Wayne Rooney, in his United career...

Feed Me

I'm hungry
... has yet to complete an injury free season.

Don't let the 30+ goals this season deflect from the fact that he will have basically missed the most pivotal part of the season. The way we've clung in there has been exciting, but we'd have been top and possibly still in Europe but for his fecking ankle and groin.

:frustratedsmiley:

Dyslexic Untied

Pardon my ignorance if I am wrong, but his injuries seem to be unlucky as well.

Not a part of his body like Giggsys hamstrings or Hargreaves knees that trouble him time and again. More casual and not reaoccuring injuries IMO.

Two horrible sentences by me here, but what I mean is that there does not seem to be a pattern to his injuries?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Still he's a lot better when it comes to injuries than Fabregas or Van Persie. I really don't know how we would have performed this season if Fletcher had been out as long as Fabregas and if Rooney had been out as long as Van Persie.

I really doubt we'll ever get a full season from Rooney but agree that we would be top of the league and in Europe if had not been for his injuries. That sort of suggests the problem likes elsewhere in the squad. We shouldn't be in a situation where if someone gets injured for a few games the whole season goes tits up.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Still he's a lot better when it comes to injuries than Fabregas or Van Persie. I really don't know how we would have performed this season if Fletcher had been out as long as Fabregas and if Rooney had been out as long as Van Persie.

I really doubt we'll ever get a full season from Rooney but agree that we would be top of the league and in Europe if had not been for his injuries. That sort of suggests the problem likes elsewhere in the squad.
It's a massive source of frustration personally. We may still have gone out against Bayern - though I suspect with a fit Rooney, we'd have been rampant and steam rollered them.

But I'm sure we'd have produced more in those horribly limp matches against Chelsea and Blackburn.

Testament to the spirit in the side that we're still in the hunt - but Rooney's injury handed Chelsea the impetus. It will be a fine achievement if we win the league this season...

Treble

Rooney hasn't missed many games. The problem is that he wasn't (fully) fit for some of the most crucial games. Bad luck...

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?

I really doubt we'll ever get a full season from Rooney but agree that we would be top of the league and in Europe if had not been for his injuries. That sort of suggests the problem likes elsewhere in the squad.
The problem is not Rooney, but the backup when he is injured. Today we weree looking around to see who will supply some magic and I remember at some stage we had Roonie, Ronaldo and Tevez so we always had one of them that could bring the spark. Without Roonie and the exception of Nani, we dont have enough match-winners.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Rooney hasn't missed many games. The problem is that he wasn't (fully) fit for some of the most crucial games. Bad luck...
Yeah - he hasn't missed many this year, but his injury came at the pivotal point in our season - Chelsea/Bayern.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's a massive source of frustration personally. We may still have gone out against Bayern - though I suspect with a fit Rooney, we'd have been rampant and steam rollered them.

But I'm sure we'd have produced more in those horribly limp matches against Chelsea and Blackburn.

Testament to the spirit in the side that we're still in the hunt - but Rooney's injury handed Chelsea the impetus. It will be a fine achievement if we win the league this season...
We probably would have beaten Bayern if Rafael hadn't completely lost his head. Going down to ten men essentially cost us.

It's no coincidence that the midfield plays a lot better with Rooney in the side than without. He allows them more options and they can utilise his pace and movement effectively. I think we would have beaten Blackburn and given a Chelsea a more difficult ride than we did that assuming Rooney himself performed and didn't give one of those Everton performances.

Again we shouldn't be in the situation where Rooney missing gives someone else the impetus. Chelsea coped marvellously without Drogba and Arsenal did pretty damn good for a while without Van Persie (till they came up with their own defensive injuries).

Alex

Hasnt been much of an issue til this year, sans Ronnie

Bloxy

We probably would have beaten Bayern if Rafael hadn't completely lost his head. Going down to ten men essentially cost us.

It's no coincidence that the midfield plays a lot better with Rooney in the side than without. He allows them more options and they can utilise his pace and movement effectively. I think we would have beaten Blackburn and given a Chelsea a more difficult ride than we did that assuming Rooney himself performed and didn't give one of those Everton performances.

