The Next Big Thing XI

Mister Jeebus

This thread is inspired by the Giuliano Maiorana one. I posted it in the newbs when I was there, so apologies to anyone that's seen it before.

For every potential star from the academy such as Petrucci, King, Will Keane, and Ra'vel Morrison, there are ghosts of the next-big-things past to counsel against premature expectations.

I've chosen a first XI and 7 subs using a few criteria:
1) They came through the United youth system.
2) They need to have been hyped as the next big thing.
3) Their career is over, or nearly over.
4) They failed to live up to expectations.

Goalkeeper:
This is possibly the weakest position on the team, as we haven’t to my memory produced any keepers that were ever really described as the next big thing. I’ve plumped for Kevin Pilkington here. Although he only played 6 underwhelming games for United, it is more impressive than the approximately 1 second of first team action Nick Culkin managed in 7 seasons! Pilkington’s promising reputation took a nosedive when he was at fault for both goals in the FA Cup 3rd round match in the 95/96 season against Sunderland. He made no appearances the following season, and his final two games for United were consecutive matches in the 97/98 season in a defeat of Everton, and a 3-2 loss to Coventry memorable for Darren Huckerby waltzing though half our team in the last minute to score the winner.
United appearances/seasons: 8/6
United highlight: Keeping a clean sheet in a Boxing Day win against Everton in 97/98.
Where is he now? Eventually made a respectable career in the lower leagues with Mansfield and Notts County. In a cruel twist of fate he has now been usurped at County, by none other than the son of the Great Dane he couldn’t hold a candle to at United. Released just this month but has since been signed by Luton where he spent a brief loan spell during the season.

Full Backs
A position where United seem to produce an endless chain of supposed next big things. Of the current crop the Da Silvas look quite likely to be the real deal, but how about De Laet, who some on the Caf reckon to be an even better defender? Or will any of the three go the way of Danny Simpson, Phil Bardsley, Jonathan Spector, or Richard Eckersley? Even these latter four are still relatively young, so I have gone for mid-nineties starlets.
At right back Michael Clegg wins his place ahead of the older John O’Kane by virtue of his 15 league appearances to the latter’s 2. Something of a Gary Neville clone in both build and playing style, the latter of these attributes subsequently proved that we certainly are more than the product of our genes, as his career total of less than 100 professional appearances attests to.
United appearances/seasons: 15/6
United highlight: Playing in the 3-2 victory at Anfield in the 99/00 season.
Where is he now? Retired from football aged just 27 to follow in his father’s footsteps as a strength and conditioning coach and is currently working with Sunderland. Incidentally, his father Mike is employed in the same role with United.

At left back there was only one possible choice, and despite his career trajectory thereafter this player will always hold a warm place in United fans’ hearts after his winning goal in the 1990 FA Cup Final replay against Palace. Lee Martin (the original) is the elder statesman, and thus captain, of this team, and in fact was 22 when he scored that memorable goal. He scored only one other goal for United and rarely featured for the club in the 4 seasons following the cup win. However, his 109 appearances are more than his cumulative appearances at any of his subsequent clubs.
United appearances/seasons: 109/6
United highlight: Like you need to ask!
Where is he now? Retired from professional football aged 30 in 1998, although later played semi-pro in the League of Wales. Currently working with young people offering career and training advice.

