Why are modern day football supporters so bitter and paranoid?

Plan M

I've been reading a few different footy forums of late and a general theme has occured to me: A high percentage of internet forum members come across as extremely paranoid, bitter or both.

So many supporters at so many forums think that the pundits/commentators are against their team but have a preference for their rivals. Yes, some pundits might have a soft spot for teams they've played for in the past but do they deserve the shit they get from the viewers?

"I fecking hate that commentator - he's clearly an ABU"

"I hate Jamie Redknapp - always favours the team playing against Man Utd"

"Alan Parry loves Liverpool, hates us though"

Then there's the Liverpool fans;

"I'm not subscribing to Sky anymore - United loving c**ts"

"Alan Parry fecking hates us"

"Martin Tyler's monkey (Andy Gray) fecking loves Man Yoo"

etc etc etc

Look at the shit Ray Wilkins gets. He's a gentle, friendly bloke - never has a bad word to say about anyone; but you've got internet hard men wanting his blood across various football forums across the land. Just because he's a bit annoying.

Then you've got the newspapers. Apparantly, they "hate Man Utd but love the London based clubs because their offices are based in London"

Why have football supporters become so hostile and bitter? Has it always been like this but we're only seeing it now because of the internet? Or is the modern football fan a complete and utter feckwit?

My word.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Who told you that we're bitter and paranoid? Who was it? Who? I bet it was Dalglish or Suarez...yeah, that'd be just like them, the bitter and paranoid bastids...
*seethes*

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It's fairly obvious... if you see the world through a prism of fanatical tribalism, even neutral views on the topic in question will seem to be set against yours. Since, usually, most people don't see through that same prism as you, it will therefore seem that most people are biased against you.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Randall - do you find it ironic that you're posting in a thread about football supporters being bitter?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve mate :)
Well then I'm not sure if that's a good thing for you :lol:

But I highly doubt it's 99% (interesting you phrase everything referring to others), but I do see what you are saying. I had a conversation earlier with someone much older than me about football journalism and punditry because I really think it has got more biased over the years. Not against any particular club of course, it just does seem to happen more.

That and yes, we are all pretty thick when it comes to emotive things like our team and having to listen to someone we think spouts nonsense whilst they are playing :)

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I think fans today in the internet forum era now have a place to express their feelings any time of the day, any mood, any emotion at any one time. Before the internet, fanzines, radio and at games where fans were able to express publicly what they thought. Fanzines were unable to print all letters so many didn't get published and only so many callers got through on the radio.
These days any fan with access to the net can vent at any moment.

Plan M

Well then I'm not sure if that's a good thing for you :lol:

But I highly doubt it's 99% (interesting you phrase everything referring to others), but I do see what you are saying. I had a conversation earlier with someone much older than me about football journalism and punditry because I really think it has got more biased over the years. Not against any particular club of course, it just does seem to happen more.

That and yes, we are all pretty thick when it comes to emotive things like our team and having to listen to someone we think spouts nonsense whilst they are playing :)
Yes, 99% was extremely OTT which is why I edited the OP.

...and you're right about the drink! :D

SteveJ

Scout
More seriously, people in general are pissed off about being lied to & ripped-off left, right & centre; football and the 'net are merely outlets for this anger, not the cause of it.

marjen

More seriously, people in general are pissed off about being lied to & ripped-off left, right & centre; football and the 'net are merely outlets for this anger, not the cause of it.
Yeah, I get it. That's why Liverpool-fans have taken such a fanatic stance in the Suarez-case.

"feck society, we're poor anyway, and the politicians don't know shit - I know, let's condone racism".

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah, I get it. That's why Liverpool-fans have taken such a fanatic stance in the Suarez-case.

"feck society, we're poor anyway, and the politicians don't know shit - I know, let's condone racism".
:lol:

Liverpool fans are a special case (even amongst football fans in general), as they'd tell you themselves.

Aint gota Kalou

Decent OP barring the bit on Wilkins. Sure he's friendly but he's hilariously clueless about football. I think I'm at that point where I enjoy hearing him commentate to see what he's going to come out with next.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I was just called bitter not 3 minutes ago by a Liverpool supporter on facebook after I made a comment about the Suarez kick on my friends status, who's also a Liverpool supporter.

