Douglas Costa

Status
Not open for further replies.

^Red Devil^

Brazilian 'jewel' Costa hit with £21m buy-out clause after reports link him with United

By Ashley Gray
Last updated at 2:23 PM on 07th October 2008

* Comments (0)
* Add to My Stories

A midfielder dubbed 'the new jewel of Brazilian football' has been hit with a £21million buy-out clause after reports linking him to Manchester United.

The Premier League champions are thought to be monitoring Gremio prodigy Douglas Costa, who has also caught the eye of Real Madrid and Barcelona.

After recently turning 18, the skilful Under 19 international signed a new deal at the Brazilian league leaders, increasing his buy-out clause from £5m.
Douglas Costa

Douglas Costa has impressed at Gremio and has been dubbed the 'jewe' of Brazilian football

Douglas Costa has already trained with the senior Brazil squad and has begun to impress for Gremio, scoring from 20 yards in Saturday's 2-1 win against Botafogo.

He has been highly praised by coaches and team-mates but the teenager said, modestly: 'I don't have think about this. I only have that to play football.

'I face this with calmness. I am not a star.'

Many observers have compared him to another Gremio talent who is already playing at Old Trafford - Anderson - and believe Douglas Costa is showing more promise at this early stage of his career.

If United are not put off by the price-tag he would join Anderson, Rodrigo Possebon and the Da Silva twins - Rafael and Fabio - as part of a growing, youthful Brazilian influence at Old Trafford.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-buy-clause-reports-link-United.html?ITO=1490

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Gremio, hmmm, that's the club Lucas played for when he was top scorer in the league! :smirk:

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
A player like what? In fairness we know little about him. Assuming for a second, he was the new 'jewel of Brazilian football', then he'd most likely go for a similar price to the one quoted i reckon.
Not a chance, extremely unlikely that he will go for over £10 million even if he is something special. Gremio needs cash.

Name Changed

weso26
A player like what? In fairness we know little about him. Assuming for a second, he was the new 'jewel of Brazilian football', then he'd most likely go for a similar price to the one quoted i reckon.
For that reason precisely.

Ferguson never really goes buying top up and coming South American talent. Fair enough, we have Rafel, Fabio and Rodrigo, but none were bought for big money. None were playing for their country or even for their clubs at this stage. The only player he did buy from South America for a decent amount of money was Forlan.

We are never really linked to any real up and coming player, even ones that a rated extremely high. Look at all the players that have come over to Europe in the last few years that were so highly rated yet we were nowhere near them: Sergio Agüero, Robinho, Higuin, Kaka, Mancini, Pato, the list could go on. Buying players for big money is something SAF just doesn't seem to do. He seems to like spending inordinate amounts of money on players based in England.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Ferguson never really goes buying top up and coming South American talent. Fair enough, we have Rafel, Fabio and Rodrigo, but none were bought for big money. None were playing for their country or even for their clubs at this stage. The only player he did buy from South America for a decent amount of money was Forlan.
Anderson? Veron?

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
Yup its very rare that fergie has bought big money purchase directly from SA,and tbh i really also can't see it happening in the near future,,,

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Hardly any players leave the Brazilian league for Europe for more than £15m, and plenty of them have been named the new jewel of Brazilian football.

When he leaves he'll go for around half of that.

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th

We are never really linked to any real up and coming player, even ones that a rated extremely high. Look at all the players that have come over to Europe in the last few years that were so highly rated yet we were nowhere near them: Sergio Agüero, Robinho, Higuin, Kaka, Mancini, Pato, the list could go on. Buying players for big money is something SAF just doesn't seem to do. He seems to like spending inordinate amounts of money on players based in England.

I don't think that it is practical most of the time as the immigration laws of the UK are prohibitive. If the young fellas are really any good they hardly want to go to Antwerp for three years until they can get a permit (ala Dong).

x42bn6

I don't think that it is practical most of the time as the immigration laws of the UK are prohibitive. If the young fellas are really any good they hardly want to go to Antwerp for three years until they can get a permit (ala Dong).
There is the "proper" route - the Carlos Vela route (bugger off to Spain for 3 years then come back).

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
There is the "proper" route - the Carlos Vela route (bugger off to Spain for 3 years then come back).
Yeah, but it is still difficult for United to compete with the rules and regs of Spain, Italy, France, etc when it comes to work permits. Then you have the language problem - unfortunately it limits our "foreigners with English as a mother tongue" to feckin Canucks, Septics, Aussies and Kiwis - not exactly footballing giants!

Status
Not open for further replies.