Centre Halves
At the moment we are blessed with centre halves, and of the current squad both Evans and Brown came through the youth system. We have also produced, and hilariously made a fast buck on, some awful dross in this position. Paul McShane I’m looking at you. Furthermore, it is the one position on the pitch where if a player appears mature at 15 he is immediately rated as a future England captain. Still, having a hairy chest before you can legally have sex does not necessarily make for a prolonged career at the top. And the first of our centre halves can testify to that. John Curtis was regularly described exactly as above – future England captain. However, commanding displays in the 1995 FA Youth Cup winning team, as well as in England underage sides, did not translate into first team form. He made 4 league starts, 9 league appearances in total, during his 3 years in the first team squad, but as is often the case with young centre halves these were primarily at full back. A £1.5m transfer to Blackburn followed in 2000, but 78 appearances in 3 years did not augur well for a stable career. A journeyman career ensued, joining Northampton Town last summer, amazingly his 12th professional club. Although he started brightly, with 21 appearances for the Cobblers in the first half of the season, including 18 starts in the Fourth Division, he fell out of favour and was released from Sixfields this summer. We’ll see if a recent training spell with Gold Coast United in the AFL leads to a contract offer.
United appearances/seasons: 19/5
United highlight: 3 of his 4 league starts were in the 97/98 season, two against Barnsley, and the other being that painful 1-0 loss at home to Arsenal that effectively handed them the title. Still, he did start in the 7-0 trouncing of Barnsley, and he can’t but have enjoyed that leisurely stroll.
Where is he now? After slumming it in the nether regions of the Football League he has since pitched up down under. Hopefully he settles in the AFL because with the amount of clubs he’s had he must surely be living in a caravan.

Curtis’ defensive partner in the centre is, coincidentally, his former colleague in the Youth Team and Reserves. Ronnie Wallwork was, along with Curtis, part of England’s 1997 World Youth Championship squad, alongside other promising players such as Matthew Upson, Jamie Carragher, Danny Murphy, Kieron Dyer, and Michael Owen. Wallwork had greater longevity at United than Curtis, in part perhaps because of his greater versatility, often playing as a defensive midfielder throughout his career. Nevertheless, he started a mere 4 league games in 7 seasons for the club, appearing from the bench a further 15 times. As an aside he also managed to get banned for life, reduced on appeal, for attacking a referee whilst on loan to Antwerp, and he was also stabbed in a nightclub during a loan spell at Barnsley. So if nothing else he at least enlivens a dull night out.
United appearances/seasons: 28/7
United highlight: Made enough appearances in the 01/02 season to qualify for a Premier League medal. That’s one more than Steven Gerrard. How do you like them apples!
Where is he now? Joined West Brom in 2002, playing 107 games for them in 6 seasons, but after more bad loans than Lehman Brothers eventually found himself at Sheffield Wednesday. He only played 7 times for Wednesday and was released in May 2008. Has been without a club since then, and is currently running a clothes business in Failsworth (sounds like a retirement village for this team).

Right Wing

Terry Cooke was a small tricky winger who showed a huge amount of promise in his first couple of games – including one sublime flick and subsequent cross in the build up to a Giggs goal against Bolton – but he failed to start in his 4 further years at the club. His sunken cheekbones and dark eyes meant he bore a startling experience to a malnourished smackhead. Appropriately he signed for City after a reasonable loan spell with them, but it transpired that was but a cunning ploy from Agent Cooke to embezzle large sums of money out of them.
United appearances/seasons: 8/5.
United highlight: His one and only league start on his debut at Old Trafford in a 3-0 defeat of Bolton in the 95/96 season. A close second is his solitary United goal in his only other start for the club in a 3-1 win against York in the League Cup (an aggregate 3-4 loss following an embarrassing 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford).
Where is he now? Surprisingly enough had been busy outshining his more illustrious former digs mate playing in the MLS with the Colorado Rapids since 2005. However – let me put on my Stetson and ill-fitting Levis here – he was waived in summer 2009 by the Rapids, and after a trial with the Seattle Sounders came to nothing he missed the September 15th roster freeze date. Which I think means his contract wasn’t renewed and he has missed their transfer deadline day. After failing to win a contract following a brief trial at Nottingham Forest, he was most recently found slumming it down under with Robbie Fowler (now at Perth Glory) at North Queensland Fury.