Again we shouldn't be in the situation where Rooney missing gives someone else the impetus. Chelsea coped marvellously without Drogba and Arsenal did pretty damn good for a while without Van Persie (till they came up with their own defensive injuries).
thats the point, we dont look dangerous without Roonie.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Good point kouroux about him being too good to drop. If we'd kept Tevez, Wayne almost certainly wouldn't have been riskilly played and insanely kept on against Bayern and would probably not be injured now.

Pardon my ignorance if I am wrong, but his injuries seem to be unlucky as well.

Not a part of his body like Giggsys hamstrings or Hargreaves knees that trouble him time and again. More casual and not reaoccuring injuries IMO.

Two horrible sentences by me here, but what I mean is that there does not seem to be a pattern to his injuries?
That's a much better scenario than something chronic and recurring though.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
im not sure any player would have an injury free season ?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The Bayern injury was just terrible lucky. Going over on the ankle like that was a freak really. Nothing to do with being injury prone.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The ankle injury wasn't a fatigue injury though... Just freakishly bad luck.
I mean, he should not have played the return leg against Bayern but he's so good than even partly injured he's still a better player than the rest of the attacking players and the proof when he was limping during the game, he was not subbed.
It tells you everything

Dyslexic Untied

Good point kouroux about him being too good to drop. If we'd kept Tevez, Wayne almost certainly wouldn't have been riskilly played and insanely kept on against Bayern and would probably not be injured now.

That's a much better scenario than something chronic and recurring though.
Obviously.

I meant that he is not a sicknote per se, but that he has been unlucky.

For example his multiple metearsal breaks. Not much you do about those.

Plechazunga

The Bayern injury was just terrible lucky. Going over on the ankle like that was a freak really. Nothing to do with being injury prone.
He didn't look fit, and he was targeted. And then we kept him on when he was clearly injured, nowt lucky about that, pure reckless stupidity.

Obviously.

I meant that he is not a sicknote per se, but that he has been unlucky.

For example his multiple metearsal breaks. Not much you do about those.
I see what you mean. I was starting to worry though that the metatarsal was a sign of some chronic weakness.

Dyslexic Untied

He didn't look fit, and he was targeted. And then we kept him on when he was clearly injured, nowt lucky about that, pure reckless stupidity.

I see what you mean. I was starting to worry though that the metatarsal was a sign of some chronic weakness.
I'm not even sure if that is possible, though I have no idea about medicine.

I remember we discussed it at the time, and many blamed the "new" thin skinned boots.

Others meant that metatarsal (I see I spelled that pretty wrong) breaks had been common for decades, only that it didn't have a fancy name back then, and was just called a break.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The problem many teams are facing, like United, like Arsenal and like Liverpool, is they all have a world class striker,(Torres, RVP and Rooney) and they all play with one up top. Meaning that any secondary striker would either have to play out wide (and massively suffer like Anelka, or Rooney last season) or be benched. How hard is it to have a fit back up who doesn't play. That is why Berbatov is massively impotant. Can play up top by himself and offer a good performance (today v probably the 4th best team this year, we were without Rooney and dominated). Berbatov can play with Rooney. Canplay with Owen. And doesn't whine about being benched. Massive player and better than N'Gog and Bentdner.

Plechazunga

He's not great alone up top. A shadow of the player he can be.

The simpler solution is to play fecking 4-4-2. We've got the wingers for it but Scholes is too old and we don't have a lion in there to carry him.

Bloxy

He's not great alone up top. A shadow of the player he can be.

The simpler solution is to play fecking 4-4-2. We've got the wingers for it but Scholes is too old and we don't have a lion in there to carry him.
agree, maybe with a fit Hargreaves and Fletcher\Anderson, then 442 could be used for nearly all the league games other than against the top 3 and in europe.

Plechazunga

I'd love to see Macheda get a run of games, too. He might just be the business, he's certainly got the United mentality.

Either Fletcher/Hargreaves alongside a new creative midfielder, or a 4-2-3-1 with Fletch/Hargreaves next to Carrick and Rooney in the hole, would be options.

VoetbalWizard

he's not a machine like ronaldo nor do I think he works in the gym on just pure fitness as much as ronaldo. Also he probably drinks more than ronaldo and smokes a fag now and then unlike ronaldo.

buckooo1978

we've contributed slightly to his problems by not resting him when necessary (due to our dependence on him) and rushing him back versus bayern.....

had we rested him against bayern who knows....might have been fine for blackburn