“ If De Bruyne (£68m) has an off day, City have Mahrez (£61m), Sterling (£57m), Silva (£45m), Foden, Gundogan (£24m), & Ferran (£21m)

Rolaholic

Of course it’s that reason It’s why we need Grealish and Haaland.

The man is over performing but people are too shortsighted to see it.

Pogba is largely shit and so is mata and James.

VDB is just a shit signing.
I'll have whatever you're smoking mate

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Which players has Ole made worse?
Which has he made better? Shaw has always been a good player when not injured. Fred is still erratic same as McT. Bruno for burn out is way off form, Maquire/ linderof haven't improved and Martial, Greenwood and Rashford certainly haven't.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is De Bruyne better than Bruno? Is Sterling better than Rashford? Is Gundogan better than Pogba or VDB? Is Ferran better than Greenwood? Is Mahrez better then on form Martial?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I understand that due to their successes City buy from a position of strength and we don't but that doesn't mean we couldn't have done better with our outlay either. I mean the last two seasons alone we spent upwards of 250m and apart from Bruno I don't think we spent it efficently at all.
We have spent around 275 million. Of that roughly 35 million was on teenage talent not ready to make an impact.

We have raised roughly 100 million in that time.
This is a good way to think of it. This is the last game United played before Ole took over:

De Gea

Darmian,
Bailly,
Lindelof,
Young

Dalot,
Lingard,
Hererra,
Matic,
Rashford,
Lukaku

Fellaini, Mata and Martial made it off the bench. Jones didn’t.
Has the roughly 150 million pound net spend in that time been value for money?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Which has he made better? Shaw has always been a good player when not injured. Fred is still erratic same as McT. Bruno for burn out is way off form, Maquire/ linderof haven't improved and Martial, Greenwood and Rashford certainly haven't.
If you are honestly arguing that Rashford, Shaw, Fred and McTominay haven’t improved under Ole you are actually insane.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Diallo didn’t confirm the signing till January and Pellestri was clearly signed for the reserves.
Do you really think including them makes your point better?
Did we spend money on them yes or no? Is he using them yes or no? That’s nearly £100m basically down the drain.

izec

Free attack.
Can't beat Palace....
Fee is irrelevant, more like market value and talent. One example is enough to illustrate that.
Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets were all free as well. But they were the best players in their respective positions in the last 20 years.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Is De Bruyne better than Bruno? Is Sterling better than Rashford? Is Gundogan better than Pogba or VDB? Is Ferran better than Greenwood? Is Mahrez better then on form Martial?
Yes,
Yes,
No (clearly better than VDB)
No but very odd question,
Pretty close.
Now add in Bernardo Silva, Aguero, Jesus and Foden against James, Cavani and Shoretime.

RedDevilzFox

I would say one thing, we should consider our investments in youth with a grain of salt. 18-20 year olds are not ready to play for the team and we can't wait indefinitely for them to make an impact. We waited for Rashford, Martial, Lingard, McT and now with Greenwood. While none of them are bad players I don't feel like we can win the league with them anytime soon.

Need to add some age and experience to the team, more in the age group of Bruno of 25-28. So I was quite surprised when we blew a large wad of cash on Diallo. I think its stupid.

HailtotheKing

City are on another planet in every respect. And yes, we had players out. Our creative players. But if players aren't performing, you change them. Or you change tactics and formations. Ole does nothing except put them out there and hope. He doesn't try anything, he doesn't take risks. He just hopes that one of his players will pull off a piece of individual magic that will bail him out - as they've done countless times (all those one-goal wins - West Ham, Southampton, Villa, etc. We're suffering because Bruno is our main creative outlet and without Pogba, it's easier to mark him out of the game. But Ole is still culpable.

This was his response after the game:

'Of course, we had Shola or Amad, but which one of those five would you take off? That was my quandary in the last 10, 15 minutes. I felt Mason, Bruno and Marcus could get a goal.'

His reliance on his "trusted" players is criminal. And if they are not doing it, he just has no alternative solutions. And they're becoming less and less likely to do it, the more he drives them into the ground.

He has to trust his other players. He has to take risks. And he has to be more proactive in his in-game management and subs.

He's moved us forward but I fear he's reached his ceiling.

I think he needs to bring in better coaches.

The point of the tweet is to say that City’s attack is much more potent than ours and has much more options. Saying City’s attack is cheaper ignores the fact that players like Sterling/Aguero and De Bruyne were signed long before the market exploded. However, they’ve got a strength in depth to rotate/keep fresh/bring players into form. A luxury we don’t have- listing Mata and Fred as viable attacking players doesn’t change that fact.
The tweet is ignoring strikers and specifically calling out a lack of creativity. If you want to include Aguero, he surely goes straight into the missing bin and then you're left comparing Jesus to Martial/Cavani.