Left Wing
Initially I thought this was a tight call. The Belgrade born Swede Bojan Djordjic joined United’s youth structure from IF Brommapojkarna as a 17 year old. Despite winning young player of the year in his first year with the club Bojan only made a paltry 2 appearances for United. And surely Keith Gillespie must be a shoe-in for this role? But no, he was only going to make the bench (which incidentally has three wingers, with another three in the starting XI - best not to give up the day job) but we found room for him elsewhere. Possibly the first name down on this team sheet, Ben Thornley was widely considered to be a star in the making, rated as highly as Ryan Giggs by some, yet more aggressive as well as two-footed. He made his first team debut during the first double winning season before fellow youth team stars such as David Beckham and Paul Scholes. Unfortunately, his career was blighted by serious injury, including one knee-shattering tackle in an April ’94 reserve game that led to a subsequent civil lawsuit against Blackburn’s Nicky Marker. I’m pissing in the wind here but because I can’t find the court case listed I’ll presume it was settled out of court.
United appearances/seasons: 14/7
United highlight: Very little to choose from here. Probably his one and only league start for United at Middlesbrough in a 2-2 draw in the 96/97 season.
Where is he now? Last seen playing with Witton Albion alongside little brother (and current United and England masseur) Rod in the Unibond Premier League. His contract expired last summer and he was released along with most of the Albion squad after the club’s relegation.

Mister Jeebus

Central Midfield
Despite being blessed with a couple of gems in central midfield – ok Paul Scholes (a converted striker) and to a lesser extent Nicky Butt and Darren Fletcher, but you get my point – this is not an area of the pitch we seem to produce great quality. Simon Davies? Michael Appleton? Grant Brebner? Mark Wilson? Philip Mulryne? Michael Twiss? None, apart from arguably Mulryne after a hat-trick in one pre-season game – incidentally now training to be a priest – were ever considered real prospects for the United first team. Players like Kieran Richardson, Ritchie Jones, David Jones, and Chris Eagles are still too young to be considered for this team. So I’ve chosen two players of different vintages. The first was amongst the vanguard of Fergie’s nascent youth system, and no it’s not Darren Ferguson. Although he did fill in for an injured Robbo in the first 15 games of our first title winning season under his dad, he was never really considered the next big thing, and as such is not selected for this team. His teammate on the other hand, was very much considered a star in the making. Russell Beardsmore’s name is now a byword for overhyped mediocrity amongst older United fans, but they will also agree that he made quite an impressive start to his career. In only his second match for the club he played in a classic New Year’s Day encounter against reigning champions Liverpool, scoring the first and setting up Hughes and McClair for a 3-1 victory. He played a total of 30 games that season and 25 the next season, but fell out of favour quickly, his only 3 appearances in the 91/92 season coming in the Cup Winners’ Cup. Beardsmore left at the end of the first Premier League season, having failed to make a single appearance all season, joining Bournemouth where he spent the remainder of his career.
United appearances/seasons: 73/7
United highlight: Whilst he is top scorer in this team with a whopping 4 career goals for United, the undoubted highlight was his maestro performance in that classic game at Old Trafford.
Where is he now? Played a respectable 210 games in the Third Division for Bournemouth over a 5 year period, and is currently a coach at Dean Court.

I was going to select Jonathan Greening as Russell’s midfield partner, but he was actually 19 when he signed for United from York City, and had already played 30 first team games, so instead I have opted for a player that made his professional debut at United. Michael Stewart was a highly regarded defensive midfielder. He often featured on the bench, yet made a mere 14 appearances for United. Nevertheless, he won 3 caps for Scotland over a one month period aged just 21. Despite this early promise, his game never seemed to evolve, and after 6 years at the club, including a series of loan spells, he moved back to his home city of Edinburgh after a failed trial with Rangers. He signed for Hibs despite spending the previous season on loan to arch rivals, and his boyhood club, Hearts. As you do. Two seasons at Hibs were followed by a transfer back to Hearts. Why wind up one half of the city when you can do both. Played regularly at Tynecastle and was recalled to the Scotland squad after a 6 year absence in August 08, earning one more cap, but has failed to feature since. Stewart was dropped for the last few games of the season and had the club captaincy taken off him, likely playing a key part in his decision to leave and sign for Turkish mid-table club
Gençlerbirliği just this month.
United appearances/seasons: 14/6
United highlight: Hard to say. We seemed to lose a lot of matches he played in. Cause and effect can be discussed elsewhere. I’m going to choose his substitute appearance in Diego’s 2-1 win at Anfield because, well, because I can.
Where is he now? Made a decent career for himself at his boyhood club, it remains to be seen whether moving to the Turkish Süper Lig proves a wise decision.

