David Pleat: England have five world class players.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
And in his opinion they are:

Wayne Rooney
Ashley Cole
Joe Hart
Steven Gerrard
John Terry

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Hart isn't yet, Terry and Gerrard aren't any more.
Pretty much. Gerrard is having a nice run for England now but that doesn't mean he's becoming a world class player again.

Maybe he's worked out that he ought to save his best performances for England rather than Liverpool as he is more likely to play again in a major tournament internationally.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Only Cole and probably Rooney would get in the Earth squad to take on Mars.

Leg-End

I'm assuming hes only picking from the current England squad so to me thats Rooney and Cole.

At one point in time Gerrard was, Terry appears to have regressed somewhat and Hart will get there soon enough.

International tournaments are such a small sample size that you cannot judge players ultimate ability based on potentially 6 games, how many managers have dropped a bollock by signing players after fantastic International tournaments? Many, lots, loads.

Jonno

I dont see why Hart isn't considered a world class goalkeeper? I think he is in the top 3 goalkeepers that went to the Euro's.

kietotheworld

Gerrard and Terry certainly aren't world class any more, Gerrard in particular hasn't been consistently top drawer for years.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ashley Cole is probably the most overated athlete in the history of sport.

I see 3 years of poor form stil isn't enough for people to stop rating him as better than he was even when he was playing well.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If you ever asked yourself what the problem with English football is these days, just look at statements like that

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
If these 5 players were world class England's performances would be much better no? That's half a team we're speaking about here.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
If the criteria is being in the 22 from planet Earth to face Mars, I'd say only Cole has a decent chance of making the cut. I'm not sure I'd even take Rooney. (Although he's a better player than Cole, there's a lack of good LB's while strikers and playmakers are everywhere).

My interpretation of the term is slightly different. I'd say Cole, Hart and Rooney qualifies as world class as of now. Gerrard/Terry are both well past their best, even if Gerrard has delivered some quality balls into the box in the Euros.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If you ever asked yourself what the problem with English football is these days, just look at statements like that
THe problem with English football these days is that not everyone thinks Ashley Cole is world class based on him being quite good once upon a time?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If the criteria is being in the 22 from planet Earth to face Mars, I'd say only Cole has a decent chance of making the cut. I'm not sure I'd even take Rooney. (Although he's a better player than Cole, there's a lack of good LB's while strikers and playmakers are everywhere).
Cole isn't even one of the the two best currently performing LBs at the Euros.

I really don't understand the Cole hype. He's not played anywhere near his best for 3 years, and his best still wasn't nearly as good as people seem to think he still is now.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Cole has barely put a foot wrong in the tounament to be fair

But obviously Coentrao has stood out as best LB so far

marjen

THe problem with English football these days is that not everyone thinks Ashley Cole is world class based on him being quite good once upon a time?
I'm firmly in the "Cole is overrated"-camp, noodles.

But hear me out. He's had some magnificent performances after the oldies at Chelsea became arsed and decided to win the Champions League,arguably being their best performer alongside Ramires and Drogba.

And how many world class LB's are there? Lahm, I'll grant you, but he normally plays on the right for Bayern.

So that leaves you with the likes of Alaba, Evra, Coentrao, Marcelo, Abidal(though it's fair to say there are uncertainties about his future) and Clichy. Are Cole really inferior to any of those? Bar Marcelo, I can't see it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't think Hart either. At least not yet. There's about 8 goalkeepers who are apparently the "best goalkeeper in the world", and Hart's probably the least proven and experienced of those.

In fact I'd only say Rooney, and even he's overshadowed by players like Ronaldo and Messi, but talent wise he's easily the best England have.

England fans will still be lazily stating that Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world when he's 50 years old (mental age 8), and tucking so far inside positionally he's actually playing at right back.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Cole is one of the best left backs in the World, therefore he is world class.

But for me over the last 2 seasons Marcello is number 1

Hectic

Supports
30fps
There are much better players than Cole in his position.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Cole has barely put a foot wrong in the tounament to be fair

But obviously Coentrao has stood out as best LB so far

Coentrao's been very good. Lahm's been even better (again).

Cole's been quite average. He was causing England a lot of problems with his positioning against Ukraine. Young had to spend a lot of time covering for him while he did nothing of note to compensate.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

Cole's been quite average. He was causing England a lot of problems with his positioning against Ukraine. Young had to spend a lot of time covering for him while he did nothing of note to compensate.
I always consider Lahm to be an RB, but yes he has been outstanding too

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Lahm, Marcello, then if you want to compare in this tournament, I'd say Coentrao (And I think he's going to be much better anyway). I know I'll probably get slated for saying Marcello, but I prefer him. Maybe I don't rate Cole as high, and that's just me, but I'd have a player like Lahm all day over Cole.

mightberight

Of course Gerrard is world class. He's been riddled with injuries over the last couple of seasons, but he's pretty much dragged this England team into the quarter finals. There isn't a player in the world like him I'm afraid to say; maybe a bit of Yaya Toure in the way he can drive up the pitch as well as putting a foot in, but he can't rake those long balls as well as Gerrard.

Aside from that, Rooney and Cole. Hart's mouth doesn't quite back up his ability yet, though there's a big chance of him doing so. I'm not too sure about Terry anymore, he's put in some horrific performances for Chelsea at the backend of last season, but done well in the Euros so far.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Lahm, Marcello, then if you want to compare in this tournament, I'd say Coentrao (And I think he's going to be much better anyway). I know I'll probably get slated for saying Marcello, but I prefer him. Maybe I don't rate Cole as high, and that's just me, but I'd have a player like Lahm all day over Cole.
Me too, and also Marcello for me is the best. I think he is brilliant.

But I would still consider Cole to be up there with the best in the world.

marjen

I actually thought Young was caught napping while Husiev pushed high up the pitch from RB, the first couple of minutes. Then England adjusted.

Their right winger, Yarmolenko, tucked in and let the full back run past him. So Cole tucked in slightly, and let Young handle the full-back, while covering.

How many clear cut chances did Ukraine create vs England then? A couple of shots from range, and a Terry-blunder, no? I'd say England defended quite well.

As for Coentrao, he's a magnificent attacking full back. Or rather, he's magnificent at attacking from full back. Now, there's a guy who couldn't defend his sand castle from a couple of mini-crabs.

As for Lahm, I'll give you that he's a fantastic full back, but he usually plays on the right for Bayern.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I heard Pleat have that discussion live, and he backtracked like a complete bitch.

Originally he actually said that England had 5 world class players that would walk into any team in the world. He later had to say that they could get into most countries, and certainly not at the same time.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Me too, and also Marcello for me is the best. I think he is brilliant.

But I would still consider Cole to be up there with the best in the world.
That's fair, he is, but I still think that for those who are better than him, they are considerably so. Still, Cole will still probably be considered the best LB in the world, 150 years after his death.

marjen

But okay, ignoring Cole, my point was still that I'm not entirely sure that England would have any of those five in the 22 to face Mars.

Not even Rooney would be safe if that's the criteria.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
But okay, ignoring Cole, my point was still that I'm not entirely sure that England would have any of those five in the 22 to face Mars.

Not even Rooney would be safe if that's the criteria.
Well if you bring 4-5 strikers in a squad of 23 who would you pick