The Safe Standing Campaign

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The Football Supporters' Federation - Safe Standing Campaign

The FSF's Safe Standing Campaign is supported by the Safe Standing Roadshow and Stand Up Sit Down.

AIMS: To persuade the Government, football authorities and football clubs to accept the case for introducing, on a trial basis, limited sections of standing areas at selected grounds in the stadiums of Premier League and Championship football clubs.

The FSF needs all fans to help. What can you do?

Step 1 - Sign the FSF's Safe Standing Petition: http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safestanding.php
Step 2 - Email your MP from this link, or visit their office, and ask them to sign Roger Godsiff’s Safe Standing EDM 573...
Step 3 - Let us know what response you get via safestanding@fsf.org.uk. We want to see which MPs sign the EDM and will follow up those who don’t.
Step 4 - Spread the word. Send this page to your mates via email, Facebook, Twitter or whatever other social media the cool kids use nowadays. If you’re involved with a supporters’ organisation, fanzine or website use your links to promote this page.

Want to do more? Contact the FSF. In the coming weeks we expect to see a great deal more activity and need volunteers who are willing to commit time and fight for the cause. Email: safestanding@fsf.org.uk

Liam147

On Probation
Good idea to start the thread Rood. Emailed an MP a while ago, never heard anything. That video I thought was excellent by the way, it just looks so much better than it is now. When RVP scored on Saturday, I was holding onto to the guy next me whilst jumping about (anyone who's been in NT3 would know that jumping there can be a rather worrying moment). Just having a railbar in front of me would have been so much better. It'd have in instant impact on stadiums.

Did a few quick calculations based on that video, and, although the difference at OT would be different, I've got an estimate.

He said that 3000 seats turned into 5700, which is a 62% increase. If you apply that to the current Stretford End capacity, you turn 16,551 into ~26,812.

Let's say they charge an average £35 a ticket. They get £579,285 income from the Stretty. But say we had a capacity of 26,812, they could charge an average £22 and make £589,864. Imagine that, charging £22 a ticket to be in an all-standing Stretford End.

Higher attendance, better atmosphere, cheaper tickets, better atmosphere.

Why is this not a no brainer?

steeeb

Good idea to start the thread Rood. Emailed an MP a while ago, never heard anything. That video I thought was excellent by the way, it just looks so much better than it is now. When RVP scored on Saturday, I was holding onto to the guy next me whilst jumping about (anyone who's been in NT3 would know that jumping there can be a rather worrying moment). Just having a railbar in front of me would have been so much better. It'd have in instant impact on stadiums.

Did a few quick calculations based on that video, and, although the difference at OT would be different, I've got an estimate.

He said that 3000 seats turned into 5700, which is a 62% increase. If you apply that to the current Stretford End capacity, you turn 16,551 into ~26,812.

Let's say they charge an average £35 a ticket. They get £579,285 income from the Stretty. But say we had a capacity of 26,812, they could charge an average £22 and make £589,864. Imagine that, charging £22 a ticket to be in an all-standing Stretford End.

No-one really wants to be the guy who says yes. In the past, bad things have happened. Even though everything has come out about Hillsborough, a lot of people still associate standing with hoolaganism. It'll create a better atmosphere, but would it also cause more issues? What if something was to happen after the go-ahead was given?

I think it is perfectly safe - and in the case of sections that stand already, it is safer. But the above are questions that the government, those at the FA and some clubs would ask themselves. And is the reason it is not an no-brainer.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
It should be a no brainer, but I'd say memories of Hillsborough and Heysel are huge stumbling blocks. Health and safety, as you know, has gone mad these days.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

The main stumbling block is that there is currently little political will to make this happen and it would actually need a law change as standing was outlawed after Hillsborough.
The Lib Dems did actually say they would try and do something about but not much has happened since then:
https://www.redcafe.net/f7/lib-dems-call-return-safe-standing-terraces-293661/

Also it will cost clubs money to redevelop a stand so not all will be up for it, but there does seem to be more and more clubs getting on board:
"Burnley and Watford are the latest clubs to back the Football Supporters’ Federation’s Safe Standing Campaign. They follow hot on the heels of Aston Villa, Brentford, Bristol City, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Hull City, Peterborough United, AFC Wimbledon and the Scottish Premier League..."

It should be a no brainer, but I'd say memories of Hillsborough and Heysel are huge stumbling blocks. Health and safety, as you know, has gone mad these days.
The vital point that needs to be understood is that 'safe standing' is a world away from the type of terracing that created h&s issues in the past - watch the video for more information.