His reasoning was that I never cut Liverpool players some slack. The guy has probably mostly seen my make cheeky remarks about Suarez or Carroll because I generally don't take the time out of my day to talk about Liverpool.

marjen

:lol:

Liverpool fans are a special case (even amongst football fans in general), as they'd tell you themselves.
Seriously though, in Norway for instance, there's not much to complain about in society, it's basically gotten to the point where the media has to invent some crisis relating to lacking butter(true story this), or something.

It doesn't stop people from being horribly unable to act objectively in issues regarding their (foreign) club of choice. I know grown men who tweets about "Evra needing to tell United-supporters to shut up about the Suarez-case", and that's quite something isn't it.

It's not just Liverpool-supporters though, not by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that they've showed themselves awfully up regarding this whole racism lark.

SteveJ

Scout
Good points, marjen.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I wish that I had started this thread. Fan paranoia makes me laugh. The BBC gets 1000's of letters a year from fans of every club claiming bias against their club. That just says to me that people see what they want to see and that it is more to do with a general fan perception than an actual legitimate bias against any particular club.

I like Ray Wilkins, his unguarded enthusiasm for the game is refreshing and it is interesting to see how a total optimist perceives the game, you can see why he would make a great coach, the effuse praise that he gives players must boost their confidence.

I think, all in all, people just take the game far too seriously these days. I also think that living vicariously through a football club to an extent where you can no longer see reason is quite worrying.

marjen

To be honest, it's terribly annoying watching fellow United-supporters complain about this. It's just cringeworthy.

It's really simple, success breeds a certain amount of envy, which from time to time will come to the surface. But there's no greater media conspiracy or bias against any one club, and it makes me laugh when people claim there is.

What cracks me the most up is Liverpool-supporters, again, ranting about how the FA are in Ferguson's pocket etc. It's just non-sense, and if anyone had proposed the political equivalent when it comes to conspiracy theories, they'd probably end up in a cell at an institution somewhere, but still, some people are unable to see the madness in it.

In the end, it just makes me sad, because I know deep down that so many United-supporters would be the same if we had suffered the same midtable obscurity that the scousers have while watching them win time and time again.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
To be honest, it's terribly annoying watching fellow United-supporters complain about this. It's just cringeworthy.

It's really simple, success breeds a certain amount of envy, which from time to time will come to the surface. But there's no greater media conspiracy or bias against any one club, and it makes me laugh when people claim there is.

What cracks me the most up is Liverpool-supporters, again, ranting about how the FA are in Ferguson's pocket etc. It's just non-sense, and if anyone had proposed the political equivalent when it comes to conspiracy theories, they'd probably end up in a cell at an institution somewhere, but still, some people are unable to see the madness in it.

In the end, it just makes me sad, because I know deep down that so many United-supporters would be the same if we had suffered the same midtable obscurity that the scousers have while watching them win time and time again.
I had to hear from City fans how SAF has the FA and therefore all refs in his pocket, that being the reason why Kompany got sent off in the FA Cup game against us. Shame that he couldn't use his control over the FA to get us a better draw than fecking City and Liverpool away in the first two rounds of the cup in the first place..

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Randall - do you find it ironic that you're posting in a thread about football supporters being bitter?
I am the least bitter football supporter I know.

seriously i have no idea why you have come to this conclusion

Mick1991

Lots more scrutiny of everything in general (footballers, referees, etc.) and I think general interaction between fans globally is leading to an unhealthy competition to prove ones loyalty/knowledge and seething contempt for the opposition.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It is human nature, when you find a true love you must defend it. Football for many people is like true love because It can never dissapoint you, there will be some bad moments but at top clubs most of the time there is only love. The team you support is there every week and you see it grow and grow and grow, likewise with the players. You feel an instant connection and thats when all hell breaks loose! Your brain makes you think that your team isnt at fault for anything, you never want to blame your team for a mistake because its easier to not get disappointed and also its easier to blame the referee or anyone else.

x42bn6

It is very easy to ignore evidence that goes against your views (confirmation bias). In fact, the very idea that you and your club might be wrong is so awful, it is never considered (cognitive dissonance).