If De Bruyne and Sterling (2015) were signed long before the market exploded, then the same goes for Martial and Mata. Pogba was signed the season after, which was still a year before the Neymar deal blew the lid off the transfer market. And if you wish, replace Mata and Fred with Diallo, it makes no difference to the central point.

All I'm saying is, including the fees, especially the paltry ones for Gundogan and Ferran, does him no favours, because it detracts from the core of his argument: lack of quality and depth in creative positions.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Given the context(United trying to get back to former glory), that is the saddest list of signings I've seen. Not a single starter. And before you bring up Cavani: he's in his mid-30's and a marginal improvement to Martial at best.
I agree with you. Why didn’t we use that money on a starter?

Maticmaker

What? Ake cost £41m and Maguire cost £80m. How is that not much cheaper?
Its not but the irony is we could have got Maguire for £75m, its what Leicester originally asked and we refused to pay... then after much negotiation and wasting months, we argued them up to £80m, plus add -ons.

I think this tells us a lot about what's going on inside OT?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Your argument now is that the money on Pellestri and Diallo is down the drain.
Think before you type.
He spent nearly £100m this season & hasn’t used any of the players he’s bought. So yes, to Ole it may as well be money down the drain as he won’t be here for Diallo & Pellestri’s peak, so yes, he should have spent wiser.

OleBoiii

I agree with you. Why didn’t we use that money on a starter?
I 100% blame the board. We practically made all our signings in the last day. It reeked of panic.

You don't strengthen your bench before you are happy with the starting XI. I refuse to believe that Ole is happy with that solution.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He spent nearly £100m this season & hasn’t used any of the players he’s bought. So yes, to Ole it may as well be money down the drain as he won’t be here for Diallo & Pellestri’s peak, so yes, he should have spent wiser.
that short term thinking is what got us into this mess in the first place.

RashyForPM

your example of Pep is when he played Delap. Out of interest do you give any credit for Ole for Greenwood/Williams/Mctominay/Henderson/Amad/Chong/Tunazebe/Shoretime?
Greenwood, Williams and Dean, yes I do. The rest are either Mourinho’s finds or have played like one game. I’m not saying doesn’t give young players a chance, but that he plain and simply rarely takes risks to win us a tight game.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Greenwood, Williams and Dean, yes I do. The rest are either Mourinho’s finds or have played like one game. I’m not saying doesn’t give young players a chance, but that he plain and simply rarely takes risks to win us a tight game.
So again, to make clear... Pep takes risks to win us a tight game by playing Delap once... Ole making Mason a starter doesn’t count as much?

Lewnited

Ah gotcha, so that's why we dropped points against Sheffield United, West Brom and Palace - we need to spend another £200 million. Why didn't anyone just say that in the first place? :)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

that short term thinking is what got us into this mess in the first place.
yes but Ole is not going to last long enough to make use of the 2 young lads he’s brought in. Why sign van de Beek? Mata is an adequate backup number 10 & Bruno never gets injured. Why sign Telles? Why not just keep Dalot as backup who never plays & spend the money on Sancho, the player he actually wanted?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The tweet in the OP is overly simplistic, dumb, strawmanny, misleading, and missing the point.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Ah gotcha, so that's why we dropped points against Sheffield United, West Brom and Palace - we need to spend another £200 million. Why didn't anyone just say that in the first place? :)
Why are other teams in the prem regularly dropping points against them out of interest?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Fee is irrelevant, more like market value. One example is enough to illustrate that.
Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets were all free as well. But they were the best players in their respective positions in the last 20 years.
I agree. It's not about how much they cost. Market value isn't perfect either because age, contract status etc comes into that.

Greenwood is worth far more than Townsend but isn't that much more effective as a PL forward at this stage in his career.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
yes but Ole is not going to last long enough to make use of the 2 young lads he’s brought in. Why sign van de Beek? Why sign Telles? Why not just keep Lingard & Dalot as backups who never play & spend the money on Sancho, the player he actually wanted?
Because Lingard and Dalot have been here for years and were not good enough. Sancho might not have been available. The signing on fees and wages might make it a lot more money.
We spent 50 million roughly on first team players.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
we have a squad to compete with City?

can you do me a favour. If I list two first elevens, can you compare who you think would get into the rest of the teams if those players were out?