Signed, but as not a citizen can't email an MP.

Will this ever happen?
Well the more people that sign the petition and email their MP, the more likely is it to at least become an issue for debate at a political level.

misterredmist

I have signed, and despite the success of the system in the Bundesliga,I just can't see it happening within a generation here at least due to the sensitivities involved with Hillsbrough, which I can fully understand......

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Safe Standing: Mythbuster

Talk about safe standing for long enough and, sooner or later, someone will tell you why they think it shouldn't happen. This will almost inevitably be based on misunderstanding, miscomprehension or even total myth - not all fans are familiar with the arguments for safe standing. Knowledge is power, educate yourself in the arguments and you can win your fellow fans over.

Myth: “Standing is unsafe.” Not true.

The FSF does not propose that the stringent safety standards laid down in the Government’s Green Guide be abolished or weakened. But we do think fans in the Premier League or Championship should also be allowed to stand in safety as those in any other division can - the idea that safety depends upon the quality of football played on the pitch is absurd. Many opponents to safe standing mistakenly cite Hillsborough as a reason not to allow its introduction. However the disaster was not caused by standing; the Taylor Report primarily blamed overcrowding, stadium layout, and poor policing. Safe standing areas exist, perfectly safely, in Germany, the USA, and Canada - countries which treat safety with the same respect it is given in the UK.

Myth: “There's no appetite from fans for standing areas and it's unfair on those who wish to sit.” Not true.

Every week thousands upon thousands of fans stand in front of their seats for the duration of the game while following the team they love - attempts by the authorities to end this practise have failed. Surveys regularly show the vast majority of supporters back the choice to stand or sit. The FSF’s National Supporters’ Survey (completed by 1000s of fans) showed that 90% of fans back the choice to stand or sit. This is not just about those who prefer to stand. By giving supporters the choice, everyone benefits. Those who wish to stand can do so, while those who prefer to sit no longer have to worry about having their view blocked.

Myth - “Statistics show that standing areas are less safe than seated ones.” Not true.

The Football Licensing Authority (FLA) collects statistics which give numbers of injuries for each ground and the type of injury. The injury rates are very low and, although they show a slightly higher rate in grounds which retain standing accommodation, they do not differentiate where the injury occurred (seats, standing area, concourse etc). Nor do they correlate that area with the type of injury (wasp stings, for example, are not related to standing/seating) or take into account other factors such as the age of the stand. The latter point is relevant as many all-seated stands are much newer than the remaining standing areas and a fair comparison with new safe standing areas cannot be made. Although it has previously been claimed that the figures demonstrated that seated areas are safer than standing areas, there is now general agreement that the statistical analysis is not detailed enough to reach that conclusion.

Myth: “The risk of hooliganism – crowd behaviour is more difficult to manage in standing areas.” Where is the evidence for this?

It’s entirely speculative, anecdotal, and the FSF strongly disputes it. The Green Guide shows that standing can and does provide a safe and controlled environment for fans to stand every week at football matches up and down the country in Leagues One, Two, and beyond. Match-going fans also know that much tension at football stems from the efforts of stewards to force fans to sit down – this creates an “us against them” mentality. Rather than fan these flames why don’t the authorities acknowledge the current legislation is failing and back our campaign to give all supporters the choice to stand or sit? This would benefit all parties as, at present, many fans who prefer to sit find their views blocked by those who prefer to stand.

Furthermore with certain models of safe standing, such as rail seating (see top left), it is possible identify a person by their location using CCTV/ticket information in exactly the same way that police can currently. The larger clearways associated with standing areas actually make access easier for police and/or emergency services. Privately many Safety Advisory Groups (the council-formed bodies which polices football’s safety legislation) have told the FSF that the introduction of safe standing areas would actually make their lives much easier.

Myth: “Designs used in Germany would, in the UK, require substantial investment by clubs or even rebuilding of entire stands.” Issues around cost and feasibility should be a matter for individual clubs, not for government.

Football clubs are businesses and should be allowed to spend money as they see fit. We think there’s a demand from fans (or customers, if you will) for safe standing areas and that should be a matter for individual clubs rather than government legislation. Since government last reviewed this in 2001 many brand new stadiums have cropped up around the country which could quite easily (and cheaply) have accommodated areas of rail seats. On average 1.8 times as many supporters can fit into these areas as traditional seated areas meaning, after an initial outlay, these areas can rapidly pay for themselves via ongoing ticket sales.