Much of this ties into conspiracy theorists' ways of thinking.

Perhaps... Maybe it's you that's wrong. Just maybe.

Pablo76

Of course it has nothing at all to do with the fact that 99% of internet forum regulars are'nt match going regulars?

This forum is not even close to being a true representation of supporters at Old Trafford on a match day, shock horror.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I actually quite like Ray Wilkins. He comes out with some right shit at times and overuses a few phrases a bit but I like when he's explaining why a player takes up the position he takes and things like that, it's good for kids.

Denis' cuff

Sky have taken on a role of "re-inventing" the game and as a result they have to justify "their product" and whip up more interest than is really healthy. The press have to compete with pure fantasy that we see on a daily basis and then, of course, the internet, where people sound off far more than they would face to face. I'm sure most, on here, who call people muppets and far worse from the safety of their annonimity, would think twice about behaving the same way in person, with the prospect of a smack on the nose for their boldness. That is how it was pre-internet and pre-Sky. People contained their opinions a bit more until Saturday when the opportunity for a bit of biffo was rife, for those so inclined whilst most of us were satisfied with a good airing of the old lungs. Maybe the absence of violence, which, although obviously a curse on the game at the time, it did provide an outlet for those who needed it. As has been pointed out before, there's that photo of the ruck with Leeds with Bremner, Jack Charlton, Law and Crerand ripping lumps out of each other whilst the crowd in the background looked on passively....and believe me, the hatred between the clubs was as bad as anything before or since. An attempt to cripple Gareth Bale last night left the player dazed and bruised and deservedly got a Liverpool player booked, which is the least he should've got - but the crowd, usurprisingly for them, particularly took it out on the victim. Crazy really. Maybe that's an extreme case, citing those desperate bellends but still, it happens. Not saying thse are the only reasons but they seem to be a piece of the jigsaw. The game has probably become too important for a lot of us.

Denis' cuff

It's fairly obvious... if you see the world through a prism of fanatical tribalism, even neutral views on the topic in question will seem to be set against yours. Since, usually, most people don't see through that same prism as you, it will therefore seem that most people are biased against you.
but this is probably a better explanation

:)

jim

In most joy
Of course it has nothing at all to do with the fact that 99% of internet forum regulars are'nt match going regulars?

This forum is not even close to being a true representation of supporters at Old Trafford on a match day, shock horror.
And a football stadium is a model of neutrality and unbiased analysis?

Liam147

On Probation
Decent OP barring the bit on Wilkins. Sure he's friendly but he's hilariously clueless about football. I think I'm at that point where I enjoy hearing him commentate to see what he's going to come out with next.
See it's things like this I don't understand. Do you really think you're also hilariously clueless about football, or do you think you know more than an ex football manager and Chelsea assistant?

Hell even Redknapp probably knows what he's on about, he just struggles to form coherent sentences making him sound utterly clueless.

acnumber9

I've been reading a few different footy forums of late and a general theme has occured to me: A high percentage of internet forum members come across as extremely paranoid, bitter or both.

So many supporters at so many forums think that the pundits/commentators are against their team but have a preference for their rivals. Yes, some pundits might have a soft spot for teams they've played for in the past but do they deserve the shit they get from the viewers?

"I fecking hate that commentator - he's clearly an ABU"

"I hate Jamie Redknapp - always favours the team playing against Man Utd"

"Alan Parry loves Liverpool, hates us though"

Then there's the Liverpool fans;

"I'm not subscribing to Sky anymore - United loving c**ts"

"Alan Parry fecking hates us"

"Martin Tyler's monkey (Andy Gray) fecking loves Man Yoo"

etc etc etc

Look at the shit Ray Wilkins gets. He's a gentle, friendly bloke - never has a bad word to say about anyone; but you've got internet hard men wanting his blood across various football forums across the land. Just because he's a bit annoying.

Then you've got the newspapers. Apparantly, they "hate Man Utd but love the London based clubs because their offices are based in London"

Why have football supporters become so hostile and bitter? Has it always been like this but we're only seeing it now because of the internet? Or is the modern football fan a complete and utter feckwit?

My word.

Whay are you obsessed with labelling things RAWKish just for saying a player should be booked?