Strikers
There is huge competition for the two striker’s spots, and not in a good way. Lots of unfulfilled potential mixed with an unhealthy dollop of hype. Kiko and Danny be warned. One that I was going to choose was Graeme Tomlinson, signed with a big reputation aged 18 in 1994 for the then not inconsiderable sum of £500,000. Another player to have a bad leg break that stilted his career, he isn't selected here by dint of playing in the first team for Bradford before joining United. A couple that were promising but nothing more than that include Alex Notman, Mads Timm (now retired aged just 24), Danny Webber, and Daniel Nardiello. David Johnson had undoubtedly the best career of this group but I don’t recall him ever being considered a star in the making at United (it wouldn’t be the first time I’m wrong though). Slightly more successful of the recent crop, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Fraizer Campbell are too young to be unconsidered unfulfilled potential. Yet.
I’ve had to use a little bit of creative licence with the formation, I’m playing a non-scoring right winger in the hole behind the main striker. It was either that or have David Healy in the team. Keith Gillespie would quite likely be rubbish in this position, but at one stage, although admittedly more because of his nationality, he was considered the new George Best. No pressure then. Nevertheless, he was mooted as a certainty for the United first team for years to come, and made an impressive goal scoring appearance from the bench against then table toppers Newcastle in the 94/95 season. This performance in particular ensured he was the makeweight in the deal that brought Andy Cole to Old Trafford that January. Fergie was loath to lose him but it was Keegan’s deal breaker. Gillespie only played 14 games for United, scoring twice. After a decent start to his career at the Comedy Club, followed by a non-descript five years at Blackburn, he floundered his way through the lower divisions, and can now be found plying his trade back home with Glentoran. He has two international goals to his name, one an absolute cracker against Austria in 1994, then bizarrely didn’t score again for his country for 11 years.
United appearances/seasons: 14/2
United highlight: Probably that goal scoring performance against Newcastle. His only other goal was against Bury in the FA Cup.
Where is he now? Joined Belfast club Glentoran last summer and started reasonably well for them, with four goals in 34 appearances helping the reigning champions to a third place finish.

Playing as the orthodox main striker is the only American in the team. Jovan Kirovski in fact became the first ever American to sign for United. This probably led to his hype, because if we were signing an American then he must be good? Right? Well, not entirely wrong, just not good enough for United. Bear in mind Kirovski earned 64 caps over a ten year period up to 2004 with the States, scoring 9 goals. However, his club career in Europe was distinctly unimpressive. Although scoring freely in the reserves, he never made the first team breakthrough because he failed to qualify for a work permit. He joined Borussia Dortmund in 1996, but played sparingly for them over 4 years. He did, however, play and score in their successful 96/97 Champions League campaign, entitling him to a winners’ medal. An unsuccessful season with Sporting Club de Portugal was followed by equally underwhelming spells back in England with Crystal Palace and Birmingham. Since 2004 he has been club hopping in the MLS, finding himself back with his former youth teammate at LA Galaxy since 2008.
United appearances/seasons: 0/3 (work permit problems prevented even a token appearance)
United highlight: Em, signing for them? (see above)
Where is he now? Still playing aged 34, had 2 goals and 1 assist to his name in 22 games for the Galaxy last season.