Myth: “Clubs who have built new grounds lower down the leagues have chosen not to incorporate safe standing areas.” Misleading and not always true.

Many lower-league clubs became all-seated as a result of receiving funding from the Football Foundation which stipulates all-seated stadiums as a condition of their financial assistance. It is misleading to suggest that clubs have chosen this route because they believe sitting is a better model than standing. Morecambe and Gateshead are two examples who have recently elected to forego Football Foundation money to retain standing areas. Many more would like to reintroduce them because of the benefits they bring to social inclusion (through lower ticket prices), sustainability (greater total numbers of fans able to attend) and atmosphere. As businesses clubs want to keep their customers happy and many customers want to be able to stand at games.

Myth: “UEFA won't allow it.” Not true.

UEFA regulations state that European competitions must be played in all-seated stadiums. Rail seats (as pictured top left of this article) can be converted to and from seating, so this is not an obstacle to clubs providing standing accommodation for domestic games and all-seated accommodation for European games. Many German clubs do this.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So what's the difference between standing and safe standing?

I think I'm all for it, but the media will be watching it with an eagle eye for any problems and they'll already be researching who to blame should something go wrong the minute it goes through.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Safe Standing: 13 clubs back pilot scheme
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20679867

Thirteen English league clubs support re-introducing standing at football grounds, according to a fans' group.

On Tuesday, the Football Supporters' Federation is hoping to win the backing of MPs for its plans for a small-scale trial at Premier League clubs.

It believes the pilot scheme would show standing - outlawed after the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 - is now a safe way to watch football.

The Premier League has previously said it opposed the idea.

FSF's Peter Daykin said: "We need to find out if it can work and the only way to do that is to trial it."

All-seater stadiums have been compulsory in the Premier League since 1994, following Lord Justice Taylor's report after the Hillsborough disaster.

But MP Roger Godsiff has tabled an Early Day Motion calling for government approval of a pilot scheme.

The FSF says the idea has the support of Aston Villa and the Scottish Premier League plus 12 Football League clubs, including Peterborough United, Cardiff City, Crystal Palace, Derby County and Hull City.

The proposal is to introduce a design of "rail seat" currently used in some European countries such as Germany. This incorporates a safety barrier and a flip-down seat on every other row. The seats can be locked in an upright position, meaning two rows of supporters can stand in between the barriers, which reduces the danger of a crush.

This type of standing area would also be able to be converted to seating for European competitions, where all-seater stadiums are required.

A panel of industry experts containing Villa's chief executive Paul Faulkner and West Midlands Police Force Superintendent Steve Graham will present a case for allowing standing at matches at Portcullis House in Westminster on Tuesday.

FSF's safe standing co-ordinator Daykin told BBC Sport: "The debate about standing has reached a point where both sides are entrenched.

"The bottom line is things have changed dramatically since 23 years ago when the Taylor Report was produced.

"Things have moved on massively in terms of technology and know-how around safety in football grounds.

"So, what we are calling for is a number of small-scale trials at Premier League clubs up and down the country.

"Then experts, safety officers and the police can see how it works in a modern context.

"We have had 50 MPs sign up to Roger Godsiff's EDM and correspondence showing support from more MPs unable to sign an EDM for technical reasons."

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said on Monday that clubs might have to introduce netting around pitches to protect players.

Taylor was speaking after Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand was hit by an object as his side celebrated the winning goal against Manchester City on Sunday.​

hp88

Was expecting more than one Premier League club to back the campaign, at least it's a step in the right direction.

eric le roi

The campaign for the introduction of safe-standing areas has already met with some opposition from the chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group.
"There are 96 reasons why it should not be allowed," said Margaret Aspinall, whose son died at Hillsborough.
"Standing should never, ever come back. I do not think there is anything safe about standing.
"I feel insulted that people are trying to fight for justice for Hillsborough while this campaign is growing."

The reason those 96 people died wasn't because it was standing only, it was because the terraces were caged in and grossly overcrowded.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, Justice for Hillsborough has nothing to do with this issue - that campaign is all about exposing the lies from the police, government and press, nothing to do with standing being inherently unsafe.

steeeb

To be fair, when everyone is standing and there is a goal it's pretty unsafe - ending up nowhere near your seat isn't unheard of, especially at a big game away.

It's surprising there hasn't been an issue so far to be honest.

Safe standing would be far safer for those that are currently standing. I'm not sure how all these Hillsborough people aren't all for it, unless they clearly don't go to games or anything.

