafford since spending last season on loan at Sunderland and is now a reliable understudy to Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said last night: 'The boy has made massive improvement. For a centre half of just 20 to show the reading of the game he does is outstanding.'

Partizan Belgrade teenager Adem Ljajic says he will not be joining team-mate Zoran Tosic at United just yet, even though the pair had medicals at Old Trafford yesterday.

Tosic will join in January but Ljajic, 17, said: 'I will have a look around but I'm staying at Partizan at least until the end of the season.'

Daily Mail.

Happy days. ;)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Great news. Was never really in doubt but still always good to hear.

I'm sure he's delighted for the acknowledgement from Sir Alex as well as the new contract, he deserves it.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
£50,000 a week?

At twenty? :eek:

Fair play to the lad, but that is a crazy deal at that age.

Going to be a great defender for us though, has impressed me no end.

Brophs

The One and Only
If £50k a week is what it costs to get a lad like that to stay at the club, then so be it.

I'd rather see him get it than Pique, that's for sure.

prateik

he has a contract till 2011 ... a new contract now is obv for a pay rise ..
50k is a lot though ..
hope to see a lot more of him ..

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The Sun has it down as £20,00 per week, we'll have to wait and see how much it really is.

Cold_Boy

Surely we won't give him 5o k.

Even he wouldn't ask for that money himself.

20 k sounds about right.

Anyways great news .

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Forgetting the money for a minute though, this is excellent news for us, he's got a big, big future here and I for one am very happy.

SecondFig

20k is the figure I've seen everywhere, and that sounds a lot more likely than £50k at his age. Either way it's great to see him cementing his place at the club

Crerand Legend

20k in the days of the credit crunch would seem more realistic and a good move for both club and player,I love it when the home grown ones make it.I would say he would be fit to survive on 20k a week,tough as it will be

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
50k wouldn't be unreasonable. He plays a role in the squad at least as worthy as O'Shea's now who I believe is on 40-50. There's also the strong possibility he'll become a first team regular for many years to come so I'd be more than happy if he did that.

x42bn6

50k wouldn't be unreasonable. He plays a role in the squad at least as worthy as O'Shea's now who I believe is on 40-50. There's also the strong possibility he'll become a first team regular for many years to come so I'd be more than happy if he did that.
Agreed. In 4 years time, he's bound to be better as well; much better than 20,000 pounds per week, which means that in between these 4 years he might start bugging people for a new contract again.

prateik

the sun suggests he might be going out on loan in jan :rolleyes:
really cant see that happening ..

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Don't really care how much he is paid, it's his own and the club's perogative. Just glad he's signed and we have a potential world class defender in our ranks for the upcoming years.

Great news. This just confirms our faith in his ability. Evans is now an important member of the first team squad and his pay should reflect that. I have full confidence in his ability to play here for many years to come.

Chris H

Video Posting God
The Sun has it down as £20,00 per week, we'll have to wait and see how much it really is.
Or more likely we'll wait and not see, because the club never releases those details. In some cases every paper gets the amount exactly the same or close to it, in which case we assume that someone leaked it, and they're probably at least in the ballpark. But we'll never actually know, and in this case I doubt we'll ever get any confirmation.

Doubt he could be on £20k for the full five years though, seeing as by then he could likely be unchallenged first-choice central defender. If it's true then he has a really shitty agent, he should get Neville Neville to help him with the next contract.

Name Changed

weso26
Great news that he will be signing a contract. He looks like he has the qualities to be a top centre half for years to come.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Jonny Evans was able to verify that assessment of Rooney's competitive spirit. Less sure is the Northern Ireland international about his team-mate's ability to fill a central defensive role.

"Wayne is a nightmare," he said.

"He is always complaining and he always wants to win.

"His form has been great this season. He is playing through the middle now and is probably in his most favourite position.

"I don't think he can play centre-half though. All the lads try different positions. Berbatov did it yesterday. He was awful."

Unwittingly, Evans got both himself and his girlfriend drawn into a debate Fabio Capello triggered about Rooney a couple of weeks ago.

The England coach has claimed marriage has been a benefit to Rooney, something that would be manna from heaven for Ferguson, who has always espoused the settling effects having a wife can have.

Currently single Evans - and his girlfriend, who was part of the press conference having just begun a week's work placement with host broadcaster ITV - listened intently, until the focus changed and had the young defender squirming.

"I don't want to talk about it," he said.

"My girlfriend is sat there in the middle of you all."

Ferguson though was warming to his theme.

"Marriage helps footballers," said the Scot.

"It is good for the stability of a footballer to get married. They settle down. You know where they are."

And then, isolating his target: "Get him tied down dear. Rings are cheap now."

Evans was glad when the subject changed, with Ferguson confirming Park Ji-sung had been ruled out after picking up a virus.

Not that the South Korean's absence should cause United much trouble.

Wolfsburg are expected to be the Red Devils' main challengers for group supremacy, with strikers Grafite and Edin Dzeko a particular threat given the Germans' free-scoring ways.

Any foe from the Bundesliga needs to be respected. But in the end, Ferguson expects United to form part of another strong English challenge for a tournament they have dominated for the last three years.

"Real Madrid's signings in the summer have created a bit of a flutter in Spain and they are getting a bit excited over there again," he said.

"But I see no reason why the English clubs will not be there again
:lol:

Fergie the match maker.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
:lol:

You can tell he views Evans as a long term Manchester United defender! Hopefully his brother turns out just as well!

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Never mind the marriage contract though, did he ever sign a new contract with United?

mjs020294

50K is too much :eek:
I think its is on the low side when you consider its a five year deal. Chances are the lad will be a first choice starter within a year or two, and he plays plenty of games now. First team squad players at United like Park earn around 50k. Evans has the potential to be the backbone of our defense for 12+ years.

BTW - wasn't Wes Browns last deal around 70k?

Addis

Beckham, in toward Schmeichel, it's come for Dwigh
I think its is on the low side when you consider its a five year deal. Chances are the lad will be a first choice starter within a year or two, and he plays plenty of games now. First team squad players at United like Park earn around 50k. Evans has the potential to be the backbone of our defense for 12+ years.

BTW - wasn't Wes Browns last deal around 70k?
Read the thread fully.

Tibs

Fergie - The Marriage Fixer

How old is Fabio?