Mister Jeebus

The team in full:
----------------------1. Pilkington

2. Clegg-----4. Wallwork----- 5. Curtis----- 3. Martin (captain)

7. Cooke----6. Beardsmore-- 8. Stewart--- 11. Thornley

----------------------10. Gillespie

---------------------------9. Kirovski

Manager: Jimmy Davis (honorary role)

Substitutes:

12.Nick Culkin: Half of his 109 total club appearances were in 1 season at Bristol Rovers. Retired 4 years ago at the age of 27 due to injury.
13.Danny Higginbotham: Has probably had the best career out of anyone in this squad, currently enjoying the rustic delights of that charming little club Stoke. However, he didn’t score an FA Cup Final winner, so sorry Danny, but you’re on the bench.
14.Chris Casper: Fails to make the team because I didn’t want to break up the Curtis-Wallwork partnership, and just edges out Pat McGibbon. Highly promising youth, he captained the England youth team and played in the victorious Euro U19 Championship side in 1993. Still, he only managed 7 appearances in 5 years at United. Casper then played 46 times for Reading after joining them, but had his career cut tragically short after shattering his leg against Cardiff aged 24. Has moved onto coaching, and was the youngest manager in England before being sacked in 2008 after 3 years at the helm at Bury. Now assistant manager at Grimsby.
15.Luke Chadwick: He should arguably be in the team, but for, ahem, aesthetic reasons I have put him on the bench. 39 appearances and 2 goals makes his United career markedly better than many others here, but god eat a few sandwiches and go to an orthodontist at least. Last seen journey-manning (yes that is a verb) his way at MK Dons.
16.Bojan Djordjic: One of 5 players in the squad to win the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award; which in itself might suggest a poisoned chalice until you note other former winners include Ryan Giggs (twice), Paul Scholes, Phil Neville, Wes Brown (twice), and Giuseppe Rossi. Djordjic made a grand total of one League Cup start and one substitute appearance in the league in 6 years at United, and recently had the best of 3 distinctly underwhelming seasons with AIK in Sweden.
17.Giuliano Maiorana: A player included for no other reason than he sounded very exotic in the late 80s, despite being English. Another tricky winger who only started 2 First Division games, although one was a promising display in a 1-1 draw with Arsenal. He made 8 appearances in total for United but serious injury put paid to his football career and he was released by the club in 1994. Had a fleeting sojourn in the Swedish second division with Ljungskile SK before returning to lower league obscurity with Newmarket Town. Currently works in his family clothes shop in Histon.
18.Mark Robins: Included because we need a striker on the bench, although in truth he’s had quite a reasonable career, with over 100 goals in more than 400 games. However, he never fulfilled his initial promise as United first choice number 9. Played 69 games for United, with his 17 goals often scored off the bench. Most famous of these is the winner in the FA Cup 3rd round match with Forest that reputedly saved Fergie’s job. Played for 12 clubs after United, his best spell coming with Rotherham who he subsequently managed for 2 seasons, before leaving for Barnsley in September 2009.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
That's a good selection. I was expecting silly inclusions like Manucho or Dong who were never truly hyped up except by silly people. However your criteria also means I'm to young to properly contribute. I do remember Nevland scoring some goals in the League Cup and being very excited though, so maybe worth a mention. Also, although he wasn't exactly a youth, I thought Jordi Cruyff would be amazing, based solely on his surname and him having long hair. Both have had respectable careers though.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Kieran Richardson is another one. He played fairly regularly for a while and did show some potential. Remember he also scored a couple of goals for England. Don't know if he was ever rated as the next big thing but he was rated highly for a while.

Mister Jeebus

That's a good selection. I was expecting silly inclusions like Manucho or Dong who were never truly hyped up except by silly people. However your criteria also means I'm to young to properly contribute. I do remember Nevland scoring some goals in the League Cup and being very excited though, so maybe worth a mention. Also, although he wasn't exactly a youth, I thought Jordi Cruyff would be amazing, based solely on his surname and him having long hair. Both have had respectable careers though.
Actually I meant to include another criteria I chose, came through the United youth system!