The seats are very safe as long as everyone is sitting and not jumping around, they're pretty dangerous otherwise - although you can't really fall far or get crushed, so there'd never be any major issues, like.

Liam147

On Probation
Was expecting more than one Premier League club to back the campaign, at least it's a step in the right direction.
Pretty much my views on it. It is a start.
The campaign for the introduction of safe-standing areas has already met with some opposition from the chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group.
"There are 96 reasons why it should not be allowed," said Margaret Aspinall, whose son died at Hillsborough.
"Standing should never, ever come back. I do not think there is anything safe about standing.

"I feel insulted that people are trying to fight for justice for Hillsborough while this campaign is growing."

The reason those 96 people died wasn't because it was standing only, it was because the terraces were caged in and grossly overcrowded.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, Justice for Hillsborough has nothing to do with this issue - that campaign is all about exposing the lies from the police, government and press, nothing to do with standing being inherently unsafe.
Infuriatingly ignorant. It would be the Liverpool bunch against it wouldn't it? We're all sympathetic about what happened, but saying that it was just because of standing, or that standing's never safe is stupid. When I'm at OT, I realise that standing in the Stretty is so much less safe without bars, standing at Blackburn was the same, and it's the same everywhere in the country where you stand.

"But you shouldn't be standing at all!"

Okay then, when my team scores a 90th minute winner, I'll just sit and clap politely.

These people don't understand football, and anyone saying this should not be introduced is misinformed.

I was watching the game on Sunday on a pub, like many others, and when that winner went in, I went berserk. I wasn't stood jumping in one place, I ran to the front of the pub, and carried on celebrating over there. When a moment like that happens, you lose self control, and when you've got 12 inches of plastic in front to prevent that happening, things are unsafe. When a goals goes in, you'll often find yourself looking for something to grab hold of, and a big metal bar four feet off the ground would be ideal. Safe standing needs to be brought in sooner rather than later.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

You can understand why it is a sensitive issue and it needs to be handled as such but they need to take a more balanced approach to it.

As you said, there are many other reasons why and "standing" isn't really one of them.

If there no cages and a safe amount of people in the area, with the correct overflow points then Hillsborough would never have happened despite people standing in the terraces.

I'm always right

How is she the chair for this group when she seems to have no idea what it is they've been fighting for all this time?

A proper "doh" moment from her.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Pretty much a publicity stunt from a few of the clubs in my opinion but refreshing nonetheless.

RK

I stand up all game in ST2 (which is unlikely to be stopped) and it'd be far safer if we introduced safe standing instead of the current all-seating.

I'm always right

It's just weird that they've (the families) argued for so many years that the problem that day was the authorities, and yet here she is in 2012 blaming standing... fecking bizarre!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I just don't get these people citing the Hillsborough disaster as a reason against safe standing. The major reason for that was too many people in too small an area. If you have ticketed fans going through a turnstile then no more than the design capacity can enter. No reason why it should be at all unsafe if done properly.

Tomalonge

There should be a chant for every clubs fans to show support vocally. If it's every game then surely they'd have to hear it eventually.

Something like "Sit down, if you wanna stand, sit down, if you wanna stand." Because let's face it, it'd have to be ironic. (To the tune of "Stand up, if you hate the scouse", other variants are available.)

hp88

There's only a small number of people who are using Hillsborough as an excuse for not having safe standing, there's a similar thread over on RAWK and the majority or them want it at Anfield. I can't understand why some people after seeing it deployed in Germany are still against the idea, it's going to be optional so If you prefer to sit down during the game then move to another part of the stadium, it's not like they're converting the entire stadium.

Liam147

On Probation
There's only a small number of people who are using Hillsborough as an excuse for not having safe standing, there's a similar thread over on RAWK and the majority or them want it at Anfield. I can't understand why some people after seeing it deployed in Germany are still against the idea, it's going to be optional so If you prefer to sit down during the game then move to another part of the stadium, it's not like they're converting the entire stadium.
Sadly, these are fairly influential people - politicians, Aspinall et al, and they have a louder voice than you or I do.

On the other hand, it's great to see that Liverpool fans are behind it. Obviously there'll be a few narrow-minded, emotionally-charged people, but hopefully the majority will see sense, and of all sets of fans, I'd imagine they've a louder voice than anyone else.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Poll on the Rangers forum where 88% favour safe standing at Ibrox.

It's a pity there's so much hysteria whenever the issue gets raised, little wonder very few politicians are getting involved given the negative reaction from the uninformed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sadly, these are fairly influential people - politicians, Aspinall et al, and they have a louder voice than you or I do.