De Gea,

Wan Bisaka,
Lindelof,
Maguire,
Shaw

Pogba,
Mctominay,
Bruno

Rashford,
Cavani,
Martial

v

ederson,
Walker,
Stones,
Dias,
Cancelo

Gundogan,
Rodri,
De Bruyne

Sterling,
Foden,
Mahrez
It is all about coaching and players form. Because these players aren't in form beside just a handful, the advantage will go to city. However, when in form and have better direction, our players will have the advantage. As seen when in form MMM was the best attack in Europe last season. Pogba and Bruno were also some of the best midfielders and our defense was among the best. We have the team and depth to compete, we just need the coaching and players to find back that form.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The tweet in the OP is overly simplistic, dumb, strawmanny, misleading, and missing the point.
What is the point then?

my point is:
Man City have a much stronger squad than us and have handled the corona season much more effectively as a result. Despite having a worst first eleven than those around us and having a relatively low net spent Ole has improved the squad, the league position and average age of the club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This is the problem Ole outers don't grasp.

It's like they think sacking him will make us better than them. They will still be backed by a man worth 40bn, with a superior squad and managed by arguably the greatest tactical head coach we've seen for decades if not ever.

Allegri out. Allegri isn't the answer. Allegri is no better than Ole and Jose coming to these forums soon. Absolute no doubt in my mind.

It's easy. Which of the following players are currently playing to their potential?

De Bruyne
Mahrez
Sterling
Silva
Foden
Gundogan
Ferran

Now do the same for our players. It doesn't matter who the players are if the manager and coaches can't get the best out of them.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It is all about coaching and players form. Because these players aren't in form beside just a handful, the advantage will go to city. However, when in form and have better direction, our players will have the advantage. As seen when in form MMM was the best attack in Europe last season. Pogba and Bruno were also some of the best midfielders and our defense was among the best. We have the team and depth to compete, we just need the coaching and players to find back that form.
Okay, you say we have the squad depth to compete. Can you just make a “second eleven” of city v united.

I think it would look like this:

Henderson,

Telles,
Bailly,
Tuanazebe,
Williams

Matic,
Fred,
VDB

james,
Greenwood,
Diallo

V

? ( I don’t actually know city’s back up keeper)

Zinchenko,
Laporte,
Ake,
Mendy

fernandino,
Bernardo Silva,
Foden

Aguero,
Jesus,
Torres

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's easy. Which of the following players are currently playing to their potential?

De Bruyne
Mahrez
Sterling
Silva
Foden
Gundogan
Ferran

Now do the same for our players. It doesn't matter who the players are if the manager and coaches can't get the best out of them.
Can you do the same for players outside of City. Which players in the league are currently bang in form?

Salah,
Mane,
Firminio,
Kane,
Son,
Aubamayang,
Werner,
Abraham,
Pulisic,

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What is the point then?

my point is:
Man City have a much stronger squad than us and have handled the corona season much more effectively as a result. Despite having a worst first eleven than those around us and having a relatively low net spent Ole has improved the squad, the league position and average age of the club.
The point is our squad is capable of doing better than it’s doing.

It’s capable of not having three consecutive 0-0 draws and barely a shot on target.

It’s capable of not losing to Sheffield fecking United.

Forget about City, I don’t care about them, I’m only bothered about United and in my view we’re limited by our manager.

I’ve not changed my mind on this in however long it’s been that he’s had the job, but no doubt I’ll be called knee jerk or whatever other soundbytes get thrown around on here.

Lewnited

Why are other teams in the prem regularly dropping points against them out of interest?
What does that have to do with Manchester United, who have a better squad than 90% of the league? What I do know is that I do know is that going from topping the table by 3 to trailing by 14 points in the space of a few weeks is nothing short of shocking. Unless of course that's acceptable to you? By all means, feel free to tell me how many of West Brom's players walk in to our squad.

OleBoiii

This is the problem Ole outers don't grasp.

It's like they think sacking him will make us better than them.
I think it's a tough pill for some to swallow. If simply changing the manager isn't the solution then it means that our problems run much deeper and it may take a really long time to fix. Given the extreme impatience often shown by the same posters, there's no wonder they double down and blame the manager.

I like to live in the real world. Our problems run so deep that no manager can fix this mess bar a freaky season of over-performances followed by an inevitable drop. Not with out current board and players.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
What does that have to do with Manchester United, who have a better squad than 90% of the league? What I do know is that I do know is that going from topping the table by 3 to trailing by 14 points in the space of a few weeks is nothing short of shocking. Unless of course that's acceptable to you? By all means, feel free to tell me how many of West Brom's players walk in to our squad.
The point is apart from City we have had a better season than every other squad. That is the point.