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Ah that makes more sense then. I was also wondering why no Djemba Djemba and co. :D

For youth products there is also the mysterious Byland who I've only ever heard about on the Cafe.

decorativeed

Excellent post. I remember watching a lot of the players you've mentioned - Cooke, Kirovski, Clegg, Curtis etc playing for the reserves and I didn't half get carried away at the prospect of some of them going on to great things with the first team. Hence my being a bit more hesitant to do so with todays youngsters!

Mister Jeebus

Excellent post. I remember watching a lot of the players you've mentioned - Cooke, Kirovski, Clegg, Curtis etc playing for the reserves and I didn't half get carried away at the prospect of some of them going on to great things with the first team. Hence my being a bit more hesitant to do so with todays youngsters!
Ha, I was the exact same, any time some young lad came along - Cooke and Thornley especially - I thought he was going to be a superstar! I'm not sure is it acquired wisdom or cynicism that has me doubtful about young players nowadays.

Mister Jeebus

Kieran Richardson is another one. He played fairly regularly for a while and did show some potential. Remember he also scored a couple of goals for England. Don't know if he was ever rated as the next big thing but he was rated highly for a while.
I decided against including players that were still only halfway through their careers. He's still only 25 so plenty of time to make a good career for himself.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Of the names mentioned, I remember being disappointed when we let Robins, Kirovski and Gillespie go - I thought they would come back to haunt us, the rest I never really rated

Until very recently, Fergie had a great record in picking which youth players were worth keeping with very few exceptions.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Wallwork went to Boro and was descibed as one of the best free signings ever I recall. He was also West Broms player of the season, mad to think how fast he declined.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
Would be interesting to do this again in 10 years time!

UnitedRoadRed

Danny Webber, Erik Nevland, John Curtis, Brian Carey, Colin McKee, Wayne Heseltine, Darren Ferguson, David Johnson, Michael Appleton.

There's loads of them!

Northstand

Great OP, enjoyed reading that. Your point about Michael Clegg being a Gary Neville clone is an interesting one. I used to work with a guy who held the opinion that Neville based his whole career on determination and desire, rather than ability. I'm not sure if Clegg had the former qualities in sufficient quantity, but certainly Russell Beardsmore did, according to Fergie. So did the likes of these players fail because they did not quite possess the drive and determination required? Were they ultimately lacking in sufficient ability? How much is down to sheer luck in being presented with an opportunity at the right time?

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Thats the most enjoyable read I've had on here for ages..

Superb work

Mighty Boosh

Brilliant read mate, well done ! I remember getting pretty excited about Djordjic but it just never worked out for him at United

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Great work Jeebus. Really enjoyed reading that. Random and uninteresting factoid: I have it on good authority that Michael Clegg could bench press 140kg - not bad for a young footballer in a less strength and conditioning focused era.

I'm still a little bemused at how sharply some of those players declined. Gillespie was a very good talent when he put his mind to it. I seem to remember him setting up all 3 of Asprilla's goals in a CL match against Barca for Newcastle.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Remember you doing a similar thing in the newbies, quality read(again). Well done.

Northstand

Great work Jeebus. Really enjoyed reading that. Random and uninteresting factoid: I have it on good authority that Michael Clegg could bench press 140kg - not bad for a young footballer in a less strength and conditioning focused era.

I'm still a little bemused at how sharply some of those players declined. Gillespie was a very good talent when he put his mind to it. I seem to remember him setting up all 3 of Asprilla's goals in a CL match against Barca for Newcastle.
Bench press 140kg for a lad of about 11 stone? That's some going - he should be in Rugby League!

Mister Jeebus

It seems his dad did a lot of S&C work with him when he was younger, probably stuff the other young players weren't doing either, so he had a good strength base from an early age. It helped his dad get a job with United too!