On the other hand, it's great to see that Liverpool fans are behind it. Obviously there'll be a few narrow-minded, emotionally-charged people, but hopefully the majority will see sense, and of all sets of fans, I'd imagine they've a louder voice than anyone else.
I guess the worry is that without people having seats, and having a designated square metre or so that it can be relatively difficult to leave. It makes it a lot easier for a mob mentality, for people to freely move in groups and for people to constantly be pushing to get to the front.

I know there are practical measures and the danger really isn't there with no overcrowding due to modern tickets and turnstiles and no fence but from their point of view with that influence they have, comes responsibility. It's not us that people will be point the finger at if, god forbid it, something terrible did happen.

What you also have to remember is that shit happens now in fully seated Grade A FIFA and UEFA classed stadiums, can you imagine the media and how they would spin the stories with everything that happens if Safe Standing was introduced?

I should add that I am for safe standing, I'm just playing devils advocate so we can perhaps appreciate why they are not all putting their names behind it.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Exactly Pexbo. If those incidents at City came from an experimental standing area then it would get the blame. Stupid but true.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
The thing I don't understand is the one major (if not only one) incident responsible for the outlawing of standing has now been subject to a report which essentially completely absolves the fans of any responsibility.

In all the years we had it, all the years Germany have had it, has there actually been anything to warrant it being outlawed?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Poll on the Rangers forum where 88% favour safe standing at Ibrox.

It's a pity there's so much hysteria whenever the issue gets raised, little wonder very few politicians are getting involved given the negative reaction from the uninformed.
There does actually seem to be some political support now, as a result of this campaign and fans signing the petition etc, 50 MPs have already signed the original EDM which proposes a trial of the latest safe standing ideas.

However, the kind of crowd trouble seen at the derby last week does not help the cause - whether it is right or not, standing is often assocaited with an increase in that kind of behaviour.

Baxter

Exactly Pexbo. If those incidents at City came from an experimental standing area then it would get the blame. Stupid but true.
That's the only real downside I think. It may not be to blame for incidents that could occur, but of there is a section of fans standing and something is thrown then it could make it more difficult to identify the fan who did it. However, I am all for it, and the main problems with Hillsborough were not caused by standing. Overcrowding and caging was.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Exclusive: Championship clubs set to push for safe-standing trials
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-to-push-for-safestanding-trials-8626274.html

The Football League is facing mounting pressure to back trials for safe standing after an overwhelming majority of Championship clubs went against the League's stance and voted in favour of permitting trials at a meeting earlier this season.

Standing is banned in the top two divisions in England but a significant number of clubs in the Championship and a growing number in the Premier League support allowing a return to limited terracing if trials are successful. The Premier League and the Football League remain steadfastly opposed but the Football League's position is being potentially undermined by its own members.

A motion supporting safe-standing trials could be included on the agenda at next month's meeting of all 72 Football League club chairmen and, if it is, its supporters are increasingly confident it will be passed. In that case, member clubs would expect the League to lobby for the necessary change in the law. The Government has an "open mind" over the issue but is still a distance from being won round.

At a meeting of Championship clubs in Leicester in February, 21 of the 22 chief executives present voted in favour of a motion proposing the Football League "encourage and support the instigation of a rail seat/safe-standing trial period at any League club". Middlesbrough are understood to have been the only club to vote against.

Some clubs believed the League would then begin lobbying the Government over a change in legislation to allow standing in the second tier – as in the Premier League it is banned under a 1994 amendment to the Football Spectators Act 1989 – but the issue was instead dropped as the League remained to be convinced it was a battle worth fighting, despite what one chief executive labelled as an "overwhelming mandate from the Championship".

In a letter sent to Championship clubs in April the League's chief operating officer, Andy Williamson, wrote "it was agreed that the League should not advocate rail seating/safe standing. The matter will not be progressed by the League but if a club wishes to pursue this initiative then that is a matter for them".

It is a response described as a "complete cop-out" by a Championship chief executive who was at the meeting. There is a concern among some Championship clubs that the League does not have the appetite to push the issue, given the stance of the Premier League and the government. Without the support of the Football League there is no chance of Championship clubs being given permission to hold trials of a system based on the model successfully used in Germany, where seats can be tipped up to allow standing for designated fixtures. Club grounds have to be licensed by the Sports Ground Safety Authority, which has no plans to allow standing.

The SGSA no longer opposes the contemporary version of standing because of safety issues, but it and the Association of Chief Police Officers cite concerns over crowd management. Another executive at a Championship club suggested the authorities were too ready to use the spectre of hooliganism as a "convenient" way to reject any move towards standing.

The Government could instruct the SGSA to allow trials to take place but, without the backing of the Premier and Football Leagues, is unlikely to be convinced, as the Sports Minister, Hugh Robertson, put it late last year, of the "very clear demand" for its return.

Yet the number of clubs in favour of safe standing is growing. Both the promoted clubs, Cardiff City and Hull City, support it, as do Crystal Palace and Watford, who contest the play-off final next week. Aston Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle United and Swansea City are in favour, while senior figures at West Ham United and Arsenal have indicated a willingness to explore the issue. David Gold, West Ham's chairman, wants a rail-seat section in the Olympic Stadium.

Villa have emerged as the biggest supporters among top-flight clubs, having even earmarked an area within Villa Park where a trial would be staged. Outside the top flight support is widespread. Brentford also back safe standing – their chairman, Greg Dyke, is soon to take on the chairmanship of the Football Association.​

Hal9000

Bit of a bump but all 72 Football League clubs have voted in favor of introducing safe standing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26079503

Football League calls for safe-standing areas in Championship
Football League clubs have backed calls for the introduction of safe-standing areas at Championship grounds.

All-seater stadiums have been compulsory in the Championship and Premier League since an inquiry into the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans.

Safe-standing areas, featuring retractable seats, have been introduced abroad, most notably in Germany.

At a Football League meeting, all 72 clubs voted in favour of the plans.

Peter Daykin, safe-standing co-ordinator for the Football Supporters' Federation, welcomed the decision and urged the government to support its plans.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "It's a very significant development in the campaign for standing areas in football.

"We're approaching 25 years since the Hillsborough disaster and both football and policing technology is a completely different ball game now."

On 15 April, 1989, during an FA Cup semi-final tie against Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium, 95 Liverpool fans were killed while a 96th was left in a coma and died in 1993.

In September 2012, Prime Minister David Cameron said the police had failed to do enough to stop the Leppings Lane end of the ground becoming overcrowded and found the safety of the crowds had been "compromised at every level".

Daykin says football stadia are much safer now, with improved attitudes and policing techniques.

He added: "If you unpick what happened at Hillsborough, we have successive reports, starting with the Taylor Report in 1990 and finishing with the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report, and they list the reasons why it took place.

"There are numerous reasons, including an attitude that didn't value football fans, where they were able to stand in areas without a safety certificate on crumbling terraces.

"The report also lists criminally negligent policing, poor stewarding, fences and all sorts of things that conspired for Hillsborough to happen.

“There is no such thing as safe standing. I don't understand why people want to go backwards after so many steps forward”

Margaret AspinallHillsborough Family Support Group
"There were specific issues with the stadium architecture that exacerbated that but with a safe-standing area at Leppings Lane as it is today, then it wouldn't have happened."

However, Margaret Aspinall of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, still opposes any plans to allow standing at football matches.

She told BBC Radio 5 live: "We have listened carefully to the arguments but, as far as the Hillsborough Family Support Group is concerned, we had a vote on this and it was a unanimous vote that there is no such thing as safe standing.

"I do not understand why people want to go backwards after so many steps forward."

A rail-seating system, where a seat can be unlocked or locked to create a standing or seated area, is used at some of Germany's biggest grounds, including at Borussia Dortmund's Westfalenstadion, which has a capacity of more than 80,000.

Dr Clifford Stott, from the University of Leeds, is one of Europe's leading experts on football crowd management. He said: "Standing goes on all the time in areas designed for seating and it's more dangerous than if we moved to a rail seating system."

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey believes that the issue has to be debated, but does not expect to see any potential changes implemented in the near future.

He said: "The consultation has given us a better understanding of the wide range of views held by clubs on this issue and we will take our cue from the prevailing opinion.

"We recognise this is both a complicated and sensitive matter that will need significant debate. Therefore, no-one should assume that it will lead to overnight change."

Blackburn managing director Derek Shaw said standing areas could help solve the issue facing most clubs where sections of fans stand in seating areas.

"If the option is there and the circumstances are right and everybody agrees it is safe, and it is passed by the authorities, then I think standing areas are absolutely fine," he said.

A spokesperson from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, added: "Safety for spectators in stadiums is absolutely paramount. The government will continue to work with football authorities on this issue."

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
There is no argument whatsoever against safe standing. If its introduction was actually debated in Parliament, I'm sure it would be passed.