Well, I’ve been a United fan since I was born and two of my sons, Michael and Stephen, were both players at the club as youngsters. We’ve had a family gym in Ashton-under-Lyne for 25 years so we’re all fitness fanatics! All of my five kids now coach or are involved in our gym. Michael is Sunderland’s fitness coach, while Stephen is working part-time at the club with me. The work I did with my two lads during their time at United actually helped me get the job here. They weren’t the most skilful players, but they were very powerful, strong guys. They were both small full-backs, so they needed that extra strength that I’d help them develop at the gym. The club recognised the work I'd done with them and [head physiotherapist] Rob Swire brought me in on an occasional basis from February 2000, before I joined as a permanent member of staff.
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={6DDFCB6E-3471-4E45-9385-F04D05F4A70D}&newsid=6635103&page=1

Cheers for the good feedback everyone by the way, much appreciated.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Bench press 140kg for a lad of about 11 stone? That's some going - he should be in Rugby League!
It seems his dad did a lot of S&C work with him when he was younger, probably stuff the other young players were doing too, so he had a good strength base from an early age. It helped his dad get a job with United too!
They're an absurdly strong and athletic family. The youngest son is a 17 year old weightlifter who could go all the way to the Olympics. 150kg clean and jerk at 75kg bodyweight, and he's improving all the time. One of the older sons is an absolute beast of a strongman competitor in the under-105kg class. At about 16 stone bodyweight I'm pretty sure he's pressed 200kg+ overhead and deadlifted 335kg.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
A few names from further back fall into the same category...

Cliff Birkett, Jeff Whitefoot, Noel McFarlane, Eddie Lewis, Mark Pearson, Alex Dawson, Nobby Lawton, Jimmy Nicholson, Willie Anderson, Carlo Sartori, Don Givens, Paul Bielby, Peter Coyne, Andy Ritchie, Alan Davies, Scott McGarvey

While Bobby Noble, John Fitzpatrick and one or two others had promising careers ended by serious injury.

deltakaye

I would go for Gary Walsh in goal, move John Curtis to right-back, Chris Casper at centre-back. I know that with the surfeit of highly-touted failed wingers we've had, you're trying to fit in as many of 'em as possible, but it's a bit of a stretch to have Beardsmore in central midfield. Maybe move Wallwork there, as he did play in that position for a spell at WBA. Upfront, how about Daniel Nardiello?

UnitedRoadRed

I would go for Gary Walsh in goal, move John Curtis to right-back, Chris Casper at centre-back. I know that with the surfeit of highly-touted failed wingers we've had, you're trying to fit in as many of 'em as possible, but it's a bit of a stretch to have Beardsmore in central midfield. Maybe move Wallwork there, as he did play in that position for a spell at WBA. Upfront, how about Daniel Nardiello?
Nobody ever rated Nardiello as the next big thing.

David Johnson maybe?

Mister Jeebus

Walsh was a better keeper alright, but I was just going for players under Fergie's time, probably should have pointed that out! Definitely too many wingers in the team but I'm pretty sure Beardsmore played in the centre a couple of times at least, and as such he was definitely more hyped than Wallwork say. I agree with UnitedRoadRed on Nardiello though, and arguably Johnson would have been a better choice. I kind of wanted to get Kirovski in there, however; I remember the fact that we had signed an American meant he had to be a bit special. Hindsight is 20:20 of course!

Mister Jeebus

Walsh was Fergie's time. He was with us for ten years until 95.
Oh I know that, but Atkinson signed him. You're starting to make me look like a pedant now, to be honest if we were kids and this was a game of football I'd pick up the ball and leave saying my ball my rules!

UnitedRoadRed

Oh I know that, but Atkinson signed him. You're starting to make me look like a pedant now, to be honest if we were kids and this was a game of football I'd pick up the ball and leave saying my ball my rules!
Fair enough, have Kirovski up front and put Pilkington or Culkin in goal. It was only a cheap flyaway anyway ya miserable cnut. :p